Health and Safety Gone Mad: a trip around FM18 Stadiums

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 20:22, AndyRhys said:

Agreed. Just my personal view but I thought the grounds in FM17 were much more realistic then what has been dished up in the new version.

I am not asking for exact copies of real life stadiums but we should have some realism that the size of the stadium reflects the capacity.

I really don't know what happened to the graphical side of this game. it seems they have been pushing a lot for graphical improvements, but from Regen faces to stadiums, they are absolutely hopeless. It's so bad, an amateur can probably design 10 stadiums with better variety and realism then what SI has done. Lesser said about regen faces the better.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

I really don't know what happened to the graphical side of this game. it seems they have been pushing a lot for graphical improvements, but from Regen faces to stadiums, they are absolutely hopeless. It's so bad, an amateur can probably design 10 stadiums with better variety and realism then what SI has done. Lesser said about regen faces the better.

Totally agree. Considering the complexity of the game it should have been very simple to have produced decent looking stadium.

I think that it should be possible to at least have accurate types of stand in the stadiums for teams in FM2018. A couple of examples at Brunton Park Carlisle , an open terrace at one end, a covered terrace at the other, a seated stand down one side of the pitch and a seated stand above a standing paddock down the other as in real life. Another example Griffin Park Brentford, seated stands on either side of the pitch, a covered terrace at one end, and a covered terrace below a covered seated upper tier at the other. I don't ask for any infringements of copyright, just some more caccuracy with type of stand and size of stadium. It all adds to the immersion of the player into the game

1 hour ago, Barside said:

I think the SI/SEGA in house legal advisors are just being overly cautious, an annoying but somewhat understandable approach.

I think you are probably right Barside, but as Ginger Bomber says you can have an accurate type of stadium and still be generic

• 2 weeks later...

I play with a team that has big stadium with many seats, but it shows in 3D as a small stadium with a small number of seats. Very unrealistic.

SI should at least display a stadium with an amount of seats (or even stands) that is somewhat accurate, for realism purposes, like they did in the last few installments of the game.

12 hours ago, Sam A. said:

it looks ridiculous, when you play with a big club in a stadium with less then a 1000 seats, and only 2 stands.

It’s not ridiculous if the stadium in reality only has 2 stands. What is more ridiculous in FM18 is managing a team with a ground capacity of 2000 with a stadium that looks like it could hold 20,000.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:45, Dalglish said:

I'm not expecting FIFA18 style graphics, but we were led to believe that FM18 would have 'Improved stadium designs'. I'm seeing the potential with certain grounds, but others look like they've just been cobbled together.

Here's an example of upper tier walkways that have no safety barriers in place to stop people falling over the edge. This is the Stade Auguste Bonal (Sochaux)

Stade Auguste Bonal.jpg

haha yes, if you keep walking down the steps in the upper tier.

That said, if it aint broke dont fix it e.g. how many fans have you seen fall off the upper tier ;)

On 13/11/2017 at 22:33, Dalglish said:

To say the least, I've been a bit disappointed with the FM18 stadia, so I've decided to create a post for uploading pics of stadium oddities as and when I find them.

First up is Vale Park. This is a particularly poor effort - not only does the main stand have closed doors on exits, it also has barriers stopping people getting to their seats. 

Please feel free to add any unrealistic stadium features you see.

vale park copy.jpg

There are also fans inside Vale Park. Very unrealistic.

The stadiums in FM18 could have come directly from "FX Football", perhaps they both come from the same design studio, but even "FX" does it better, at least the weather effects show on the pitch, which it doesn't in FM18.  The graphics are really poor in this version, if this is the new graphics engine, it does not bode well for the future.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 10:34, AndyRhys said:

It’s not ridiculous if the stadium in reality only has 2 stands. What is more ridiculous in FM18 is managing a team with a ground capacity of 2000 with a stadium that looks like it could hold 20,000.

No, that's not what i meant. Obviously I meant when the club in reality has a big stadium.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump on this but given the nature of this topic it makes my question more relevant.

Why, as in all other versions, can't stadiums be switched off in preferences? I've always done that because I can't stand them given how unrealistic they are. I like watching in 3D though.

Currently I'm just playing with empty stadiums as the crowd annoys me even more.

In past versions I've just had the 3D pitch and that's done for me. Why they've removed the option is beyond me, particularly as it often gives those with low-end machines the chance to improve their graphical capabilities too.

Archived