FM18: Nottingham Forest Thread

mistrollingin

I must start with an apology as no great introduction to this thread will follow. Suffice to say that he club after 5 terrible years of mismanagement has been taken over by people who seem to know what they are doing and have in a short space of time brought some feelgood factor back to the City Ground. it's early days and there is still much to be done but the signs are at least considerably better. They also have a manager who seems to fit perfectly with the club's ethos in Mark Warburton. So, maybe rather than spoil all that we should manage another team and let Forest just get on with it!

The squad still needs a bit of work with the defence being the major concern, but you also have some exciting young players at your disposal. Barrie McKay and Kieron Dowell should help bring some attacking flair and Jason Cummings should develop into a very decent striker. There are also academy graduates Jordan Smith, Joe Worrall, Ben Osborn, Matty Cash, Tyler Walker and Ben Brereton to build some club personality around.

From my perspective I am keen to give some responsibility to my staff, so any recommendations for a staff team that can support bringing in young players and developing them would be much appreciated. The club is so much like the one I want it to be now that I just want to follow that through. Possession football but with a cutting edge, player development and good core values. Hopefully I will have the time to put a backroom team in place to support that while I focus on winning football matches. Time will tell.

Share your progress here and be prepared to share your wisdom, I think I'm going to need it!

"he's got no hair but we don't care....stevie stevie stone"  He has great mental stats, good technical coach and great working with youngsters. Good luck with Forest mate, hope you can continue the Warburton Way, I haven't done a Forest save yet but will get round to it eventually, having looked at the squad its quite a challenge this year with the injuries at the start, bit thin on the ground with Midfielders and wingers but loads of strikers! anyway good luck. YOU REDS!

Managed to sign Aden Flint on transfer deadline day to strengthen the back 4, hes playing alongside Worrall, who is going from strength to strength.

Was approached by a Spanish midfielder called Javi Matilla, who is controlling stuff in the middle alongside Bridcutt. :D

Yeah I picked up Stevie Stone too :) I probably could have got Pearce too as I saw that he had just taken up a coaching job, I link in League 1! 

What formations are you guys playing? My main is 523 with inverted wingbacks and 3 central strikers. So far i'm unbeated but only 6 league games in so very early days...

Bridcutt and Cummings are standouts so far but I want to work in McKay. I cant seem to workout a decent formation that fits him in yet, and the same goes for Dowell.

Osborn is being retrained into a wingback to replace Fox as it tended to be his best position in FM17

Curci (new on a free) > Worral, Mancienne, Hobbs > Darikwa, Fox,> Osborn, Bridcutt > Murphy, Cummings, Vellios/Clough

Have just been promoted to the championship, at the same time Forrest have been relegated so a few players are unhappy. I tried to get Cummings but they don’t want to sell. They have offered me Clough for about £5m (few hundred thousand up front, instalments, and add ons). It’s a lot of money for me but I do need a striker and have been playing with a false 9. Is he worth it?!

@Gilbo88In FM17 i'd say yes 100% (he goes onto to play for England in my saves), but 13 games into my FM18 season and he's been very flaky and not cemented a place in my starting XI. His general stats look the same so I'd still take another opinion. I think 5m is worth it though. Shame you cant get Cummings as he's another step up.

1 hour ago, Carninho said:

@Gilbo88In FM17 i'd say yes 100% (he goes onto to play for England in my saves), but 13 games into my FM18 season and he's been very flaky and not cemented a place in my starting XI. His general stats look the same so I'd still take another opinion. I think 5m is worth it though. Shame you cant get Cummings as he's another step up.

Yeah I’m not sure whether to go for him or not. His attributes look much better than my current options, but he did very little for Forrest last season when they got relegated. My scouts feel he would be a quality purchase and should become a premier league forward, but it’s a lot of money for me on someone who isn’t proven 

Right.

Introduction to the team.. 

This is from my point of view... ;)

Goalkeepers

43 - Jordan Smith

Product of the Forest academy, Jordan will start the season in game as the first choice keeper. Good shotstopper, whose distribution is in need of improvement. He is a solid, dependable choice for your keeper, and one that will take up a few years in game as he is only 22. Has over 100 appearances in his career, having spent time on loan at Ilkeston and Nuneaton prior to breaking into the first team squad at Forest.

31. Stephen Henderson

28 years old, and good enough to be a first choice keeper, however, he finds himself out injured for a few months at the start of the game, with a ruptured achilles tendon (the injury which allowed Jordan Smith to take his first team place).

Dimitar Evtimov

The Bulgarian keeper is another product of the Forest academy, having come to the UK in 2010. He is a good shot stopper, and has good distribution, however, finds himself behind 2 keepers who are better than him. Not on a massive contract, so can stay to be a backup.

Other Options

Tim Erlandsson - The Swedish keeper is another product of the Forest academy who is very highly thought of. Had a profitable time on loan at Barrow in 2016/17, and went out on loan to AFC Eskilskuna in early 2017. He remains on loan until Christmas.

Liam Bossin - Belgian born, Irish keeper, signed for the Forest U23 team this season. Has appearances for Ireland U21, and is a dependable keeper. Can distribute the ball very well.

Jordan Wright - Another Forest academy player, highly thought of, and part of the production line of talent goalkeeperwise thats coming out of The Nigel Doughty Academy.

---

I'm halfway through the 1st season and from being top and unbeaten at the 11 match mark, i lost to Hull then the side started. Form has dipped and I'm conceding late goals from some comedy errors at the back.

I'm still in the playoffs but only just, and have 3 month injuries to Murphy and Bridcutt (who is by far my standout player).

Also After the Derby match Rowett said in the press that I should be sacked due to my teams physical approach, lol.

The board gave me a cash injection and there's no money to spend. i only made one free transfer yet we are leaking money

Brereton may be off in the January transfer window as I'm seeing a number of press reports linking him with moves away (he's valued at £3m).

Currently into my 3rd season and it seems patience is finally paying off!

2017/18

I relied on a few loanee’s and struggled to get goals, the board accepted a £8m bid for Osborn in Jan (of which I was handed just over £1m to spend on 30th Jan …). Cohen duly kicked up a stink for selling him even though I had no say so he went to Reading and our form and position plummet ultimately ending up in 15th despite hovering in the top half hoping for a late push, not to be.

2018/19

My second season saw a much better but ultimately not great finish of 9th, again a small transfer kitty meant it was scouting the freebies and loans. A changed tactical approach saw us joint top scorers but it did leave us far too open, really I should of got us a top 4 finish and we finished 2 points off a play off spot. 

2019/20

Currently we are smashing it at the top of the league in February and clear by 8 points, plenty of goals still and managed to invest into the back 4 despite having to sell star striker Zach Clough for a whopping £20m to Wolves. Signed a regen algerian striker (after 2 failed work permits somehow we got him!) for peanuts who is averaging 1 in 2 so as long as he can keep firing then we should be back in the Prem next season.

Strangely I've really enjoyed the challenge as usually I've got us up within first or second season so long may that continue.

On 11/15/2017 at 15:56, robterrace said:

Right.

Introduction to the team.. 

This is from my point of view... ;)

Goalkeepers

43 - Jordan Smith

Product of the Forest academy, Jordan will start the season in game as the first choice keeper. Good shotstopper, whose distribution is in need of improvement. He is a solid, dependable choice for your keeper, and one that will take up a few years in game as he is only 22. Has over 100 appearances in his career, having spent time on loan at Ilkeston and Nuneaton prior to breaking into the first team squad at Forest.

31. Stephen Henderson

28 years old, and good enough to be a first choice keeper, however, he finds himself out injured for a few months at the start of the game, with a ruptured achilles tendon (the injury which allowed Jordan Smith to take his first team place).

Dimitar Evtimov

The Bulgarian keeper is another product of the Forest academy, having come to the UK in 2010. He is a good shot stopper, and has good distribution, however, finds himself behind 2 keepers who are better than him. Not on a massive contract, so can stay to be a backup.

Other Options

Tim Erlandsson - The Swedish keeper is another product of the Forest academy who is very highly thought of. Had a profitable time on loan at Barrow in 2016/17, and went out on loan to AFC Eskilskuna in early 2017. He remains on loan until Christmas.

Liam Bossin - Belgian born, Irish keeper, signed for the Forest U23 team this season. Has appearances for Ireland U21, and is a dependable keeper. Can distribute the ball very well.

Jordan Wright - Another Forest academy player, highly thought of, and part of the production line of talent goalkeeperwise thats coming out of The Nigel Doughty Academy.

---

Tim Erlandsson is probably one of the best keepers we’ll see at this level for a long time. We only had him for around a month but I was always confident with him inbetween the sticks! 

Just sold him.

Brereton has scored 40 goals in 2 seasons for me (currently in season 3), and a German regen who I signed first season, has just scored his 10th of the season.

Got goals coming from all over though, playing a 3-2-2-1-2 :D

I played him as an AF and he was my best performing forward. he does miss sooo many chances though. 

In FM17 I would always try and buy him (before we did IRL), and he'd out perform Assombalonga.

Now Barrie Mckay is my project. He's just utterly useless for me so far. I've played a couple of saves, one with him as a winger the other as an SS. Is he worth persevering with, as I feel that he should be the best player in the squad?

Generally I think he's been impressive for most other Forest saves, but yeah his conversion rate was pretty poor and Clough was class just off Murphy/Vellios.

McKay has been good for me and I use him off the bench in the Prem, got the best out of him at AMC but he was in/out as I liked Clough in SS.

Versatile so I would persevere with him!

Started first season unemployed to see what developed, and nothing so skipped to the end of the season to find Forest have been relegated! So took the job.

Have let alot of players contracts run down. Luckily not too many have moaned about wanting to leave. Fingers crossed no one come in for Clough and Cummings as i think they'll boss league 1

Will take some pictures of my dealings later, alot of frees! Surprised that i have over 100k in wage budget left though, but considering the board limit that to 10k per player, may be harder to get the better players. Still decent for league 1 though.

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 04:07, robterrace said:

Managed to sign Aden Flint on transfer deadline day to strengthen the back 4, hes playing alongside Worrall, who is going from strength to strength.

Was approached by a Spanish midfielder called Javi Matilla, who is controlling stuff in the middle alongside Bridcutt. :D

How did you sign flint with only a 500k starting budget?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi I want to start a Forest save and having read this (and a bit of personal preference) am to start on Sunday with a 4231 on counter. Just got one question, wtf to do with all the quality up front. Cummings is a beast, Brereton is good as well and that’s not mentioning Vellios among others. Could a 442 work mabye. I have a good one I can fall back on

Jason Cummings leaving for Rangers has made me sad. not for Forest IRL but how it effects FM. He is one of my best players in every Forest save.

After years of suffering as a Forest fan I rank my love of Forest in FM over them IRL. I'm never too brokenhearted when we miss out of promotion or were relegated to League 1 as I know it will make FM (or ChampMan) more of a challenge. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Carninho said:

@Vali184 is that the same Daryl Murphy in your squad?? cant be can it, he must be past it in 2020?

Awesome job :applause:

Thank you!

He is the same one. His contract expired at the end of the season and he retired. I couldn't get rig of him earlier, not even for free or on loan. I just signed Gabriel Jesus and I'm looking for a strong, aggressive midfielder and a central defender. Asensio was transfer listed for 25m but he didn't want to join because we don't match his ambitions. He joined Chelsea instead... but I have some good youngsters so I'll give them play time instead.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've started a new save with the latest transfer update. I was going to blog this and share on twitter but I don't have the time so ill post quick updates on here.

Season 1:

Sky_Bet_Championship_Overview_Stages.png

Sky_Bet_Championship_Overview_Stages_2.p

One of my most entertaining seasons for a very long time, disappointed to have missed out like this but we go again next season.

Transfers:

Nottingham_Forest_Transfer_History.png

Not much movement this year. No budget and no wages free.

Next Season:

The usual goal at Forest, remove deadwood and bleed youth into the 1st team. And promotion.

Archived