Scouting For The Future

Undy

I'm not a guy who likes all-round players. I don't need my centre-back to have killer technique. I don't care if my playmaker can't tackle. I want my players to do their job and do it well.

18 months into my game, I've identified a problem. The ball-winning midfielder is one of my most valued roles, and while I have some decent defensive-minded midfielders, none of them will cut it as I try to challenge for the Champions League. In a couple of years, I'll need a world-beater of a BWM. I don't have anywhere near the money to buy a ready-made superstar, and the best youngsters are probably beyond me too. Since I'm not bothered about whether my new BWM can pick out a pass or not, I figure somewhere in the database will be a young midfielder with a lower PA but just the right attributes to do the job. I want a hatchet-man who can get the ball back and give it to the ball players. For me, I view the BWM attributes as falling into the following categories (and feel free to tell me my priorities are wrong)

High priority: Tackling, positioning, bravery, strength

Mid priority: Marking, determination, work rate

Low priority: Aggression, teamwork, acceleration, stamina

What I'm not sure about is how much improvement I can expect in these attributes as I develop the player? I realise the physical attributes will fall away earlier while the mental attributes will improve with age, but what about the technical attributes? Let's say, for example, I want all the top-priority attributes at 18+ once this guy is fully developed. If I find a 19-year-old with these values at 13, could he realistically make it (assuming his PA, professionalism etc weren't the limiting factor), or is there just no way a player will increase attributes by that much in his career?

Basically, how much can we expect a perfectly trained youngster to increase his attributes, allowing for a good 30ish difference between CA and PA at a young age?

He looks like just the ticket. Already moved on to Leverkusen in my game though, so out of the price range now. I ended up picking up Jon Gaztañaga for £550k, and he'll do for the next couple of years but still has a lot of what to me is wasted skill - good dribbling, passing, vision etc that just isn't necessary for the role.

Archived