[FM18] Wick Face to Face with the Manager who Sold the Weans

Wavelberry

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted that several hours ago just so I could go.

tumblr_nvjddtFuki1tt3wuco3_400.gif

Here it is then. Another Wick Academy save. Last year's was abortive due to a wacky board but I am hopeful this year's will be of the quality of my FM16 version which can be found here

And given that my intro in that thread is pretty thorough about Wick the place etc and the general conceit of the save I won't be going into it here.

This save is utilising Scottish Lower League guru and all round good egg @Morrissey's database with just one change. I have added an U20 side to Wick as the first team is thin as and given I want it to be a youth challenge and to last more than one season it only seemed fair.

I will be attempting some live streams on my Youtube channel this season as well so if you wanted to hear what a bloke from Essex getting really annoyed at Football Manager sounds like you are in for a treat.

Let's meet the manager then shall we?

So two year's ago I attempted to take Wick to glory with youth only and I managed to get them into the League only for me to be attacked by a goalkeeper fall into a coma and then wake up go mad and move to Sweden. What you don't know is that during my coma a shadowy organisation created a doppleganger for me. A phantom. A second me. And now thanks to story-telling contrivance and ret-conning stuff that makes no sense I bring you: Venom Wavelberry

b0257814b58d92dc95ddad22f3f46d94.png

As is sensible I have chosen the previous experience and coaching badge to suit the level I am at

39589551ccb4329e5cff3db8cfa0298b.png

What that has allowed me to do is take up ma fitness coaching and working with youngsters to 20 and 18 respectively.

I love how the character thing has modeled the eye-patch.

8e418f1fdb83ef1520e6f38b78fd52e5.png

My aim then is to take Wick to Hampden. That is the first aim. I won't be signing anybody and will be just using the youngsters who came through the club.  One thing I am gutted about is that Big Gaz Weir is no more. However as long as I find someone to be my Kieran Forbes for this save then I won't mind so much. Just give me a filthy DM who collects cards. It's all I ask. 

Philosophy talks are done. We're working to youth but how does the team look?

9e676ac48067d24cf1bc4a099db86fd9.png

Lot of gaps especially at RB with only one player decent enough to play there it looks like Aaron Mooney who was in the U20s and has decent Determination may get an early chance along with Danny Gormley to break into the first team. Left sided we are pretty strong though so attacks down the left look like the way forward. It's not a very determined squad which worries me but I guess I'll have to have all the determination for them. 

Tactical ideas are currently a 4-1-4-1 counter attacking team, a 4-1-2-3 winger attack team and a 3-1-4-2 DM coz I do want a 3 defender set up in case I lose my RBs.

Friendlies are arranged, the staff have been overhauled (we have the best staff in the league now) and now we just have to march towards the season.

Wick Academy 2017 Pre-Season Update

Oh it's nice to be back in familiar surroundings and I have slipped comfortably back into the Harmsworth dugout. Grant Steven still seems as useless as he was two years ago, Sam Mackay is already getting back to his box-to-box 7+ per game and Big Gaz is... oh yeah... he's not here but I reckon it won't be as big a blow as I first thought. Anyways, let's see how pre-season went shall we?

952756f299c76aeb93681f7973708d5e.png

A lot of greens pre-season but that's to be expected given the level of opposition. We did play some pleasing attacking football against John O'Groats and Halkirk and the 0-0 draw was when I basically had no midfield or strikers after an injury crisis after the first game. I'm seeing the type of football I want in places though but it could all be different come the first game of the season. Still, it's decent for morale.

ccefe503b36704a512e1cde28a3d5caa.png9088b9a96e15c657d6912d134b3c6f81.png

Playing two key tactics. The left hand one is the let's go get 'em tactic while the right hand one is the more circumspect counter one for away games and when we start being ****. Young Gormley has quickly made himself indispensable already and is doing everything I want. Let's hope he keeps it up in the games that matter. Other than that Mackay, Macads and Davie Allan will be key players for us.

0bd4178c25c2fafacc386bd455f08327.png

This lad got a lot of pre-season and did pretty well but he is indicitive of the quality of CM behind the big four. I'm hopeful he could make the step up along with

62a15422765bf08d730a7b9edfd7a0e7.png

He's had a decent pre-season too and I will be looking to give him a go early on especially in the cups.

f234bffd4c7feb7aeab778de86fa6348.png

Board expectations are pretty reasonable with a top-half finish required of me which is pretty doable I reckon. Not so sure about getting to the third round of the cup though. I'm rubbish at cups.

c2cd88727da3bf01b32e5caf48ac9c18.png

The press expect much more from me putting me among the favourites to be promoted (have you seen real life Wick this year guys?) and predicting a 4th place finish. I'm targetting 6th minimum and feel 4th might be a bit optimistic but we'll see.

844ebd497f59a796c80a58798fd993ae.png

Fort William set for a torid time then but it's more good news for us Wick folk...

82c43a3e99822f74a0aa864461f780b4.png

c88b48a5bedd45da06889926ebb1110c.png

With all this money I might be able to buy a new pen to sign up all the young kids in Wick. Maybe.

30876db0d65527f49cd76fcb026f7526.png

August then kicks off with a derby match away to Brora which is pretty much the worst fixture you could ask for. Three home games follow to bed in though including a chance for some early debuts against Rothes in the North of Scotland cup but the last fixture sees us go to another 'title rival' in Formartine. A tough old start to life back at Harmsworth but I'm ready for vengeance. Let's do this.

As an aside I may try and stream the first month later this afternoon. Have tested my Youtube streaming and it seems to work so if you want to see/hear me have a breakdown as Brora take us apart, two home draws (and elimination through pelanties in the cup) followed by a win and then another defeat away at Formartine then keep an eye out.

If it works the way I want I'll make the video available to watch after as well.

If it works. It might not.

3 minutes ago, Wavelberry said:

It kinda was. Everytime I try to use Twitch it kicks me out coz of my VPN. Quite annoying tbh and the Youtube stream is as easy.

is it easy to setup within the game like Twitch is?

Wick Academy: August 2017 Update

Back on the horse then. Let's do this.

bd01f3ac9934726b1c31bd17bf8899b2.png

A decent start in the league that then went down the pan thanks to my new nemesisiss... rivals Keith. 

We played well in the Brora game and it was looking tight until they were awarded a pelanty for a shove in the 2nd half. Suddenly we looked like we were going to get nothing out of the game so we threw everyone forward and super sub Davie Allan drilled a beauty in the 94th minute to earn us a deserved point. We rode that high against Fraserburgh with a cracking second half attacking performance as Ross joined his brother on the scoring charts and overtook him with a hattrick. All was looking rosey and then the wheels came off.

First of all we played like absolute arses against Keith and their striker Cammy Keith (whom I hate) and despite the 88th minute consolation deserved nowt. Then we conceded early against Formartine and despite another late rally couldn't make anything happen. A disappointing end to the month and already the Steven brothers are back to their old inconsistent tricks at the back. Thanks guys,

418f54d72b04c7584b9ff1fa5b08201e.png 

The North of Scotland cup was a delight however as we progressed all the way to the semis already/ Rothes were dispatched with relative ease by a young side that included 5 debutantes from the U20s and a few of those youngsters continued for the revenge game against Keith. All looked doomed as Cammy ****ing Keith scored again and we went 2-0 down but Farquhar and MacGregor got us back into it. Despite having the best of extra-time we couldn't force a winner so it went to a massive pelanty shoot out which we won and Cammy Keith missed his pelanty. Oh how I laughed.

cf6d6799f3ca4cf55e0b381871f729a5.png

Not a great start to the league then and already Buckie are well away but it is early doors yet and I'm expecting us to pick up. Aim is still top 6 at this stage.

25b9cbbfa33f11f9a6f0110bb4ee42b4.png

Those two away games should be wins and we have to take on Forres twice at home in league and cup. Huntly have started very well so will prove a tough end to the month. I would just like some consistency from the defense. That would be nice.

For those of you interested in seeing it all happen here is the stream from this afternoon.

Warning, it includes irrational hatred of everyone and everything.

September 2017 Update

Lots going on in September along with the Scottish Cup popping up. 

0baf1b313d7b90b5b82f670f1f5316d7.png

First let's start in the league and what a stupid month it was. We were 1-0 down at half-time against Inverurie and then switched to 3-5-2 and battered them to go 3-1 up before 93rd minute consolation for them. We then took the 3-5-2 into the Forres game and were 2-0 down at half-time. We switched to a 4-1-2-3 attacking and got to 2-2 before a goal a didn't even get a highlight for put Forres 3-2 up with 10 to go and then we hit the post 3 times. Finally we were 1-0 down to winless Lossiemouth and saw David Allan miss a 75th minute pelanty just so he could get a more dramatic equaliser 3 minutes from time. This Wick side doesn't do logic. 

5875381b332767eea81f910c9033b455.png

In and around all this we drew Lowland league Spartans in the cup and got a well deserved draw at home before stinking it up in the away leg. Allan hitting a pointless consolation goal. Out of the cup then. What a surprise.

aff840562b3fbfd179adf09febf792ef.png

And then out of nowhere in between all of that we battered Forres in the North of Scotland cup with the own goal youngster playing in defence. Can you make sense of this team because I ****ing can't. Anyway we'll take on Buckie Thistle in the final...

096a386cc486c7d7d70db4096f29057d.png

Oh ****. They're only pretty much unstoppable at the moment. Ach well. We're not out of it by any means but it's not been a great start. We can definitely beat up the best but we've also given Lossiemouth their only point so go figure.

88b8fa1c0af97e03612e26e30878ab0e.png

The delayed league games aainst Huntly and Deveronvale look important especially as we have to take on the league leaders away twice before the end of the month. Watch us lose the league game 4-1 and then win the cup final 5-0. In between drawing with Fort William...

October 2017 Update

Another ridiculous month in this ridiculous league then. 

7227648f54e185930de147f8f0463596.png

Well it hasn't been boring. We took Huntly to the cleaners which was fun but I was far more impressed by the Deveronvale performance as they are a decent side and we actually kept a clean sheet. As impressed as I was against Deveronvale we were absolutely shank against the league leaders. I honestly can't remember why as I was four or five cans in by that point but I imagine I tweaked too much and then rage quit just after (I did save it first though). Then we came to the Fort William game which we went 1-0 up in and then disintegrated to go 2-1 down. Allan equalised and then in the 93rd minute my sweet young DM Danny Gormley scored a winner to give us a brilliant 3-2 win. I then tried to get the clip for youtube and suffered a crash dump so went holidayed though the game and won 4-2 this time which I'll take. I wish we could defend though.

b351139b8c64d11de4e842d1951a2aac.png

Buckie have won the ttle already but the battle for the best of the rest looks fun. Obviously top four gives you (I think) Irn Bru Cup and Betfred Cup football next season so that would be cool but we're climbing the league. I guess I'm going to have to accept this team can't defend until I get some defenders though and just go out to entertain. It upsets me though as I like a good defence just like I enjoy bowling dry in cricket. Ach well. Up the league we go anyways...

463c08fdee34cbb76e133bec37ba485b.png

November then and the fixture that looms largest is the Cup Final against Buckie. Can we avenge the hammering we took? We then have another run of winnable games. I imagine we'll lose them all.

Anyroad we'll find out together. Probably going to stream this month and the cup final from about 5.30 this evening so if you want to hear my incandescent raging against all my defenders then I'll see you there.

November 2017 Update

We may have lost the cup but we've found an identity as a team that can't defend but can score and will entertain you (unless, like me, you enjoy defensively capable football in which case join me in hating these defenders). Could we continue outscoring the opposition?

2e43c7740ff7f64de2de94ecc94bfdc2.png

Goals, goals and more goals. No clean sheets though (although we were two minutes away from one against Strathspey). Davie Allan is continuing to dominate the scoring charts and Steven Anderson is starting to chip in now as well. The Cove game was particularly good as we were 3-1 down at half-time in that one and my rocket managed to get us the point. That and Marc MacGregor. Shame he and Davie couldn't do that scoring in the cup final. Ach well. It's not going too badly.

2f49f86f87afa0da3fa4220b2ca21517.png

We have moved into fifth but the lague is pretty tight with just two results separating 3rd and 9th. We're pretty much where we should be though it's just a shame we've got the worst defense outside the bottom three. As long as Davie and co keep knocking the goals in I won't complain but I'll be worried if the goals start to dry up or Davie gets injured. At the top Buckie have had a bit of a poor month and their lead is only two points now over Brora. Looks like we do have a title race after all.

9591d3e946d1bdbd98def0c9cb19e8bc.png

Our good form has got me my first mention in dispatches for MotM. Stinky Tokely got it though. Damn him.

216e8d3a14dab39f750d6af383761183.png

December is a tough month as we play four of the top 6. Two big derby matches with title chasing Brora at home and then another trip to my arch-nemesisissis Keith and Cammy Keith. If we get out of this month with anything over 7 points I think we'll be doing okay. We're on course though and we're not boring so WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME?

In squad news pretty much everyone has agreed contract extensions aside from Macadie who is in a paddy about not having enough first team football and Grant Steven. Grant demanded games and I've given them to him and he's averaging 6.3 in the four games he's played and has been hauled off in every match. If I get some defenders in the intake I'm not even gonna cry about it and send him on his way.

December 2017 Update

December: A Brora derby, a tough run of fixtures and Cammy ****ing Keith's Keith. How are those wheels looking?

14c5b2abf8f3fe720535e5db570a64fa.png

****ing Cammy Keith man. I hate him. The form before the Keith game was fine though with two more wins and then a hair-pulling 3-3 draw against Brora where we were 2-0 up then 3-2 down. I wish we'd learn how to defend, or that any of the defenders at the club knew what their job entailed. Cammy scored Keith's winner and then Marc MacGregor missed a last minute pelanty to condemn us to defeat against Formartine despite young LW Steven McGowan getting his first ever goal for the club. JUST LEARN TO DEFEND BOYS FOR THE LOVE OF...

c66bb017e9d8e54844d80025b66f26b4.png

Still 5th but there was a possible chance of being in what is now a title race and a half with just two points separating the top 3. We got the 7 points and to be fair this was probably our toughest run of fixtures. Need Davie Allan to get back to scoring ways though as he's not scored this month at all.

ad44e7ee4eca0f0b04961838c1565117.png

Two games against the chasing pack and a chance to gift Lossiemouth more points. Ideally I'd want ten points but this could be the start of a wobble so 8 is fine,

70d0ac838bf45155cd4f7acd7f5fd757.png

Suddenly I am hot property though with bottom of League 2 Edinburgh City sniffing around. No chance boys. WICK4LYF

a15446b9f4c9b44bf84985e582015a9e.png

I am not the biggest managerial news though as digital Brendan has done the impossible and made Celtic not just **** but mega super ****. Would love to see Craig Levein get the gig for the lolz.

January 2018 Update

I wish I had a clown car rather than the ***** centre-backs I've been cursed with. I really do.

2f42954bca371d46d4d3ae72d1f6973f.png

Saying that our main problem has been goals for this month which included our first shout-out as we stank the place out against Forres. Inexplicably Davie Allan missed a second pelanty in as many games the week before as we lost to Inverurie so he got dropped after Forres. Luckily Steven Anderson is still knocking them in and his goal was enough to beat Lossiemouth (who must be awful if they can't score against us). Clachnacuddin took the lead in the last game of the month but Anderson and then Davie off the bench proved to be the winning combination and so we're just about back on track after the four defeats in a row. The squad is doing as well is it can.

a1afb60e85615fcbf89753735725b23d.png

Still 5th with a 6 point gap to Huntly who are all snug by themselves in 4th and find 6 points between them and the title race which is still evenly poised. Lossiemouth and Strathspey are pretty adrift but a round of applause for Fort William who might be dreaming of 13th place which would be a heck of an achievement for them.

741cd2871970d3475c4c7ebe89bb6495.png

3 league games this month and they are all away. We start at Deveronvale Home of the Draws (5 in a row) before a double-header against Huntly in league and cup (i hate when that happens and it always seems to fricking happen). The month ends with a trip to Turriff who aren't far behind so a tough month and one that will decide whether we're going to be comfortably top 6 or battling to the last. The main thing I'm hoping for in February is some CBs in the youth intake.

February 2018 Update

What a load of ****ing *****.

44e5111814aea92e868a4c5aa7ba8fbc.png

Dropped a win against Deveronvale, dropped a draw against Huntly, didn't care about the Highland Cup and were balls against Turriff. Not sure how we went on that run of form tbqh and now the strikers (well mostly Davie Allan) can't score the defensive frailties are just too obvious. Tactical retweak needed in the Summer and WHERE ARE MY YOUT?

b11bba8eff89ed55aa01f13bad8517fc.png

Down we go although it's still pretty tight up to fifth spot. With 18 more points on off I'd like to get to 50 points at least. A steady place from which to build. Huntly's form has taken them towards the title race but Formartine have a vital lead now. Brora look to have blown it. Shame.

c3d7f3714446ac0afbd9709ffd13ca96.png

Great time to be taking on Buckie then but hopefully three home games should see us right and back on track and maybe I'll get some youth players in. Roll on the end of the season.

2018 Youth Intake

Happy youth day y'all. Let's see what we've got then...

b1771c1d31d5c623f8e3adeb73cb26d7.png

Mmm some of the determination looks tasty as. Only the one real defender though which is a sad..

b334f5e7ff91a6aa03b604d4593dd0b9.png

Nairn was MotM in this game here which is interesting as I'm thinking of him as another possible DM.

cb9300556477769c4a2dbb4c6b202f43.png

McIntyre looks like he might be a little bit exciting. He'll get a go before the end of the campaign.

943102a3126f6e59fe121d7a668ee94b.png

As will Sutherland. In fact he might even get a gig after the Buckie game as Grant Steven is now throwing mega wobblers.

Reckon all three will play before the end of March and maybe some of the others too. It's a start.

March 2018 Update

Things have got a bit rubbish down Wick way. We need some battling spirit. And some defenders. And some strikers. And some...

da4edef0ceada8760c7190550de7e839.png

Oh ****. That's not good.

c0e92307c4b41089b4e990779c4653f5.png

Got that just before the Strathspey game so am glad we won that. We were battered by Buckie and deserved the loss, played well against Fort William (and conceded a goal when a minute from a clean sheet naturally) and played really well against Cove but when the game is against you it's against you and we fell apart in five second half minutes. We have a tendency to concede at bad times and then concede a few when we do and it happened again after going 3-0 up against Strathspey. I'd really love to be able to stop it from happening but have no idea how. Answers on a postcard please.

Good things are that the three boys mentioned in the previous post have all debuted. No goals or clean sheets yet but some decent performances.

726cbab8005d37d3ff1bb893fe3c49e0.png

The reason for press speculation is probably because of how close the table is as we were down in 12th before the Strathspey game. We have just snuck into the top half and could still finish 6th but we could also finish 12th so depending on some coding it could be dicey. At the top Brora are probably out of it and Buckie need a slip up from Formartine and a flawless 2 from 2 to get the title.

6a9c449330bf0abf1a4ff30ceeaf7a64.png

Our two are Rothes and Nairn. Both teams who are well below us and out of form so a 100% April is a possibility and I might need it to save my job.

April 2018 Update

Right, let's get this season over with shall we?

22fd8fbd65dda9aefdedadc0af19c59c.png

A distinctly underwhelming end to the season then as we couldn't score much or keep a clean sheet. Took the lead in both games and blew it in both games. Sums up the season really. Well chuffed to see James McIntyre get his maiden goal though and he played very well in that game too.

026f63535e9180ae076c750c66a4a1b8.png

8th place then and 50 points which was the target I had set with 6 games to go. It should (hopefully) be enough to keep me in the job and we'll go again next season. Formartine see out the title by 5 points and bastard Keith finish above us. Be interesting to see if Formartine can get up.

Anyway first season done. Need to sort that defence out over close season.

Wick Academy 2017/18 Season Review

37343cf14d2b5e52fcf5017ceed59f3c.png

The North of Scotland Cup final and the run afterwards seems a long time ago now in a very average season. Bit sad that our best result was the second game of the season and can't really disagree with the Buckie hammering. Seems I am the King of Rotation though with 28 players used. Sums up the season I guess.

0d310aa36799ecdbf0af84a28d76acf4.png

That probably would be the TotY as it goes. Danny Gormley was good. I do love him. Keeping up the theme of the season started high and just couldn't live up to it was Davie Allan's goal against Brora which was a screamer and probably deserved GotY. Gormley's winner against Fort William in the famous crash dump game would've got it if it had survived but it didn't so Davie Allan achieves.

8659ca4b8be3e5aaae82eefad41e1d5d.png

These were our vital statistics for the year. Gormley isn't yet up to Kieran Forbes levels yet but 9 yellows and a red isn't a bad first seaso. Davie Allan scored 20 goals this season and amazingly he only score 4 of them after November. Pretty much when we started to be ****. Farqs was the man and shows why he got PotY.

d99c5f4ce691a6788522b9c74a8b6409.png

Even though I played attacking tactics and wasn't concentrating on pass or possession we topped both those charts. Maybe I should make us a passing/possession team again.

3f37fcaba98f953db8fe424c092c3696.png

My team leaders and Highly Influentials are no surprise. Am hoping Gormley will start to climb the ladder especially with his determination being much better than everyone else. I'm guessing having such undetermined fools is why the team can't keep a lead or stand up to any kind of pressure.

56d0447111be46e49f28e34f564d1bb6.png

Gormely benefited from being the only DM and played the most games. I need to try and balance the midfield influences and carry a decent attacking threat too. MacGregor might be more key next season if Allans can't step it back up. (McIntyre is pissed coz I said 'good goal').

a743f66200c9334c82749866dd53ec52.png

I'm not in danger by the looks of this but have yet to be offered a new contract. It's been a bit of an average year guys but I have great hopes for next season. We can break the top six... If I can just find a way to negate streaky strikers and bad defenders. Should be easy.

185e64c585274f2daf709c6524d0c5f2.png

Ha ha. That's me Eilidh and I don't sit next to you, you sit next to my dugout.

922921bf7e4c317de178055876a5c2f0.png

And in even better news no tax bill and the chairman has been wheeling and dealing again...

d182f3a1c9633ce27978b3be7d3f9579.png

Look at that. Two sponsorship deals that are the same as before but somehow we get £500 more. Some creative accounting there I think...

Around Scotland 2017/18

881b3ce80c9c1fc5d4e4c07af21d2af8.png

East Kilbride won the Lowland league by 1 goal. ONE GOAL. You'd be a bit gutted if you were Edusport. Would've loved to have seen a play-off for the play-off but instead East Kilbride faced just the on play-off against Formartine. Would Football Manager 2018 prove to be different to it's predecessor of two years ago and see the Highland League team beat the Lowland League team in the playoff?

8123d1026c42fff9e2f21d37635ecee2.png

Errrr No. What a disappointing way to go out. Shame on you Formartine. So East Kilbride have another shot at the big time and it is against Edinburgh City who were sniffing around me back when Davie Allan could score goals. Would the Capital City side lose out to the Lanarkshire side?

d6c1b4d6661cf0668382fa2357ece776.png

Yep, on pelanties. Three years after their glorious success Edinburgh return to whence they came while East Kilbride step up to allow someone else a go at winning the Lowland league.

dd0502d6f62932561df6fd6f294e34e6.png

Edinburgh had finished 12 points adrift in the end meanwhile at the top end of the table Montrose claimed the title and Peterhead managed to get an instant return through the play-offs to League One.

836262c1872afb0f7df1b6b6284403e9.png

In League One Queens Park and Albion Rovers swap places with Montrose and Peterhead and given that they finished with the same amount of points it's fair they both drop. As bad as Queens Park and Albion Rovers were is as good as Ayr and Raith proved to be with the title race coming down to just two points. Ayr claimed the title and promotion but Raith were not going to be denied and won their play-off to get a pretty deserved promotion. Big changes to League One next season then.

d40ad087b64c257058876d42b89402aa.png

Brechin and Dumbarton are the two teams to drop out of the Championship as this division suffers big changes too. Queen of the South surprised everyone to storm to the title and a Premier League spot for next year and St Mirren managed to battle through the play-offs to return to the top flight alongside them. Dunfermline will fuming.

e1567df92d36dccc875a9520b426b01f.png

But we save the craziest for last. That's right, your eyes do not deceive you. Aberdeen are champions for the first time in 33 years. Derek McInnes finally grabbing the biggest prize and breaking the Glasgow domination of Scotland's top league. The other stories are that Rangers threw away an eleven point lead over Celtic when Brendan got fired in November and a seven point lead over Aberdeen. The mood in Govan wouldn't have been improved by losing the Scottish Cup Final on pelanties to Aberdeen allowing the The Dons to secure a double. Hearts came in behind the Glasgow pair in order to qualify to be knocked out of the Europa League in June by a side from Moldova. 

At the other end Kilmarnock and Motherwell drop out with Hamilton surviving over their Lanarkshire rivals by just a point. The writing on the wall is clear here. We're not in the real world anymore. All hail our new Red Masters...

Youth Prospect Update: Summer 2018

As per last time out I will do an update on any youth prospect who plays for me until they retire, die or retire and die or die and retire or all three. Having said that I imagine most of these Year 0 boys aren't long for this save... Anyways...

2017 Intake

Lewis Ross (YP 0.1): A tempting looking goalkeeper who got a sub appearance in the North of Scotland cup and that was it. He's unlucky in that Danny McCarthy is very good and only three years his senior and the young 'keeper who came through in the 2018 intake looks better. Don't think he'll have much scope to perform unless he instigates an injury crisis.

Eddie Wilson (YP 0.2): Started seven games and made three other sub appearances which isn't too bad. Performed well in both cups but its pretty hard to come in and excel in this defence. Given that Grant Steven is about to be unceremoniously dumped from the club he'll still be battling for first choice back up and definitely has a chance to improve and impress next season.

Aaron Mooney (YP 0.3):  Started the same amount of games as Eddie above but made ten more sub appearances than his CB counterpart mostly due to his versatility. Second choice RB means he'll play if Macrae gets injured but the LB spot might be a better bet for him as Danny Mackay was pretty unspectacular and Gary Manson isn't getting any younger. A possible chance for a breakout next season after a solid if not amazing first season.

Fraser Connolly (YP 0.4): One North of Scotland cup game when Danny Mackay was injured and it wasn't great. Doesn't look like he has much chance of success here and I'll be surprised if he's still on this list next season.

Danny Gormley (YP 0.5): Ah Danny Gormley. The easiest ways to get games for me is be a young DM who can kick people and games is what he got playing all but three of our league games (due to suspension, obvs). He' not at Kieran Forbes level yet but the chance and the opportunity is there as there isn't anyone else who can play there and I need one as the defence need all the help they can get. Pure success this season.

Cameron Golabek (YP 0.6): Broke into the team during the pre-season of midfield injuries but had the misfortune of being behind three top CMs who were rotating in a two man midfield so only four starts this season.. If the planned tactical change of a midfield diamond next year comes off then he may get more chances but he's not out of it just yet. Is 2nd choice back-up in a three man midfield and 3rd choice in a two man.

Robbie Munro (YP 0.7): One cup start and six sub appearances and they weren't great. Had his chance and will probably not trouble the scorers again.

Steve McGowan (YP 0.8): Just the five sub appearances for Steve but he is 3rd choice LW. Did nab a goal in his short time on the field so there is some potential there. Might find it tough to make the most of his short times on the pitch though and not convinced he's worth the investment given the fact the two boys ahead of him are only 25 and 19 and much better.

Sandy Campbell (YP 0.9): Two starts early on and a few sub appearances but Sandy never really took his chances despite there being a need and opportunity for a decent RW. Just the one assist and a tendency to score goals only to be ruled out for offside (three I counted) is an underwhelming return. Might try and give him a loan next season so he can get a run and try and develop.

Dave Hay (YP 0.10)Possibilities definitely but didn't take the admittedly limited chances he had by not really shining in his two starts. Not really doing much for the U20s either. A probably not.

Grant Duncanson (YP 0.11): Same as Dave but different. Feel like he as more to offer and has at least scored ten goals for the U20s this season. Fourth choice striker for the new season but might get a chance if we go two up front.

2018 Intake

Mark Sutherland (YP 1.1)Got three starts at the back end of the season and in a backline shorn of any quality or ability to stop goals didn't look out of his depth and I don't know if that's damning with faint praise. Will be first choice backup CB for next season and definitely has a chance and the tools to become a first team regular next season.

Willie Nairn (YP 1.2): Two sub appearances late in the season and like Cameron Golabek is unlucky to be behind Mackay, Farqs and Macadie. However those set-piece ratings are begging to be utilised and he will be first choice backup if we go to the narrow 4-1-3-2 so definite opportunities for Willie next year.

James McIntyre (YP 1.3): Got a run of games at the end of the season and capped them with a goal in the last fixture of the year. Promising stuff and will have a chance to battle it out especially if Davie Allan decides not to score after November again.

Archived