Anyway, now to get the thread truly underway icon_cool.gif

Reserves beat Sunderland 4-1 icon14.gif

United lined up thus:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Ricardo

Picken McShane Pique Lawrence

Eagles Ngalula Jones Heath

Blake Rossi</pre>

Only recognisable name in the Sunderland side (watched by Mick McCarthy - shame Keano didn't make one of his regular appearances at Moss Lane icon_biggrin.gif) was Sean Thornton, although it took me a while to realise which one he was as he's lost the shock of peroxide hair he had when I last saw him playing in the Sunderland first team.

The first half was mostly noticeable for a brace of goals from Sylvan Blake to give the Reds a 2-0 half-time lead. I missed the first (damn you Metrolink/taxi/knee icon_mad.gif), but the second was brilliantly taken after the ball broke to him when Eagles was tackled (the way he took it round the keeper was very Ruud-esque). Sunderland offered very little going forward but did get a chance to pull a goal back towards the end of the half when Ricardo decided it was time to give away his customary penalty (every bloody game icon_biggrin.gif). Almost as predictable as the fact he was going to give a penalty away was the fact he was going to save it, and that he did icon_biggrin.gif.

United came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half and quickly added a third. Heath was brought down just outside the box on the left-hand side, and from Eagles' free-kick, Rossi (undoubtedly the smallest guy on the pitch) rose to power a header against the underside of the bar, the ball bouncing down right on the goal-line. Pique hooked the loose ball in and was credited with the goal, but the ball might have crossed the line from the original header.

3-0 up and cruising, United were by no means finished, and Blake thought he'd wrapped up his hat-trick when tapping in a brilliant Rossi cross, only for a slightly dubious offside flag to rob him. He wasn't to be denied for long though, and when Rossi broke clear shortly after, the Italian unselfishly squared it (admittedly via a defender's boot) to Sylvan, who completed his treble with the simplest of finishes.

There were decent chances to further add to the United tally, as David Jones, Rossi and substitutes Poole and Ritchie Jones all went close, but the game petered out somewhat, and with United looking a little sloppy at the back, Sunderland took advantage to grab a last-minute consolation from Wanless. Some goal it was too - a good 35 yards out, left-foot, in off the angle of post and bar with Ricardo nowhere. The player's shrug of the shoulders and his team-mates' hysterical laughter suggested it wasn't something he regularly pulls out of the bag, but a hell of a strike nonetheless.

David Jones (ifb) was my MOM yet again - it's absolutely criminal that he's not at the very least had a Carling Cup run-out. He's so composed on the ball and is turning into an excellent box-to-box midfielder this season. And to sum it up in standard OTF style - Jones >>>> Kleberson = Phil Neville >>>>>>> Djemba-Djemba >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JOS.

PLAY HIM FERGIE icon_mad.gif

Rossi was class as well (icon_cool.gif), and McShane arguably outshone Pique at the back. Very good showing all in all icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Father Senegal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bling:

Genuinely disapointing from a gentleman of your considerably advanced age icon13.gificon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought I'd usher in a new era of no sh1ts and respect to Man U legends icon_frown.gif

Next up, Terry Gibson icon_cool.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Terry Gibson was a leg-end not a legend. icon_mad.gif Colin Gibson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Terry Gibson

I've only just stumbled across this icon_frown.gif Another good win by the reserves, and as Nick said get David Jones in or around the first team for goodness sake.

What more does he have to do ? - insert comment about 'be Scottish' ' have Martin Ferguson watch him' 'sign up to Elite for his management' etc. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Father Senegal:

I was at that game icon_frown.gif

Still, you went on to lose the final icon_cool.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that the season where Arsenal only conceded 4 league goals at home all season?

If so, the result was even more amazing. For you kids, the first team played in the league cup in those days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Was that the season where Arsenal only conceded 4 league goals at home all season?

If so, the result was even more amazing. For you kids, the first team played in the league cup in those days. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was in that awful blue checked away kit as well, wasn't it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

If so, the result was even more amazing. For you kids, the first team played in the league cup in those days. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We conceded 10 at home that season, more than we did away from home as it happens.

I do remember that up to that game we'd only conceded 6 all season, then let the same amount in one game icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

GILL CALM AFTER AGM

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has praised Shareholders United following the club's AGM on Friday.

The Old Trafford official also revealed that Lazio still owe some of the Jaap Stam fee, even though the Dutchman was sold back in 2001, and feels there is no need for concern about the growing feud with Arsenal.

"It was one of the more interesting AGMs," he told Sky Sports News.

"The views of the fans came through loud and clear, as did the views of the board. We are obviously on agreement about that particular issue [any takeover of the club].

"The fans have clearly got their views, their objectives, they are very well organised, articulate and intelligent people.

"I understand many of them have been fans for many, many years through their fathers and grandfathers and that's the view of the club. It's one of the key strengths of the club and why we can do large sponsorship and commercial deals and that's why we can look to expand the stadium because of the strength of that support.

"Our customers, our fans, don't change allegiance and quite rightly.

"We have to look at the solution going forward. Shareholders United are pleading for supporters to buy shares and that's how they can show their allegiance and control of the club going forward.

"We clearly know Cubic Expression well, we know the Glazers and I'm sure they are amenable to meetings, and we've got to move it forward.

"Manchester United deserves and must have a stable long-term structure in terms of its ownership. It's very important to us, very important to fans and the employees and we're looking to do that."

Gill admitted Lazio were still in debt with United over the sale of Dutch favourite Stam three years ago.

"It's not embarrasing at all," he claimed. "We've worked at it and it's been around a long time.

"We've received half of what we're owed and we're getting interest on it. It's been painful and has taken more time than it should have, given Lazio's standing in the game, but we've moved to a solution where we get the money."

With Arsenal due to visit Old Trafford again on December 1, Gill is ruling out any repeat of the stormy scenes that marked the end of the champions' lengthy unbeaten run.

"We may do [meet with Arsenal officials]," he stated. "I think there will be a degree of calmness and that will go pretty well I'm sure.

"I'm very confident [there will be no repeat]. There's lots written in the media, they use every opportunity to create a story but we've got to make sure we move on and we do what's good for football.

"I'm sure that's what we feel, what Arsenal feel and Sir Alex Ferguson feels. I think that will happen."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only are Lazio crap they still owe us £8m+.

Good to see him praise the supporters tho and not totally dimiss actions over the last few months.

Yes Lazio are crap, but then we all knew that anyway. We should send the baliefs (sp?) round.. what coudl we take tho? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mark g:

It was in that awful blue checked away kit as well, wasn't it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I was going to mention that but I couldn't think of a way to describe that ugly kit. It was light blue and white.

I think United wore that when we won the league cup in 1992.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I had that kit, it was awesome icon_cool.gif

Sharpey was awesome that game - he was my hero back then icon14.gif

Decent interview with him in the match programme from Wednesday actually. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hated that kit.

Here it is again, along with pretty much every kit we've ever worn. I particularly liked the '75 and '93 away kits.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

The '96 white away kit and the Newton Heath kit icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That Newton Heath kit always reminds me of us going out of the cup at Bramhall lane, when Fergie played Giggs up front nad said that's where he'd probably end up (little did we know icon_rolleyes.gif) and Bruce missed a penalty to get us back level icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mark g:

The '96 white away kit and the Newton Heath kit icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That Newton Heath kit always reminds me of us going out of the cup at Bramhall lane, when Fergie played Giggs up front nad said that's where he'd probably end up (little did we know icon_rolleyes.gif) and Bruce missed a penalty to get us back level icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

On the plus side, it always reminds me of the Cup Game against Wimbledon where Eric controlled the ball on his thigh and then hit the most perfect volley to complete a 3-0 win icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Three Manchester United directors have been booted off the Old Trafford board as Malcolm Glazer exacted revenge for his stalled takeover bid.

Highly-respected legal adviser Maurice Watkins, new commercial director Andy Anson and non-executive director Philip Yea all had their appointments blocked after a representative of the American business tycoon turned up at the club's annual general meeting to cast his 28.11% stake in the club against the trio's re-election.

With majority shareholders Cubic Expression following their own convention by abstaining and most City institutions following suit, the vote on Glazer's behalf was enough to deliver a massive bodyblow to chief executive David Gill, who recommended all three men should remain in position.

A statement from Manchester United PLC confirmed: "Certain resolutions at the Annual General Meeting were rejected, including those relating to the reappointment of Maurice Watkins, Philip Yea and Andy Anson as directors.

"This was principally a result of The Glazer Family Partnership ('Glazer Family') voting against the resolutions.

"Had the Glazer Family abstained or voted in favour of these resolutions they would all have been passed.

"The board are very disappointed with this outcome as we do not believe it is in the best interests of the company.

"Our focus as a board will continue to be on running the business and we will be discussing with our advisers over the next few days our response to the failure of these resolutions."

Fearing such an outcome in the build-up to the meeting, Gill had taken legal advice on how the club should now proceed.

While Watkins, an Old Trafford board member for more than 20 years, and Anson can continue their work for the club, neither man can be directly involved in key decisions, while Yea may be forced to sever his ties completely.

The stunning move sends United into a chaotic situation and seriously weakens Gill, who together with finance director Nick Humby is one of only two executive directors remaining on the board, just a month after his public announcement that he was breaking off talks with Glazer over the possibility of a takeover because it required too much debt.

It raises the alarming possibility of a hostile approach from the American or Glazer demanding a seat on the board.

No-one from the club was immediately available to comment on the dramatic development, although chairman Sir Roy Gardner had earlier outlined the problems being caused by incessant takeover talk.

"My hope is that we can bring more stability to the club's ownership structure because there is little doubt that the continuing talk of takeover is disrupting to our many stakeholders," he said.

Gardner added that the intention of the United board was to seek talks with Glazer over his immediate plans.

These plans must be moved forward as a matter of high urgency as a massive question mark now hangs over the club.

Shareholders United, the influential fans' group who have campaigned so vigorously against Glazer's involvement in the club, were quick to urge Gill to take a hard-line stance against the American.

"We hope the board will not waver in their decision to knock back Malcolm Glazer's bid," said SU spokesman Oliver Houston.

"That decision was based on sound financial principles. It would have plunged the club into debt and was clearly not in the best interests of the existing shareholders.

"They should not flinch one iota from the decision, which was 100% correct.

"Malcolm Glazer has now thrown his toys out of the pram but no-one should be surprised. This is how he behaves. This is why we are so uncomfortable with him being such a large shareholder.

"He doesn't do dialogue, comprimise or openness. He wants to ride roughshod over Manchester United but we don't want him and we will pursue any legal means possible to keep him out."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Malcolm Glazer's bid to buy Manchester United appears to be in tatters after the American's bankers JP Morgan dramatically resigned.

The decision was swiftly followed by a similar course of action from Brunswick PR, the company who have been looking after Glazer's media interests during his controversial attempt to takeover the Old Trafford outfit.

Advertisement

While there has been no formal statement from either organisation, it is understood that Glazer has been informed of the decisions, which came at the end of a dramatic day in which the American removed three members of United board.

Against the wishes of chief executive David Gill, the re-elections of long-serving legal adviser Maurice Watkins, commercial director Andy Anson and non-executive director Philip Yea were all blocked by a Glazer representative at Friday's annual general meeting.

With major shareholders John Magnier and JP McManus following usual convention by not casting a vote and leading City institutions following suit, Glazer's 28.11% stake was enough to prevent the trio being re-elected.

Within an hour of the result of the ballot being known, the remaining members of the United board sanctioned a statement claiming Glazer had threatened to take action unless he was allowed to view confidential information about the company, with which he could lodge a hostile takeover.

Having had the access denied, Glazer carried out his highly controversial threat.

But it appears the action has backfired on the 76-year-old owner of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFL franchise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Source

icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Glazer's financial backers resign

Malcolm Glazer's bid to buy Manchester United was dealt a serious setback after the American's bankers JP Morgan resigned on Friday night.

Earlier, three United directors lost their seats on the Old Trafford board as the takeover saga turned nasty.

Legal adviser Maurice Watkins, new commercial director Andy Anson and non-executive director Philip Yea all had their appointments blocked.

Glazer cast his 28.11% stake against their re-election at the club's AGM.

United recently ended talks with Glazer over his bid to gain control.

JP Morgan, who were thought to be crucial to the US tycoon's takeover bid, are said to be unhappy at Glazer's boardroom coup.

Commentators said earlier developments could mean Glazer is preparing a hostile takeover bid and the club is now asking Mr Glazer to clarify his intentions as soon as possible.

The tycoon's actions at the AGM were aided by the abstention of majority shareholders Cubic Expression, with most City institutions following suit.

Chief executive David Gill had recommended that all three men should remain in position.

A statement from Manchester United plc claimed their ousting was "principally a result of The Glazer Family Partnership ('Glazer Family') voting against the resolutions.

"The board are very disappointed with this outcome as we do not believe it is in the best interests of the company.

"Our focus as a board will continue to be on running the business and we will be discussing with our advisers over the next few days our response to the failure of these resolutions."

While Watkins, an Old Trafford board member for more than 20 years, and Anson can continue their work for the club, neither man can be directly involved in key decisions.

Yea may be forced to sever his ties completely.

The move leaves United in a chaotic situation and weakens Gill who, along with finance director Nick Humby, is one of only two executive directors still on the board.

It also raises the possibility of a hostile approach from the American, or Glazer demanding a seat on the board.

Glazer has recently spent £65m raising his stake from 19.1% to its current level.

United fans' groups have publicly opposed a takeover by Glazer who owns the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Shareholders United, the influential fans' group who have campaigned against Glazer's involvement, said the club should stand firm.

"We hope the board will not waver in their decision to knock back Malcolm Glazer's bid," said SU spokesman Oliver Houston.

"That decision was based on sound financial principles. It would have plunged the club into debt and was clearly not in the best interests of the existing shareholders."

"Malcolm Glazer has now thrown his toys out of the pram but no-one should be surprised. This is how he behaves.

"This is why we are so uncomfortable with him being such a large shareholder.

"He doesn't do dialogue, comprimise or openness. He wants to ride roughshod over Manchester United."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Link including the one picture they seem to have of the gurning idiot.

Looks pretty definite that they've pulled out of backing him icon_biggrin.gif

Anybody else find it ironic that the club that has, for the last decade, epitomised the, now, current trend of football clubs being run like PLCs becoming a victim of this ideal? I have a certain amount of sympathy because Glazier WILL milk Man Utd PLC for all it is worth. But, then again, you almost had it coming.

But what the hell do I know, I'm a Leeds fan and our situation is far, far, far, far, far, far worse than the curren Utd dilemma.

In football, as in life, what comes around goes around.

Archived