Sports Interactive Community

Is there anyway to defend against corners when my team is abysmal at jumping and heading. No budget for buying anyone, I've done well stopping other teams from crossing but it seems every corner they get is either a goal or a great opportunity. 

Ive messed with a few different routines but nothing seems to work. 

Anyone run into this yet??

You can try my Pep 5-3-2 corner defending that I'm using for FM 18.

Taken from this article.

Your best 5 defending players will be those on the 6 yard box. The two fastest players who can't defend will be forward. On the edge will be your best passer who can't defend.

5a0fb66b3376a_PSV_SetPiecesCorners.thumb.png.57d782ba83dcc09d4a38d220951560f3.png

Now that's very interesting. I'd set up a heavily man-marking tactic even though I have poor defenders. So are you finding success with this in FM18?

I ended up going with the heavy man marking and it has been working better. A few more tweaks needed I think but its getting there. Thanks for the feedback! 

Edited by Leedsutd12

On 11/17/2017 at 23:27, vasilli07 said:

Taken from this article.

Your best 5 defending players will be those on the 6 yard box. The two fastest players who can't defend will be forward. On the edge will be your best passer who can't defend.

5a0fb66b3376a_PSV_SetPiecesCorners.thumb.png.57d782ba83dcc09d4a38d220951560f3.png

@vasilli07 how has this been working out? Seems interesting and definitely outside the box thinking compared with everything else I've found.

On 18/11/2017 at 05:27, vasilli07 said:

Taken from this article.

I like a few things here that I have in my defensive corner setup. I have my full/wingbacks defending the corners of the six yard box (6NC and 6FC) and a good passer outside the box combined with two fast strikers/wingers up front. I might have had seasons where I have scored more goals from their corners than they have, just because the counter attacks are so good. Also the key here is that you don't have anyone at the posts. I find that they rarely manage to block anything anyway, so better have them winning the initial header.

The difference for me is that I have the rest of the players man marking, center backs marking tall players and the rest just marking. This has worked really nicely for me so far, not many goals conceded from corners.

I've had seasons where i've conceded zero goals from corners by using zonal marking on corners and a counter attack set up with your smallest fast players.

The key areas are NC, C and FC. These should have your best headers. in order i would go the absolute best at NC, the 2nd best C the 3rd best FC.

Put a player who is say 5ft 10-6ft who hasnt got a good jumping stat on Zonal Near post. This being because he will stop nearly every ball that comes in below 6ft high in the air, without even being good in the air. Then your good NC , C and FC zonals will win most balls after that. A small player on zonal 6F. No one on the posts, even though when you have no one on the posts the assistant manager always cries and tells you to put people on the posts, don't because it's a waste. If you have another player who is good at marking and winning headers, put him to man mark tall player. A small full back whos good at marking on mark small player. A small player who has good vision and passing on edge of area and two fast attackers on stay forward. This is good because you will initiate a lot of counter attacks from defending corners and also you will cause the CPU to put less players forward, so say they have GK, corner taker, 2 players back, 1 player edge of area or stay back, this means they only 6 people in the box at most. which gives you 8 vs 6.

I’m gonna trynthat 532 corner tactic with Lyon. Against Nantes in my first game we looked vulnerable from corners, despite having 2 tall center backs, a tall CM and many 5’11 players. Hopefully this’ll help

Was going to post my set up, but it is almost identical to the 5-3-2 one posted above, I only leave one player forward though, usually my fastest player. My best passer on the edge of the box, although I have found a player who is quick and can dribble to be useful on the edge of the box.

Thing of note, be careful having players poor at jumping on the front post, I had my full back on the front post.  I have two different right backs, one is good at jumping, one isn't. Noticeable I have conceded some goals on the front post, when the poor jumper has been on the pitch, so I have to re-arrange.  Not conceded many from corners over the past 6 seasons in my set up, and have scored a fair few on break aways, if you can get away with 2 left up front, probably score more.