Health and Safety Gone Mad: a trip around FM18 Stadiums

20 minutes ago, monkeywool said:

Picnic benches by burger vans are not really that important. 

Most people would agree. This is why it is quite perplexing to see them included in a game that prides itself on realism.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go to football grounds with picnic benches or the such every weekend in the 1st or 2nd Division of Denmark. It's like that in tons of countries, even in semi-pro leagues. Football culture and stadia vary greatly from country to country.

But I agree that most stadiums are ridicously unrealistic and ugly. I dont understand why the stadiums are in the game if they are not modelled by the researchers - at least to some degree? Seems quite easy to fill in some variables like number of levels, seating/standing behind goal, closed corners, roofs etc. Doesn't have to be a complete stadium editor even though that would be awesome.

Part of me laughs at people who consider this whole thing to be a problem in their life (enough to go online and post about it at least) and part of me envy's those who consider this a problem in their life (enough to go online and post about it at least....)

52 minutes ago, Meph said:

Part of me laughs at people who consider this whole thing to be a problem in their life (enough to go online and post about it at least) and part of me envy's those who consider this a problem in their life (enough to go online and post about it at least....)

That's funny, part of me laughs at people who assume too much. It's not a problem in peoples lives, just a gripe about something on a computer game brought up on a relevant forum - nothing really to envy or laugh at. Besides, if everyone stopped posting trivial stuff on this forum, then there'd be no content on here.

I would go on, but I'm sharpening my axe. I have this picnic bench in my garden and for some unknown reason, it's really starting to annoy me. 

On 11/15/2017 at 09:15, Dalglish said:

He probably means these:

picnic.jpg

On 11/15/2017 at 10:09, Ellis_D said:

Ah, my apologies, never seen them before! That is pretty shocking. Like someone else said if it was at non league grounds it might be acceptable but at bigger clubs it would be absolutely ridiculous and nonsensical.

To be fair, Chicago Fire / FC Dallas etc do have a similar fieldside section for picnic table style seating 

group2.jpgc700x420.jpg 

image.png

image.png

18 hours ago, Weston said:

To be fair, Chicago Fire / FC Dallas etc do have a similar fieldside section for picnic table style seating 

group2.jpgc700x420.jpg 

image.png

image.png

Picnic Tables are not the only things out of place in the FM18 stadiums, there is too wide stairways, "cinema doors", sash windows, far too many tunnels at pitch level, too many replica shirts etc. etc.  I am sure if we searched hard enough we could probably find an example of each, but that would not take away from the fact of how unrealistic the stadiums look in FM18

On 11/15/2017 at 21:41, MoxeysTheName said:

Hearts have just spent £14m on a new stand where you can't even see the goal from some of the seats as there is a control room blocking the view.

SI must have thought they were rebuilding from the ground up based on my Celtic squad's trip to Tynecastle in our recent match.

FM18 Construction Zone.png

On 17.11.2017 at 19:05, Tony Wright 747 said:

Picnic Tables are not the only things out of place in the FM18 stadiums, there is too wide stairways, "cinema doors", sash windows, far too many tunnels at pitch level, too many replica shirts etc. etc.  I am sure if we searched hard enough we could probably find an example of each, but that would not take away from the fact of how unrealistic the stadiums look in FM18

Im totally agree with u. Even I did not take the label off and started yet. Just added game box into my collection. Do you think it can be changed with update ?

1 hour ago, ceta96 said:

Im totally agree with u. Even I did not take the label off and started yet. Just added game box into my collection. Do you think it can be changed with update ?

No unfortunately it is probably too big a job for FM18, however if enough people raise their concerns on these forums, perhaps SI will look at it for future releases.

I don't know how anyone can play it in 3D, looks terrible and even worse this year than last. These graphics in 2017 are just unacceptable and just sheer laziness on SI's part, that's what happens when you have no competition. 

13 minutes ago, rdan said:

I don't know how anyone can play it in 3D, looks terrible and even worse this year than last. These graphics in 2017 are just unacceptable and just sheer laziness on SI's part, that's what happens when you have no competition. 

Can't argue with that

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 11:55, rdan said:

To take the four points in order

1) Quite easily.
2) No it doesn't.
3) Lack of budget and a markedly smaller size of team =/= laziness
4) No, it isn't.

10 minutes ago, Ginger Bomber said:

Is the way Tynecastle looks at the moment a bug, or does it turn into a recognisable stadium later in the game?

When Budge buys some seats... 

I've seen news items from other people's games where they announce the expansion has completed, have you gotten to that point yet?  Maybe it'll change after that, as construction work has always been represented in FM and clears up once it's complete.  If not, then imagine it's a bug.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Lordluap:

Hey Kubi... its not my ground.  I reloaded but not sure if its resolved. Oh well.  Be interested to see if anyone else can see it??  Guarani in Paraguay should anyone wanna try?

I have Paraguay active in my save and I watched a home game of Guarani and I can assure you there is no tent on the pitch. :)

I like the fact that they have at least tried to make each Stadium a little different in FM18. It's a good start that I hope will be improved maybe by FM25

But lets be honest the implementation now is quite dreadful and no amount of posts from forameuss who insists on ruining countless threads on here will change that.

I think the difference to FM 17 is that there is a lot more variety in stadiums. But there is still a lot of room for improvements, from lower leagues stadium to the big ones. Just bear in mind, that they can not use real stadium templates due to legal reasons. Personally I think the possibility to edit stadiums in the editor would do the trick.

KUBI  everyone has been asking for this for so long now. We all get that they cannot use real stadium designs same as they cannot use real logos and real faces in some cases and real competitions but if they can hand the last three over to the community I'm not sure why the stadiums is such a taboo as that would seem the least likely to attract attention from the corporate lawyers.

Oh and crowd noises... that's something that can be fixed and right away but its been reported so many times without any change. I think ppl just don't bother reporting stuff any more as it seems to make no difference

11 hours ago, KUBI said:

I think the difference to FM 17 is that there is a lot more variety in stadiums. But there is still a lot of room for improvements, from lower leagues stadium to the big ones. Just bear in mind, that they can not use real stadium templates due to legal reasons. Personally I think the possibility to edit stadiums in the editor would do the trick.

Room for improvement is an understatement KUBI.  We understand that SI can't use real stadiums, but I am not sure that the quest for variety is the answer, because lets be honest lots of modern stadiums look the same.  I personaly would prefer more realistic looking stadiums that are the same than a variety of unrealistic looking stadiums, too many wrongs will never make a right.

I am really enjoying playing FM18 but the one thing that is annoying me is the unrealistic stadiums. Grounds with a capacity of 1000 appear to have large stands on all 4 sides of the ground that make them look like they have a capacity of over 10,000.  And don't get me started on the two-tiered stands with standing areas on the top level.

27 minutes ago, AndyRhys said:

I am really enjoying playing FM18 but the one thing that is annoying me is the unrealistic stadiums. Grounds with a capacity of 1000 appear to have large stands on all 4 sides of the ground that make them look like they have a capacity of over 10,000.  And don't get me started on the two-tiered stands with standing areas on the top level.

If the objective of SI is to get more people to play with 3D, this is not the way to do it

8 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

If the objective of SI is to get more people to play with 3D, this is not the way to do it

Agreed. Just my personal view but I thought the grounds in FM17 were much more realistic then what has been dished up in the new version.

I am not asking for exact copies of real life stadiums but we should have some realism that the size of the stadium reflects the capacity.

32 minutes ago, AndyRhys said:

Agreed. Just my personal view but I thought the grounds in FM17 were much more realistic then what has been dished up in the new version.

I am not asking for exact copies of real life stadiums but we should have some realism that the size of the stadium reflects the capacity.

I felt that there were some issues with stadiums in FM17 and that FM16 was the last version to have realistic looking stadiums and even FM12 had more realistic stadiums than today, agreed very little variety but certainly more realistic looking.

On 12/4/2017 at 15:42, forameuss said:

To take the four points in order

1) Quite easily.
2) No it doesn't.
3) Lack of budget and a markedly smaller size of team =/= laziness
4) No, it isn't.

LMA Manager 2007 on the PS2 looks a lot better than FM.

15 hours ago, rdan said:

LMA Manager 2007 on the PS2 looks a lot better than FM.

Plenty of games do, but that's not really the point.  The 3D is taking what the ME outputs and visualises it on the screen.  That's the case for FIFA/PES/LMA, anything really.  But in the case of all of those mentioned, the Match Engine used is incredibly simplistic compared to what FM offers, so it's far easier to animate the limited range of options and outcomes.  Does it not use canned animations to rather than reactive ones, like FIFA Manager did?

None of that really changes anything though.  It isn't and has never been a priority.  They have a limited amount of time to work on the game, with what is a small team.  Producing a 3D engine that works to look (which is only a tiny part of it) like how you're referring to, would take far more resources - time and money - than they likely have.

3 hours ago, forameuss said:

Plenty of games do, but that's not really the point.  The 3D is taking what the ME outputs and visualises it on the screen.  That's the case for FIFA/PES/LMA, anything really.  But in the case of all of those mentioned, the Match Engine used is incredibly simplistic compared to what FM offers, so it's far easier to animate the limited range of options and outcomes.  Does it not use canned animations to rather than reactive ones, like FIFA Manager did?

None of that really changes anything though.  It isn't and has never been a priority.  They have a limited amount of time to work on the game, with what is a small team.  Producing a 3D engine that works to look (which is only a tiny part of it) like how you're referring to, would take far more resources - time and money - than they likely have.

The ME and animations should not affect the unrealistic look of the stadium

18 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Granted they're separate things, but the original post I replied to referred to 3D as a whole.

This thread is about the stadiums in FM18 and I believe the original post refered to, was about the LOOK of the 3D there was no mention of the ME or animations

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

This thread is about the stadiums in FM18 and I believe the original post refered to, was about the LOOK of the 3D there was no mention of the ME or animations

The look of the 3D (excluding the stadiums and surrounding static content) is obviously very closely linked to the ME and animations, one follows the other.  If that post was purely referring to the stadiums - and I wasn't corrected to that the first time I replied - then fair enough, but I don't think it was.  The look encompasses everything, and if you're going to blanket say how the 3D looks, it's  a bit unfair to focus on just one factor.

19 minutes ago, forameuss said:

The look of the 3D (excluding the stadiums and surrounding static content) is obviously very closely linked to the ME and animations, one follows the other.  If that post was purely referring to the stadiums - and I wasn't corrected to that the first time I replied - then fair enough, but I don't think it was.  The look encompasses everything, and if you're going to blanket say how the 3D looks, it's  a bit unfair to focus on just one factor.

As I said this whole thread is about the stadiums, the clue is in the title, with that in mind why wouldn't the original post be about the stadiums

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

As I said this whole thread is about the stadiums, the clue is in the title, with that in mind why wouldn't the original post be about the stadiums

Because threads quite easily go off topic?  Like I said, if the post I replied to, which didn't mention stadiums specifically in any way, was actually referring to stadiums specifically, then fair enough.

Does it really matter?

14 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Because threads quite easily go off topic?  Like I said, if the post I replied to, which didn't mention stadiums specifically in any way, was actually referring to stadiums specifically, then fair enough.

Does it really matter?

If you read the other posts on this thread, the only person to go off topic is yourself.  The fact that the OP didn't refer to the stadiums directly is irrelavent really as why would you post in a thread about the stadiums if you were meaning something else.  There are other threads about the ME and animations as you are well aware as you have posted on them.  By bringing other aspects of the 3D into this discussion only distracts from the point that the stadiums in FM18 are of a poor design

Archived