Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
SGMgr

Question on Director of Football

Is there a need to hire a director of football in fm 2018? 

In terms of transfer, would a good director of football help to lower the transfer fee to other clubs, or increase the fee from other clubs? If not, what other roles do director of football play in the game? 

Thanks in advance. Cheers. 

Edited by SGMgr

I don't know so much regarding their abilities when purchasing players because that's something I like to do myself. On the occasion I did try to get a DoF handling transfers I found they were offering too much wages or too much money up front for transfer fees. 

But I like handing over some of the other responsibilities like hiring staff and negotiating staff contracts, something I find incredibly tedious. I currently have Alan Curbishley as my Cheltenham DoF and he's also doubling up as my assistant manager. 

You don't NEED a DoF but they're there to just do the stuff you don't really want to do, if you're the kind of manager that just likes to get on with tactics, training and man management. 

My first impressions are that a DoF in this game is working better than in previous versions.
For me he has always been fairly good at renewing contracts and getting high-profile players.

off course if you like to put a lot of time in negotiating very hard and trying to get the very very best deal, the human manager will always do a better job.
but on the other hand, if you don't like to lose a lot of time doing negotiations and contract renewals, the DoF will do a better job with less effort :)

You do not need a DOF but there will be times when having one is useful, as long as he has the right attributes.  I dont use mine for the first team apart from selling unwanted players ,but have found him better this year at dealing with the reserves

Thanks all for your replies. Based on the comments, I will probably go for a DoF but manage the first team transfer negotiation myself (simply don't have enough funds in this crazy market). 

Edited by SGMgr

15 minutes ago, SGMgr said:

Thanks all for your replies. Based on the comments, I will probably go for a DoF but manage the first team transfer negotiation myself (simply don't have enough funds in this crazy market). 

You can always set the DoF to do the contract negotiations with new signings but the "finalise" responsibility to yourself. If at some point the DoF makes a crazy offer you can still cancel the transfer.

I always make sure I find a DoF with the highest JPA/JPP as possible and set him to make offers for young players for the future but set the contract negotiations and finalising deals for myself.  That way I can vet the players he's found as to whether I actually need them or whether they fit into my formation and remove that dastardly 10% yearly wage increase that young players always ask for.

The DOF previously can be right pain in the arse. Set him up to sign staff he will sign any old rubbish and is willing to pay compo for them. He will fill every staff slot regardless of cost.

I'd like the DOF to be the link between the playing side and the board, an advisor and someone who speeds up the transfer after negotiations have finished. 

42 minutes ago, Chinook2000 said:

The DOF previously can be right pain in the arse. Set him up to sign staff he will sign any old rubbish and is willing to pay compo for them. He will fill every staff slot regardless of cost.

I'd like the DOF to be the link between the playing side and the board, an advisor and someone who speeds up the transfer after negotiations have finished. 

you are right about the staff.... if the DoF is in control of the staff he will fill the entire staff until all positions are filled to the "recommended level". which means that in lower league teams you have double the number of staff (and costs) in comparison with the other teams in your league

I've always gone for Mike Rigg as DoF for my Wigan team. I've found if I give him responsibility to hire staff he gets far better people than I could be bothered to search for!