#CarlosOut - The Sheffield Wednesday Project.

OllyAI

#CarlosOut - The Sheffield Wednesday Project.

5984f56ba92ac_SHEFFIELDWEDNESDAY.jpg.ff0bdf1cd9883b189282b89c2aff7e58.thumb.jpg.3deb5225307b8e6bca5b875d5e86fbad.jpg

Since relegation from the Premier League during the turn of the millennium, Sheffield Wednesday Football Club have been stuck in limbo never quite looking like returning to the glory days of the early 90's under managers such as Ron Atkinson and Trevor Francis. Times like in 2010 are a sobering reminder that this once great club almost dissolved under the poor ownership of chairman past... Luckily when all seemed lost a man by the name of Milan Mandaric stepped in at the 11th hour, purchasing the club for £1 and went on to clear all the clubs debts and set Sheffield Wednesday back on the right path and for this reason will always remain a legendary figure around Hillsborough's faithful. 

Fast Forward 5 years and an unknown entity going by the name of Dejphon Chansiri completes a £30 million takeover and looks to continue the great work of Milan Mandaric over the last half a decade. Armed with what seems to be an open check book and a great business mind he sets about overhauling the club. Carlos Carvalhal is appointed Head Coach and a boat load of players over the next 2 years are brought in, players of the calibre and price tag not seen to grace the pitch in years.

The Year now is 2017 with the past years still fresh in the mind of 2 "nearly seasons" Sheffield Wednesday must now set their sights on a "Third time lucky" attempt at gaining promotion back to the promised land. BUT with a somewhat ropy start to the season, a season in which so many supporters expect and demand that final push to see their club finally return to the Premier League. Discontent towards the manager beckons, boo's ring out around the stadium in frustration and many call for his head. 

This is where I step in. My main target is to get this once great club back to where many of it's Fans have been longing for, for nearly 2 decades. Bring back the good times. Turn Sheffield into once again a great footballing city standing side by side the likes of Manchester and Liverpool. I too share the same frustration and ambition of the Hillsborough gathering because this isn't just a club.. This is my Club too. 

Time to step aside Carlos. Thanks for the memories....

Stay tuned for updates...

THE TACTIC - 4-2-3-1

5a13800ff036e_sheffwedtactic.thumb.png.e222e6242af5f30fad1a7e1b6371668f.png

After taking a good look at the squad at my disposal I thought that we were more than capable of playing a more advanced formation as opposed to the standard 4-4-2 we operate with in real life.

I decided to take a "less is more approach" in terms of roles, TI's and there is also no PI's at this moment in time. Which also after Pre seasons performances I am still yet to add any.. What you see above is exactly what you get with this tactic nothing fancy behind the scenes. I will however before the first official game of the season adjust set pieces which I can post about should anyone request.

GK- Nothing out of the ordinary (He's just a goalkeeper) Might possibly add distribute to fullbacks but as of yet don't see a need. We are winning most Aerial battles from Goal kicks and if not we have plenty up top to win that second ball.

CB's - Standard CB pairing. Just stop strikers scoring.

CM's - Two DLPs. Dictating the game from the centre of the pitch and also shielding the back. Simple. The one on Defend duty covering the vacated space should the FB on attack bust forward.

CAM - "The Pain In The Arse" as I like to call him. Can make or break a game with his flair and eye for a through ball.

ST- Spearheading attacking moves. Main goalscoring threat.

Wing Pairings - I opted for different pairings on either side to add a bit more "unpredictability" to the way we use the wide areas. I see too often people mirroring wings and it resulting in very linear football.

Left Wing - FB/A & IF/S - Pretty Standard, the IF looks to cut inside from a wide position and the FB provides extra width and overlaps creating overloads on that side. IF also then able to use him as an option and get into the box as an extra threat to goal if he chooses to do so.

Right Wing - FB/S & W/S -  the more boring of the two parings but like previously mentioned, necessary to creating a less linear attacking approach. Winger aims to stay wide and get past his man and get a cross into the striker or IF possibly even the FB on the other side. whilst the FB just holds back a little more conservatively to give an extra passing option backwards to retain possession.  

Mentality, Shape and Team Instructions.

Standard Mentality - I interpret this much in the same way BUSTTHENET does. I see this as a scale of Risk and not as the names should suggest. Therefore I'm going with a balanced level of Risk just to see how we get on.

Flexible Shape - This is something I never really like to mess around with and don't fully understand and have never (atleast in my experience) see to make much of a difference.

TI's

Retain Possession - We want to retain possession, If the other team don't have the ball then they don't score...Right?!

Pass into Space - Look to make passes into open spaces exploit our unpredictability in wide areas perhaps?

Look for overlap - Want to make real use of our Fullback going forward.

Push Higher up - Close the gap between defence and midfield due to not deploying a defensive midfielder and perhaps limiting the space a opposition striker or CAM could drop into.

Higher Tempo - Move the ball around quickly and with a purpose.

That's all for now... I'll hopefully be back pretty soon to fill you in on how Pre-Season went, Staff changes, Transfers In and out, Training etc. before I kick off the season.

But I'll leave you with one result from my Pre season... ;)

Untitled-3.thumb.png.648f610cae38ca384e046947feeb56f7.png

Archived