FM18: Serie A - The home of Calcio

stgahoy

4 hours ago, Gungner said:

Any experiences with Torino FC? Looking at the squad, they actually have a good team! I know it may be hard to hold on to Belotti, but I really like the look of the squad. So what do you say, any experiences? Would it be possible to achieve Euro League qualification in the first season?

In my Italy save the AI has managed to hang onto Belotti well into the second season (with no european football) so would say you have a great chance. the man is an absolute goal machine too.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to start with Torino FC. 

Three players has come in: Lucas Romero from Cruizero for £4,5 mil, Yuto Nagatomi from Inter and Adama Traore from Monaco, both on season long loans. Nagatomi has a buy-out clause of £2,9 million. Only outgoing transfers has been some youngsters going out on loan. Pre-season has been good, 2 wins and 2 draws, and a win over Empoli sent us through to the 4th Qual round of the TIM Cup against Spezia. Season opener is going to be very rough, away to AS Roma. 

But here's to a succesfull save... 

Currently in January 3rd season with Inter and it's looking tougher to keep hold of my top players. Joao Mario has joined Man Utd for 54m so need a replacement. Icardi has handed in his transfer request and Kondogbia wants to join Barca. It's all going off haha! Recommendations for as good replacements? 

2 ore fa, Stackalee ha scritto:

Picked up my Genoa save again, Pellegri has become imo the greatest striker of all time, Genoa solidify their position as the best team in the world and announce the building of a new £200m stadium named after me. 

20171221131141_1.jpg

20171221131531_1.jpg

WTF?!! :D 
What about Salcedo?

Not as good I'm afraid, he's pretty much a squad player. I did try to field him first pick like Pellegri at the start of the save, but it quickly became clear I was going to have to play 1 up top and he couldn't get in the team ahead of Ricci/Centurión on the wings.

20171221163035_1.jpg

Just finished my second season with Benevento.

In my first season I sold our best player, the right winger for 3 million euros and bought Kostas Galanopoulos on loan from AEK as backup BWM and Nocerino on a free transfer in the January season. I finished comfortably 9th. Now with the TV money and steady income throughout the year, I had the opportunity in the summer to strengthen the team.

Firstly, I needed to create a strong centre-back duo, so in came Jorge from Tenerife for 3.5million euros and Marco Varnier from Cittadella for 8.5 million euros. The third big spend was winger Federico Di Francesco from Bologna for 5.5 million euros (I like tall, strong physical wingers). Remaining signings were:

Danilo Cataldi renewed his loan from Fiorentina but instead of paying his salary of 2.2 million euros, it was reduced to 1.6million euros, still the highest paid player at Benevento.

Alessandro Deiola from Cagliaro for 3.5 million euros. A promising central midfielder with 20 Determination and decent physical stats.

Transfer-listed Joel Pohjanpalo from Leverkusen for 1.7 million euros as a backup striker for Massimo Coda and strengthening our wings.

His compatriot, Teemu Pukki signed as a free transfer to supplement Pohjanpalo mainly in the wings but occasionally as a striker (noting his 1 Bravery!!!). Pukki immediately became the highest valued player at the end of season 2, being valued at 10.5 million euros.

A third Finn, Sauli Vaisanen came from SPAL as a backup centre back for 800,000 euros.

The final important signing was the 2-year loan of promising left back Federico Giraudo from Torino with a 6,000 euro monthly pay!!

I finished 2nd season in 4th place, after being champions at the end of round 1. A bad slump followed, and we secured 4th place quite luckily with results going our way for Inter and Napoli who were right behind me. Juventus were champions again, followed by Milan and Fiorentina. I also won the Italian Cuo after a surprise quarter-final 0-1 away at Juventus, followed by an easy draw against Spezia in the semi-finals and Cremonense in the Final.

I am punching well above my weight but now have transfers that need to be made with an assured place in the Champions League group stage. I also will only have about 10-15 million euros left for both transfers and wages, with an extra amount to follow at the end of August from the Champions League money.

Who should I sign and what should I do?

I need a goalkeeper to replace Brignoli who was loaned from Juventus for 2 seasons and Belec. They were both rotating but need someone better.

My wingers have generally been woeful, and I need at least 2 CMs (ball winning or box-to-box midfielder to replace Danilo Cataldi and give breathing space to Chitsbah). I will need a taller RB and a top Complete Forward to compete with Massimo Coda.

Any thoughts on given the budget and the priorities? 2 CM, 1 ST, 1 GK and 1 RB.

I play a 4-3-2-1 with 3 CMs, 1 IF-S and 1 WS-S and CF-S.

10 ore fa, luka_ ha scritto:

No preference. Just some names to check out, I need to buy some Italians pronto!:D

I didn't check the potentials then maybe some are bad players.

Spoiler

GK:
-Plizzari
-Donnarumma (of course :D )

DEFENDERS:
-Dimarco
-Pezzella
-Bastoni
-Marchizza
-Adjapong

MIDFIELDERS:
-Melegoni
-Miceli
-Ruggiero
-Ahmetaj
-Santoro
-Castellano
-D'Amico
-Locatelli

ATTACKERS:
-Lo Faso
-Vignato
-Salcedo
-Chiesa
-Pellegri
-Pinamonti
-Cutrone
-Capone
-Cortinovis

These at the start of the game should all be <19yo. Sure I missed many but I have no a list since I just have started a career with Sampdoria and I still don't have a list of players :) 
As older ones there are interesting players as Barella, Meret, Calabria, Locatelli, Sensi, Pellegrini, Romagna etc

I second Fiorentina one of the most satysfying careers i have played on FM classy city, the kit, always the nearly men and the fact they despise Juve just adds the challenge of dethrowning them and bringing the title back to a city that desperately craves it. I have However got another interesting save going at the moment that i've been meaning to do for a while and that's US Lecce.

They're is a huge culture and class difference in Italy that is reflected in Football between the north and the south and except for Napoli there are no real competitive teams in the top division, Bennevento are the whipping boys this year. and the south are really looked down upon by the richer cities and mocked regularly, That doesn't mean though that there aren't 'Big' teams in the south in terms of supporter/ultras. There are probably 4 standouts in Palermo (awesome kit) crazy owner, great youth propects, Catania (hideous badge) Bari (60,000 stadium) and Lecce who's kit is both crap yet strangely appealing, They have crazy fans too and the largest in terms of season ticket holders despite playing in serie C, so i thought what a worthy team to take back to the top and restore some pride. 

To add to the challenge i want to sign players born from the south because if this is a South vs North challenge i can't be winning with players from the enemy, also i found that they have a good friendship with Palermo which will be handy as they could be a source for many loans ans possible transfers

My Brightest Prospect is this fella, turned down Lazio a dozen times and he is coming on really well i will be building the team around him 

lezzi.jpg

lezzi2.jpg

This is How i am lining up in Serie B

4231.jpg

352.jpg

Signed Mansueto from Palermo who is just running the defence at 18 and sold Torromino our best player for 1M and signed Max clayton for free who is as good so blinding piece of business

We are so far undefeated with 10 games left and roaring back to Serie A where the real fun begins, The wolves are coming.

league.jpg

Fiorentina are a bit of a goldilocks team in that you don't have a ready made squad like the big guns but they have enough power to atttract very good players if you can afford them, and if like me you want to raid the academies of Italy for a potential future super squad then you can snap them up with ease.

I still play 17 so i don't know how much certain players have changed but in my save you start with some really good potential wonderkids straight off the bat if turored and well looked after

Milenkovic.jpg

New Vidic, Strong as an ox

lofaso.jpg

Lo Faso style is like young Ronaldo cuts inside and has alot of long shots but potentially deadly

diak.jpg

gori.jpg

Don't know if he will be top top class but local harry kane type so he gets special treatment, great name

hagi.jpg

Little pocket magician, youtube this kid along with Lo faso they look really good

As for transfers i bought Lafont, the one you have is ok and Ddragovic is maybe one for future but Lafont is gettable not cheap but will be one of the best in world and ready to start immediate

In real life they are looking at Cataldi and in my team he was playing for Italy and my Captain fantastic in 2 years, Can play sitting or B2B whatever you need he has it all, bit like Gerrard he will score the odd long ranger with 10 mins to go when your desperate

cataldi.jpg

Alongside Bennasi who also became Italy regular they were a force

Next up Capezzi i got him really cheap from Sampdoria as he was only rotation But he came through the ranks at fiorentina so i had to bring him home, pure DLP really  so in a 3 with the other 2 or with cataldi b2b next to him he is class

capezzi.jpg

I also dicovered on the editor that the great man himself Batigoal's son is on here, he is only 20 and plays striker for some amature team in argentina, Batistuta also can be made DOF he is useless but who cares just to have him back around the club is enough

Half way through my first season as Roma, no budget in the first transfer window, and it is tough! My side is unpredictable: some real Jekyll and Hyde performances! Cruising one half, then don't show up in the second half! Looking at selling a few players in January to raise funds to buy some youngsters for future years: Kolarov, Castan and Bruno Peres are all for the chop if i can find buyers!

Playing a 4-3-3 DM currently. Any idea on some bargain buys/future signings??

Looking at Pellegri, Eddy Salcedo, Arthur, Wendel (DM at Fluminese I think), Barella, D'Amico and Berardi. Not that I have the money yet :lol:

Currently in 4th season with Fiorentina, 1st team as follows. 

Gk: Rulli

Lb: Barecca

Rb zappacosta

Cb jovanovic

Cb upemancano

Cm benassi

Cm vukcevic

Aml papi gomez 

Amc barco

Amr lo faso

Cf vlahovic

Backups, alastra, biraghi, mile novice, varnier, rispoli, rigoni, Schmidt, zekhini, Simon, saponara  plus regens

51 minuti fa, ParanoidBuddha ha scritto:

@RBKalle which formation do you use with Sampdoria? I tried a first ''beta'' career just to get used but my 4312 + my tactics have been a pure failure

Plain ol' and boring 4-4-2

Despite 4-3-1-2 being much more functional with the original squad (no decent wingers and plenty of CMs), there's simply no way, as far as my tactical acumen goes, to make it work. It's passable against stronger teams, but I went nowhere against relegation candidates for some reason.

Maybe it also had something to do with how inconsistent Alvarez and Ramirez are (and with the red-card fest the Beta version was), but that formation simply didn't deliver

13 minuti fa, RBKalle ha scritto:

Plain ol' and boring 4-4-2

Despite 4-3-1-2 being much more functional with the original squad (no decent wingers and plenty of CMs), there's simply no way, as far as my tactical acumen goes, to make it work. It's passable against stronger teams, but I went nowhere against relegation candidates for some reason.

Maybe it also had something to do with how inconsistent Alvarez and Ramirez are (and with the red-card fest the Beta version was), but that formation simply didn't deliver

Who on the left and right? :D 
PS: I don't like them neither in fact my plan is to buy a new one in january

4 ore fa, ParanoidBuddha ha scritto:

Who on the left and right? :D 
PS: I don't like them neither in fact my plan is to buy a new one in january

Early in season 2017-18, Sala on the right and Dodô/Strinic on the left.

Then in January 18 I signed a rather obscure RW from the Norwegian league and started to employ Caprari out of position (while retraining him).

In summer 2018 I bought Gnabry, then loaned Ryan Kent (from Liverpool) and kept on rotating the previous options. All in all Caprari as RW and Gnabry as LW worked pretty well.

In my first season managing Samp using the 4-3-1-2 narrow formation with success. The first screenshot is my home tactic. The second for away games to Juve, Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Inter, Milan and Fiorentina. The third for the rest.

I played 8 pre-season friendlies 4 home and 4 away against non league teams to ensure morale was high before the league started.

20171205230228_1.jpg

20180102130311_1.jpg

20180102131053_1.jpg

1 ora fa, mjg ha scritto:

In my first season managing Samp using the 4-3-1-2 narrow formation with success. The first screenshot is my home tactic. The second for away games to Juve, Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Inter, Milan and Fiorentina. The third for the rest.

I played 8 pre-season friendlies 4 home and 4 away against non league teams to ensure morale was high before the league started.

20171205230228_1.jpg

20180102130311_1.jpg

20180102131053_1.jpg

Thanks for posting, I really needed this! Where did you finish in the league? Do you have individual instructions?
Do you plan to sell/buy some player? 

No worries. 4-3-1-2 is my favourite tactic and in previous FM editions I have won consecutive Serie A titles and the Champions league. I have no individual player instructions as I like the players to have their own PPM’s.

Fullbacks will run with ball down left/right. Centre backs stay back at all times and mark opponents tightly. Midfielders try killer balls often.  

Attacking midfielder will run with ball often and try killer balls often. Complete forward will shoot with power and try killer balls often. Advanced forward will run with ball though centre and place shots.

In my save I’m currently at the beginning of January and still first. I'm confident I will win the league as I'm out the Italian Cup and there is no fixture congestion to worry about. Quagliarella and Zapata don't miss many chances but the weak links are Viviano and Alvarez but that is why they are three stars!

PSG have made a bid of £24M for Torreira but I have renegotiated it to £30M. If he goes I will replace him hopefully with Manuel Locatelli.

I buy only Italian players so my Samp squad will be all Italian by season 4.

In season two I plan so sign either Alessandro Bastoni or Riccardo Marchizza to replace Ferrari as he is not worth signing outright for £12M. I will also look at signing Felice D'Amico who will be my first choice attacking midfielder by season 4. I’m sure I will receive bids for Linetty and Praet in the summer so I will look at Nicola Barella and Alberto Grassi to replace them.

In Fm18 I am finding that clubs are bidding for my players regardless of ability as I received a bid from Napoli for Sala.  In FM17 I had to offer to clubs before a transfer bid was received for any of my title winning squad.

Also the future transfers is incorrect as Schick is to be bought by Roma for £8m but there should be an extra €20m to be received in 2020.

@mjg really thanks for your reply and impressive results!
And how do you plan to replace Viviano and Alvarez?
Do you use some particular tactic for corners/FK? Overall is a slow team an I find difficulties!
Interesting the project to bet on italian prospects! I look around the world instead :D For example Rodri and Xadas are 2 players I really want (if I won't find better solutions in the meanwhile since I am at the beginning of my new career)
Are there someone from the youth team that is doing well? There are few interesting players :) 

1 hour ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

@mjg really thanks for your reply and impressive results!
And how do you plan to replace Viviano and Alvarez?
Do you use some particular tactic for corners/FK? Overall is a slow team an I find difficulties!
Interesting the project to bet on italian prospects! I look around the world instead :D For example Rodri and Xadas are 2 players I really want (if I won't find better solutions in the meanwhile since I am at the beginning of my new career)
Are there someone from the youth team that is doing well? There are few interesting players :) 

I have not altered the setting for corner/ free kicks.

For Viviano as Udinese are third bottom and looking to be relegated Alex Meret would be perfect.

As for Alvarez I will hopefully sell him in the January 18 window and rotate Ramirez, Djuricic and Capriari until D'Amico if purchased is a three star player.

The Samp youth team have three excellent prospects, Gergely Hutvagner, Mario Ferreira and Ibourahima Balde. When they are 18 I plan to loan them as a first team player to Italian B or C teams with Great/Superb training facilities.

I find using only Italian players a better challenge as it limits your choice and they are far more expensive to buy which makes for a longer save!

Another tip is to have three of your best prospects in the first team squad and make them available for the U18/20 as the first team coaches are far better.

26 minutes ago, Gungner said:

I've tried both Torino FC and Fiorentina... But Italy is just "too easy". Won the league with both teams within the first two seasons. Kinda killed both saves. 

I was thinking of trying both these teams but maybe not now. Just finished 3rd with Wolfsburg 1st season. Always come back to Italy though. Sampdoria sounds and looks fun! 

44 minuti fa, DawsLFC88 ha scritto:

Anyone had any luck with Lazio? 

Another interesting team :) It's already pretty good from the beginning. As transfers phylosophy is requested you take players from your youth teams :) 
Udinese is another one really interesting, many good young players and a staff >>> Sampdoria's one. I just didn't like the commitment you have with Watford because it has the same president.

I want to start a career with all attributes hidden and choosing players only from their statistics on the pitch, the reports and watching them play. 
Since I expect (obviously) it will be way harder than usual (even because of course I never look CA-PA of players), I wanted to try it with Juve but I can't since there is still a bug that scouts suggest just teenagers lol

On 1/2/2018 at 18:18, Gungner said:

I've tried both Torino FC and Fiorentina... But Italy is just "too easy". Won the league with both teams within the first two seasons. Kinda killed both saves. 

It can become too easy when because as your team improves i find the rest get weaker because the big guns in europe start stealing the best players, what i did was go on editor and give the top 5 300m each and then it reversed it and they all built really hard teams.

Lazio have a really strong squad you don't have to do alot with them, great team though what with the kit, the nasty ultas and the Rome derby

14 minuti fa, Bilbaoboy ha scritto:

It can become too easy when because as your team improves i find the rest get weaker because the big guns in europe start stealing the best players, what i did was go on editor and give the top 5 300m each and then it reversed it and they all built really hard teams.

Lazio have a really strong squad you don't have to do alot with them, great team though what with the kit, the nasty ultas and the Rome derby

Unfortunately the cpu transfers still have a lot to improve. 
Some.. but others are super impartial even when they lose etc :) 

Totally agree with these comments about ai getting weaker. 4th season with Inter and Juventus have Pep in charge, finished outside top 4 and signed the likes of Sarabia from Sevilla, lost all there stars and it became less competitive. 

I found in last year's version Lazio's funds were really poor, think that's a common thing in Serie A, apart from the Milan clubs and Juve. 

Anyone any experiences of managing Fiorentina? Starting with them when Im home, by my reckoning they have 6 pretty decent to excellent youth prospects?

Would like to know more about positions that need strengthining, tactics , style of play etc?

Any update be greatly appreciated

17 minutes ago, fmhick5times said:

Anyone any experiences of managing Fiorentina? Starting with them when Im home, by my reckoning they have 6 pretty decent to excellent youth prospects?

Would like to know more about positions that need strengthining, tactics , style of play etc?

Any update be greatly appreciated

Are you playing 16 or 17

Just now, Bilbaoboy said:

yeah the money is crap even if you consistently finish top 3  and even win you may get 20m tops,  but i actually prefer that because you have to find cheap talents and do them up or get top established players on frees or transfer list

Yeh I see where your coming from. In the prem with the top teams the transfer budgets/wages become ridiculous. German is slightly less but even with Dortmund 2nd season I got 95m. 

Much more rewarding having a smaller budget and trying to find the less known players. 

Fiorentina have a nice squad to start with, some big talents at the club. 3-5-2 used to be best formation for them in previous versions but 4-2-3-1 is perfect for there players in Fm18. There fullbacks, right especially, look poor, upgrade there but they are already in the red with wages from the start.

I'm torn between Fiorentina and Lazio personally. 

It also forces you to use what you have and develop the kids as best as you can, i am going by fm 17 so 18 might vary a little but i know Fiorentina inside out, the right back Diiks is potentially really good needs tutoring but very quick, also Babacar still just aboutt qualifies for tutoring so if you can get him pumped up you have a quality striker

Hagi,Milenkovic, and Chiesa are sure wonderkids top top class and there are 4 or 5 others who are maybe wonderkids.

I got into both Lazio and Fiorentina saves deeply and researched both clubs  what eventually put me off Lazio a bit was that they have that huge stadium which is only half full, and it seems they are more interested in beating Roma than winning the league

Fiorentina on other hand have mad support and a beautiful stadium (it's designed in a way that is overlooks the tuscan hills and looks like something out of a portrait) which is rocking, also they HATE juve with a passion and have been screwed over by them a few times in past, they lost the league on final day to them in 80s due to very suspect reffing and they have never forgotten nor come close to winning the league since, add to that Bernardechi and Baggio being nicked by them causing riots outside of the ground so you have motivation to put them in there place

Also i always found it interesting how Batistuta stayed with them for the best part of his career when he could have gone anywhere and they never challenged just because he fell in love with the club and city

1 hour ago, Stackalee said:

Torino are decent, closest title race ever and I learned the league is decided on head to heads, heh.

20171219152945_1.jpg

Congrats on winning the title mate. I can see you raided Atlanta for Petagna. How much did he cost?

Archived