Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ronaldo Beckham

Anyone Played In The Swiss League Yet

I have just started a network game with a mate and I am Grasshoppers and he is Lugano, any advice please, I have no money to spend and aint even got much of a wage budget, has anyone played as Grasshoppers or Lugano before ?

I've played several years with Grasshoppers in Switzerland, but not yet in FM18. The club has regressed in recent seasons but does have some decent youth players. I'd say look at your players outside of the first team squad, look at Africa, look at the age groups of the national team, and use the loan market well.

WP rules in the country are quite lenient, and you could probably assemble a decent enough team without spending much (if any) money. Basel are not as strong as they used to be, but will still be way too good for you.

I'll be heading over there again soon, this time I will be trying BSC Young Boys though.

If there's a Swiss thread I'll write there when I start, but I can't be doing any more guides myself. Good luck with GCZ.

Yes.

Don't choose Vaduz! The club cannot play in champions league (unless you win the EL), so if you win the swiss premier league you will always bit struck into EL

Well, it's time to finally add BSC Young Boys to my list of responsibilities. Anyone else playing (or been playing) in Switzerland on FM18?

54 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I am looking forward to seeing how you get on Jogo, I always enjoy reading your posts.

Thanks, I'll do my best then! I almost got distracted by FC Zurich, but I've stuck to my plan and I'm setting up base in Bern.

Considering a career start here. Interested in early observations

I like the Swiss League and have managed GC Zurich quite a few times in recent years (and Basel back in Salah's days).

With only 10 teams, you play each opponent four times (36 league games). There's a rather odd/awkward winter break that seems to go on for ever, and this is a bit of a marmite moment. The foreign player limits are not too bad (five in a match day squad can be from outside EU) and there are some decent Swiss youngsters around. Most clubs don't have massive budgets, but you get a little bit of cash with the better clubs (not GCZ).

I'm enjoying my first spell at BSC Young Boys even though they've lost a couple of favourites from the squad in FM18 (Zakaria and Mvogo).  However, they do have very strong attacking options at the club now, and I want to try and replicate their long overdue Swiss title success that was achieved this season.

I'll do an update when I hit the winter transfer window.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Keep your eye on the Brazilian regen market, so many of them sign new contracts after the first season with release clauses below £100,000

thumb2-bsc-young-boys-4k-silk-texture-logo-swiss-football-club.thumb.jpg.532676ab27eec03498524bea70def62a.jpg

Well it's been a long time coming, but here we go...

I've managed in Switzerland quite a few times before, but never with BSC Young Boys

They have a squad of great quality, particularly in attacking areas

Not only that, they recently won the Swiss Super League (2017/18) for the first time since 1985/86

So, it's time to welcome new manager Swiss Roll to the Stade de Suisse Wankdorf (I kid you not)

2155760_w2.thumb.jpg.fc30a995b75c629a6468a3884bb95924.jpg

Pre-season results weren't bad against some decent opposition, but the defeat against SK Rapid Wien (Rapid Vienna) of Austria was a shocker

927830459_BSCFixtures1.1.thumb.png.817420306ea63c217ea3c1e7ff11e581.png

We started off with solid form in the league, and battled our way through some Champions League qualifiers to reach the lucrative group stages

Unfortunately, the reward was bittersweet, drawn with Bayern, Manchester United and Ajax...

The opening win over Bayern was a (positive) shock, but that euphoria didn't last long

Our form in the Swiss Super League was good though, and there were no complaints on that front as we kept pace with Basel

569608934_BSCFixtures1.2.thumb.png.6a104531f9d95230a1c4a9c02f3c7608.png

As we struggled in Europe, we began to stutter in the league during November too

But after being eliminated from Europe (finishing bottom, so no Europa League consolation either) we picked up domestically again

The usual winter break from December-February saw us head off to the sun for some mid-season friendlies

And when we came back, we were ready to continue the fight with Basel at the top of the table

Roger Assale has been our best performer so far (as a poacher) with a stack of goals to his name

And we look forward to welcoming his strike partner Guillaume Hoarau back soon (injuries have kept him out for a fair while)

As you will see, our last outing also saw us book a place in the Swiss Cup Final with a hard-fought win over Grasshoppers

260649796_BSCFixtures1.3.thumb.png.f8388b38f311db39293c73483ccefb7a.png

Upon taking over the club, there were certain areas to strengthen with our £3,000,000 transfer budget

We didn't do too much business in the summer, and apart from an on-loan goalkeeper all of the moves were to bolster the defence and midfield

The big move in there was cultured South Korean midfielder Lee Jae-Sung who swallowed up most of the budget

The striking options were fine at that point, but we were making some moves and plans to help us in the future

The winter window saw much greater activity, with 'keeper Gregor Kobel sent back to Hoffenheim after complaining about a lack of action

To counter that, we brought in Adrian Ortola from Barcelona to be our new back-up keeper

But the big story here was the departure of our midfield enforcer Sekou Sanogo for a club record fee

It was never on the agenda to let such a key player leave, but the offer from China was too much to decline

We were paying him less than £10k p/w, but after the deal was completed it emerged he was now earning £83k p/w over there 

We couldn't hold him in view of that, and reluctantly lost a massive player far earlier than we ever imagined

His replacement was Czech midfielder Ondrej Vanek who joined from Ufa in Russia

He's a more attacking player than Sanogo, but we switched the role of Jae-Sung in order to get the balance in midfield correct

Apart from Vanek, the only other winter signing that's gone in to the first team is left-back Ghislain Konan

The Ivorian had been playing in Portugal and is a player that has caught the eye. This was a really good deal for us

All of the other winter arrivals are squad players or prospects going in to the U21 team, but plenty of them have good potential

We've been playing a 4-1-3-2 DM narrow formation for quite a few months now after trying a few formations early on

This meant that we had no space for Fassnacht or Sulejmani on a regular basis, despite feeling they had plenty to offer

When they both asked to leave, we felt it was only fair to let them go and play regularly elsewhere

We have plenty of options in the squad, and we should be able to reinvest sensibly with the funds received

The loss of Sanogo is a concern, but we seem to have adapted well enough since he left. One day we hope to lure him back to Bern though

519117107_BSCTransferHistory1A.thumb.png.71f2edcb0b77dc2960886804d1e3ac5e.png

610349463_BSCSanogotransferfee.thumb.png.9d4d795a33c5d0f8f653c043e1adabff.png

Current Senior Squad

Goalkeeper: David Von Ballmoos (23)

Goalkeeper: Adrian Ortola (24, Spain)

Right Back: Jordan Lotomba (19)

Right Back: Kevin Mbabu (22)

Left Back: Ghislain Konan (22, Ivory Coast)

Left Back: Loris Bento (26)

Centre Back: Kasim Nuhu (22, Ghana)

Centre Back: Gregory Wuthrich (22)  

Centre Back: Steve von Bergen (34)

Centre Back: Mateo Barac (23, Croatia)

Centre Back: Marco Burki (24)

Centre/Defensive Midfield: Alex Song (30, Cameroon)

Centre Midfield: Leonardo Bertone (23)

Centre Midfield: Djibril Sow (21)

Centre Midfield: Ondrej Vanek (27, Czech Republic)

Centre Midfield: Lee Jae-Sung (25, South Korea)

Striker: Roger Assale (24, Ivory Coast)

Striker: Guillaume Hoarau (33, France)

Striker: Jean-Pierre N'Same (24, Cameroon)

Striker: Nicolas Ngamaleu (23, Cameroon)

Striker: Erling Haland (17, Norway)

On loan at BSC Young Boys

Left Back: Borna Sosa (20, Croatia), Centre Midfield: Niklas Dorsch (20, Germany), Centre Midfield: Nicolas Haas (22)

981494002_BSCTactics1.1.thumb.png.8fb31d6fb4b7f1dac0002393af433416.png

As you can see below, we are locked in a two-way battle with Basel for the league title

It's a 36 game league season here, so we have 13 to play

The graph shows our steady form, and you can see our leading performers and healthy financial status

70253161_BSCProgress1.1.thumb.png.becbebb746c4e43a2bdc1725c1959dca.png

Going forward, you can also see that we have lots of cheap deals lined up for next summer already

Quite a few of these are strictly 'asset' deals. With only a small outlay, we will look to make big profits on many of these players

Ayiah and N'Diaye (like Togui and Haland before them) are teenage strikers who will go to the U21 team or out on loan

Boatswain (another striker) will also go out on loan with a view to sell on for profit

Oto'o and van Bruggen will join the U21 squad, whilst De Tomas and Billiat might make the first team squad (but probably not the starting team)

The only name that is likely to feature on a regular basis is Gonzalo Carneiro, a really promising Uruguayan striker

Having chased him for a variety of teams before, this is the first time that a deal has been done for him so that's an exciting one for our club

The 'real' summer transfer business is likely to be strengthening the centre of defence and midfield again, as the strikers and keepers are sorted

There could also be a couple of wingers coming in too, as it may be useful to have options for different tactics and formations

That will only happen if the numbers stack up, as it's a serious plan here not to spend much of the money we can make in the early years

All of these dealings show that a strong squad can be built without having to break the bank, something the financially savvy Swiss will love to see

And next year, there should be no need for any loan players at all. That's a very important part of the project we are building here  

What does need to be stressed is that if these young players are good enough or needed, we won't hesitate to use them

1879592774_BSCTransferHistory1B.thumb.png.fb8d88acdf87e93d0b74c814b47b21f0.png

So that is a long overdue summary of our progress in Switzerland

The prospects look good to me, and what better place to recruit youth talent than a club called Young Boys?

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Great stuff (as always) @Jogo Bonito 

When playing in smaller leagues it really does pay to look towards the future and I'm sure you'll get some good performances and good money out of your youth prospects. Alex Song is a good deal on a free, how much is he costing in wages? 

Good luck with the last 13 games, hopefully you can pip Basel to the title, which would be a great first season for you. 

Thanks mate, it's been very enjoyable so far and now it's my only current game I am looking to get engrossed a bit more here.

Song is only on £5.5k p/w, I'm always very disciplined with wages. I think of all the players I signed, the highest earner is on £11k p/w, and most are on much less. The two veterans at the club before I joined (Hoarau £24.5k p/w and von Bergen £12.5k p/w) are the highest earners. They're lucky they had those contracts agreed before I rolled in to town! Sulejmani was another high earner on £15k p/w, but as he wasn't a regular it explains why I let him leave for a cut price fee.

I think it will be hard to pip Basel, but you never know. A top two finish will be acceptable to me so not putting myself under extra pressure.

I have no idea how you manage to play more than one game at the same time, I would be so confused!

Really low wages for a player like Song that. Going off previous I know you're very controlling over your wages which is obviously a good trait to have.  How long do Hoarau and Bergen have left on their deals? 

Good luck for the rest of the season! 

Thanks mate, I can only do a couple of saves if I do it in blocks. I leave one for weeks or months and then rotate like that. It was actually the long-lost @Hoarau that got me in to that bad habit, as he always juggled so many at a time.

Hoarau has a contract until 2020 (he's already 34) so will be assessing his decline and performance continually as he has to keep delivering to justify remaining here until the end. He's done quite well but has been injured a fair bit for me this season (in real life he is still doing a great job). As for von Bergen he is under contract until the end of this first season, he is also 34 but has been a club stalwart for five years so I'm considering a reduced deal or perhaps a staff role for him.

I've signed another teenage prospect for £1.4m last night, he can't join for another year but like a lot of these others he should still become 'trained at club' which is a large part of the reason for snapping these guys up so young.

I think I would lose the plot, I'm bad enough managing one game at a time!

So he will be 36 when the deal is up, interesting. I'm very much stuck in the Wenger way of only offering one year deals to those over the age of 30.

Sounds like you've got things well planned out! I might try a game in Switzerland on FM19 and see how I get on. 

Looking forward to reading more updates as always!  :thup:

Yeah, a 36 year old on double the wage of anyone else! That's mad isn't it. I don't ever sign anyone and very rarely extend deals for players over that age, Hopefully can crack on with the rest of season 1 so will update when I can.

Ridiculous management  ;)  Get cracking! And get the season finished! 

Im still at it Jogo!

Only two saves currently on FM18 but i'll be making a huge comeback with FM19, currently sitting with 7 planned saves! I need help...

Still a good read from yourself, excited to see what comes with the new version..

32 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I really want to see a network game stream between @Hoarau @Jogo Bonito and @Welshace just to see the type of players they would bring in. Maybe a Greece, Norwegian, Hungarian or Austrian league network game between the 3 of you.

Haha, I've never played a network game and wouldn't embarrass myself on a stream! Player identification is easy, but I'm a rubbish manager in FM.

Good to hear from you @Hoarau. I could really disturb you by putting the @ sign every time I mention my striker Hoarau now!  Only seven planned saves?

Great read as always @Jogo Bonito I will be following with interest. Might even venture over for a save in Switzerland when my time runs out with Barnsley.

On 01/09/2018 at 20:15, Jogo Bonito said:

Haha, I've never played a network game and wouldn't embarrass myself on a stream! Player identification is easy, but I'm a rubbish manager in FM.

Good to hear from you @Hoarau. I could really disturb you by putting the @ sign every time I mention my striker Hoarau now!  Only seven planned saves?

I'm just delighted to see you using my old friend Hoarau, disturb away. 

Ha! Imagine how long that network game would take to get through pre season!? The amount of scouting... Ooft. 

Hahaha yeah, "only" 7 at the moment... that may well(like we have any doubt) change... some really amazing prospects for saves in FM19, looking forward to getting right back into it full steam. My just find me parking up in here more often.. 

Sorry to hijack the thread, love another obscure league getting focus.

@smplfc123 Thanks for that, will be following your progress with Barnsley or whoever.

@Hoarau Yeah, very true. World record for the slowest network game ever? Hijack away, maybe that seven is already more, especially if you're thinking of Switzerland...

1515573566_BSClogo.jpg.586f9a4d0af80fd27d0bbd011a909a06.jpg

Season 1 (March 2018 - May 2018)

The previous update ended with Young Boys having booked a place in the Swiss Cup Final after edging out Grasshoppers in the Semi Final

The Zurich-based club got their revenge in the very next fixture as we returned to league action, but we remained consistent after that

Unfortunately that consistency included another defeat to Basel in April, a result which finished our chances of a league title

In fact, until the last four games Basel had only lost twice all season - both of them against us before the winter break

They went on to lose two out of their last four, but we could never bridge the gap and they ran out deserved winners of the Super League 

We did, however, end on a high thanks to the resurgent @Hoarau winning us the Swiss Cup

229104966_BSCFixtures1.4.thumb.png.91401a4a229faaff4bc239e397fe7546.png

The board, who had been supportive all season, seemed happy with our first Swiss Cup win since 1987

746773516_BSCSwissCupwin.thumb.png.3d2e94c9d6f0ba24a443520f56c2248c.png

And the final table shows how close we had come in the league

1077221537_SwissSuperLeague1.1.thumb.png.d21777116139d3cac6d585b0c4a6f7ce.png

Our graph shows very stable form and healthy finances

240587225_BSCprogress1.2.thumb.png.6366140e5ffd86b96b9284be9992e4ec.png

638190836_SuperLeaguesponsors1.1.thumb.png.6b89c502e9f9a94ce7dd1ce5195509f7.png

And the player stats (excluding the sorely missed Sekou Sanogo plus the departed Fassnacht and Sulejmani) show who had done what

1846676517_BSCPlayers1.1.thumb.png.b0ced199ae954e69071b9a5530f7c15a.png

51226817_BSCPlayers1.2.thumb.png.2c6c4e3143b0834603634e3dc4488033.png

Roger Assale was the clear star of the team, revelling in the role of poacher as he walked away with our player of the year award

He was also streets ahead of anyone else in the Super League scoring charts, and had the highest average rating

265820871_SuperLeagueplayerreview1.1.thumb.png.94101bc5756098e86735f3243ecf0fc2.png

But some of our fans are either deluded, hard taskmasters or extremely poor judges of ability

Yes, Noah and Patric, we're talking about you here!

2057058214_BSCtwitter1.0.thumb.png.f4ece07257cebbf2edb7f4a91913a94c.png

Here is the competition review, which wasn't bad all things considered

30912251_BSC1.0seasonreview.thumb.png.033e664456a8a58c04df94946ec6d562.png

So, as you can imagine, the board would be very happy

Except for the poor showing in the Swiss Super League of course...

2017703765_BSCboardconfidence1.0.thumb.png.42cc5df448ea5981466be5317995fd36.png

See you after the summer break then Andreas...

40387437_2464262380267600_2240234287095873536_o.thumb.jpg.49870f23b91b1f531a7eaade426d2891.jpg

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Great read once more @Jogo Bonito I'm guessing they wanted you to win the league then?  :lol:

Yourself and Basel are streets ahead compared to the rest. What are your aims for the new season? Win the league? Reach the knockout stages of the Champions League?

Roger Assale seems like a great player and at a good age being 24 too.  :thup:

Many congratulations on your cup win!  :cool:

@Gunner 101 Thanks mate. Yeah, it seems they did want that! Next season I'll hope to make another title bid and reach the group stages of the CL again. Hopefully Assale will continue to perform this well in season 2, time will tell.

I've sorted out my pre-season friendlies which includes another game against low-level Swiss team Old Boys, a three game tour in the Middle East and then two home friendlies before the CL qualifiers and Super League start. I'm only short in a couple of positions, but not sure if I will get the men I want so the £5m budget may be left untouched.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

thumb2-young-boys-fc-4k-logo-stone-texture-grunge.thumb.jpg.45021d1669652ab8b6c97d88213e6742.jpg

Season 2 (pre-season)

Pre-season went fairly well, with three good victories on our Middle East tour of Iran, Saudi Arabia and Israel

Throwing away a 3-1 lead at home to Neuchatel Xamax wasn't ideal preparation for a CL play-off tie with Ajax though

1319553338_BSCFixtures2.1.thumb.png.c9c9369a71053b54937afec20833924a.png

All of the transfers were pre-arranged out of last year's budget

Mislav Orsic has impressed when I've seen him, and gives me an option for the left wing if I ever want to change formations

Khama Billiat is another first-team candidate, and has looked bright in pre-season as I have tested a 442 with him at the point of a midfield diamond

Raul De Tomas should be in and around the squad, but the others have gone in to the U21 squad for development 

2040201555_BSCTransferHistory2.1.thumb.png.656979b67ded70d574d7ad8416af8cce.png

Another three new recruits will be joining, with 22 year old Uruguayan striker Gonzalo Carneiro being the only one that will be in the first team squad

17 year olds Alphonso Davies and Lassana N'Diaye will join the U21 squad upon their arrival

1416917102_BSCTransferHistory2.2.thumb.png.13aa5bd88cf22bc5ab560e1e20c9b02d.png

I've not touched any of this season's transfer budget, and I'm very happy to see how much I have improved the balance sheet inside just 12 months

472272662_BSCFinances2.1.thumb.png.edda7eec193394c51d802222b5028853.png

But me and Andreas are going to be falling out if he keeps moaning like this about a lack of young players

I've signed a stack of young players, but it would be foolish to throw them in a year too early whilst I have better options

They'll definitely be getting their chance to take the club forward, just have some patience please Andreas 

95891131_BSCboardconfidence2.1.thumb.png.6cd1a22f4b719f8e7c1252b53863d0fa.png

Edited by Jogo Bonito

I can’t stay I’ve head of any of your signings but hopefully they develop well, do a job and then can be sold on for a profit. 

Best of luck with your Champions League tie with Ajax, it will be tough but I have faith in you, unlike Andreas it seems.. 

11 minutes ago, Gunner 101 said:

I can’t stay I’ve head of any of your signings but hopefully they develop well, do a job and then can be sold on for a profit. 

Best of luck with your Champions League tie with Ajax, it will be tough but I have faith in you, unlike Andreas it seems.. 

Thanks mate, I'm sure that plenty of them will flourish when they get their chance. Some were signed on free transfers purely to sell on for profit, but we have some pretty talented young boys at the club now. Andreas will regret it if he doesn't stop these barbed comments, it's all under control.

The Ajax game has been played. An update will follow after I've played a few months of the season.

Sounds good mate! Looking forward to your next update. Hope you managed to get past Ajax! 

On 01/09/2018 at 19:38, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I really want to see a network game stream between @Hoarau @Jogo Bonito and @Welshace just to see the type of players they would bring in. Maybe a Greece, Norwegian, Hungarian or Austrian league network game between the 3 of you.

Haha, like @Jogo Bonito said,  scouting is the fun part for me in FM, i'm average at best at playing the actual game tbh and wouldn't fancy my chances up against @hoarau or @Jogo Bonito :) ...  not that we'd get past pre season anyway really.

p.s great read this thread, kutgw

Yeah I would just enjoy the players you would bring and seeing how well they do, I wouldn't be that interested in watching the games unless it was a head to head match between the 2 of you but I would just like to see the different players you would buy etc.

thumb-bsc-young-boys-4k-paint-art-logo-creative.jpg.a09c26e92d8d2726b4dc44cd7b1d88c3.jpg

BSC Young Boys - season 2

After a decent pre-season, we faced a really tricky trip to Amsterdam as we started our CL qualifying campaign against Ajax

A narrow loss wasn't a bad effort, but the lack of an away goal was a concern ahead of the home return

Our Super League schedule opened with a stuttering display against Servette, and only a stoppage time winner saw us make a victorious start

After that, hopes weren't particularly high as we welcomed Ajax, but we scraped through thanks to another late clincher

We then failed to break down a stubborn Grasshoppers side on home turf, but did better against Sparta Prague in our next CL challenge

We switched to a 442 against Basel to try and nullify their attacking power, and it worked a treat as we claimed a stunning 4-0 away win

Next we finished the job in a 1-1 draw against Sparta back in Prague, with new striker Gonzalo Carneiro chipping a delightful first goal for the club

Back in Switzerland, we made 11 changes for the Swiss Cup game with Winterthur, and had to rely on penalty-shoot out to save our blushes

A competitive game in Donetsk saw Shakhtar edge us out 1-0, but again we had no away goal to help our chances at home

After beating Thun 2-1 in the Berner Derby, we then faced up to a massive European night as Shakhtar arrived fancying their chances

An early goal from left winger Mislav Orsic boosted our hopes, but the visitors levelled and we feared the worst at that point

But we held our nerve, and second half goals from Carneiro and N'Same earned us a somewhat unexpected 3-1 home win

Our reward for this, apart from £11.32m in CL funding, was a tough group with Manchester City, Lyon and Sevilla

It's not impossible of course, but we're not likely to be qualifying ahead of any of these three clubs

994514334_BSCFixtures2.2.thumb.png.3f0e891f432e625875826adedb4c7ae6.png

Due to the Champions League and our transfer business, the club value has been rocketing since taking the job last year

1051065823_BSCprogress2.1.thumb.png.6405d597b9294ae4c8a4e0140b577d22.png

But the board didn't endear themselves by going over the manager's head and accepting Inter Milan's offer for our Swiss 'wonder kid' on deadline day

Yes, it's a lot of money, and means our transfer record had been smashed for the second time in a year, but that's not the point

Firstly, we didn't need the money. Secondly, we were set to reject any offer below an initial £20m fee as all the big clubs were swatted away

Thirdly, we then lost out on the replacement we had found in case such a sale had been forced upon us - Portuguese wonder kid Diogo Dalot

The youngster had agreed to join on loan for just £7.5k p/w weeks before, but we delayed as it looked like Lotomba would remain at our club

Having asked FC Porto to delay three times, they finally cancelled the deal - and would not reconsider when we asked again following the Lotomba sale

1507706100_Lotomba1.thumb.png.e5231e75183681f68fe34da0603825e7.png

Records are all well and good, but neither of these sales were ever supposed to happen as both were a key element of this team  

1412650320_Lotomba2.thumb.png.072ea48ebfd6eed3f8e0488155598e43.png

At least our fans seemed to unite for once on social media, which was some small comfort on a bad day at the club

173298432_Lotomba3.thumb.png.c4aed9e4f300b0304b4267b9dfec3037.png

So, we had to move fast to sign a replacement right-back on the final day, with Kevin Mbabu taking control of the shirt for the time being

A few names were considered, but Khaled Narey offered the best value in terms of fee, wages and versatility

His ability to play anywhere down the right would be useful, and being German-born to Togolese parents, he also won't take a foreign player slot

Junior Oto'o, another summer signing, remains at the club, but needs more time in the U21 squad before we know if he is first team material

Below is a summary of our transfer business now that the window has closed

Apart from the late swoop for Narey, only the move for 18 year old Serbian striker Filip Stuparevic came out of this year's budget

He's joined the U21 squad along with Oto'o, Ayiah and van Bruggen

Carneiro, Billiat and Orsic are proving their value in the 25-man first team squad, whilst De Tomas is yet to stake a claim for a spot

684896893_BSCTransfers2.3.thumb.png.8512b720fd1394fcf2b34c4101ed6df9.png

Great stuff once more @Jogo Bonito

Good work on getting through to the CL group stages once more and the victory over Basel must have been pleasing! 

Its a shame the board don’t seem to be helping you out too much. Seems like a case of you don’t know what you have until you lose it. 

Best of luck for the season.  :thup:

3 minutes ago, Gunner 101 said:

Great stuff once more @Jogo Bonito

Good work on getting through to the CL group stages once more and the victory over Basel must have been pleasing! 

Its a shame the board don’t seem to be helping you out too much. Seems like a case of you don’t know what you have until you lose it. 

Best of luck for the season.  :thup:

Thanks mate. Werner and Andreas aren't really helping much, but it can't put me off what I have planned for the club. That Basel result was so unexpectedly pleasing, one of my best ever successes following a tactical switch to be honest. Now I need to get the team performing consistently in the league. The CL isn't really a priority just yet, but if I can finish 3rd and get in to the Europa League we would have a bit of interest in that.

I am so tempting to start a Young Boys save now cos of you Jogo lol, Damm you as I am really enjoying my 2nd Lyon save of FM 2018.

I might try a different team to Young Boys, I have already had a save as Grasshoppers in FM 2018 and I don't want to be Basel. 

@Jogo Bonito What Swiss league would you recommend if you decided to do another Swiss league team ?

I am pushing towards Sion, especially as I have a recent data update and Alex Song plays for them but I am curious your opinions of the teams in the league, I just do manage Young Boys as I always fancied a save with them due to the colors of their kits look good on FM and also they are called Young Boys so I am am tempted to try make it a challenge by only buying under 20 year old players if possible to keep within the name of the team.

@Ronaldo Beckham Lyon is a great club to manage, don't chuck it in if you're enjoying.

If you did go with Young Boys your ideas aren't too different to mine. For the first few years I needed to build the club up a bit, before throwing more and more young players in. If I was to pick another team here, it would be FC Zurich from the top flight. Servette or Neuchatel Xamax would be my picks from the second tier.

Thank you @Jogo Bonito I got the recent update and Neuchatel Xamax are back in the Swiss top flight so might go with them, I looked at Zurich but their squad looks like they have a lot of old players, only one main striker and way too many midfielders. The squad balance just doesn't look right for me.

I worry about managing Xamax as they went bankrupt a few years a go and I worry they will have a lot of debt and pressure will be on more to sell top players.

I will sleep on it tonight and think about being Young Boys or Sion, I am probably swaying to Sion as you are doing a save with Young Boys but you just make them so tempting to manage lol.

Ah yes, my ideas were based on clubs and squads without an update. Zurich would have been a very different game if you'd been able to use Dwamena.

If not Young Boys, and as you have done Grasshoppers, my other suggestion based on 18/19 squads would be FC Luzern. You could check Thun also as they have a very strong Swiss presence and some worthwhile players in their squad.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

My database is around 120,000 - large and custom option. I load top division in each continent, plus (for personal reasons) all players of African nationality. Finally I will include all players of the home country nationality (e.g. Switzerland on this game). I'd load all Swiss leagues as playable too, but no others.

I don't use scouts, the players I'm interested in are just in my head. I use my own memory to check these players and make a shortlist of names that I think are suitable for my club (in each position) when I start a game. This includes learning their transfer fees, contract expiry, wages etc. Then if I want a player for a certain position, I just check my shortlist and pick from there. For example, it took me about 5 minutes in real time to pick Narey as Lotomba's replacement as he was on my original shortlist. Occasionally I look at players from a specific club, or verify values, availability, contract expiry dates by player search, but that isn't done too often. I'm sure this all seems odd, hard to explain better really.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

You must have a hell of a good memory to remember all of the players you find. I have decided to pick Young Boys as it is just tempting not to but I am going to try pick different players to you so it aint a copycat save.

I am thinking of being the Switzerland national team manager as as Young Boys manager with the aim to make Young Boys the top club in the world and Switzerland as the top international team in the world.

I am curious to see how my decent laptop handles the 120k database but also excited to see what players it brings up.

I think I will get some of Young Boys best players on longer contracts to maximize how much money I get for them when big clubs come in.

Best of luck, I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

It's your thread so you are free to pick any players you want, but in my opinion it's always much more satisfying to identify your own targets. Of course, if you're stuck or need other opinions, that's what the forum is for too. There will be plenty of people who can throw some names at you, and many that are much better than me at playing FM. I wish I had been able to keep Sanogo and Lotomba for the entirety, so if you keen keep the stars around for longer that would be a really strong starting point. 

Yeah that is why I don't want to pick your players as I want to try find my own, I was just curious your process when it comes to finding the players, I appreciate your advice Jogo, much appreciated.

I am just reading the BSC Young Boys FC Wiki page and found the following info.

YB is one of the most successful Swiss football clubs internationally, and reached the semi-finals of the European Cup in the 1958–59 season

Hopefully me or you will get to the final of the Champions League or maybe win it.

Just sorting out my staff and then will set up my scouting network, I am aiming to bring in as many different African players through as possible.

@Jogo Bonito I managed to sell Hoarau to Angers for 500k but have to pay 8.75k of his wages, still saves some cash, I decided to sell Sulejmani as well.

I have bought in a few decent players so far and still have money to spend if I want to.

I have attached a photo of my tactic I am using for my first game.

Young Boys First Team.png

Young Boys Transfers.png

Young Boys Update

I have had a decent start so far with Young Boys, I started the league with a 1-0 win against Lugano but come crashing back down to earth by losing 4-1 to Grasshoppers.

I bounced back with a 4-2 win over Sion and then beating Lausanne 3-0 in the cup.

My best game so far in my short career with Young Boys is an exciting 4-4 away draw to Inter Milan in the Champions League play offs.

I would say Gregory Wuthrich is my best play so far getting 3 goals from 5 games which is very good for a centre back, other notable mentions for Nicolas Ngamaleu who has also got 3 goals so far, he plays well as the Advanced Forward position.

I will do small updates as I go along, I aint going to be as good at doing write ups as @Jogo Bonito but try to entertain people in this thread.

Fixtures So Far.png

Young Boys Vs Inter 4-4.png