Wasn't sure which section of the forum to post this on, but I see that 'Shoot On Sight' still ensures a player will exaggerate with this instruction and shoot from ridiculously wide angles from 35 yards out.  

It happens all too often and even the players with a +15 long shots stat are almost always way-off target.

I wish when setting this instruction, the A.I would compute in such a way that it would ensure the player used his noggin' and thought carefully when to shoot, as to me, shooting on sight is if you're fairly central to the goal, or if at an angle, you're close enough with no other options available in the area.

Maybe it needs to be renamed to 'Take Speculative Shots'.

I feel there is a 'highlights bias' effect on a lot of FM players though - they see the wasteful shots, but they don't see the attacking players pass the ball around meaninglessly in the attacking third, because there's a 'work ball into box' instruction that's leading to wasting possession and ignoring scoring opportunities.

I have a BWM that loves to shoot aimlessly whenever he gets anywhere near the 18 yard box even though I have his instructions set to shoot less.  It's very frustrating to watch him ruin a great build up time after time. 

That said, I think there's some truth in both of the above posts. 

18 hours ago, Griff86 said:

Wasn't sure which section of the forum to post this on, but I see that 'Shoot On Sight' still ensures a player will exaggerate with this instruction and shoot from ridiculously wide angles from 35 yards out.  

It happens all too often and even the players with a +15 long shots stat are almost always way-off target.

I wish when setting this instruction, the A.I would compute in such a way that it would ensure the player used his noggin' and thought carefully when to shoot, as to me, shooting on sight is if you're fairly central to the goal, or if at an angle, you're close enough with no other options available in the area.

Then the shout is working as it is desired. Think about it. Shoot....at the sight of the goal. With this shout the player isn't going to think about it because you have told him that as soon as he sees the goal don't think about whether it is a good shot or not, but just shoot.

What you want to do is first take off that shout.

Then go look at the player. What is his long shots, what his his finishing? What role is he playing. If he is on attack he is going to be more than willing to shoot so maybe put him on support. Give him a different role, or perhaps give him a personal instruction to shoot less.

18 minutes ago, Swell86 said:

I have a BWM that loves to shoot aimlessly whenever he gets anywhere near the 18 yard box even though I have his instructions set to shoot less.  It's very frustrating to watch him ruin a great build up time after time. 

That said, I think there's some truth in both of the above posts. 

A lot depends on the player you're using. There are some players who have the character to pull, and will do so if you have other ideas of football.
You can say all you want to Insigne, not to try the shot to fall from the outside, but just sees a chance, he tries.

It's a bit confusing this one, if you're truly expected to take this shout as 100% literal amongst countless other instructions and tactical elements of the game that are meant to be 'interpreted' and change according to countless other factors that might be in play. The only way to really use this one effectively is to add the 'shoot less often' PI for every player in the team except the one you want to shoot on sight, and even then I'd rarely use this with a wide player of any kind. I do find with that logic that it does generate a few options for my poachers or other attacking players to follow thru on.

Archived