The Official Chelsea Premiership Champions Thread 2005/06

JoeyM

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gregg Carter:

I predict that this thread might beat the previous record length for a chelsea thread of 40 pages for a season just by a whisker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought maybe the Chelsea fans had boycott this one. But that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by strong centreback:

i dont know about any other chelsea fans, but i know that if we are gonna go out and spend 20M on a central midfielder i would prefer ballack over essian (if bayern would sell that is) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I undestand what you're saying as Ballack has proven himself at the highest level and has been a superb player for a number of seasons.

However i feel that Essien would be the better choice as he is younger and would fit in better alongside Maka and Frank. Ballack plays too similar a positiona as Lampard whereas Essien is a bit of everything, like Gerrard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Chelsea suffer new Essien setback

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has insisted midfielder Michael Essien will not be sold to Chelsea.

Aulas claimed Essien is staying as new boss Gerard Houllier signed striker John Carew from Besiktas in a £5m deal.

He said: "I have always said that Essien and Mahamadou Diarra will stay. There were a lot of frustrating rumours for me."

Chelsea are reported to have had a £16.75m offer for 22-year-old Essien turned down by Lyon.

Aulas wants to build Houllier's new side around Essien and Diarra and said: "I confirm that they will stay, as well as Juninho. Having all of them in our team makes it stronger than before."

He added: "The best recruitment starts by keeping the team's best players, and that's what we've done."

Carew, 26, has signed a four-year contract after also having spells playing for AS Roma in Italy and Valencia in Spain.

"We had talks on Saturday and then all Sunday with the player and Besiktas management," said Aulas.

"It's great news for Lyon. He has been one of the club's priorities for several seasons but we were never able to see it through.

"We are very happy with the conclusion. He will boost the squad wth so much power and speed."

Houllier said: "For us it's a chance to take him and for him an opportunity to rebound after two or three average seasons on his part."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif Nobody wants to sell us any players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by strong centreback:

been looking around other chelsea forums and i found a thread at this place where a member had done some mock-ups of our centenary kits, what does everybody think if these are what they end up as?

home

away

third </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello AFC Wimbledon.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Chelsea snap up Reading teenager

Chelsea have snapped up promising 14-year-old Thomas Lyskov from Reading on a five-year contract.

The Premiership champions swooped for the left-sided player after he spent four years with Reading's academy.

Reading's academy director Eamonn Dolan told the club's website: "We are very disappointed to lose him after putting so much effort into his development.

"We will be seeking appropriate compensation from Chelsea for a player with such massive potential."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Administrators

It's no co-incidence the guy who runs our Academy, Brendan Rogers, worked for Reading for a long time in the same capacity, and would know about Lyskov and probably other highly rated kids there. So come one the guy with the Russian surname \o/

After another striker turned Chelsea down (Fernando Torres). I think you should sign Julio Baptista. He's been playing more and more of a striker. He has presence and is powerful. I think he'll be a great signing. He has also jsut said he wonts to go to the Prem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

It's no co-incidence the guy who runs our Academy, Brendan Rogers, worked for Reading for a long time in the same capacity, and would know about Lyskov and probably other highly rated kids there. So come one the guy with the Russian surname \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rogers isn't a Russian surname. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rsl:

SSN saying Kezman is in Madrid to talk with Athletico </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like Mourinho doesnt fancy him as a player then?

Who would have thought it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

His purchase record isn't that great is it? Weren't Cech and Robben done deals before Mourinho joined? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair to him he did purchase the premiership, which wasnt a bad buy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Father Senegal:

To be fair to him he did purchase the premiership, which wasnt a bad buy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Not Smertin actually. Jarovski?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

Drogba, Carvalho, Ferreria, Tiago and Kezman are the Mourinho buys i can think of. And Smertin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smertin was bought before wasnt he, and sent on loan to Portsmouth.

Theres that other bloke as well jaskovic or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

To be fair to him he did purchase the premiership, which wasnt a bad buy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha ha - excellent! icon14.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rsl:

Who would have thought it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pffft. Players leave because they want to leave too you know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

Drogba, Carvalho, Ferreria, Tiago and Kezman are the Mourinho buys i can think of. And Smertin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - no Smertin, but Jarosik instead.

I've had similar doubts about Mourinho's prowess in the transfer market too.

RC and PF have been good, though IMO not outstanding - but he knew all about them.

Tiago I'm starting to see more and more how good he is in terms of tactical awareness, although he doesn't seem the most adept technically - maybe he just needs to get used to the pace and pressure of the prem.

DD has been talked about enough - I think next year will be his make or break season, he'll either be poor or absolutely fantastic - and if he's not the latter then he'll def be a failure.

And Kezman was still not given enough of a chance. To hit form as a striker you need a run of goals and games - with the latter needed to get the former going, and he never got that all year.

Besides, as I proved in the last thread, his goalscoring record is not as bad as everyone made it out to be.

Yes, but Mourinho's always said that he doesn't want to hold on to players that don't want to be there.

He's never had a bad word to say about Kez, but on the other hand Kez has come out several times and said he's unhappy about the situation.

Now that he's leaving, which logical conclusion would anyone come to - that Kez wanted to leave or that JM wanted him out?

Really Skybluedave?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Balague backs Del Horno move

by Tom Adams -

Sky Sports expert Guillem Balague believes that in Asier Del Horno Chelsea have captured one of Spanish football's best left backs and a player who will easily adjust to life in England.

The La Liga pundit is a keen admirer of the former Athletic Bilbao man]/b] who moved to The Blues for £8 million on Tuesday night, and enthused over his ability in an interview with Sky Sports News.

Del Horno has become Jose Mourinho's first summer signing as he looks to maintain the momentum that saw him capture The Premiership and Carling Cup trophies in his first, remarkable year in England.

The Spanish international is expected to usurp both William Gallas and Wayne Bridge in the pecking order at Stamford Bridge, and Balague has expounded on Del Horno's attacking abilities.

The 24-year-old does not have a very prominent profile outside of Spain after plying his trade for one of La Liga's less successful sides in Bilbao, although Balague is sure that he will prove a hit in England.

"I think there was always doubt about the left back position at Chelsea, at least in the mind of Jose, and I think he's got one of the best available left backs in Spain, no doubt," Balague told Sky Sports News.

"He's been linked to Barca, Real Madrid and Bilbao as a team don't usually sell players but they finally had to sell.

"The offer was probably more than they expected and came as a big sigh of relief.

"The money came as they started renewing some key players and Chelsea are getting an international left back, a man for the big occasions.

"He not only scored against England in the 1-0 victory recently, he has also scored five goals against Real Madrid.

"With him not being a goalscorer that is an extraordinary record.

"He is good in dead-ball situations, good header of the ball, much better attacking than defending as a left back but one that will also play in midfield if necessary because he is more of a left wing back than a full back."

Balague has also reassured Chelsea fans that he is confident Del Horno will have no problems acclimatising to the different demands of the Premier League.

Chelsea have also been pursuing Real Betis star winger Joaquin, although the Sky Sports expert is sure that Del Horno is more open to a move abroad than his international team-mate.

"He is the sort of player you can tell easily he can go anywhere," Balague continued.

"Not like Joaquin for example, you doubt whether he could move to another country and leave Seville behind.

"He [Del Horno] made up his mind about moving on and was happy to say yes, next year he was going to be somewhere else.

"No problems of adaptation, he's gone on holiday to London to check the situation and place and where he could be living, the offer was one he couldn't say no to."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't look like he thinks Del Horno is overrated at all!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skybluedave:

TBH Jose's tranfer record has been pretty lame. Will the same happen with Del Horno. I hear he's a bit overrated. And that's coming from Guilleme Balague. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldnt agree with that, mourinhos record at buying players is average to good in my opinion, tiago has done what he was brought to chelsea to do, a squad player with above average ability, same goes for jarosik.

Carvalho and ferreria have been positive additions to the first team.

Drogba hasnt been to bad when you consider that the injuries he had stopped him building up any kind of consistenacy, he ended with 16 from 41, so id give him the benefit of the doubt for next season, but i wouldnt argue that 24M was way to much to pay shouldve been closer to 15M imo.

Kezman unfourtunately cant handle the premierships style of footy and will probably score 20 odd goals in la liga next year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

Who would have thought it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pffft. Players leave because they want to leave too you know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course he wants to leave, because he knows he won't play much, because Mourinho doesnt fancy him as a player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

Really Skybluedave?

by Tom Adams -

Sky Sports expert Guillem Balague believes that in Asier Del Horno Chelsea have captured one of Spanish football's best left backs and a player who will easily adjust to life in England.

The La Liga pundit is a keen admirer of the former Athletic Bilbao man]/b] who moved to The Blues for £8 million on Tuesday night, and enthused over his ability in an interview with Sky Sports News.

Del Horno has become Jose Mourinho's first summer signing as he looks to maintain the momentum that saw him capture The Premiership and Carling Cup trophies in his first, remarkable year in England.

The Spanish international is expected to usurp both William Gallas and Wayne Bridge in the pecking order at Stamford Bridge, and Balague has expounded on Del Horno's attacking abilities.

The 24-year-old does not have a very prominent profile outside of Spain after plying his trade for one of La Liga's less successful sides in Bilbao, although Balague is sure that he will prove a hit in England.

"I think there was always doubt about the left back position at Chelsea, at least in the mind of Jose, and I think he's got one of the best available left backs in Spain, no doubt," Balague told Sky Sports News.

"He's been linked to Barca, Real Madrid and Bilbao as a team don't usually sell players but they finally had to sell.

"The offer was probably more than they expected and came as a big sigh of relief.

"The money came as they started renewing some key players and Chelsea are getting an international left back, a man for the big occasions.

"He not only scored against England in the 1-0 victory recently, he has also scored five goals against Real Madrid.

"He is good in dead-ball situations, good header of the ball, much better attacking than defending as a left back but one that will also play in midfield if necessary because he is more of a left wing back than a full back."

Balague has also reassured Chelsea fans that he is confident Del Horno will have no problems acclimatising to the different demands of the Premier League.

Chelsea have also been pursuing Real Betis star winger Joaquin, although the Sky Sports expert is sure that Del Horno is more open to a move abroad than his international team-mate.

"He is the sort of player you can tell easily he can go anywhere," Balague continued.

"Not like Joaquin for example, you doubt whether he could move to another country and leave Seville behind.

"He [Del Horno] made up his mind about moving on and was happy to say yes, next year he was going to be somewhere else.

"No problems of adaptation, he's gone on holiday to London to check the situation and place and where he could be living, the offer was one he couldn't say no to."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't look like he thinks Del Horno is overrated at all! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Balague has changed his tune. I remember an episode of Revista de la liga a few months ago where he said the thought of him playing for a top team in Europe was laughable. He's obviously changed his tune to please the Chelsea fans.

Really Skybluedave?

by Tom Adams -

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't look like he thinks Del Horno is overrated at all! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Balague has changed his tune. I remember an episode of Revista de la liga a few months ago where he said the thought of him playing for a top team in Europe was laughable. He's obviously changed his tune to please the Chelsea fans.

Why do we loan players off that are out of favour? I can understand the youngsters being sent down the divisions for experience but why loan Kezman? Id rather we just got rid of him. We better not be paying his wages while hes there. He will score loads of goals as well. Just give them away for free. Its not like we need the cash.

Inresting story, let's hope we do the right thing:

Swindon appeal to Chelsea

Story by Tim Bennett

28 June 2005

Swindon are hoping that Chelsea will waive their share of Sam Parkin's sell on clause, after the striker's move to Ipswich.

It's not known exactly how much the Robins now owe Chelsea after the sale of Sam Parkin to Ipswich last week, but it may be as much to £200,000 - pennies to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich that is nothing.

Tony Norris from TrustSTFC told the Swindon Evening Advertiser: "This would be a chance for them to show they do care about the game.

"It would actually show that the big Premier League club care about what's going outside their own little bubble.

"We can only guess at the sum involved at this stage but it would be significant to this club.

"To Chelsea it is probably one or two players' weekly wage,­ that's what we're talking about."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be a ******** Kenyon.

Some stuff about Del Horno.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Asier Del Horno: A Star In The Making

6/28/2005 5:54:00 PM

Asier Del Horno may not be well known outside of Spain, but Chelsea have just bought one of the best left-sided defenders in Europe and he is set to become a lynchpin in the Blues’ side as they look to retain their Premiership title next season, says Goal.com's Lucas Brown.

The £8million that the 24-year-old cost will seem like a snip if he continues to display the power and impressive technique that made him stand out at San Mamés and earn him a regular spot in the Spanish national side.

Del Horno is a prime example of the success of Athletic’s incredible production line that enables them to survive in one of the world’s toughest league’s whilst restricting themselves to a policy of Basque-only players.

Jose Mourinho may have wanted Milan’s Kakha Khaladze ahead of del Horno, but he could well end up breathing a sigh of relief that he signed the younger and hungrier player.

Del Horno joined Athletic when he was just eight years old, but he was split between playing football and the regional game of pelota, a fierce sport in which the players hit a hard ball with their hands against two high walls.

At the age of 11, del Horno was told that he could become a professional in either of his chosen sports, but Athletic set him an ultimatum to make a choice and he decided that football was where his future lay.

After working his way through the ranks he was rewarded for his performances in the club’s B team with his Primera debut in the 2000-01 campaign.

His first two season with the first team saw him catch the eye, but it has been his speed and power down the flank over the past couple of years that have catapulted him into the limelight.

He is strong in the tackle and devastating in the air, but it is his ability to charge down the wing to either deliver crosses from the left or meet centres from the right that make him such a great player.

Del Horno is rarely caught out of position and understands the role that he will be expected to play in Mourinho’s strict tactical plan.

His rise to the top continued when he was called into the Spain squad for the first time at the beginning of last season and made his debut against Scotland in Valencia in a hardfought encounter. He netted his first international goal when scoring the winner against England in the 1-0 win in the Bernabéu before Christmas.

Although fans of the Chelsea may not be aware of his talents, supporters of West Ham have already witnessed that he is no pushover on the physical side.

During a testimonial game for Julian Dicks in 2000, Del Horno was involved in a fight that saw him clash head on with former Hammers star Paolo di Canio. Athletic eventually lost the game 2-1.

Before deciding to join the Blues, Del Horno sought the advice of fellow Basque Xabi Alonso, who has proved to be such a roaring success in his first season in the Premiership with Liverpool.

After the ex-Real Sociedad midfielder sung the praises of the English game and the strength of Chelsea, del Horno put pen-to-paper on the move.

One thing that he may find hard to adjust to in London is the lack of coast line.

The player is a huge fan of sea fishing, although there is one major drawback to his hobby - he cannot travel on boats thanks to serious sea sickness.

Instead del Horno enjoys nothing more than standing on a beach or on a harbour wall and waiting for the day’s catch to take the bait, but he may have to put that all on hold until his next holiday in the Basque Country </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A sea-sick fisherman icon14.gif

Archived