Sports Interactive Community
michaeltmurrayuk

[FM18][MOD] Match Day Backgrounds Mod

2018_mod.thumb.png.8ea7f0fd8d76fc093df14b734f085322.png2018T_mod.thumb.png.1981bd1455a8c830e4443a03b4ce684b.png
Football Manager 2018 - Match Day Backgrounds Mod

This is a small mod that re-enables background images on the match screens in Football Manager 2018 and Football Manager Touch 2018.

Backgrounds should now shown on all match screens apart form the pitch and presentation views (which is where you want the pitch showing), however the backgrounds will not show when you are in-between highlights on the pitch view nor will it remove the grey stadium background from 2D Classic Mode, though like with the default skins backgrounds should show behind pinned widgets.

Also if you are using the Dark Skin (or the Dark Base Skin) you will need to edit it first to enable backgrounds (instructions are with the Base Skins).
lineups.thumb.jpg.ca736de931bde2cd6711ff5e9a856052.jpg  tactics.thumb.jpg.0172e12b9b2d9138f0c7587c9502ab18.jpg  review.thumb.jpg.d53423c149a4b48299d83e8060fa5273.jpg

Installation Instructions.

- First download the correct version of the mod for the game mode you are using.
- Extract the zip file and you should have a 'client_object' folder place this folder in the panels folder for the skin you are using.
- If you are using the default skins you will need to download and switch to the relevant Base Skin and place the folder in the panels folder for that Base Skin.
- Load up the game and if the skin cache is on you'll need to turn it off from the preferences menu and reload your skin (or switch to the Base Skin if you have been using the default skins).
- If on installing the mod you are prompted to overwrite any existing files then you will need to refer to the manual instructions in the below post to modify the file yourself as your skin has already modified the file in question.

FM18 MATCH DAY BACKGROUNDS MOD DOWNLOAD PAGE

(Page contains links to both Full Mode and Touch Version).

Change Log

v2.0 22nd December 2017 17:45 GMT.
- Touch Version Only - Updated for patch 18.2.1. (Full mode version doesn't need updating).

v3.0 16:16 GMT 2nd March 2018

- Full Mode Version Only - Updated for patch 18.3.0

---
Redistribution Terms
You are free to post this content to your website provided:
1. It is not sold or behind a paywall.
2. You don't advertise it as being exclusive to your website.
3. My username and blog address are included: http://michaeltmurrayuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited by michaeltmurrayuk
Updated Full Mode Version for patch 18.3.0

How to create the Mod.

If you just want to use the mod then download the above link, the below instructions are only for people who want to know what coding needs changing to create the mod, or are using an unsupported custom skin and thus need to modify the files themselves.

The file that needs to be modified is the 'client object browser' xml file located in the 'panels\client_object' folder of the skin you are using, if the file isn't present then you can extract the file from the 'skins\fm\panels\client_object' folder located within the skins.fmf file.

If you are using the Touch Mode then take the same file but from the 'skins\fmc\panels\client_object' folder located within the skins.fmf file instead as the default files are different, though the rest of the instructions are the same.

Now in that file locate this section of code (same code for both modes but it starts at line #50 for the full mode and line #13 for FMT):

<!-- match - covers entire lower part of screen when looking at a match -->
<widget class="match_highlights_panel" id="full" pitch_unique_id="full">

<attachment class="test_multiple_globals_attachment" default_value="true">
<list id="get_properties">
<record get_property="MatS" test_mode="0" value="false" skip_if_null="true" />
<record get_property="nfsM" test_mode="0" comparison_mode="1" value="true" skip_if_null="true" />
<record get_property="dtty" test_mode="1" comparison_mode="1" value="53" skip_if_null="true" />
</list>
<integer id="set_property" value="hidn" />
</attachment>

<record id="object_property">
<integer id="get_property" value="objt" />
<integer id="set_property" value="objt" />
</record>
</widget>

And directly below that code you want to paste in the following code:

<!-- match background picture - displays in match screens but not on pitch/trophy -->
<widget class="picture" scale_picture="true" keep_aspect_ratio="false">
<integer id="get_property" value="bgnd" />
<integer id="set_property" value="file" />
</record>
<record get_property="sect" test_mode="0" value="hilp" skip_if_null="false"/> <!-- hide on pitch view -->
<record get_property="sect" test_mode="0" comparison_mode="1" value="mpTP" skip_if_null="false"/> <!-- hide on trophy presentation -->

<record get_property="MatS" test_mode="0" comparison_mode="1" value="false" skip_if_null="true" /> <!-- show on other views -->
</list>
</attachment>
</widget>

So your file should now look something like this:

<!-- match - covers entire lower part of screen when looking at a match -->
<widget class="match_highlights_panel" id="full" pitch_unique_id="full">

<record get_property="MatS" test_mode="0" value="false" skip_if_null="true" />
<record get_property="nfsM" test_mode="0" comparison_mode="1" value="true" skip_if_null="true" />
<record get_property="dtty" test_mode="1" comparison_mode="1" value="53" skip_if_null="true" />
</list>
</attachment>

<integer id="get_property" value="objt" />
<integer id="set_property" value="objt" />
</record>
</widget>
<!-- match background picture - displays in match screens but not on pitch/trophy -->
<widget class="picture" scale_picture="true" keep_aspect_ratio="false">
<integer id="get_property" value="bgnd" />
<integer id="set_property" value="file" />
</record>
<record get_property="sect" test_mode="0" value="hilp" skip_if_null="false"/> <!-- hide on pitch view -->
<record get_property="sect" test_mode="0" comparison_mode="1" value="mpTP" skip_if_null="false"/> <!-- hide on trophy presentation -->

<record get_property="MatS" test_mode="0" comparison_mode="1" value="false" skip_if_null="true" /> <!-- show on other views -->
</list>
</attachment>
</widget>

And that is it you are now done. Save your file load up the game and if the skin cache is on turn it off from the preferences menu and reload your skin.

Is there any way I can change what backgrounds show up? The stadium images are 400x240 pixels so they're getting stretched out on the match screen.

41 minutes ago, Carlito85 said:

Is there any way I can change what backgrounds show up? The stadium images are 400x240 pixels so they're getting stretched out on the match screen.

It's determined by the config file for your background graphics, this is the line that should be used on the backgrounds:

<record from="stadium_blue" to="graphics/pictures/stadium/5100214/background"/>

Whilst this line is generally used for the small stadium pics:

<record from="stad_stad_yellow" to="graphics/pictures/stadium/5100214/stadium"/>

So if the background pack you are using only has small pics then remove the lines that look like the first line from your config file and the game will then just use the default background image or you can download a full sized stadium pack. (Also if you are using a skin that has added the various background images all over the place removing that line might remove the stadium pic from other parts of your skin).

2 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

It's determined by the config file for your background graphics, this is the line that should be used on the backgrounds:

<record from="stadium_blue" to="graphics/pictures/stadium/5100214/background"/>

Whilst this line is generally used for the small stadium pics:

<record from="stad_stad_yellow" to="graphics/pictures/stadium/5100214/stadium"/>

So if the background pack you are using only has small pics then remove the lines that look like the first line from your config file and the game will then just use the default background image or you can download a full sized stadium pack. (Also if you are using a skin that has added the various background images all over the place removing that line might remove the stadium pic from other parts of your skin).

Brilliant. Much thanks.

Is it possible to make the pinned widget and boxes added in the screenshot below more transparent?

20171128190033_1.jpg

@LeeCutty The widgets should be controlled by the graphics located here: boxes/subsection/standard/

You'll need to extract them from the fm-widgets skin found in the sitoolkit.fmf file and copy them over to the skin you are using then edit them in an image editing program.

If you don't know how to extract the files read this:

And if you don't know how to edit the graphics read this:

right ok so I have downloaded already made folders from website link above, I then downloaded skin and placed in panels folder unticked and reloaded and still nothing has changed what am I doing wrong am usually not bad with skins etc but this is driving me mad now

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:18, SortitoutsiVP said:

This makes the game look so much better.

btrCrpS.jpg

11MbHkJ.jpg

L8O0ZBf.jpg

how do u get these stadium pictures is there a link? I cant get skin to work on this page I have put download in panels but still nothing has changed please help

10 hours ago, Gizmo85 said:

how do u get these stadium pictures is there a link? I cant get skin to work on this page I have put download in panels but still nothing has changed please help

13 hours ago, Gizmo85 said:

right ok so I have downloaded already made folders from website link above, I then downloaded skin and placed in panels folder unticked and reloaded and still nothing has changed what am I doing wrong am usually not bad with skins etc but this is driving me mad now

The extracted 'client_object' folder needs to go in the panels folder for the skin you are using, By Default this would be;

Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2018\skins\<skin name>\panels\

If the panels folder doesn't exist create it.

Also make sure you haven't created any extra sub-folders the client_object folder needs to go in the above panels folder and when you open the client_object folder you should have an xml file called 'client object browser'.

If the skin you are using already has that file then you will need to edit the file following the instructions in the second post.

Also make sure you have switched to the skin you have downloaded.

Appreciate the work on this. 

When using the Base 2018 Touch Dark skin and this panels mod, I'm having some issues with buttons not showing up on the match screen (see the variation in the couple of screenshots below - in the top left of screen, the 'pitch, tactics analysis updates' row of buttons is missing when I'm using the mod). 

How can I fix this?

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 11.36.36.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 11.37.03.png

Edited by Ben Parker

@Ben Parker First make sure you are using the Touch Version of the mod not the one from the full version as the files are slightly different, if that isn't the problem then manually delete your cache files (make sure you delete the Touch version of the folders): https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2018/134_how-to/

If that doesn't work then the mod likely isn't fully compatible with the Touch mode so you'd need to remove it as I don't use touch mode so I'm not likely to have a chance to see what the problem is, though someone else is free to look into it and fix it if they want.

Hi mate

Is there anyway to have it where the stadium pics show on match day rather than the 2d and 3d stadiums. I only play in commentary only and i'm old school and prefer the stadium pics to be in the background when playing a match the it used to be years ago

Would really appreciate it as i've been racking my head for ages now trying to find a way. I've attached an example

Thanks

th-2.jpeg

On 12/16/2017 at 23:52, beanos36 said:

Hi mate

Is there anyway to have it where the stadium pics show on match day rather than the 2d and 3d stadiums. I only play in commentary only and i'm old school and prefer the stadium pics to be in the background when playing a match the it used to be years ago

Would really appreciate it as i've been racking my head for ages now trying to find a way. I've attached an example

Thanks

th-2.jpeg

If you use commentary only then you can either just turn on the widgets, dock and pin them and increase the area to cover the pitch as the backgrounds shown behind pinned widgets.

Otherwise if you don't want the pitch ever (including replays and trophy presentations) then deleting this line from the file should permanently put the backgrounds on the pitch view:

11 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

If you use commentary only then you can either just turn on the widgets, dock and pin them and increase the area to cover the pitch as the backgrounds shown behind pinned widgets.

Otherwise if you don't want the pitch ever (including replays and trophy presentations) then deleting this line from the file should permanently put the backgrounds on the pitch view:

I’ll give it a try now. Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it

I tried it by deleting that line and it has stopped the 3D and 2D pitch showing but the background image is not of the stadiums even though I have a background stadiums folder. It’s just the same pic of a random crowd, presumably just a generic pic that the skin uses. Is there a way of showing a teams stadium in the background on match days when they’re the home team? 

For example it should show a pic of hillsborough when I’m at home and obviously another ground when I’m away. I’ve attached the pic and pic of the folder to show. Thanks, I appreciate your help

9B6F0065-DABB-4B99-A5CF-61356E481724.jpeg

65BA6813-09A4-4CAC-B3CB-81AE3179D27A.jpeg

@beanos36 It looks like the background pack you downloaded doesn't include stadium backgrounds, if the stadium images are full sized then you can just add the following entry into your config file for each team:

<record from="<FILE_NAME>" to="graphics/pictures/stadium/<UNIQUE ID>/background"/>

And that will link the image to the background on matchdays (there are several different codes that link the backgrounds to various panels) - you'll need to do that for each file in the pack, easiest way is to just duplicate the existing lines from the config and then just use find and replace on the duplicate lines to change the code.

Your other alternative is to download a background pack that does include matchday backgrounds.

You need to go into whatever skin your using graphics pictures then delete a folders called stadium and background.Then clear cache and reload

I’ve tried it on various skins. Andromeda is the main one. Used to always love Skeklo but never see that these days 

16 hours ago, beanos36 said:

Still can't get it to work. I have attached the config file. Does this look okay? Thanks 

config.xml

As I said above your config file doesn't include the lines needed to link the pictures on the matchday, you need to carry out the changes I said above so for Sheff Wed stadium to show you need to have a line that looks like this in the file:

<record from="sheff wednesday-team" to="graphics/pictures/stadium/709/background"/>

You need to add a line that looks like that for each team.

Touch Version has been updated for patch 18.2.1, Full Mode Version doesn't need updating as the patch didn't edit those files. Links are in opening post.

7 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

As I said above your config file doesn't include the lines needed to link the pictures on the matchday, you need to carry out the changes I said above so for Sheff Wed stadium to show you need to have a line that looks like this in the file:

<record from="sheff wednesday-team" to="graphics/pictures/stadium/709/background"/>

You need to add a line that looks like that for each team.

You are an absolute legend! It works. I really appreciate your help with this! I'll have a look at the other sections of the forum. Would love to the score to go across the skin horizontally rather than vertical. Maybe have the kits on show as well during the match

Thanks again for taking time out to reply

Is there a similar mod for FM 2016 ?

I tested it on base16_dark but that results with black screen.

8 hours ago, Shenmue-X said:

Is there a similar mod for FM 2016 ?

I tested it on base16_dark but that results with black screen.

Shouldn't be needed for FM16 as the stadium backgrounds showed in that version (you might need to edit the transparency of various screens to see them).

4 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Shouldn't be needed for FM16 as the stadium backgrounds showed in that version (you might need to edit the transparency of various screens to see them).

The backgrounds do show in FM16 but not at the first click. You need to exit the match, then enter again the match page to make the backgrounds being shown (This bug was also present in FM 2007 !). But it's not the only issue since the spinning 3D stadium background shows in 5 seconds then. Really annoying.

Edited by Shenmue-X

20 hours ago, Shenmue-X said:

The backgrounds do show in FM16 but not at the first click. You need to exit the match, then enter again the match page to make the backgrounds being shown (This bug was also present in FM 2007 !). But it's not the only issue since the spinning 3D stadium background shows in 5 seconds then. Really annoying.

If it's a bug in the game then you might not be able to do anything about it - you can try manually adding the code from the second post to see if it works though depending on how much the code has changed since FM16 you may need to change some of it to get it to work.

I'm using FM Touch and have had no luck getting this to work and get rid of the awful 2d pitch behind the panels, anyone else had any joy with FM Touch??

It should work in touch mode - have you made sure you have downloaded a custom skin (such as the base skins) as it won't work on the default skins, that you have extracted the files from the zip and placed the 'client_object' folder inside the panels folder for the skin you download and that you have switched to that skin in game as well as turned off the skin cache and then reloaded your skin.

On 07/01/2018 at 18:26, michaeltmurrayuk said:

It should work in touch mode - have you made sure you have downloaded a custom skin (such as the base skins) as it won't work on the default skins, that you have extracted the files from the zip and placed the 'client_object' folder inside the panels folder for the skin you download and that you have switched to that skin in game as well as turned off the skin cache and then reloaded your skin.

Hey Michael,

Yeah I've done all of that, I'm using your base skins from your website, I'm quite adept with mods these days, been tinkering with skins for years so pretty clued up with it all, I have done all the above, restarted the game etc. yet absolutely nothing is making it work, even deleted cache and pref folders etc. still no luck! I guess I am stuck with the horrid 2d pitch background, maybe if I increased the panels opacity during the match?

21 hours ago, KennedyBakircioglu said:

Hey Michael,

Yeah I've done all of that, I'm using your base skins from your website, I'm quite adept with mods these days, been tinkering with skins for years so pretty clued up with it all, I have done all the above, restarted the game etc. yet absolutely nothing is making it work, even deleted cache and pref folders etc. still no luck! I guess I am stuck with the horrid 2d pitch background, maybe if I increased the panels opacity during the match?

Just checked and it definitely works in Touch Mode, if you can post up screenshots of the client_object folder for your skin, the preferences-> interface screen and the match screen your trying to get it to show on.

3 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Just checked and it definitely works in Touch Mode, if you can post up screenshots of the client_object folder for your skin, the preferences-> interface screen and the match screen your trying to get it to show on.

Thanks Michael, here it is..

Oh744Ko.png?1

@KennedyBakircioglu Backgrounds won't show on the IBH screen as there is no way to set it to only show when no highlights are played, however if you only ever use commentary only mode then you can enable them by reading this post - note if you do this the pitch panel will never show so no highlights, replays or trophy presentations. (Or you can turn the IBH off and turn the widgets on and dock and pin one and stretch the area to cover the screen as backgrounds show behind pinned widgets by default).

@majesticeternity To change the locker-room background either just place the image you want to use in the backgrounds folder and call it 'dressing room' or you can edit the above file and locate the dressing room bit of code and change the file path to the image you want to use. Same for the tunnel interview you just need a file called 'tunnel'.

On 11/01/2018 at 19:40, michaeltmurrayuk said:

@KennedyBakircioglu Backgrounds won't show on the IBH screen as there is no way to set it to only show when no highlights are played, however if you only ever use commentary only mode then you can enable them by reading this post - note if you do this the pitch panel will never show so no highlights, replays or trophy presentations. (Or you can turn the IBH off and turn the widgets on and dock and pin one and stretch the area to cover the screen as backgrounds show behind pinned widgets by default).

@majesticeternity To change the locker-room background either just place the image you want to use in the backgrounds folder and call it 'dressing room' or you can edit the above file and locate the dressing room bit of code and change the file path to the image you want to use. Same for the tunnel interview you just need a file called 'tunnel'.

You saved my life ! <3

Am I missing something really obvious here but I can seem to get the match day stadiums to show in "pitch" mode?  

2018-02-05_20-47-00.png

@deyno1903 From the opening post: however the backgrounds will not show when you are in-between highlights on the pitch view nor will it remove the grey stadium background from 2D Classic Mode.

If you want the backgrounds on the pitch then you will either need to pin and dock the widgets or if you are using commentary only mode then their are instructions in the thread on how to completely disable the pitch.

1 hour ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

@deyno1903 From the opening post: however the backgrounds will not show when you are in-between highlights on the pitch view nor will it remove the grey stadium background from 2D Classic Mode.

If you want the backgrounds on the pitch then you will either need to pin and dock the widgets or if you are using commentary only mode then their are instructions in the thread on how to completely disable the pitch.

@michaeltmurrayuk Sorry mate, I should of read a bit deeper and taken on board.

How do I pin and dock widgets? 

8 minutes ago, deyno1903 said:

@michaeltmurrayuk Sorry mate, I should of read a bit deeper and taken on board.

How do I pin and dock widgets? 

Drag a widget to the edge of the screen and an icon should appear dropping it on the icon should dock it, then at the top of the dock will be a pin icon click that to pin the dock and the background image should now show. You can then drag the border of the pinned area to increase it and you can also drop several widgets into the dock area. Though you can only have one docked area at a time.

Should be some screenshots in the FAQ here: