Sports Interactive Community
jasonb82

Wolverhampton Wanderers FM18 tactics

I have just started a new game with them. Haven't played any matched yet but looking to go with something like this to begin with and adapt from there.

EDIT: The second CM role for Saiss is a BWM in Defend.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 13.36.24.png

Edited by Pebder88

4 hours ago, HullCity1904 said:

Great article.

Absolutely! I'm inspired to fire up a Wolves save right now.

I did so towards the end of FM17 and enjoyed it a lot - won promotion in second place to Newcastle, but - was it ever thus? - the board lacked my ambition and I didn't follow through in the Premiership. But that's a great piece of tactical analysis and feels like a 'how-to' guide to Wolves management.

54 minutes ago, warlock said:

Absolutely! I'm inspired to fire up a Wolves save right now.

I did so towards the end of FM17 and enjoyed it a lot - won promotion in second place to Newcastle, but - was it ever thus? - the board lacked my ambition and I didn't follow through in the Premiership. But that's a great piece of tactical analysis and feels like a 'how-to' guide to Wolves management.

I think I'm going to have to start a Wovles save also, that article was something else! So many options buzzing through my head already,, should be fun  :D 

This is the formation I have been using, am now in the 3rd season, I won the championship in the 1st and finished 11th in the prem in the 2nd season. Have used this formation the whole way through and it works quite well, did have the mentality as Counter during the 1st season in the prem but now switch between control and counter depending who I'm against. Don't like 3 at the back formations so couldn't bring myself to use a similar formation to the one Wolves use IRL.

wolves.thumb.jpg.9b81dd4c1bf9acc907103d13a2d15c44.jpg

On 12.11.2017. at 15:46, mernild said:

I tried to recreate their real life tactic as good as I could, and won everything.

If you would like to do the same, this article is fantastic: https://musingsfrommolineux.wordpress.com/2017/11/09/talking-tactics-nunos-noggin/

Can you pls take a screenshot of the tactic so i can compare it to mine and see if i would like to add something

On 12-11-2017 at 15:46, mernild said:

I tried to recreate their real life tactic as good as I could, and won everything.

If you would like to do the same, this article is fantastic: https://musingsfrommolineux.wordpress.com/2017/11/09/talking-tactics-nunos-noggin/

Superb article!! Thanks a lot!! It's almost exactly the football I'm aiming for! I'm curous to know what your tactical decisions have been!

On 13-11-2017 at 14:37, Pebder88 said:

I have just started a new game with them. Haven't played any matched yet but looking to go with something like this to begin with and adapt from there.

EDIT: The second CM role for Saiss is a BWM in Defend.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 13.36.24.png

And how is this working out for you? Cause I had something similar in mind after the reading the article above! I'm just not sure about the TI's ..so I would love some feedback!

It has been inconsistent so far and is still a work in progress. I found that I was getting exposed on the counter attack out wide and through the middle so I changed the two CD stoppers back to CD-D and the Wing backs to support and removed the offside trap TI.

Ive also changed the mentality to control and added retain possession to the TIs. In attack we were getting too bunched up in the middle so I have the TI set to play narrower to give a little more width than before but still allow the space for the WBs to get forward into.

Played 10 won 5 drawn 5 in the league so far sitting 2nd behind a rampant Norwich who are 5 points clear of me. We’ve won three in a row for the first time so hopefully it’s a sign of better consistency. 

The next challenge is that it is creating a lot of chances but we are wasteful. I am also undecided as to whether the BWM is more effective in a support or defensive mentality. 

Just thought I would come back with a little update.

Stayed undefeated in the league until January when eventually we succumbed to a struggling Barnsley and Ipswich who were 7th. Until that point our only loss had come in the 4th round of the Carabao Cup to Brentford which was disappointing. Still top of the league by 16 points at the beginning of Feb is not to be sniffed at.

Made two signings in the January window, Hassan coming in for £5.5m from Braga to provide some competition for Bonatini up top; and Trent Alexander-Arnold on loan from Liverpool for the rest of the season at WB.

Pretty happy with how the tactic is playing at the moment but would like to see more shots on target converted to goals more regularly. 

I've been playing with Wolves, trying to recreate their real life tactics with Nuno as manager. So far having inmense success with it, and the play style, well, I'd say it's pretty close to real life.

As I play the game in portuguese a screenshot would be basically pointless, so, here is how I set it up:

GK (d)

CD (st) CD (d) CD (st)

WB (s) WB (s)

CM (d) DLP (s)

IF (s) IF (s)

F9 (s)

TI:

Standard-Flexible

Pass to space

Press more

Higher defensive line

Get stuck in

Thight marking

Prevent short GK distribution

PI:

Both WB - stay wider

Left IF (Diogo Jota) - sit narrower, roam from position

Right IF (Cavaleiro/Costa) - sit narrower, roam from position, get further forward (to replicate the heat maps where is more advanced than the rest)

F9 (Bonatini) - roam from position

If you wanna try and give me some feedback, I would appreciate it. Hope this would help out someone...

Edited by davidbarros2

I think a simple variation of the 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 would be perfect for them. 100% put Ruben Neves on the Deep Lying Playmaker (defend) role - that guy is amazing on FM.