Overcomplicated or Not Enough

Here we go again another season of FM and another hair pulling session for me to figure out how to get a team to play. The main focus of this threat is to find out how much or how little you do with your tactics, shouts, player instructions, position instructions and so on...do you tinker all the time or do you set it out and just see what happens.

I'm Rangers - Being Rangers puts you in a dominant position in most games in the Scottish Premier League.

5a11b65387e48_ScreenShot2017-11-19at16_49_43.thumb.png.848dd1df3b30c8aeb573d972f75bd993.png

With this system I can rest assured that if the opposition play two up front I have my Half Back there to cover for the two CDs and if they play one up front I change my Half Back into a Regista allowing him to get involved in the game. My FBs play as wingers and my Wingers support them - the Mezzala joins in the attacks and the Support Attacking Playmaker sits in the hole and does him thing, and if he fails to do so my Regista can pick up the slack. Anyone see any structural issues with this so far? If so let me know.

With regards to tactics that as far as I want to take it for now. I make subtle changes to playing short, direct, tempo, work into box, expose left or right flank - depending on how the game is developing as I watch it.

Do you go into more depth or does anyone feel I'm only scratching the surface of what I'm capable of getting out the tactical aspect of the game. I do well with this limited approach but like everyone there are games where I'm either rover exposed or just don't figure out fast enough to make the opposition winger and BOOM they've scored.

So too little or not enough?

You can go as simple as you want, I do. I generally like to stick to Mentality, Shape, Roles & Duties and that's it. I only add TIs, PIs if there is something very specific I am aiming for in a particular match & I almost never use OIs. You can have a very successful save just using the basics.

I like to keep things simple. Same tactic every game with players in same role. Very rarely change a thing. In the past i have changed formations etc but find it rarely works for me. Just a shout from the sideline or ht teamtalk seems to work much better.

Archived