Sports Interactive Community
stgahoy

FM18: Serie A - The home of Calcio

2 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

I'm trying to figure out an Italian team to take over in FM18.

I want a team that's not in any European competition, that has potential to compete for European spots, yet isn't a recently successful club (i.e. inter). Preferably one with as minimal a trophy cabinet as possible! I have no idea about the Italian leagues mind. -_-

I would second Sampdoria as a suggestion, and also add Fiorentina - I've had great fun with them on the last two FMs (and their squad changed drastically in summer 2017). Both teams have a core of young talents you can build around too. Viola don't have a nuts president though as far as I'm aware - more of a skinflint apparently but this doesn't show in the game, you get money. Both teams have great kits too: Fiorentina's purple is distinctive, and Sampdoria have some of my favourites of all time, just google "Sampdoria kit". I find that given you spend a large amount of time playing games you might want to like your team's kits. 

EDIT: Didn't see there was another page! Look forward to seeing how you get on though. 

Edited by zlatanera

4 ore fa, isignedupfornorealreason ha scritto:

Well, the guy looks crazy enough to give me the job, so Sampdoria it is! 

Btw even the team itself is really interesting!

15 hours ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

Btw even the team itself is really interesting!

Did Ferrero not have to step down last year?

4 minuti fa, lblanc ha scritto:

Did Ferrero not have to step down last year?

If I remember well now is again him and btw even before he wasn't Just under a legal point of view. He was still the one talking in public etc 

Sometimes do you offer trials to players?
Do you manage manually where to send scouts? I don't but I don't like not being able to set a short-term scouting focus just for some of my scouts and not for all!!

I never do trials, I only ever get them accepted for free agents, then someone else usually just offers them an actual contract.

I haven't manually done scouts on this version either. If I get really deep into a save (like 5 seasons) I might, but otherwise I just prefer manually scouting individual players and youth intakes. 

Just finished second season. Improved my points total by 7 and had some good results but late season collapse after Napoli defeat at home was disappointing. Juventus also collapsed at the end so we could have caught them. Also lost against Inter in cup semi-final. Europa League Final to come against Tottenham to come but not confident.

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 11.24.46.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 11.25.00.png

11 ore fa, zlatanera ha scritto:

I just prefer manually scouting individual players

I decided to not do it anymore or all times I used to scouts every ''hot prospects'' in the game :D To keep the career more realistic I decided to buy just players suggested and maybe if I have some interesting player I find for stats (absolutely not looking in the club pages) I ask him for a trial. 
I just wish being able to set a short-term scouting focus just for some of my scouts while others would continue scouting normally. At the same time I don't want to personally manage all them then I let like this. Do you let too automatic assignements right? Did you notice if they are sent to scout even u17 tournaments etc? My no!

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

Totally hammered 1-5 in the final against Spurs. Started well but once the first goal went in we collapsed. Team is so mentally weak.

4 hours ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

I decided to not do it anymore or all times I used to scouts every ''hot prospects'' in the game :D To keep the career more realistic I decided to buy just players suggested and maybe if I have some interesting player I find for stats (absolutely not looking in the club pages) I ask him for a trial. 
I just wish being able to set a short-term scouting focus just for some of my scouts while others would continue scouting normally. At the same time I don't want to personally manage all them then I let like this. Do you let too automatic assignements right? Did you notice if they are sent to scout even u17 tournaments etc? My no!

That's a decent way to do it I suppose. I tend to do the full manual scouting when I'm building up a smaller club and need every advantage. When I've been trying to implement someone else's tactics (i.e. O-zil to the Arsenal's Guardiola / Sacchi tactics) I search on attributes though. I have noticed my scouts tend to be quite good at finding domestic youth that I would otherwise overlook, in particular when a team has crap facilities I wouldn't scout their intake, but then they may have one great newgen who my scouts notice. When you said "Stats" did you mean you look at top scorers etc? Or were you meaning attributes? 

I know exactly what you mean on the second point - some of my best scouting setups have had huge numbers of scouts where I'll set a bunch of them to scout specific places (for example when managing in Norway, I had my scouts looking at every senior and youth competition in Scandinavia) but also have a bunch of guys un-assigned just in case we find someone somewhere else, or I want to take a closer look at what my main player-hunters have found. Can't really do that the same on this one. I can't say I've noticed if u-17 tournaments get scouted or not. 

@stevecummins78 what mentality do you play on? I'm just wondering if perhaps you're on Control or higher, teams like Spurs may blitz you from the off to get a goal, then sit back and wreck you on the counter, as the AI seems to be better at adjusting now. I could be wrong, but perhaps something to bear in mind when watching your highlights. 

16 ore fa, zlatanera ha scritto:

When you said "Stats" did you mean you look at top scorers etc?

Exactly this. In my rules I can offer a trial only for players that put themselves in evidence for goals, goals conceded etc depending of the roles or that have like many apps for their age (considerating league, team etc) but in this case only if i have enough attributes revelead. I do these things just to keep the game a bit more realistic. Seriously last year I was basically going on every club page and scouting all the ''hot prospect'' :D 

Oh, another rule I have is to never check hidden attributes or PA etc

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

5 hours ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

Exactly this. In my rules I can offer a trial only for players that put themselves in evidence for goals, goals conceded etc depending of the roles or that have like many apps for their age (considerating league, team etc) but in this case only if i have enough attributes revelead. I do these things just to keep the game a bit more realistic. Seriously last year I was basically going on every club page and scouting all the ''hot prospect'' :D 

Oh, another rule I have is to never check hidden attributes or PA etc

Ah that's interesting, yeah I've kinda memorised a lot of good players, but I try not to sign the same ones multiple times so for example whilst I might sign Lautaro Martinez, Felice D'Amico or Rodrygo as I only had half a season with them at Fiorentina before ditching the save, I wouldn't be chasing Domenico Berardi very hard as I've had him for years on FM16 (Sassuolo and Milan) or Manuel Locatelli (plenty of time with Milan on FM16, nearly two years at Fiorentina on FM18). 

You need the editor for that, right? I've never done that. 

Really want a new save but no idea who to try...

Give me your case for anyone except Juve and Lazio. Thinking of trying Fiorentina again

8 hours ago, Aizo4576 said:

Give me your case for anyone except Juve and Lazio. Thinking of trying Fiorentina again

Parma

9 hours ago, Aizo4576 said:

If you're open to Serie B I would second @cel1234 suggestion of Parma - a lot of nostalgia there for a lot of people, and in real life they got promoted so presumably a decent squad - and also suggest Bari: a 50,000 seater stadium, the second biggest city south of Rome after Naples, not much in the way of historic success but like many Italian clubs they've been refounded recently (2014). 

Fiorentina are a good save, I've written about them so many times I won't repeat myself as its the 2nd post on this page, would also recommend Sampdoria, Genoa or Sassuolo - I had great fun with them on FM16 and they've still got Domenico Berardi who is one of the best all-round forwards in the league. If you're wanting a team in Europe, Napoli are an obvious one as they've only ever won the league with Maradona yet keep coming close. Or just random it, until you get a Serie A team? 

Edited by zlatanera

21 ore fa, zlatanera ha scritto:

Ah that's interesting, yeah I've kinda memorised a lot of good players, but I try not to sign the same ones multiple times so for example whilst I might sign Lautaro Martinez, Felice D'Amico or Rodrygo as I only had half a season with them at Fiorentina before ditching the save, I wouldn't be chasing Domenico Berardi very hard as I've had him for years on FM16 (Sassuolo and Milan) or Manuel Locatelli (plenty of time with Milan on FM16, nearly two years at Fiorentina on FM18). 

You need the editor for that, right? I've never done that. 

Yes, me neither! But in many sites too is possible to get these infos!

Btw the first player I have taken in loan after my new rule.. he's just 15yo and starting 11 in the Brazil u20. He's even italian then it's perfect for the non-EU players slots :D 
Now I see but I am pretty sure I'll buy him even if he lacks in some physical attributes. AT least he doesn't look so much as an alien.. and this makes him already special compared to other regens :lol:
Let's see how he will develop :thup:

TD.PNG

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

3 hours ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

Yes, me neither! But in many sites too is possible to get these infos!

Btw the first player I have taken in loan after my new rule.. he's just 15yo and starting 11 in the Brazil u20. He's even italian then it's perfect for the non-EU players slots :D 
Now I see but I am pretty sure I'll buy him even if he lacks in some physical attributes. AT least he doesn't look so much as an alien.. and this makes him already special compared to other regens :lol:
Let's see how he will develop :thup:

TD.PNG

That's the jackpot there, getting a part-Italian!

One thing I have started doing is rather than painstakingly scout all the clubs with brilliant youth facilities (which in South America seems to mean 90% of them) is just look at u20s national squads. Starting for them at 15 is ridiculous though, you can't even play a player in the Bundesliga until they're 17...

Any decent Serie C teams to bring back the glory days ??

On average with top teams how much do you spend yearly for u18 players? How many of them do you buy? 

Il 25/5/2018 in 16:16 , zlatanera ha scritto:

Starting for them at 15 is ridiculous though, you can't even play a player in the Bundesliga until they're 17...

In fact he will join my team in 3 years! :D Yes, I have been super lucky that he's italian too
I bought him for 800k € only! Let's hope he has good PA and that he will develop well

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.PNG

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

6 hours ago, cel1234 said:

Any decent Serie C teams to bring back the glory days ??

Out the top of my head: Lecce, Piacenza, Livorno, Vicenza, Reggina. Not exactly fallen giants but clubs who used to figure in Serie A for long times.

Thanks mate i reckon Piacenza then remember then on Football Italia and battling relegation alot.

On 25/05/2018 at 00:17, Aizo4576 said:

I'm thinking Napoli...have a technical squad which is good for us Arsenal supporters. Also interesting as Sarri is out IRL. I'm gonna start a save now actually. 

Now in my fourth season managing Samp and have won the league three times in a row using the 4-3-1-2 narrow formation.

The squad contains only players with an Italian nationality. Mattia Caldara, Nicolo Barella, Felice D’Amico and Andrea Pinamonti are amazing!

I still have to win the CL and can improve my squad by signing Alessio Romagnoli, Patrick Cutrone and a new keeper.

The first screenshot is my home tactic for games with Juve, Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Inter, Milan and Fiorentina.

The second screenshot is my home tactic for the rest.

The third is my away tactic for games with Juve, Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Inter, Milan and Fiorentina.

The fourth is my away tactic for the rest.

The fifth is for away games to major English Spanish and German teams in the CL.

The only player instructions I use is for the GK to roll it out and to distribute to fullbacks.

20180526135731_1.jpg

20180526134339_1.jpg

20180526134700_1.jpg

20180526134135_1.jpg

20180527152755_1.jpg

4 ore fa, mjg ha scritto:

Now in my fourth season managing Samp and have won the league three times in a row using the 4-3-1-2 narrow formation.

The squad contains only players with an Italian nationality. Mattia Caldara, Nicolo Barella, Felice D’Amico and Andrea Pinamonti are amazing!

I still have to win the CL and can improve my squad by signing Alessio Romagnoli, Patrick Cutrone and a new keeper.

The first screenshot is my home tactic for games with Juve, Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Inter, Milan and Fiorentina.

The third is my away tactic for games with Juve, Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Inter, Milan and Fiorentina.

The fifth is for away games to major English Spanish and German teams in the CL.

The only player instructions I use is for the GK to roll it out and to distribute to fullbacks.

20180526135731_1.jpg

20180526134339_1.jpg

20180526134700_1.jpg

20180526134135_1.jpg

20180527152755_1.jpg

Did you use the tactics that the other guy posted here some months ago? They work well!

20 minutes ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

Did you use the tactics that the other guy posted here some months ago? They work well!

I posted similar tactics in January and I am that "other guy" lol.

You only need to tweak the tactics when the opposition pitch is narrow (exploit the middle, play wider)

I am struggling to find a brilliant Italian left back as Murru and Barreca are only decent.

I only use Italians that have their nationality since birth and no regens to make it more difficult.

In questo momento, mjg ha scritto:

I posted similar tactics in January and I am that "other guy" lol.

You only need to tweak the tactics when the opposition pitch is narrow (exploit the middle, play wider)

I am struggling to find a brilliant Italian left back as Murru and Barreca are only decent.

I only use Italians that have their nationality since birth and no regens to make it more difficult.

FAIL ahhaha :lol: I didn't check :D
No regens? And what are you going to do after some seaons?

Just now, ParanoidBuddha said:

FAIL ahhaha :lol: I didn't check :D
No regens? And what are you going to do after some seaons?

No worries about that.

Regens make the game too easy and I will play this save for eight seasons.

Also not having the best players tests your tactics and training.

Juve finished 13th last season in my save and have sold Dybala and Rugani.

This season i have won 7 out of 7 and my GD is +24 so the opposition is getting weaker.

When my save is finished I might manage Milan and Inter using only Italian players.

14 minuti fa, mjg ha scritto:

Regens make the game too easy and I will play this save for eight seasons.

Why? Do you think on average they have an higher CA-PA than real players? If not then to keep the game realistic is enough for example to buy just players suggested from your scouts as I do

7 minutes ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

Why? Do you think on average they have an higher CA-PA than real players? If not then to keep the game realistic is enough for example to buy just players suggested from your scouts as I do

Yes the regens are much better than real players but only buying players that my scouts suggested is a good idea.

Another thing I could do is to let my DOF make all the signings.

12 minuti fa, mjg ha scritto:

Yes the regens are much better than real players but only buying players that my scouts suggested is a good idea.

Another thing I could do is to let my DOF make all the signings.

I am pretty sure this has  been discussed and they said that regens on average reach the same potential than real players. Not sure if it's true though..

Nice idea! Or hide attributes for other players.. in the worse case you'll pay 50mln a player like Nagatomo

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

Which are good players outside of Serie A ??

Good stuff with Sampdoria, here are mine young Italian players midway through the third season with Inter.
Lo Faso just recovered from a broken foot, so that was a bit of a setback.

ZvuyYaG.png

1T2SMVx.png

aXHCLCI.png

SJrM6Bk.png

F2nTMeo.png

Zaniolo looks like an absolute world-beater in the making.

1 ora fa, GunmaN1905 ha scritto:

Zaniolo looks like an absolute world-beater in the making

Second database? In my career at summer 2019 he isn't not even close to that 

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

1 hour ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

Second database? In my career at summer 2019 he isn't not even close to that 

Last official update.

He might have random PA, idk.

2 ore fa, GunmaN1905 ha scritto:

Last official update.

He might have random PA, idk.

He isn't bad of course but is FAR from the one in your career

Cattura.PNG

I've been reading this thread for a while and so I thought I would join in. I've narrowed down my search for a team to two - Fiorentina and Cagliari.

Fiorentina interest me as they're a historic club that has seen a lot of transition over the course of the past twelve months or so. They need a rebuild almost else they look like falling into mid-table obscurity. 

Cagliari interest me as they're a typical mid-table side that maybe overlook on this game. They aren't a fashionable side because of this, yet have a lot of talent and would be a fresh team to manage as I don't recount seeing many saves with them. I've also heard that a club from their region of Italy have never won Serie A, so this would be another factor to consider.

Thanks for any help!

Cagliari actually has one Scudetto, should be a lot more challenging save than Fiorentina.

As you said, there's a lot promising players on the team, led by Barella, should make for an interesting save.

Someone already wrote a lot about Fiorentina on this topic, so that should help you.

Thinking about maybe a fantasy save. I have loved an AC Milan save every year for the last few years, but not this year. I think it's the new ownership/signings they made. I've heard a lot of fans are unhappy with the ownership right? Considering a save where they get new owners (maybe a RB-esque thing), but then limit myself in particular ways. Any suggestions? I'm thinking modest finances (with an underwriter and no debt), and a forced focus on youth

3 ore fa, stevecummins78 ha scritto:

First game of my crucial third season.. not quite sure how we lost this one...

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 16.32.17.png

Lately I am losing unreal matches too. More than once I hit the posts like 4-5 times in a single match and/or the opposite GK are a mix between Buffon, Neuer and Yashin while Szczesny is ridicolous. Seriously I can't wait to change him :D 

2 hours ago, Aizo4576 said:

Thinking about maybe a fantasy save. I have loved an AC Milan save every year for the last few years, but not this year. I think it's the new ownership/signings they made. I've heard a lot of fans are unhappy with the ownership right? Considering a save where they get new owners (maybe a RB-esque thing), but then limit myself in particular ways. Any suggestions? I'm thinking modest finances (with an underwriter and no debt), and a forced focus on youth

interesting idea - how about, seeing as Inter were formed because AC wouldn't sign foreigners, perhaps make it so you're unable to sign foreign players? 

On 27/05/2018 at 16:49, mjg said:

20180526135731_1.jpg

20180526134700_1.jpg

20180526134135_1.jpg

Looks nice but how do you avoid getting killed on the flanks? Tried this in FMT (Switch) and overlapping fullbacks were running riot

I put Parma back in Serie A relying on loans but really enjoying it and not doing back so far. Moise Kean is my standout.

Screenshot (109).png

Can anyone recommend a couple of good central defenders for a lower mid table team? I have roughly £5 million to spend all in all, but would naturally prefer loans or cheaper options

15 hours ago, zlatanera said:

interesting idea - how about, seeing as Inter were formed because AC wouldn't sign foreigners, perhaps make it so you're unable to sign foreign players? 

I've never really been a fan of the whole 'dont buy foreign players' thing, so I think it'll be that I can only sign players that are 24 or younger (but I don't have to sell players)

1 ora fa, Aizo4576 ha scritto:

24 or younger

Imo with a team like Atalanta would be realistic even if you put down the limit!

On 21/05/2018 at 20:46, ParanoidBuddha said:

Unfortunately.... But there would be an huge discussion to do. FM should first improve in unpredictability of players' improvements. I never found a Vidal, Barzagli that came out super late but not even a Vardy. Plus there isn't (or is way less evident than in reality) the possibility of a player performing way better in another team for X reasons (for example Salah that in Italy was just good).

Even the scouting is bad rapresented. In FM very good youngsters from ''cheap leagues''* are almost always bought from top teams but in reality isn't like this. That doesn't let the possibility to smaller teams to improve as can happen in real life (for example Sampdoria that bought Skrianiar and Schick for a total of 5mln € and sold them 2 years later for almost 70mln).

*I don't mean to be offensive but I don't know other ways to say it in english

This. And what others have said above, big clubs become rubbish after selling their top players (or even before) and even with a poor season, you can still win the league. I won it with 80 pts in the 2nd season and it was Torino and Sassuolo in 2nd and 3rd for most of the season. I`m now in my 4th season and won all of my first 11 games in the league, I just gave up the save because there`s no fun or challenge in it for me. And I didn`t even use one of those super-tactics with 3 strikers. Serie A has always been an enjoyable experience for me in the CM/FM series, but I feel it`s become too easy now, there are 10 AI clubs at most that amass pretty much all the talent in the game world (PL clubs, Bayern, Barcelona, Real, PSG and to an extent Monaco) and the other selling clubs are just to poor to recover once their top players leave. Also the Serie A TV and prize money are nowhere near to the levels of Premier League and Bundesliga, so Italian clubs end up being banned from Europe for financial troubles and you end up dominating a league that`s **** poor, with no real competition and with no chance of recovery.