Sports Interactive Community
Jogo Bonito

FM18: The English Football League Thread - EFL in FM18

23 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

WINTER UPDATE:

So when I last updated you I left you with the news that we were sitting in 3rd, having only suffered a couple of league defeats.

Fast forward to the end of January and a slight injury crisis coupled with a drop in form, sees us sitting in 6th having now suffered 7 losses. 

image.thumb.png.eed0c3631995ac70e6d59bab81cfeb7b.png

The loss of my main golascorers Fletcher and Wallace to long term injuries really did hurt us. We went 8 games without a win, although I wasn't too displeased with draws against Ipswich and Wolves as both were above us.

Thankfully on the turn of the year I managed to turn it around for a few games. Like I said we currently sit in 6th:

image.thumb.png.350cc558995b13e87cfdc2385a47f993.png

3 points separating 5th and 8th, with us up against Birmingham in the next game, the race for the play offs is going to be tight, especially when you throw in those 1 or 2 teams who always have a late surge up from mid table.

I had to do something about my squad. It was a little unbalanced with quite a few players requesting more game time. The squad is an old squad, may be even the highest average age in the league. Loovens and Lee were shipped out as they weren't regulars and didn't have time on their side. I was given a £0 budget so had about £2m to play with from the board after I sold them 2 along with the moaner Joao who was sadly just so inconsistent.

image.thumb.png.082134e889c42a3644246fd752a9e99d.png

I've brought in Venancio on a permanent deal as he has been excellent so far and with the final agreement being near £3m, I snapped him up for £1m in January instead. Youngster Jack Stobbs bagged 11 assists and 2 goals on loan at Aldershot, so with wallace out and me wanting to invest in youth, I recalled him. Young CB Querios has been brought in loan from Koln as 4th choice CB cover for the departing Loovens and Lys Mouset has been brought in charged with finding the goals that Rhodes and Hooper just aren't getting in Fletchers absence.

The squad are still not on board with me and with them upset about the sale of Lee, it's a tough battle getting an average and ageing squad to stay in those play off positions, but i'm loving every minute of it.

Up the Owls.

Great update mate. Sorry to see your form has dropped, that's not many league wins for some time. Hopefully you can turn it around soon, a top six finish would be a great achievement I think. Given what you inherited, it wouldn't be a disaster to give yourself another season if you need to though. Wednesday do seem to have a lot of experienced players, some who will have seen better days, so it's not a bad thing to ship some out and give some youngsters a chance. It's a shame that Lee wasn't a key player and even more that Joao didn't deliver, as an outsider you would think that him, Hooper and Forestieri should have given good attacking options. Perhaps if you're looking at youth, young George Hirst (son of Wednesday legend David) might also get some minutes?

@Nottingham Forest I think there is a Conference thread so would suggest putting it in there. It should encourage others that it is possible to get a team from that level in to the Championship, so well done to you on that.

Some good stories in here. I have been playing with touch most of the season until I started having issues so I have purchased the full version and decided to give it a go with my Villa.

Anything but promotion is a failure for me here. I have had a couple of mess around saves with various sides and found it really hard to find a tactic on the full version so I could make a real hash on this. Will give you an update once the transfer window closes.

2 hours ago, avillafan.com said:

found it really hard to find a tactic

Most sensible tactics will work. I've had great success with 442, 4411, 433 wide (with a flat midfield), 433 wide (with a withdrawn DM), a 433 wide with three DMs, and a 343 wide with two DMs. Oh, and Cleon's 4231 from the thread in the tactics forum is brilliant as long as you adapt it a bit for your squad. If you prefer to go without wingers, Rashidi's 4132 has also worked wonders for me - search in the tactics forum for 'curry for 2', or Google the same on his Bustthenet Youtube channel. That last one is probably my favourite but it can be hard to implement in the first season because most teams are loaded with wide players that are hard to shift.

Good luck with your Villa save. Getting them up should be easy; I think keeping them up will be a lot harder!

Welcome @avillafan.com and good luck with Aston Villa.

927ad316ed2ff4a7681e481bf297b1b1.jpg.517d7761be79351b009145217e0d5806.jpg

Fixture & club progress review - January season 1

Fulham are in to the Carabao Cup final after beating Millwall over two legs! The damage was done in the first match at Craven Cottage.

I was also quite pleased that Newcastle won their second leg 3-0 over Liverpool to triumph 4-3 on aggregate.

So we're looking forward to a Wembley final against Newcastle in February. That's amazing.

5ac01a3073f38_Fixtures1.4.thumb.png.f076bebf288b71af1ec50fd95a5fea1d.png

Unfortunately, a fabulous win over Liverpool in Round 3 didn't see us go on a similar run in the FA Cup. 

We lost tamely at home to Hull in Round 4 and made a rather meek exit. Very disappointing.

5ac01a62d8a8f_FulhamvLiverpoolmatchreview.thumb.png.0ab4f34b03cf4712112fe80c183d90bb.png

Meanwhile, just days after my positive chat with Ryan Sessegnon, Man City (amongst others) tried again.

No fee could be high enough to make me consider a sale though. He is the reason I took the Fulham job on.

Luckily, I was still able to convince Ryan to continue his development at Craven Cottage. What a relief.

5ac01b4076596_RyanSessegnonwantedbyManCity.thumb.png.f563358a45a24f6c7d31af88cbc6bc86.png

5ac01b5920bb1_RyanSessegnonchasedbytopclubs.thumb.png.ebf6849d54d0d644e4baa8d37adbb26f.png

5ac01b75aacfc_RyanSessegnonPrivateChat1.2.thumb.png.c577b5f00bd1efadeb132a3130c29305.png

So, things looked quite good again until captain Tom Cairney got injured.

The absence of Odoi wasn't so important. As my fourth choice centre-back, he's only played 45 minutes for me. I'm sure we can cope without him.

However, Ross McCormack has since been ruled out for more than a month. I would have terminated his loan, but have no such clause...

5ac01bf848809_TomCairneyinjured.thumb.png.2103dbc16a0aeefcd49347d8e8dceb6e.png

Transfer window news

I had some good players willing to join the club in the transfer window, Here's a review of what happened...

I'm an admirer of Mohammed Eisa, and snapped up the young Sudanese striker from Cheltenham on 3rd January.

He's one for the future, but hopefully will make the mark. The transfer fee was £400k and we are paying him £2.7k per week.

I finally managed to move Ibrahima Cisse out, with Cardiff eventually paying £650k for a man who only made one substitute appearance for me.

Even better was getting some cash in for Rui Fonte. His loan move did have a mandatory fee built in, but he insisted it became optional.

Removing their wages was very important by this point as the club finances continued to nosedive.

After this, I decided that the an opportunity to sign AC Milan striker Patrick Cutrone on loan was too good to refuse.

To land such a great talent for just £18k per month with no other fees was a very satisfying deal.

5ac01c4302fd9_PatrickCutroneloan.thumb.png.dc42efa485bc073bad38386eb63e1232.png

Which caused me a dilemma on Aleksandar Mitrovic.

His form had been good, but he was costing £30k per month. Also, I didn't want six loan players at the club.

Head ruled heart here, and I reluctantly terminated his deal and sent him back to Newcastle.

5ac01c60118be_AleksandarMitrovic.thumb.png.31d546c95ba69c455a8cd65341e97bdc.png

5ac01c765c9c8_AleksandarMitrovicstats.thumb.png.53af054b1b9f81015885715f5ea46561.png

So then on to my final deal. I toyed with the idea of ending Floyd Ayite's loan spell at Toulouse.

But the head again told me how important the monthly fee was for us.

I had Fousseni Diabate lined up to join on loan from Leicester, for an overall sum of £40k per month.

I really like this guy, but the head won again. Not because of the cost, but I still couldn't allow myself to have six on loan.

I might have sent Kalas or Norwood back to their parent clubs to swerve this issue, but with Cairney and Odoi injured, I just couldn't.

I considered a move for Swansea centre-back Mike van der Hoorn at this point, with the Dutchman made available for £1.2m.

It would have been a permanent deal, but I never got close to funding it. He's now joined FC Groningen and is being paid just £10k per week. 

Instead, I picked up the winger I had been eyeing for a while on a permanent deal.

Ken Sema has turned heads playing for Ostersunds in Sweden, and his ability to play either flank appealed to me.

An initial fee of £750k (rising to £1.25m if add-ons become due) was achieved after juggling the budget when Mitrovic left.

5ac01cc28a69b_KenSemasigns.thumb.png.3445bc3d213ed2af6f585f88647cc69b.png

The final piece of player news for the month came when Borussia Dortmund paid Celtic £24.5m for Moussa Dembele.

Ross McCormack's former striking partner had been great for Fulham, and this small pay-off came in useful too.

5ac01cf3ae933_MoussaDembeletoDortmund.thumb.png.7b51d85c787156ea1294986ac9d45f08.png

So here is the wrap up of the month's activities. Hopefully I won't regret what I have done...

5ac01d3f402fb_Transfers1.2.thumb.png.1a2b98e7f13c152921607b550a7ba053.png

And here is the current situation at the club.

The biggest plus is that no more bids came in for Ryan Sessegnon, and he is still ours.

The biggest concern is the financial position, If I can get through to next season with a positive bank balance I will be delighted.

5ac01a8e87be7_Progress1.4.thumb.png.d78ae23a57a8382aa7df15278169e23e.png

Edited by Jogo Bonito

17 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Great update mate. Sorry to see your form has dropped, that's not many league wins for some time. Hopefully you can turn it around soon, a top six finish would be a great achievement I think. Given what you inherited, it wouldn't be a disaster to give yourself another season if you need to though. Wednesday do seem to have a lot of experienced players, some who will have seen better days, so it's not a bad thing to ship some out and give some youngsters a chance. It's a shame that Lee wasn't a key player and even more that Joao didn't deliver, as an outsider you would think that him, Hooper and Forestieri should have given good attacking options. Perhaps if you're looking at youth, young George Hirst (son of Wednesday legend David) might also get some minutes?

It would be a good achievement with my background and licences, but due to the 1 year contract and owner wanting at least a play off spot, I just can't see me keeping the job if I don't make it.

I've been monitoring Hirst in the youth squad and he will be definitely be given an opportunity before long. I really could do with Wallace and Fletcher coming back to fitness though to boost the options, which really explains a lot about this squad...

Great win against my beloved Liverpool mate and really glad that you've managed to keep hold of Sess again. That gap to Leeds is definitely one you can close. Big call letting Mitro go back although I completely understand with the financial side of it and a more than capable replacement up top.

Ah, I didn't realise the owner expected that. Tough ask then. Hopefully you get close enough to earn a second chance if it doesn't happen this season.

I must admit that without the running, pace, crossing and goals delivered by Sessegnon and Leko, I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am either. I don't think you have that in your squad!

Yes, delighted to keep hold of Sessegnon. I would love to extend that contract but fear going in to talks may open a whole load of trouble for me. I really dithered about Mitro, it was purely financial to replace him with Cutrone, although the fact that he only played half a season for the club this year played a part. It was more realistic not having him for the whole year, I just reversed the part of the season he was there! Sorry about beating Liverpool, I couldn't imagine that was going to happen. 

16 hours ago, warlock said:

Most sensible tactics will work. I've had great success with 442, 4411, 433 wide (with a flat midfield), 433 wide (with a withdrawn DM), a 433 wide with three DMs, and a 343 wide with two DMs. Oh, and Cleon's 4231 from the thread in the tactics forum is brilliant as long as you adapt it a bit for your squad. If you prefer to go without wingers, Rashidi's 4132 has also worked wonders for me - search in the tactics forum for 'curry for 2', or Google the same on his Bustthenet Youtube channel. That last one is probably my favourite but it can be hard to implement in the first season because most teams are loaded with wide players that are hard to shift.

Good luck with your Villa save. Getting them up should be easy; I think keeping them up will be a lot harder!

Thanks. Started with a 4-2-3-1 and just moved to a 4-1-1-3-1 asymmetric away from home.

5 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Ah, I didn't realise the owner expected that. Tough ask then. Hopefully you get close enough to earn a second chance if it doesn't happen this season.

I must admit that without the running, pace, crossing and goals delivered by Sessegnon and Leko, I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am either. I don't think you have that in your squad!

Yes, delighted to keep hold of Sessegnon. I would love to extend that contract but fear going in to talks may open a whole load of trouble for me. I really dithered about Mitro, it was purely financial to replace him with Cutrone, although the fact that he only played half a season for the club this year played a part. It was more realistic not having him for the whole year, I just reversed the part of the season he was there! Sorry about beating Liverpool, I couldn't imagine that was going to happen. 

100% mate, Joe Wildsmith my back up GK and Jack Hunt my RB are my quickest players, with Matias being my only attacking player with 14 acceleration or above. If I some how hold on to my job, pace will be the first area I address in the squad. It's no surprise that the squad has such a lack of pace with the average age being so high.

The squad have just asked for a meeting after our 2-0 home defeat to 7th place Birmingham dropped us down to 8th and out of the play offs. They said that I had lost the dressing room. Thankfully I managed to leave the meeting on a good note by asking them for more time, however, I feel like I don't have very long left :(

23 games down in the Championship with Bristol City.

40 points and sitting a surprising third.

In the Carabao Cup semifinal beating AFC Wimbledon, Newport, Leeds, Arsenal (a stunning 1-4 victory at Emirates) and Middlesbrough. Now we are to face Chelsea in the semis.

Will Grigg has been in excellent form and Famara Diédhiou has really picked up form as well.

The board have given me 1 month to turn things around (from 8th) with Villa home, Derby home, Bristol away (1st), Ipswich home (2nd). I can only hope for a minor miracle still be in a job come the end of march, never mind the end of the season.

UP THE OWLS.

1 hour ago, Mr_Demus said:

23 games down in the Championship with Bristol City.

40 points and sitting a surprising third.

In the Carabao Cup semifinal beating AFC Wimbledon, Newport, Leeds, Arsenal (a stunning 1-4 victory at Emirates) and Middlesbrough. Now we are to face Chelsea in the semis.

Will Grigg has been in excellent form and Famara Diédhiou has really picked up form as well.

That's a great start! I thought my Carabao Cup run was unusual (it is to me) but you've nearly matched it, so maybe I'm not the genius I hoped I was! Keep up the good work.

@smplfc123 That's so harsh. It must be very frustrating because by any sane judge, you're having a good season. Best of luck.

10 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

That's a great start! I thought my Carabao Cup run was unusual (it is to me) but you've nearly matched it, so maybe I'm not the genius I hoped I was! Keep up the good work.

@smplfc123 That's so harsh. It must be very frustrating because by any sane judge, you're having a good season. Best of luck.

I really like the fact, that the big teams actually play their reserves in the Carabao Cup. The last time I played in the higher tiers of England they would roll out their star XI.

Managed a 1-1 draw at home with Chelsea in the first leg, but have hit a small drop in form around new years.

4 hours ago, Mr_Demus said:

I really like the fact, that the big teams actually play their reserves in the Carabao Cup. The last time I played in the higher tiers of England they would roll out their star XI.

Managed a 1-1 draw at home with Chelsea in the first leg, but have hit a small drop in form around new years.

Yes, I guess the big teams do use their squad players a bit more. Perhaps that does play a part in how our sides can go further.

927ad316ed2ff4a7681e481bf297b1b1.jpg.2cd0852eee3e820f05c0a39212c3488f.jpg

Carabao Cup

A totally unexpected run of form saw Fulham lift the Carabao Cup after a narrow win over Newcastle at Wembley.

On route, we had also beaten Forest Green Rovers, QPR, Sheffield United, Tottenham, West Brom, and Millwall (over two legs).

On-loan AC Milan striker Patrick Cutrone was the match winner in the final, coming on at half time to net after 55 minutes.

I think that goal justifies bringing him to the club, and vindicates allowing Mitrovic to go back to Newcastle.   

Winning the trophy only earned us £100,000 - and I must admit I'm very concerned about how we might cope with Europa Cup obligations next year.

5ac20399bbf56_CarabaoCupfinal.thumb.png.45544cc5342e4d13e3466cb78ffef7d6.png

Latest results

We've been decent in the league, with just a couple of away defeats.

Ream and McCormack have been injured, Cutrone has been in good firm despite a few fitness issues, and Sema has looked useful from the bench.

Sessegnon and Leko continue to be our star men, they've both been unbelievable this season.

Ryan got another hat-trick over Mr Demus's Bristol City, and we performed brilliantly to defeat table-toppers Wolves.

Next up is a massive game against Leeds, who sit in 2nd. They've been right behind Wolves for some months now, and we will need to be at our best.

5ac203ad70ac7_Fixtures1.5.thumb.png.d004d2610ef6f90c7c7c10a3a1647d61.png

Club progress

Well, everything looks good here except one thing - club finances. I've tried to be careful, cutting back on wages where I could. It hasn't worked though.

The only way we will have a positive balance again is when the competition bonus arrives. 

Next season (unless we go up) we won't be having any expensive loan men, that's for sure! 

5ac203c77c6a6_Progress1.5.thumb.png.cf9d5f1c6865c6cf5193491b0e46ac9c.png

Edited by Jogo Bonito

@Jogo Bonito Huge congratulations on lifting the Carabao Cup mate, brilliant achievement. Hopefully those finances improve when you gain promotion ;)

UPDATE:

Well after being given a month by the board to turn things around, I wasn't confident of being in my job for long, especially with the fixtures coming up:

image.thumb.png.e123988e820624b0e4accdcc551a9752.png

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that response from the players. Steven Fletcher's return seem to give Hooper the kick up the a**e he's needed all season, scoring 4 in 6. We hammered Villa at home, going 5-1 up at one point. We then took the lead against Derby in the 81st minute, 6 points from 6 looked on the cards. Imagine my horror when we were pegged back instantly and then dealt a sucker blow in the 96th minute to go away with nothing. We then went to top place Bristol City, heads dropped from that late blow. I decided that my time was up as we were bound to lose and that would be me done, so i just went for it and we were excellent, with the returning Forestieri bagging the winner. A respectable 1-1 home draw to 2nd place Ispwich was followed with a 1-0 nervy home win to lowly Bolton. The game that looks to have really given me a chance of saving my job was beating Karanka's Leeds away 2-0 in the Yorkshire derby.

image.thumb.png.98ab0a220ecd2881717405b4f3e3a572.png

I've managed to sneak back in to the play off places and with form now on my side a bit, i'm hoping they'll give me the chance to see the season out and see where it takes it.

Up the Owls.

And just after I've typed that all out:

image.thumb.png.b16d3578772d48ee2f498c0b40ec193a.png

Might even try my luck at asking for them to extend my contract :)

@Jogo Bonito Well done on winning the Carabao Cup, a fantastic achievement for a second tier side. Hopefully you can challenge the top two and sneak in there, otherwise it'll be a battle to win those playoffs, they're a right pain (I know from experience!) 

@smplfc123 Good job on turning it around at Wednesday. As others have said, it's surprising to see the board being so arsey about your season as to me it looked solid enough. The playoffs are a definite possibility, you just need to keep a stable run together from now. But as said above, they can be a challenge! :p 

@smplfc123 That's brilliant, very well done sir. I was convinced that the next time we heard from you it was going to be as you were looking for a new club and bemoaning your board. Hopefully they won't change their mind again if you don't end up in the top six.

@Dan McCullough Thanks, it was quite a surprise to win the cup as I am usually terrible in that competition. It looks like it may be two from three for automatic promotion. Let's see how this ends.

61hTQFY6wfL._SY355_.jpg

ASTON VILLA

The aim at the start of the season was to free up any deadwood in and around the club as it is well reported Villa have an issue with FFP. Return to the premiership was the aim and anything else would be a failure.

PRE-SEASON

5ac22f30db028_ScreenShot2018-04-02at14_21_05.thumb.png.4ddc5258c45939cd55264f07eb4b29b8.png

Pre-season was all about learning my tactics, improving team morale and of course fitness. We won all of our games including an interesting game against Bayer Leverkusen.

TRANSFER HISTORY

5ac22f2ee4eec_ScreenShot2018-04-02at14_20_44.thumb.png.555be9ec37d837e3a5a8ffa39c807222.png

Anyone considered dead wood in the first team were offloaded (I would have liked more to go but beggars can't be choosers). It is vital that we build from the bottom so that includes not hanging onto younger lads who are never going to make the grade. Villa has a history of doing this.

I also looked to offload some of the sponges at the club like Micah Richards and Ross McCormack. I was going to keep hold of Andre Green but when the proposition of signing Samir Nasri on a free transfer (46k a week) was possible I decided to let him go on loan until Nasri's ban kick's in later in the year. I couldn't resist bringing in Pirlo who is only on £900 a week. He probably won't play much but his experience should help the squad and younger lads. 

Who would have thought Villa would have John Terry, Samir Nasri and Andrea Pirlo playing for them eh?

RESULTS SO FAR..

5ac22f32e1d6b_ScreenShot2018-04-02at14_21_16.thumb.png.bb30af103116515ddfbecd69df83db79.png

No complaints with the start of the season including a pretty good win over Cardiff in their own backyard. The two cup games have seen much-changed sides but the younger lads including Abdo and Hepburn-Muprhy have both stepped up when called upon. Special mention to Kieran Davis also who has 4 goals in 5 games so far.

Wow, that's what I call faultless. Your club rep must be much higher than Fulham, I tried throughout the summer to grab Samir Nasri on a free transfer and he wouldn't even talk to us.

41 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Wow, that's what I call faultless. Your club rep must be much higher than Fulham, I tried throughout the summer to grab Samir Nasri on a free transfer and he wouldn't even talk to us.

I tried 2-3 times but he wanted 80-90k which I wasn't prepared to pay and then I went back in on deadline day and he agreed a much lower pay.

Only a 5% increase if we get promotion also.

How is Cutrone for you? May have to look at that option in January if its possible as Grabban keeps picking up injuries, Kodjia just isn't firing. Hogan is close to fitness so will be interesting to see if he can do a job next to Davis.

Edited by avillafan.com

@Jogo Bonito Fantastic achievement to win the league cup in the first season! Hope you get promoted to give you a chance of putting together a squad that can actually do something in Europa. :)

Took me eleven years to win the bloody thing.

agMCgE7.png

Even though it's the most minor of the major trophies, it's still a major trophy and a first for us.

Also I've had by far the best youth intake I've had yet in this save. A couple of 3,5 star potential players, and this one:

3J0siIx.png

Not without his faults obviously, that jumping reach is a concern and even worse is that his consistency is low (orange in the coach report), but that CA for a 15 year old is insane. I've been vey skeptical about some of the screenshots I've seen of 15 year olds that are almost at first team level, but not anymore.

I'll try and give him an appearance this season, just to set a new record.

@avillafan.com Nasri wouldn't even talk to me, before or after the window closed. Still, the bank balance wouldn't have absorbed a £46k per week wage anyway. Cutrone has done well enough for me. When fit I am starting him, he has scored a few, assisted a few and for an overall outlay of £18k per month it's great value for money. If you haven't had anything much from Grabban, Kodjia or Hogan I am surprised. Does that mean you haven't won 100% of your games any more?

@kozmik Thanks, yes it was quite unexpected. But I think your achievements with Lincoln are way better than my 'one bit of luck' in the cup. I do shorter saves mainly, often just a year or two per club as there are so many teams I always want to try. As such, my insight into regens and newgens is virtually nil. I have to say, I am really enjoying this Fulham one though. Whether I would endure a year in the Premier League with them or not, time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@avillafan.com Nasri wouldn't even talk to me, before or after the window closed. Still, the bank balance wouldn't have absorbed a £46k per week wage anyway. Cutrone has done well enough for me. When fit I am starting him, he has scored a few, assisted a few and for an overall outlay of £18k per month it's great value for money. If you haven't had anything much from Grabban, Kodjia or Hogan I am surprised. Does that mean you haven't won 100% of your games any more?

Nope. My unbeaten run is up :(.

I am still top of the league 13 games in. W10, D1, L2. A point clear of Wolves in 2nd and 8 clear of Reading in third.

Hogan returned from injury and then did his ligaments in training so hasn't actually played a game for me yet.

My other strikers have done the following:

Grabban: P 8 Gls: 3 Ass: 4

Kodjia: P7 Gls: 1 Ass: 3

Davis: P18 Gls: 8 Ass: 2

As you can see Davis is enjoying himself but I dominate a lot of games and I find that my shots to shots on target rate is poor and also shots to goals.

Wolves are strong in every game I think, as you would expect. Reading are bottom in smplfc123's game, and about to be relegated in mine, so it's surprising to see them in 3rd.

As for your strikers, yeah that's average returns really isn't it. I'm pleased you have given Davis a decent chance, but Cutrone might be worth pursuing.

Decided I am going to start in League Two. I've narrowed down my options to six, those are: Carlisle, Colchester, Crawley, Cheltenham, Notts County and Exeter. Each have a different appeal to me, but I'll have to keep narrowing it down. 

Edited by Dan McCullough

looking at the above screenshots never had a season like this before dominated the league from day one qot lucky with cup draws but what a season,been given 32m to spend will update transfers later

Season 2027-28:

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

rlcDB9d.png

Our second major trophy, this time the biggest of them all! It was all smooth sailing until the final, which was a very nervy game against PSG. Half of my back line were nervous throughout the game, and PSG taking the lead right at the end of the first half via a penalty after a foul by Alexander-Arnold didn't help things. He made amends though by heading in the equalizer from a corner, with Tamai scoring the winner from a cross by left back Alvarez at 76 minutes. After that the nerves really took hold, with our defense running around like headless chickens. Thankfully the PSG forwards concentrated on taking pot shots from distance, the only really dangerous moment coming after a corner that looked like it was cleared by divine intervention rather than defensive ability.

But what a sweet, sweet victory after years of imitating Pochettino in building great teams and winning nothing.

League table:

UBIBppP.png

All in all we did really well, but too many silly dropped points against weaker teams saw us miss out. After losing 2-3 to Spurs in the third game of the season, we went 24 games unbeaten, a new club record, with just two draws in that run, in the league cup vs United which we won on penalties, and a 0-0 draw at Watford. After losing to Arsenal around the holiday season we didn't win more than six games in a row at any point. Before the Arsenal defeat we were 10 points clear at the top of the table with a game in hand. United on the other hand, after we beat them early December, went on a run of 21 straight wins in the league, only losing to Chelsea in their penultimate game, at which point the title was already practically decided. We could've got to equal points had they lost to Southampton on the last day but we were never going to catch their GD.

FA Cup: The most disappointing and humiliating match of the season as we lost 3-1 to championship side Derby in the 3rd round.

League cup: Won, like I posted earlier.

Transfers:

GlnXubq.png?1

A fairly quiet but extremely succesful transfer window. Munoz was the only established player to come in, although Alvaro Jose ended up in the first XI and de la Torre seeing plenty of action as well. Sarachan is one for the future, one that I'd like to use in a rotation role next season but would have to offload a center back before that. Carter was signed mainly to make up the numbers in the U23 team as Godwin Udo was moved to a first team role vacated by Ozcan. If I had to pick one key transfer, I'd have to say de la Torre who looks set to become first choice right back for years to come. Also have to mention that Phil Jeffrey, who we sold for 33 million, was signed from Sunderland back in 2022 for 155k. Decent profit, that. Unfortunately the poor sod got relegated with Preston while his former teammates won the champions league.

I've been given 97 million to spend with 537k per week available wage budget. I'd love a proper world class striker but not sure there's anyone affordable. But I do think that's the thing I'm missing. The most obvious weak position is left wing but my tactic calls for a very specific player type (right footed advanced playmaker type) and there are hardly any good enough that can play at left wing. Seems that the game doesn't really produce regens like that and most of the original database ones are too old and/or expensive to consider.

Edited by kozmik

@kroshot Well done there, a very good season. However, I thought that formation you used is known to be an exploit in the ME? Could be wrong, but I'm sure I've read that somewhere. 

@kozmik Congratulations on winning the UCL, you'll get that Premier League title soon, I'm sure. :p You're really far into your save now, nice to see you still plugging away.

3 hours ago, Dan McCullough said:

@kozmikCongratulations on winning the UCL, you'll get that Premier League title soon, I'm sure. :p You're really far into your save now, nice to see you still plugging away.

Yeah, I do think so too. Although I have to admit that United's consistency is a bit intimidating. The first couple of months of last season was the first extended period I've seen from them where they've dropped several points to weaker sides. They compensated for that nicely by beating all rivals apart from Chelsea in their insane run of straight league wins.

Have to love the dynamic rivalries, by the way:

O30rJJ5.png

YYkUUjT.png

Congrats to Lincoln and Birmingham. A long time coming for The Imps, but must be satisfying! As for Birmingham, personally I wouldn't feel as though I had earned my success with a downloaded tactic, but you must have contributed something to do so well, so fair play to you.

@Dan McCullough Good luck with your new club, whoever it is. I've managed Carlisle before and Exeter several times, Colchester once quite a few years ago but only briefly. My recommendation would be Exeter or Cheltenham from that list (the latter because you have Super Mo in attack).

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Congrats to Lincoln and Birmingham. A long time coming for The Imps, but must be satisfying! As for Birmingham, personally I wouldn't feel as though I had earned my success with a downloaded tactic, but you must have contributed something to do so well, so fair play to you.

@Dan McCullough Good luck with your new club, whoever it is. I've managed Carlisle before and Exeter several times, Colchester once quite a few years ago but only briefly. My recommendation would be Exeter or Cheltenham from that list (the latter because you have Super Mo in attack).

Funnily enough I chose Cheltenham, partly for that reason! 

1 minute ago, Dan McCullough said:

Funnily enough I chose Cheltenham, partly for that reason! 

Good man! Logically, it should be Notts County of course as they have everything you would want in a League 2 club - history, stadium, fan base, potential etc.

All the best at Cheltenham though. You might be able to sign Mo's brother from Shrewsbury too...

Cheltenham Town - August Review - Season One

5ac4bedaa6e4b_CHELTENHAMTOWNFC.png.ec02604008cdd31e2d74f5e478cf02c3.png5ac4ad56a0190_CheltenhamTown_Profile.thumb.png.34f338eb537a80e6db3f150c617f516f.png

After my disappointing spell at Charlton, I decided I would try again but in a lower division. I narrowed down several options to finally choose Cheltenham Town. Why? Well I do like a good challenge on this game and Cheltenham are a bang-average mid-table side, going by media prediction and by real-life. They also have a brilliant striker in Mohamed Eisa who is absolutely ripping it up in his debut season in the EFL and I was attracted by the chance to manage the Sudanese forward, who has caused me problems in previous saves. The club are certainly not one of the biggest in League Two and don't have a huge budget, which means it was difficult to get new blood into the squad, especially when you take our reputation into account also. I want to consolidate ourselves in the division and eventually make our way back into League One, a league the club were last in back in the 2008/09 season.

Squad

5ac4b22f6c241_CheltenhamTown_PlayersPlayers-3.thumb.png.3762c0898cb54431b810c6a535da9a29.png

One problem I encountered with the squad is the mass amount of loan signings. I cancelled several, so I could bring in my own options to help improve the squad in different areas of the pitch. Elijah Adebayo, Emmanuel Onariase and Jake Andrews' loans were all terminated. Above is the squad with the loans terminated. We are desperately crying out for options on the right side, both in midfield and in defence, however we will struggle with a small budget and with four players already on loan, it allows only for one more to be used in the match-day squad, so we have to be very choosy with what we do. I'm very happy with the strikers, we have a good range of options with Eisa being the main man, but Brian Graham and Danny Wright are certainly capable off of the bench. Jaanai Gordan is someone who won't feature this season, but definitely has potential so I'll look to get him out on loan, most likely.

I'm quite happy with the heart of my defence also, with a couple of talented loanees available to me in Taylor Moore and Joe Rodon, alongside the experienced heads of Aaron Downes and Jamie Grimes, amongst other younger options. Perhaps another area to improve in would be inbetween the sticks. Scott Flinders would be our first choice and he doesn't strike me as someone who is exactly a top keeper to have at this sort of level. He will certainly do a job as a backup, but I'll be looking to find a suitable keeper, most likely on a free.

Transfers

5ac4b510509c5_CheltenhamTown_TransferHistory.thumb.png.a62cae9653318f1bc3d0453f216b296a.png

Callum Roberts

5ac4b56575a0c_CallumRoberts_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.b66bec2278c42e6c2260aad4cc1fb8e3.png

Callum Roberts is our first signing of the window and fills the void on the right-hand side of midfield. On loan from Newcastle, he certainly has the attributes to enjoy a successful season here with us and I'm hoping he lives up to my expectations.

Ian McLoughlin

5ac4b580ba4e3_IanMcLoughlin_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.94658ce83e0a2171daf36b4e19808a3b.png

Our new number one. Ian has experience at this level having played for Newport County and is a capable option. With our lack of money, it was difficult to find someone to better Flinders and this was the only real option we had. Prior to his days at Waterford in the second division of Ireland, he had gone a couple of years without having a club, so it is a slight risk, but one I hope pays off.

Daniel James

5ac4b59bc8c17_DanielJames_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.f8b6c0109e1dd4d19a185e2747698bd3.png

Daniel James was a real coup in my opinion. On loan from Swansea, taking our number of loanees for the season to six, he will provide competition to Jerrell Sellers, as I don't think Sanmi Odelusi is up to par at present. 

Jermaine Grandison

5ac4b5bbab279_JermaineGrandison_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.eaacf55956043038f7358aad73a90646.png

We desperately needed a new face at right-back and we turned to the experienced head of Jermaine Grandison. He spent a large part of his career in League One with Shrewsbury and so has the quality about him to deliver, however a spell at Colchester failed after his release and I'm hoping that he can rebuild himself here.

Conor Grant

5ac4b5cd24bc1_ConorGrant_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.893641621c56803b033eaefca944c0de.png

Our final piece of business in the window was the loan signing of Conor Grant from Everton. I didn't want to have to make another loan signing, but you will find out why I was forced to do so soon. He is a top player and will do a fine job for us in the middle of the park however.

Injuries

5ac4b80e3ed46_DanMcCullough_Inbox-10.thumb.png.33586676db261b2af63f58390c4d6869.png

Carl Winchester has been ruled out for the majority of the season with a broken lower leg. Coupled with this was the injury to Nigel Atangana, who would miss all but the final game of August with injury also. This meant we were left with just Joe Morrell and Harry Pell in midfield going into the opening day, prior to the arrival of Conor Grant from Everton. Mohamed Eisa also picked up an injury towards the end of the month for two weeks, hopefully these little injuries won't be a common theme to our season.

Tactic

5ac4b98ac3bd4_CheltenhamTown_Overview-2.thumb.png.f82a6e03000c903e8a799ee96cff1fa2.png

This is the tactic we have deployed in our first month in charge at Whaddon Road. The team selection does alter, as do the roles in some cases. For example, Dawson (who has returned from injury) rotates with Callum Roberts. Taylor Moore also rotates in the defence with one of the three, using playing as a BPD whereas Danny Wright would usually be on the bench for Eisa, who plays as a poacher. The formation will most likely be the same for the season, making use of our wide range of defensive options and covering for the lack of options in other areas. We certainly having been playing beautiful football in Eisa's absence, using Wright's height as a way to play more direct football. Usually this would alter during games, playing either mixed passing or shorter passing. The 'Get Stuck In' option is a personal favourite of mine, especially at clubs like Cheltenham. It does mean our discipline isn't the best, but it allows us to win the ball back far more than what we don't, I notice. 

Ilias (nickname for our left-back) is very important to the side. His role allows him to provide an extra option going forward and he can whip those balls into Wright who James is perhaps held up. It hasn't caught us out many times as of yet, but it's something I am monitoring. Even when he does get forward, we have the back four, with whoever is playing the left center-back able to pull across to cover and Harry Pell dropping slightly deeper if needs be in the BWM role.

Results

5ac4bbbf2c8f1_CheltenhamTown_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.d2725293159205bdc0c82e159bbcc27b.png

We have begun the season very well, with a record of three wins and one loss in the league, alongside taking Championship opposition in Wolves to penalties. The Morecambe game was how I discovered the effectiveness of the attacking full-back, as we originally opted for a defensive backline entirely. At 0-0 and with little chances, I pushed the boat out and pushed Jordan Cranston (who started over Ilias) forward and immediately he placed a great ball into the area to allow us to head home and go in front. Callum Lang got a brace, however one of his goals came for us. 

The Wolves game was simply incredible to say the least. We were unsurprisingly getting battered most of the game but took our chance to equalise. When they went 2-1 up after some good play, I conceded defeat to be honest. However, Joe Morrell found the goal after a smart delivery into the area to send us to extra-time. Brian Graham shocked the home fans by giving us the lead, however they made it 3-3 with two minutes to play. Ultimately a penalty miss from Sellers sent us out in a 5-4 penalty shootout defeat, however it was a brilliant performance.

A penalty from Harry Pell gave us the three points in our first home game of the season against Crawley, but we followed that up with a poor performance against Carlisle. We simply couldn't defend against winger Nicky Adams, who caused us issues all game. However we responded with an impressive 3-1 win against promotion contenders Exeter. Danny Wright was keen to show why he should be starting over Eisa once again, after he bagged a consolation goal against the Cumbrians the previous game with a brace. This was capped off by the returning Kevin Dawson from injury and will be a game we will look back on with fond memories at the end of the campaign I'm sure.

Hopefully we can continue our rather surprising start to the season. Mon the Robins!

Edited by Dan McCullough

17 hours ago, kroshot said:

don't really have a lot of time to play just needed a quick tactic to get me going

That's fair enough and all that matters is that you're enjoying it! It's a game, and should be a break from all the other stresses of life we have to endure.

@Dan McCullough A great intro to life with The Robins. It's nice to hear your thoughts behind the transfers, the tactics etc. Very decent results so far, nice effort - but I can't believe you have broken Mo already!

@Dan McCullough Great start there mate, hope you keep it up.

So here we are, the end of season update. I left you with my ageing Sheffield Wednesday squad just sitting in 6th, with 4 teams going for that final play off spot. Here is what happened next:

image.thumb.png.8e903e89c8a12233691c93357b15554f.png

Despite getting a good win against Preston, we completely crumbled for the end of the season. A mixture of me not believing in my squad, over thinking things tactically and changing too much cost me, although I really do believe getting in to the top 6 with my very slow and old squad was a big ask anyway.

image.thumb.png.9dbdb4eebcdc1269da4286d87c905c29.png

So we finished in 9th place, 6 points off the play offs. When you look at the losses we had at the end of the season, with 1 of them being against Norwich who finished in that 6th spot, we really were closer than 9th suggests.

We started amazingly, had a massive dip in form and then could never really recover.

I could sense half way through the bad run that we may not be able to get out of it, but as the morale had improved with the players I decided to chance my arm and ask for a new contract. Despite being initially knocked back, the board agreed and I've officially signed a 2 year extension. So despite not making the play offs, as of now, I still have a job and they have given me £3.5m to work with next season.

I was planning on doing a big remodelling job, but with the lack of funds, It's going to take some major wheeling and dealing to sort this squad out.

UP THE OWLS

@smplfc123: That's a disappointing way to end the season :( Glad the board have kept you on though, after their threat to sack you earlier on in the season I bet you were slightly worried. That budget is very small considering Wednesday are not exactly struggling financially, it could be a Summer of selling to buy for you annoyingly. Looking forward to seeing how you get around it and your business in the window.

5ac50996f0da2_CheltenhamvLincolnCity_MatchReview.thumb.png.48224434d2a13f3f61c5973784d2c620.png

We have picked up 20 points from a possible 24 so far this season at home, drawing to 2nd placed Swindon and mid-table Grimsby. What a way to win this game after top of the league Lincoln, talk about clinical from Danny Wright ;).

Edited by Dan McCullough

@Dan McCullough I was very worried mate, thankfully they've said nothing about it this summer and I'm doing quite a lot of business. I'm excited to see what the fresh looking squad can produce.

Great home form there and a nice win over Lincoln, very clinical indeed :thup:

5ac50c71f2a1f_WycombevCheltenham_MatchReview.thumb.png.380b6b7cc263349ecc5c8166fe3cbb1d.png

It's a shame our away form is doing us no justice. This is our first point away from home since the opening day and since then we've played seven games, excluding Wycombe.

@smplfc123 Unlucky there, but not far away really. I wouldn't say £3.5m is a bad budget, as you probably have some contracts expiring, some players to sell etc. I am pleased that your board are not putting pressure on you over your job, and it sounds like you're enjoying the summer transfer window. Lots to look forward to then.

@Dan McCullough That really is a big contrast between home and away. Is that because of different formations or tactics on the road? Whatever you have been doing, try the reverse because clearly when you're not playing in Cheltenham, you're just not at the races :lol:

I've completed an enjoyable season 1 with Fulham, so will post an update in due course. I also saved an additional 'new game' as soon as I saw Reading had been relegated, as I quite fancy managing them in League 1 alongside my other commitments. With an inflated budget and disastrous players that need to be kicked well in to touch, they really do need a complete re-building job (as in real life). 

35 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Dan McCullough That really is a big contrast between home and away. Is that because of different formations or tactics on the road? Whatever you have been doing, try the reverse because clearly when you're not playing in Cheltenham, you're just not at the races :lol:

I have been trying to find something that works, I've even tried the same tactic I've used at home but nothing seems to be working. I have just beaten Forest Green 3-2 with a 94th minute winner so I'll stick with the tactic I used and hope it works again. 

Looking forward to seeing how you do with Reading as well, the save seems quite intriguing in my view also.

Edited by Dan McCullough

5ac52775b3e5f_CHELTENHAMTOWNFC.png.539aa9dcbcce27f7faf39f29a9e4af41.png

Cheltenham Town - Season One - November Update

It's been a real rollercoaster ride so far with the Robins as we approach December. Our home form has remained incredible, as we remain unbeaten at home (beside a loss in the Checkatrade Trophy) however we have only managed just two wins away from home all season. Last time out away from Whaddon Road we managed to scrap past Forest Green Rovers with a 3-2 win, therefore I am hoping the new tactic I deployed is going to aid our horrific form. When you haven't won away from home since the opening day, it will definitely play on your mind as a player, as it was for me as the manager so I hope this is the start of something different for us and the form can come close to matching this great run we have at home, as stated. Below are our results since August:

Overall.thumb.png.3112f0d0e2792fa0112f5460ab53c530.png

We have had some very impressive results so far this season as we are miles ahead of our expectations. We have beaten Mansfield comfortably, as well as beating top opposition in the likes of Lincoln and Luton Town. The only real disappointment at home so far would be the 1-1 draw to Grimsby who sat in 14th. We scrapped a late equaliser to preserve only unbeaten run, in a game where it was clear that we were missing the attacking presence of Mohamed Eisa, who has been a strong part to the team so far. Unfortunately we were dumped out of the FA Cup to League One side Plymouth Argyle after a narrow 1-0 loss in the replay at Home Park. We were spirited in both games however just didn't have it in us to shock the apple cart. Positively we are out of the Checka**** Trophy as I like to call it, pointless competition! :p 

The away form has sent me into a stage of madness, completely baffled by our inability to win away. A number of times I have come away confused by how we didn't come away with a point or even three. On the other hand, I have also come away thinking we were lucky as we struggled in front of goal and the defence seemed to split regularly. Probably the most disappointing result away from home has to be against struggling Notts County. They sat inside the relegation zone coming into the game and were on a poor run, therefore I was hoping with a tactical tweak we would be able to finally get the elusive away win we needed. However, County took the one chance they had in the game to ensure they took three vital points, whereas we were made to rue a number of missed opportunities. 

5ac52b8261a87_MohamedEisa_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.50e4a088510f768f488265e1d493b68e.png5ac52b9066f97_DannyWright_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.57d1bd9b5a65dd36dca7f1cf78fb4b39.png

On the whole we have been quite lucky with injuries. I said in the previous update that I was hoping we would come through the few injuries we got early on in the season and thankfully we have. Mohamed Eisa has picked up a few knocks over the season, so I have had to be very careful with him and make extra precautions to avoid a serious injury, but it hasn't affected his ability on the pitch. Scoring ten goals in nineteen games this season, his record isn't prolific but it is very solid and definitely good enough to make me think very highly of him. Alongside him we have Danny Wright and although we only play with the one striker, he has always been there to fill the void when Eisa isn't firing or is simply unavailable - scoring six goals in three starts and eleven substitute appearances. 

5ac52b9967758_HarryPell_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.7e0cbcc6550ce394edf1c6ec04affd11.png5ac52ba04101c_ConorGrant_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.2c4a07f9cee8edb3d8b931b4ba465245.png

Perhaps overlooked and quite undervalued by many, our midfield duo of Conor Grant and Harry Pell has been magnificent so far. Averaging 7.13 and 7.08 apiece, they have been vital in our terrific season so far and the occasional time one of the two has been missing, usually Harry Pell due to the suspensions he has received, we don't look as threatening in the middle of the pitch, as they're willing to get down and dirty and ensure they win the ball back at whatever cause, something I very much like in my midfielders. We face a real issue in our next game with both of these two missing, that's for sure. :p

5ac52c04ec0a4_SkyBetLeague2_OverviewStages.thumb.png.e60670c63745f4f8fee3074e014e1c4c.png

We sit just outside the Sky Bet League Two playoff places going into December on goal-difference beside high-flying Barnet and a point behind Coventry. To say we were tasked with just ensuring the club maintained a mid-table finish this season compared to how well we're doing, I feel I'm doing a decent job! The task for now is to ensure we continue our good form at home and look to improve our away form and who knows? We could be challenging the playoffs all season, if not more. I'm certainly enjoying my life here at Whaddon Road and hopefully we can continue to go from strength to strength. Mon the Robins!

Great updates Dan, if that away form improves you'll be right in contention. Really pleased that Mo is doing well when fit, it's fair to say he is settling in slowly to life at Fulham (my admiration for him in the real world probably clouded my judgment that he would be ready for a promotion-chasing Championship team), but if I do take on the Reading challenge, I'll be looking to take him there as he should cope with regular starts in League 1. You mention Grant in midfield, I remember he had a high average rating for me at Doncaster in FM17. Keep up the good work.

6 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Great updates Dan, if that away form improves you'll be right in contention. Really pleased that Mo is doing well when fit, it's fair to say he is settling in slowly to life at Fulham (my admiration for him in the real world probably clouded my judgment that he would be ready for a promotion-chasing Championship team), but if I do take on the Reading challenge, I'll be looking to take him there as he should cope with regular starts in League 1. You mention Grant in midfield, I remember he had a high average rating for me at Doncaster in FM17. Keep up the good work.

It's a shame that FM often doesn't allow for players to jump up the leagues as easily as perhaps some do irl. Grant has been incredible really, he is very confident on the ball and has been a huge asset for me. :)