Fine tuning my 4-1-1-3–1 tactic

If anyone can help me that would be great I have just finished second with RC Lens in Ligue 2 and noe preparing for life on top division. Generally I struggle with tactics but have seemed to get decent success from this one. 

1- struggled to get any decent return from the attacking midfielder in terms of assists and goals.

2- does the traquitista role work in this shape my striker isn’t natural to it but still scored goals. Not sure if I’m just getting away with it because of the strength I have in other areas.

3- I have also changed the BWM to defend duty to give us extra cover however most goals conceded are from punts over top so taken off which is slightly annyoying as my centre backs have 13 and 15 pace.

any help and tips would be great !!!

22F06FB1-9EA9-47D4-86FD-62957BA2F3F4.jpeg

8 hours ago, Hoodmatty said:

If anyone can help me that would be great I have just finished second with RC Lens in Ligue 2 and noe preparing for life on top division. Generally I struggle with tactics but have seemed to get decent success from this one. 

1- struggled to get any decent return from the attacking midfielder in terms of assists and goals.

2- does the traquitista role work in this shape my striker isn’t natural to it but still scored goals. Not sure if I’m just getting away with it because of the strength I have in other areas.

3- I have also changed the BWM to defend duty to give us extra cover however most goals conceded are from punts over top so taken off which is slightly annyoying as my centre backs have 13 and 15 pace.

any help and tips would be great !!!

22F06FB1-9EA9-47D4-86FD-62957BA2F3F4.jpeg

1. An AM-S is more of a link player, yes he should get some goal and assists but that depends on the overall setup.  With a TQ, W-A, IF-S and AP-S I think other players will be trying to play the final ball more often and getting into the box more than he will.  Is he able to find space in what is often a congested area with opposition DM marking him and keep the ball and/or beat opponents in confined spaced?
  2. Hard to say, the TQ has so much creative freedom it is played very differently by players with different attributes and traits.
  3. Defending punts over the top is more than just pace.  Check there mental attributes, are they likely to switch off (concentration) ?  Do they then have to turn (agility) and start to sprint (acceleration) to try and catch up?  Plus your asking them to Use Tighter Marking, so there's less margin for error, it limits passes to feet but passes into space will be easier.  I'd get rid of that straight away with no other changes and see if it helps.

2nd with Lens doesn't sounds bad, what was the expectation?

Personally I don't like this mixed formation, yes you get a shielding player in DM, but your also making it easier for the opposition to play through your midfield which will then force the DM to step up to help.  I prefer to either commit to the shield (4123 DM Wide) or to the higher press (4231 Wide) or have both central mids in DM.  Since your struggling with the AM-S i'd consider using him in LCM as a CM-A, which should see him help deeper defensively but take more risks and make more runs to get up with the TQ and maybe past him?

12 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:
  1. An AM-S is more of a link player, yes he should get some goal and assists but that depends on the overall setup.  With a TQ, W-A, IF-S and AP-S I think other players will be trying to play the final ball more often and getting into the box more than he will.  Is he able to find space in what is often a congested area with opposition DM marking him and keep the ball and/or beat opponents in confined spaced?
  2. Hard to say, the TQ has so much creative freedom it is played very differently by players with different attributes and traits.
  3. Defending punts over the top is more than just pace.  Check there mental attributes, are they likely to switch off (concentration) ?  Do they then have to turn (agility) and start to sprint (acceleration) to try and catch up?  Plus your asking them to Use Tighter Marking, so there's less margin for error, it limits passes to feet but passes into space will be easier.  I'd get rid of that straight away with no other changes and see if it helps.

2nd with Lens doesn't sounds bad, what was the expectation?

Personally I don't like this mixed formation, yes you get a shielding player in DM, but your also making it easier for the opposition to play through your midfield which will then force the DM to step up to help.  I prefer to either commit to the shield (4123 DM Wide) or to the higher press (4231 Wide) or have both central mids in DM.  Since your struggling with the AM-S i'd consider using him in LCM as a CM-A, which should see him help deeper defensively but take more risks and make more runs to get up with the TQ and maybe past him?

Thanks for that . We were predicted 5th and thanks to the fm gods Today when my saved game could not be loaded I had to go back a week giving me the chance not to blow the title and 2nd tomrvlivklu so we went up as champions. I think I might well give the CM a go and lose the AM or put two DMs in. Suppose it will depend on what becomes available in transfer market in the summer. I. Will have a look closely at centre back attributes I need to buy another anyway so might make sure I get a one with better concentration as my first choice centre back is only 19 so I imagine will lack mental attributes.

No problem.  Having thought about it (I wrote this before popping out), I think the #1 thing that would could the AM-S to get less assist+goals is the AP-S.  As the AP is playmaker, players will prefer to pass to him (and the TQ) rather than the AM-S and both will play often in the hole. If it was a 4231 Wide it would of stood out having that 5th offensive role in CM, if he's needed to be so offensive what are the 4 in front of him doing?  In this case the AM is probably suffering because of the AP.

Remember teams will see you differently in the top league, expecting to get 3 points from you where as currently half the league would of been happy to just get a point.  Your tactic is quite conserved at the back with the FB-D, 2xCB-D and FB-S, if teams push up and commit players forward you might get good results counter attacking them.

As long as the young player still has some potential to improve I wouldn't dismiss him immediately.

Archived