FM18: Portuguese football - Great young talents everywhere

Cedrik

image.img.jpg

I have the feeling I am one of the only ones, but I often really enjoy playing in Portugal with FM. The DB is imo of high quality and there are so many talents around, I would almost want to state it is one of the most talented countries in FM. Although I usually begin with Sporting or Porto I currently started my save with SC Braga. Very delighted with the squad, Xadas is a great example of those bright Portuguese youngsters that you can find in FM18. Hope to be able to build a decent side that can challenge Porto, Benfica and Sporting for the title. 

More people started or thinking about beginning a save in Portugal? :)

Exact same, I had a great Porto save in FM17 but decided this version to challenge the top 3 and like you I started with Braga. 

Fabio Martins is a player I have high hopes for same with Xadas of course. I'm hoping to build a good young Portuguese core by promoting those within the club but also trying to nab the cast offs from the Big 3's B teams as ive noticed they don't nurture them as you'd expect and they tend to leave on frees or for relativly low fees. 

13 hours ago, Hoarau said:

Exact same, I had a great Porto save in FM17 but decided this version to challenge the top 3 and like you I started with Braga. 

Fabio Martins is a player I have high hopes for same with Xadas of course. I'm hoping to build a good young Portuguese core by promoting those within the club but also trying to nab the cast offs from the Big 3's B teams as ive noticed they don't nurture them as you'd expect and they tend to leave on frees or for relativly low fees. 

Nice stuff! What formation are you using? :)

12 hours ago, FM'd-BRO said:

I love Portuguese football! Had a cracking save on FM12 with Vitoria Guimares. I'm currently managing Sporting CP on FM18 1 season in and won the double, league and cup win! Loving the save so far...

Sporting has an amazing team, also the talent is just outstanding. Did you made any interesting signings and perhaps sold some players for huge money? 

Really loved my Porto save on FM17! Almost my entire first team was of academy products and I was going deep into the Champions League. I will probably go back to it after I get bored of my FM18 saves. Glad there is a Portuguese thread here, though!

I just started the save with Sporting. Very good squad except defenders. I had to sell Coates. So now it's even worse. :D

Bought Danilo from Braga for 1.8mil. Very cheap considering his attributes. Anyway, there is so much talent in Sporting B and u19, it's crazy.

Had a brief fling with Sacavenense back in FM2016 but the save didn't extend to a long term one.  I always wanted to go back to Portugal for a longer stint, and in that save Leiria caught my eye.  I've always had a penchant for fallen giants - Leiria maybe aren't big enough for that tag but do have a rich history prior to their real-life bankruptcy - so I decided to fire up a new save to try and get them back to the top division. 

And then this happened! I smell sugar daddy.  No money to spend from that yet but January good be a good month!

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 10.57.21 pm.png

10 hours ago, 2481 said:

Had a brief fling with Sacavenense back in FM2016 but the save didn't extend to a long term one.  I always wanted to go back to Portugal for a longer stint, and in that save Leiria caught my eye.  I've always had a penchant for fallen giants - Leiria maybe aren't big enough for that tag but do have a rich history prior to their real-life bankruptcy - so I decided to fire up a new save to try and get them back to the top division. 

And then this happened! I smell sugar daddy.  No money to spend from that yet but January good be a good month!

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 10.57.21 pm.png

Nice! That makes it always a lot more fun of course :D

On 19/11/2017 at 11:29, Cedrik said:

Nice stuff! What formation are you using? 

Well I finally managed to get an extended session. Initially I'm lining us up with a flat back four, a DMC, two CM's, two IF's and a Lone striker.

Loving the squad so far, tons of talent to nurture :

Danilo - currently playing in one of the CM slots, would like to sit him in front of the back four if I could make him more defensively minded. 

The Horta Brothers - what do you think the chances are I can make the loan deal for Andre permanent? Both brothers are currently playing as my IF's, can see them developing into a dangerous combo, espically if I get them to swap positions to offer an alternative and confuse opposition defenses. 

Xadas - duh I hear you saying, this lad is gonna be my jewel. Looks like I'll struggle to keep him though for any length of time. Already knocked back a bid from Nice which prompted and conversation where I had to promise qualification to yhe Champions League at the end of the season(No pressure..eh), thought that would be enough this window but ive just noticed Chelsea are sniffing around him. I think I'll go the route of saying "You might not get enough game time", if that doesn't work I might demand a non-negotional clause of getting him back on loan for the season.

Hassan - How have I missed this lad? Ive seen his name pop up of the last few version but never bothered, due to my own negligence, but hes been ridiculous in preseason so far. Yeah it's only preseason and the teams aren't amazing but the standard is Europa League level and he's banged in three hat tricks and has about 4/5 assists. New favorite me thinks.

Signing wise I didn't get a lot, £2.6m I think. Sold 2/3 peripheral players for a few hundred £K each. I actually don't want to drastically alter the squad to much this first season and instead see who steps up and develops. I have made 3 signings with the possibility of a fourth on a free transfer. 

Transfers In

Walter Gonzalez - A South American striker from Olimpia, decent all round stats to cover for Hassan, he may ultimately have to take over from him should he get poached. A relative bargain in today's world for a striker under £800k.

Alejandro Chumacero - Found this guy in anothet save but couldn't get a work permit, no issues here though, general all rounder who can play a number of roles out wide aswell as fill in at CM. Another low fee, low risk signing, could have a huge upside. 

As a few have said, tons of talent in the Big Three's B teams so I'll be keeping a very close eye on the B Leagues. I'm finding a few potential gems at both Pacos and Vitoria(SP?)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my 2nd season with Sporting with another title. I have won 2 league titles, league cup and supercup. 

My squad for 3rd season looks like this. Only I am considering maybe to buy one more player but I'm not sure should I do it or should I trust my young players. I still have 100mil in the transfer budget. :D

GK - Rui Patricio

DR - Fagner (27mil from corinthians)

DC - Domagoj Vida (3mil from PSG,absolute steal!)

DC - Joao Palinha

DL - Jonathan Silva

DM - Cheikou Kouyate (4mil from West Ham)

MC - Daniel Braganca

MC - Jean Michel Seri (8mil from Bayern)

AMR - Malcom (32mil from Bordeaux)

AML - Marcos Acuna

ST - Maximiliano Romero (5mil from Velez)

S1 - Pedro Silva

S2 - Malang Sarr (13mil from Nice)

S3 - Danilo (1.5mil from Braga)

S4 - Francisco Geraldes

S5 - Iuri Medeiros

S6 - Ribamar (6mil from Santos)

S7 - Bruno Paz

I have started a game with Benfica and really enjoying it so far, though slightly worried it will perhaps get a bit too easy to win the League.. but will see how it goes.

So far I am top of the league, highlights include beating Porto 2-0, and I have just qualified from the group stage of the Champions League with 2 games to go, the highlight here was beating Man City 1-0 at the Estadio da Luz. 

I’m playing a 4-1-2-2-1 with success but has anyone (at Benfica or elsewhere) managed Zivkovic and what role have you got him to perform best in? I am mainly playing him on the left as a IF but his ratings are quite low here and don’t improve when I play him on the right either.... 

I have started the game with transfers disabled but now I am starting to think about the future and decided that as much as possible I am going to build the squad around the great young players already at the club and with the exception of maybe a CB I don’t think I will really need to sign anyone (assuming I can keep hold of most of the young players coming through).

From my reckoning there are about 9 central midfielders at Benfica aged 16-20 who are wonderkids: Rodrigues, Luis, Fernandes, Dantes, Batista, Horta, Carvalho, Soares, Felix... most appear to be best used at Advanced Playmakers but I am going to try and train as few to be better as CM(A) or Mezzalas, hopefully this will work! Has anyone any experience on which are best as Playmakers and others good to retrain? 

On 22/11/2017 at 12:58, Hoarau said:

Well I finally managed to get an extended session. Initially I'm lining us up with a flat back four, a DMC, two CM's, two IF's and a Lone striker.

Loving the squad so far, tons of talent to nurture :

Danilo - currently playing in one of the CM slots, would like to sit him in front of the back four if I could make him more defensively minded. 

The Horta Brothers - what do you think the chances are I can make the loan deal for Andre permanent? Both brothers are currently playing as my IF's, can see them developing into a dangerous combo, espically if I get them to swap positions to offer an alternative and confuse opposition defenses. 

Xadas - duh I hear you saying, this lad is gonna be my jewel. Looks like I'll struggle to keep him though for any length of time. Already knocked back a bid from Nice which prompted and conversation where I had to promise qualification to yhe Champions League at the end of the season(No pressure..eh), thought that would be enough this window but ive just noticed Chelsea are sniffing around him. I think I'll go the route of saying "You might not get enough game time", if that doesn't work I might demand a non-negotional clause of getting him back on loan for the season.

Hassan - How have I missed this lad? Ive seen his name pop up of the last few version but never bothered, due to my own negligence, but hes been ridiculous in preseason so far. Yeah it's only preseason and the teams aren't amazing but the standard is Europa League level and he's banged in three hat tricks and has about 4/5 assists. New favorite me thinks.

Signing wise I didn't get a lot, £2.6m I think. Sold 2/3 peripheral players for a few hundred £K each. I actually don't want to drastically alter the squad to much this first season and instead see who steps up and develops. I have made 3 signings with the possibility of a fourth on a free transfer. 

Transfers In

Walter Gonzalez - A South American striker from Olimpia, decent all round stats to cover for Hassan, he may ultimately have to take over from him should he get poached. A relative bargain in today's world for a striker under £800k.

Alejandro Chumacero - Found this guy in anothet save but couldn't get a work permit, no issues here though, general all rounder who can play a number of roles out wide aswell as fill in at CM. Another low fee, low risk signing, could have a huge upside. 

As a few have said, tons of talent in the Big Three's B teams so I'll be keeping a very close eye on the B Leagues. I'm finding a few potential gems at both Pacos and Vitoria(SP?)

@Hoarau How have you been progressing with the save?  Started a game with Braga and struggled with one striker on his own and have changed to a flat 442

19 hours ago, Craiger said:

@Hoarau How have you been progressing with the save?  Started a game with Braga and struggled with one striker on his own and have changed to a flat 442

Honestly, its became one of my favorite FM saves for many a year, I haven't even reached the end of season 1... Its been a real journay, I've grown fond of my players and weirdly feel bonded with this crazy club. In terms of performance it took a couple of months for us to form a system that fitted and reaped rewards, since we've gelled the results have been great. Porto had been running away with the league over the first few months but just after the Christmas period a combination of Porto dropping points and us going on a decent run has propelled us into 2nd place coming into April. Still ticking along in the Europa League althought Dortmund might prove a step too far.

In terms of players, the squad in general have been great... From Matheus in goal who's been one of the huge factors in our defensive record to the solid partnership in front of him of Ricardo Ferreira & Raul Silva. In midfield Xadas is easily the stand out and ive had to rebuff some real interest from across Europe, I really would like to keep him for at least one more season, maybe two if I make some promises. Up top I only play one lone Striker but both Hassan & new signing Walter Gonzalez have been amazing, Gonzalez is currently edging it due to scoring 24 goals in 25 games, Hassan has 15 goals in 22 games.

I've just had my youth intake had them say something ive never seen before... "This is a wonderfully talented group of players, we could have the makings of a "Golden Generation" on our hands.

braga2.thumb.png.78ad336f55b70e4ceeb74c3c38605694.pngbraga1.thumb.png.9b4b572d5855eca90eb5c18163cf20f5.pngbraga3.thumb.png.91d2fb7de4a8e0350fc5d0653c000a98.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just started a save with Porto and am really enjoying it so far! I have one question though..

How do you keep your first team players who don't play often match fit? It doesn't allow me to give them game time in the under 19s or B team as they never get played if I make them available.

I don't like playing in Portugal, because big teams comes and destroy you by buying all the talents.

I love buying the players, because Portugal has gotten really favorable talent stats in FM18.

Joáo Virginia GK, André Almeida MC/AMC, André Silva (Elite Striker) and the fun doesn't stop with just the "scouted" talents, my team has bought  a ton of 5 star PA regens (and that is compared to Silva so they must be 170 PA's).

On 25/12/2017 at 23:30, JesterSTJ said:

Just started a save with Porto and am really enjoying it so far! I have one question though..

How do you keep your first team players who don't play often match fit? It doesn't allow me to give them game time in the under 19s or B team as they never get played if I make them available.

I always like to keep the my first team squads a decent size. Nothing too large as you don't really need it in the league. Just rotate a lot, which also makes sure your best players are fit for the most important games. Youngsters you are interest in seeing develop but don't feel you can offer them enough playing time at your team, either put them at your B-team or loan them out to a smaller club in the league. 

• 3 weeks later...

Since FM 2017 its a best place to find a cheap talent IMO. Those like Andre Ceitil DC/DMC or Sergio Silva DC are keen to join even Scottish Championship or EFL 1 teams , for a fee 10-40 k.

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2018 at 20:25, Gungner said:

How's Boavista doing? Still down in the lower divisions, or have they made the way back up?

And does Braga still play in that wonderfull stadium that's placed inside a mountain? :p (Remember it from Euro 2004)

Boavista is on the top league again.

And yes. Braga still plays in the same stadium.

• 3 weeks later...

This league looks broken. They producing tons of best wonderkids in the world every year, and the most important - those kids are cheapest players. 

I literally bring more than 30 youngsters in 4 years to my club from Portugal and they all cost from 0 to 250k. 

On 14-4-2018 at 05:47, yau said:

This league looks broken. They producing tons of best wonderkids in the world every year, and the most important - those kids are cheapest players. 

I literally bring more than 30 youngsters in 4 years to my club from Portugal and they all cost from 0 to 250k. 

The whole system around player values should be tweaked yes, but that is more of a general issue rather than something that is wrong with the Portuguese league specifically. I hope SI will come up with a new system for player values with the next FM, the current one is indeed a bit flawed and too restricted. I'm sure the people at SI are also are of this.  

• 3 months later...

Just took over Sporting CP after managing Real Sociedad, after one season but felt it was too good to turn down,

Season so far,

fcdb03598a0167829524ca8ad594f8c5.png 

AI won Supertaca, before I took over, They also brought in Martinez, who have been superb for us :cool:  They also won the league last season and Jorge Jesus, left for Arsenal. we got drawn with Barca Lyon and FC København in our Champions League group.

Transfers

AI signed Martinez, I signed others.

9f80ac1f94a3b486409033a233abb8df.png 

Xadas - Was brilliant for me when I was manager of Braga, Sent him back to them for rest of the season on loan.

Giroud - Back up as we was short up front

Van Der Vaart - Signed him purely for tutoring but some reason he doesn't want to tutor anyone :mad: 

Solomon - Was signed by our HOYD.

Decided to go for this tactic, which seems to be working well so far :thup: 

a4f7e1c5f4bee7b10945f5c3857853e8.png 

Archived