Sports Interactive Community
Jogo Bonito

FM18: The English Football League Thread - EFL in FM18

So, a player sprains his knee, then, in his first training session back, does this... :(

20180702090317_1.thumb.jpg.7bf3ba893f651012e3cfe6d95f959446.jpg

I hate transfer windows. I'll say that much.

The season didn't get off to the most auspicious of starts, losing Kris Commons with a sprained knee at the end of July, which would mean he'd miss a month, there was pressure, however, to maintain a positive cashflow into the club, so, outgoing moves would have to be made.

The first match of the season was a repeat of the last game of the previous one, with Wigan Athletic coming to Doncaster. It didn't start well for us, with several players making their debuts, and we found ourselves 3-1 down after 20 minutes. Somehow, a John Marquis inspired comeback was on, and we came back to 3-3 at half time. A couple of changes 10 minutes into the second half bedded the side down a bit, and we were able to dominate, however, we didn't secure 3 points until the 87th minute with Marquis getting his 4th of the game with a free kick.

Next up, Sunderland, who only just missed out on relegation to League One last season. Now managed by Gennaro Gattuso, he took great pleasure in telling me that they'd win the game, and easily. However, it didn't turn out to be that easy for them, as despite them outshooting us 2-1, we had more shots on target, and secured the winner through Jeff King, who had entered the game in the 31st minute when James Coppinger was injured.

We found ourselves drawn against Leicester in the next round, at the Keepmoat, so that would provide some money to keep the coffers a little fuller. 

A visit to Fleetwood came next, and despite the hosts having little of the game other than one shot on goal, we left with a 1-1 draw, disappointing, but, again, a work towards the end of the season.

Walsall were visitors to the Keepmoat next, with their talismanic midfielder, Erhun Oztumer returning from injury, however, they found themselves 2-0 down within 7 minutes, as Kazaiah Sterling and Indy Boonen both scored their first goals for the club, and on 35 minutes, full back Tyler Garrett burst into the box and slotted home to complete the scoring. A 3-0 win, which left us 6th in the table, with no more league action in the month, and only Leicester to visit coming.

The visit of Leicester was somewhat disappointing, with the Premier League visitors running out 2-0 winners in front of a crowd of 10000. Disappointing, but, again, worthwhile funds into the club.

Next day saw the return of Kris Commons to full training, however, this lasted less than an hour, as he withdrew, having suffered ruptured cruciate ligaments, which will probably end his time at Doncaster Rovers. 

The transfer window was closing in less than 2 days, and I'd got a couple of moves left to make. 

Former Coventry trainee, Conor Thomas, who, earlier in his career had spent time at Liverpool, was available on a free after departing Kolkata in India, he was keen to come, and would provide depth in midfield.

The next couple of moves were to secure 16 year old winger Robbie Byrne, and striker Darragh Shaughnessy, both on free transfers.

The first of the outgoings came on deadline day, with Matty Blair, who hadn't had many starts under me, wanting to move. Portsmouth came straight in and offered £150000 up front for him, and, he left. 

Shortly after that, Bolton came in with an offer for my centre back/defensive midfielder Luke McCullough. The up front offer of £250000, rising to £400000 was accepted, and I moved to replace him with Charltons transfer listed centre back, Harry Lennon.

20180702092624_1-300x159.jpg 20180702092646_1-300x159.jpg 20180702092543_1-300x159.jpg 20180702092546_1-300x159.jpg

I am giving the English Leagues another go, and have started a save with Blackburn. I really liked them during the 90's, and something about a prior Premier League winner sitting in League 1 just doesn't seem right to me.

They have a fairly talented squad, albeit with quite a few loan players in the attacking positions (Harry Chapman, Adam Armstrong, Jack Payne, and Marcus Antonsson).

I started out the campaign playing a 4-4-2/4-3-3 hybrid with a narrow sitting wide player and an attacking winger, but I have since moved one striker back as an attacking midfielder, as I couldn't make the offense tick.

9htx43a.png

The squad is doing nicely in late October, and I am excited to see how Ranking-Costello will develope. Also, Charlie Mulgrew is an absolute stud. He has scored seven goals in the league so far from his position as a central defender (most have come from penalties, though).

1CNtdGH.png

s6rqFFX.png

business so far up until the first game of the championship season, no real big names or signings just more depth into my squad which is what I feel I needed most. got a lot of players for free as you can see but all under 23 and can be used to grow into first teamers or just to be sold on in future for some profit. stand out so far has been Rafael Barbosa who really has impressed me in pre-season. didn't manage to offload as many as I would have liked but I did get rid of some of the older players and hardly renewed any expiring contracts.

20180702170100_1.thumb.jpg.b9abfec6e8ff5a3fa263bf986bc5c8e2.jpg

had a decent pre season too - no real tests with big teams but the wins should do good for the teams confidence!

20180702170159_1.thumb.jpg.a83db9acfda3f76c7d73ff3ead27d757.jpg

Edited by QuassoRP

22 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Yes, you've worked hard for that success! Shame about Vic, I still have him around. I'll post my season 3 squad up sometime (12 out of the 24 are players that played for the club in the 17/18 season).

You've inspired me to bring him home! :D

Vic.thumb.png.c9486a2355337815c12002c8038f02a8.png

Lots going on! Well done @Jogo Bonito talk about goals! And finally @Dong21 Europe for Fulham! Brilliant work. 

Unlucky @robterrace regarding Commons! But glad to see you have started well. 

@QuassoRP Like me with regards to pre-season, I tend to just try and play weaker opposition to get morale and confidence up. Good luck with the new season. 

Thanks @Gunner 101, I've got a little bit of time before my next update comes out (doing one at the end of December, so I'm just making sure everything is OK with that.

The Commons injury was a pain in the backside, however, I've sort of decided to ignore his wage, and work around the loss of him by making up for what he offers with other players (the old school Moneyball way). :D

Derby County: Season 1, the run-in

Despite a few winless stretches, I can't really complain about the second half of the season - apart from a Boxing Day defeat away at Hull, we're unbeaten in the league in 18 games. Defensively, we've been pretty solid with a lot of clean sheets in those games, but we've often struggled for goals. At the January transfer window, we had no budget remaining, but finances were looking perilous (still are!). So with Vydra and Thorne returned from long-term injuries I used the window to end the loans of Winnall, Palmer and Field which, together, were costing us nearly £60k a week. After a brilliant start, Winnall was a passenger for the remainder of his spell with us so he left with no regrets on my part. Chelsea's Kasey Palmer was a bigger loss, but he and Field were luxuries we couldn't afford.

I had also switched from four at the back to three, which meant we needed one fewer midfielders. But moving Wisdom into a CB role left us short at right wing-back so I brought in James Bree on loan from Aston Villa, and he's done a decent cover job for us. Notable performances - for good and bad reasons - include Andi Weimann and Cameron Jerome who lead the scoring chart with 19 and 17, respectively; left WB Olsson has the most assists with 10 and is our top-rated player, while the wrong 'uns include Dave Nugent who started well but has faded badly in the second half, and Matej Vydra who also came back strongly from injury with 10 goals in as many games but has been rubbish for the last couple of months.

In the cups we survived the Carabao Cup until the semi-final where we lost 3-4 on aggregate to Stoke, and a stout performance in the FA Cup saw us beat Arsenal 1-0 in replay extra time but then lose to Chelsea away 1-3 in the 6th round. Pretty good, I thought!

PGFXMFIh.png?1

So with four games to play, we sit on top of the pile with a six point lead over Norwich (and a much better GD) with Birmingham a further point behind. As the media remind me at every press conference, we must be considered favourites for the title. We probably have the easier run-in with only Middlesborough (at home) a real threat, and a game against already-relegated Burton. Villa and Barnsley are safe and have nothing much to play for. Norwich, meanwhile have games against playoff candidates Leeds and Cardiff.

kKAqQ8yh.png?1 

After reading this thread over some time now, it made me wanted to start my last FM 18 save with a EFL. After some consideration my i decided to go for Brentford. Had a really fun save with them some editions a go, when players like Jota and Lasse Vibe was on fire. Looking at this years squad i see a lot of potential, and a little surprised about the 15th media prediction after looking on the talent in the squad.

Playing with Brentford is more about building a club from the start. Just look at the facilities. Small stadium, 0 youth level , no junior coaching and recruitment. So we have a job to do!

2yza1qb.jpg

Going tp play a 3-4-3, with wingers to get the best out of my attacking trio Canos, Watkins and Mercondes.

Transfers:

52l1qo.jpg

I was hoping to maybe challenge for a play off spot before the season started, but we did so much more than that. Playing some good football and absolutely dominating the league from the start. Had a really tough fight with Wolves to begun with. As they didn't lose again before we beat them in january. After that they got some bad result on the way, and we clinched the promotion quite easily in early april

10cjlmt.png

Going to be a busy pre season before the Premier League starts. Need some additions in the squad and better staff. Been giving a transfer budget on £32 m. And need to strengthen with a defender, midfielder and attacker. 

Also getting a new stadium, Lionel Road, with a capacity at 17,000. So we need to play our home games at Selhurst Park to the new stadium is finished before the 2019/20 season.

zwycna.png

Edited by matsnor21

@matsnor21 That's a very impressive season. As I mentioned up-thread, before landing at Derby I tried a couple of attempted saves with Brentford and failed miserably, largely down to horrific runs of injuries but also a lack of goals from Maupay and Marcondes.

Good luck in the premiership, and keep us updated. You might inspire me to yet another try with the Bees.

Derby County: Season 1 complete

CrD7Wygh.png?1

In the end it was a drama-free conclusion to the season. with wins against Burton, Boro and Barnsley and a goalless draw away at Aston Villa meaning we never relinquished our six-point advantage. We also finished with a Derby record points haul, beating the previous best of 85 points.

icqJaEPh.png?1

Andi Weimann led the line, contributing to a league-best attacking record, and we also conceded the fewest goals at the other end. The dark cloud on the horizon is the finances - that season loss of £18m is despite board cash injections of £9m. Hopefully, premiership TV money and a couple of new sponsorship deals will help.

Much work for the season ahead. It's an ageing squad with the majority of players older than 28, and quite a few beyond 30. Chris Baird is out of contract at 36, and Dave Nugent at 33 will also go. I'm currently undecided about Curtis Davies, also 33. Apart from age, there's the question of ability - Bradley Johnson, Richard Keogh, and Cameron Jerome all struggled in the second half of the season, and a large chunk of the squad is rated only as good or decent Championship players. In fact, only Ledley, Lawrence, Wisdom and Thorne are Premiership quality. Initial transfer budget is around £30m, which is probably better than I expected given the finances but won't allow a wholesale squad makeover.

Will report back ahead of the new season.

@warlock thanks for that. Yeah had a lot of injuries during the first season, but was lucky i guess, only small one. Typical i got a injury on Ollie Watkins just before the season ended, out 4-5 months. If I'm lucky he will reach the Premier League start. 

Have had a really busy transfer window regarding players and staff. And feel I'm ready for the new season. Going to be tough, but i believe we can stay up. Will update after the season. 

Can I just say how jealous I am of how fast you guys manage to get through seasons! :lol:

Keep up the good work and good luck in your Premier League seasons @matsnor and @warlock

Edited by Gunner 101

Here we go, ready for the Premier League. Got a tough start with Man City and Liverpool in the first two games. Really happy with the transfer window, and think i have the squad to keep us up. Time will show!

2wgg31c.png

3 hours ago, Gunner 101 said:

Can I just say how jealous I am of how fast you guys manage to get through seasons! :lol:

Keep up the good work and good luck in your Premier League seasons @matsnor and @warlock

I'm off sick from work at the moment, so I can bang through a season a day if needed.

Hey Guys, want to rejoin this thread after being away from the game for a while. Got inspired to return to it by the World Cup.

I started up a new game in international management, taking over the Wales job. Somehow got them to the finals in Russia, through a pretty fortunate draw, had to get past Belgium in the R16, then Uruguay and Croatia. However, lost to Spain in the final, but Gareth Bale came home with the Golden Boot. 

Anyway, I resigned the day after the WC and started hunting for a club appointment. The only manager-less clubs then were Wolves & Norwich, who both had a disappointing first season. Applied for and got interviews at both; finally decided to take over at Wolves. Obviously, they have a strong squad for the Championship, I don't understand why they struggled the previous year. 

Surprisingly when I took over, the club didn't have a single coach. So brought in an entire coaching & training staff and some good scouts as well. Squad wise, things were looking very good already and I only came in around mid August so not much time. Diogo Jota had just joined the club on a permanent, not sure if that's pre-programmed or not. The only major purchase I made was Sergi Enrich from Eibar for 4 million, he looks a very good well-rounded striker. Later on, Ruben Neves got injured for 2 months so I brought in Dean Marney on a free short term deal.

The January transfer window was mostly spent fending off interest from bigger clubs for my best players and convincing them to stay. The only one that I willingly sold was Romain Saiss for 8 million to Brighton, because I just felt the offer was good and he's not going to progress any further. Ruddy suffered a long-term injury, so I brought in Angus Gunn from Man City on loan till the end of the season.

We are now in February 2019, and comfortably top of the league, having won most and lost just one league game all season. Below is the team that I play most often:

GK - Ruddy
WBR - Iorfa/ Doherty
WBL - Douglas/ Hause
DC - Batth
DC - Kalas
DM - Coady
MEZ - Ruben Neves
MEZ - Prince Oniangue/ Ronan
AMR - Helder Costa
AML - Ivan Cavaleiro/ Diogo Jota
FC - Diogo Jota/ Sergi Enrich

The star performers have been Costa and Jota who are both unbelievable, and I've already rejected bids of 15m+ for each. Not far behind them are Cavaleiro & Enrich as well. All 4 have crossed 10 goals and 10 assists each for the season already. 

I've also been giving a lot of game time to the home-grown youngsters at the club - Ronan, Enobakhare, Gibbs-White, Iorfa and Hause. They all seem to be developing well and contributing some good performances too.

I shall do a proper update with screenshots at the end of the season. And good luck to everyone else!

4 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

I don't understand why they struggled the previous year. 

Seems to happen a lot with Wolves under AI management, but you're right - it is a really strong squad. Hanging on to Jota, Costa and Cavaleiro is a challenge, especially when you reach the premiership. Of the younger players, the standouts for me over three seasons were Ronan and Iorfa (Hause was fine but didn't develop at anything like the rate Iorfa did).

Good luck, although it looks like you're already doing well :thup:.

12 hours ago, Gunner 101 said:

Nice signing in Ben Gibson @matsnor21

Seconded, and a bit of a bargain at that price, too. Llorente looks like a player, as well - tried to sign him but he opted for Marseilles instead.

I've just finished my first season with Blackburn. We won the League One in superb fashion with David Raya, Charlie Mulgrew, and Elliott Bennett leading the way. Bennett was voted player of the year.

I thought I would be getting a big transfer budget sa I hadn't spent a penny on players during my first season, but alas I only got €2,2M to play around with, and the great overhaul of the squad for The Championship looked bleak - the board even cancelled the planned expansion of the club's youth facilities only to have enough funds for them a week later. That is some bad planning! I ended up hiring Ricky Martin (not the Puerto Rican one, it turned out...) as my Director Of Football, as I am not very good at managing the scouting system of FM18, and he in turn bought Hicham Khaloua from Almería in Spain, and signed Rhian Brewster, Tashan Oakley-Boothe (from my parent club Tottenham), and Jonathan Leko from West Brom.

Now just before the start of my first season in The Championship, I am going into the season with the following starting lineup, and I hope to be able to pull off a surprise or two, as I am aiming for a playoff spot, though that might prove difficult!

I had Ormerod come through as a regen, and he looks really good, so I am aiming to give him a lot of playing time!

lQx5efF.png

December 31st 2018.

Doncaster. South Yorkshire.

At the start of this season, I decided that it would be OK if we finished mid table. The press reckoned we would be near the relegation zone, and, the signings I'd made would be ready for first team football at the back end of this season, ready to go next season for the big prize.

This is where it gets difficult.

I'm slightly ahead of my estimation.

After the defeat to Leicester in the cup, and the transfer window closing, several things became apparent. The morale in the squad as going up, despite the poor performance, and the level of improvement in training was becoming obvious.

Heading into September, we managed to remain on a roll, picking up a great 6-2 win at home to Bury, before beating Chesterfield in the JPT. 

A 2-2 draw away at Portsmouth saw us maintain a top 5 place, before something ridiculous happened.

20180704151751_1-300x159.jpg 20180704132243_1-300x159.jpg

Yeah, the last time I dropped any points in a League Fixture, was in that match. 19 games ago. Using a minimal rotation of players (mainly to replace anyone with condition below 93% pre kickoff) in order to maintain fitness and freshness, Doncaster Rovers have gone on a rampage.

As the clock ticks round to the new year, we are 23 points clear of 2nd placed AFC Wimbledon (after 24 games), and 30 points clear of 7th placed Bradford. In theory, we could push for a Promotion and Championship by the end of February.

20180704152518_1-300x159.jpg

Moneywise, the club needs to raise funds pretty quickly. Despite the new owner putting some money in to cover accrued losses, we're still in the hole financially. One player came in on a free transfer, this being former Manchester United trainee, Joe Rothwell, who had left Oxford at the end of the previous season, and he has fitted into the midfield rotation.

Theres some scouting going on towards moves to be made in January, and on towards the coming summer, with the intention being to go for Championship standard players, no matter what division we are in, and then alter targets should promotion come.

The only other moves have been sending some fringe players out on loan to gain experience, and they're out until the end of the season.

Scoring wise, Kazaiah Sterling has 18 League goals and 7 assists in 23 games, and a total of 23 goals altogether in 30 games this season, there are other players in the scoring charts, with every player bar 1 or 2 chipping in with goals.

Theres a few managerial jobs popping up, and rumours of me going off elsewhere, but, I don't think I'd go just yet, although, if a certain job comes up, you'll never know.

1 hour ago, robterrace said:

Doncaster Rovers have gone on a rampage.

That's hugely impressive :applause:. Don't think I've ever put together a sequence of results like that, even with a top team. 

You're going to have write the Robterrace Guide to Club Management!

3 minutes ago, warlock said:

That's hugely impressive :applause:. Don't think I've ever put together a sequence of results like that, even with a top team. 

You're going to have write the Robterrace Guide to Club Management!

It's the first time I've done anything like this in a long time.

Come on then guys. I've finished my Rangers save and I've finally got a bit of spare time.

Who should I go??

I'd prefer Championship, maybe League 1. I want a challenge. I don't want a club predicted/expected to finish in the top 3/4.

Any suggestions? I've looked down the list of teams about 10 times, but nothing is really appealing to me.

Appreciate any help guys!

1 minute ago, robterrace said:

It's the first time I've done anything like this in a long time.

Enjoy it while it lasts, eh? We all know what FM can do! :lol:

3 minutes ago, smplfc123 said:

Who should I go??

What about Bristol City in the Championship? Not expected to tear the league apart, some good players, and a decent stadium that should support long-term development.

In League 1 I can highly recommend Peterborough - they're only predicted for mid-table, although the board expects the playoffs. But a really good squad means you can do better. And the Championship in season 2 would be a tough challenge.

Thanks @warlock both will go on to my 'maybe pile'. I'm liking the sound of both.

Whoever I pick, i'll go with my usual no experience and average qualifications, but I'll go against my usual grain and leave transfers turned on this time. Something different.

Cardiff (Personal hatred) and Wolves are a no go should anyone suggest them.

So many great updates in the last few days, well done all and it was enjoyable reading. I finished my season with Forest Green at the end of last week, just haven't had time to put it up.

@smplfc123 No idea anymore mate! I thought Ipswich would have been a good fit for your reputation, and I guess you didn't feel connected to Bristol Rovers. City and Preston have always been good fun for me, and I would suggest Scunthorpe too. A nice club with some decent players (two good wingers, Murray Wallace, Ivan Toney) who mostly won't be there next season, And surely you will like the fact they launched the careers of Keegan and Clemence?

28 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I thought Ipswich would have been a good fit for your reputation

Actually, given the criteria, Ipswich would be a very good fit, I think. And appropriate - it's exactly 40 years since Ipswich won the FA Cup. In 1978 I was living in Harwich not far from Ipswich and, although I never went to watch them, the excitement that summer wsa amazing. I've managed Ipswich in every version of FM except this one... I think I know where I'll be going after Derby!

Derby County: Season 2, the Premiership

I spent a lot of time simply pondering the double question: was the squad too old, and was the squad good enough to compete at a higher level? I'm always impressed by FM managers who grab the bull by the horns and make wholesale changes to their squad, shipping out anyone deemed not good enough, and buying replacements in bulk, spending as if there's no tomorrow. But I've never been able to bring myself to do that. I worry about dynamics (even before dynamics was a thing), I worry about the finances, I worry about the risk. So although what follows may not seem very dramatic, this time I decided to be a little more... decisive!

When it became clear I wasn't going to extend his contract, Chris Baird announced his retirement. Darren Bent, returning from loan, came to the same conclusion. Bent was no loss, but Baird left us with a hole at the right side of defence. Meanwhile up front, we had two good AMCs in Vydra and Lawrence but the 532/352 that was so successful in the first season meant both were being played out of position - Vydra as a striker, and Lawrence as an attacking CM. Both were occasionally good, but often poor. If I made the switch to my preferred 4312 formation, I could kill several birds with one stone - I had the AMC slot covered with two good options, and I could move Wisdom to my preferred role for him at RB (he didn't fit the advanced WB role and played most of the season as right-sided CB) thus solving the problem of Baird's retirement.

But the change also presented some new problems. Anya, who was OK as an advanced wingback didn't have the attributes to play in a back four. Moving Wisdom out wide left us short of cover in the CB positions. And dropping Vydra back to the AMC slot left us short of cover in the striker positions. Elsewhere, I decided that striker Dave Nugent wasn't good enough for the Premiership, and I didn't trust the returning Chris Martin either. In midfield, Bradley Johnson had turned in some disappointing performances towards the end of the season and I decided it was time to move him on. Jacob Butterfield, returning from loan, was a player I liked in earlier FMs but he didn't seem to have developed as well as he should and didn't shine on loan, so he was earmarked for sale, too.

To make a long story short, I needed two strikers, an RB, and a CB. Would £30m be enough?

usfQ0hbh.png?1

As it turned out, more than enough, thanks to the loan market, and transfer-listed players. First choice up front was old favourite Patrick Cutrone who came on loan for half wages and no fee. Bargain!

Second signing was Florinel Coman, transfer listed for £4.5m. He took some persuading (and some promises that may come back to haunt me) but his signature was eventually secured. Also transfer listed was Jon Flanagan at Liverpool and at just £2.3m he looks like a bargain at RB. Filling the CB slot was rather more difficult and several targets, including Boro's Ben Gibson, turned us down in favour of bigger clubs. A cheap option emerged in the form of Tobias Figueiredo at Sporting - my scouts rated him highly but I wasn't sure. But when he became available as a cheap loan deal I decided to take a punt, and he's only there for cover/rotation.

At that point, I thought I was done but then RB Marcus Olsson suffered a pre-season hip injury that would keep him out for the first three months of the season (and just after I'd let third-choice LB Max Lowe go to Sunderland on loan). Looking through my scout reports I spotted Terence Kongolo transfer-listed at Monaco for less than £4m. I tend to like Dutch young players - they have a fantastic spread of attributes - so I made the move. Like Coman, he required some pretty optimistic promises but eventually succumbed. Kongolo is almost equally good at LB and CB so gives us great flexibility. Another bargain in my view.

Total cost of incoming players, £10.75m. With sales of Nick Blackman, Jacob Butterfield, Bradley Johnson, Ikechi Anya and Chris Martin bringing in a record £15.25m, we strengthened the squad and turned a £5m profit. We also got some big wages off the books, although contributions for some of the outgoing players had to be made. Unfortunately, Nugent attracted no interest, and returning loanee Jason Shackell was equally unwanted - together they're costing us more than £50,000 a week!

Almost forgot: we renewed the loan of Scott McTominay from Man Utd, who had deservedly won the Championship Young Player of the Year in season 1 so another year for absolutely nothing was literally a no-brainer.

Tactically, this is how we're setting up for the season:

e3Qmlxrh.png?1

As always, pre-season friendlies were disturbingly positive, where we won 7 out of 7, with a net score of 27-1. I have no doubt that reality will set in very soon. Our first Premiership match is against Liverpool.

Good luck @warlock Hopefully you’ve done enough to ensure you have a good season. 

What’s Weimann’s finishing attribute? Never really thought of him as a goal scorer tbh! 

Guys, I gave up the Wolves game - it was too easy. By March I had a lead of over 25 points over second place in the league. Thought I will enjoy something a bit more of a challenge.

I rewound back to the summer of 2018; this time I got the job at Bolton because their manager left to go to Aston Villa. This seems like far more of a challenge, severely mediocre & ageing squad, and low budgets to boot.

I am well into pre-season now and have been quite busy in the transfer market, selling off older players like Morais, Amos, Pratley, Henry, Cole, Taylor, Wilbraham, Fernandes. Totally raised around 2 million from all of this.

In terms of players in, only one permanent transfer which was the centre back Marc Roberts for 2.4 million from Birmingham. He should add some much needed pace at the back and slot in alongside Beevers.

Heavily used the loan market wherein I've brought in no less than 6 players from top division clubs, paying 50% of all of their wages. I am hoping that some of these guys can really contribute as we push for at least the play-offs this season - James Wilson, Harry Wilson, Josh Onomah, Mumamed Besic, Kyle Walker-Peters, Lys Mousset. 

Let's hope this game lasts longer!

5 hours ago, Gunner 101 said:

What’s Weimann’s finishing attribute? Never really thought of him as a goal scorer tbh! 

Here you go:

i0mTM1Fh.png?1

He's an oddity. Best position/role is AMR-winger, but his crossing is rubbish. But it's not a bad spread of attributes for a striker, I think. Decent pace and acceleration, good anticipation, and just-about-adequate first touch and finishing. Last season he scored 21 goals in 33 appearances, with another six assists.So far this season he has six goals in five appearances. Can't argue with results!

Great to see the amount of people posting updates at the moment and everyone seems to be doing well - keep up the good work guys!

@warlock I have Coman at Fulham and although he is not a first team player, he has consistently scored important winners and equalisers for me from the bench. Although not his natural position, I have also found him to be effective as an inside forward on the right wing. Hope he does well for you too. I've also seen Cutrone score hat-fulls of goals on loan at Prem teams on my saves so I expect he will do well for you. 

@karanhsingh I had Mousset on my previous long-term save with Blackburn and he was unreal - such a consistent finisher at all levels. Hope he can fire your Bolton side up the table.

@Dong21 Cheeers! I'm excited about Coman - barely seen him in action yet 'cos he picked up a pre-season injury that kept him out of the squad for the first couple of weeks. Cutrone I know pretty well having signed him in a couple of saves; he starts out good and just gets gooder :). I'll do my usual halfway post at Christmas but early signs are promising.

5 hours ago, warlock said:

Here you go:

i0mTM1Fh.png?1

He's an oddity. Best position/role is AMR-winger, but his crossing is rubbish. But it's not a bad spread of attributes for a striker, I think. Decent pace and acceleration, good anticipation, and just-about-adequate first touch and finishing. Last season he scored 21 goals in 33 appearances, with another six assists.So far this season he has six goals in five appearances. Can't argue with results!

Cheers pal! Not the best finishing stats for the level you’re at but if he scores, he scores at the end of the day! 

I'll just say this... **** me, this game is ridiculous. :P

So, by this point, I've been at Doncaster Rovers just over a year now. In that time, I've learnt a couple of things.

1 - Not spending any money on transfers can be entertaining..

2 - Along with 1, if you can get the players you buy to play well, and fit the formation you want to use, you can do things that even you won't believe.

This is why the next few screenshots tell the story.

20180705132202_1-300x159.jpg 20180705132211_1-300x159.jpg 20180705203547_1-300x159.jpg 20180705204319_1-300x159.jpg

I try not to get carried away, but, the win at Liverpool is one of the best I've ever had on FM, admittedly, Jurgen Klopp put out an under strength side, but, we went, played the exact same way as we have all season, and beat them. Our reward, is a trip to Villa Park to play Aston Villa, and, I'll back us to pull off the upset if they disrespect us.

In the league, its business as usual, 34 points clear of 2nd, having played a game more (with 17 games left for them), I could theoretically win the title in 6 games time, at the start of March, so, that is a target to go for.

As for transfers, there have been no incomings, nor outgoings, mainly due to trying to get the finances under control. Two players have announced their retirements, these being James Coppinger and Andy Butler.

The work has begun in ernest to scout out the next lot of players to aim for, as with last summer, I'm looking for players capable of playing in the top end of the Championship straight away, but, ones that are a little bit out of left field that may not be picked up by other clubs.

My analysts have so far picked out players near the end of contract in Spain and France (they recommend them to me as scouting targets), so I've spent a little bit of my budget on checking them out.

All being well, by the next update, we'll be promoted.

To top it all off, I think my takeover may have been a tycoon one :D

If he was going to do this, why not last month before the window opened??

20180705205818_1.thumb.jpg.7ab5588fb77d565cd2339ac6ef3e9918.jpg20180705210003_1.thumb.jpg.0e1f9343b814df6c7b8b45f8e6f9d314.jpg

51 minutes ago, robterrace said:

If he was going to do this, why not last month before the window opened??

Maybe he wanted to see whether you're worth investing in? And, obviously, you are!

I am playing something very similar. However with wing backs instead. How does inverted WBs work with inside forward? Doesn’t it all get too narrow?

*Before I start my August update I've done something stupid. I didn't load up below League Two so players I sent out on loan weren't playing games. Therefore I've had to recall Boney, Richards and Roache from loan. These players will be in the first team squad for this season now instead.

Wednesday 2nd August 2017

Checkatrade Trophy Groups Drawn

Blackpool have been drawn against Accrington Stanley (L2), Middlesbrough Under 23’s (U23 PD2) and Wigan Athletic (L1). Blackpool will start their Checkatrade Trophy campaign against Accrington on the 29th August 2017.

Thursday 3rd August 2017

Robertson Resumes Full Training

Clark Robertson has returned to full training following a groin strain. The central defender could feature in the first game of the season but will need to be closely monitored in order to minimise the risk of aggravating the injury.

Saturday 5th August 2017

Bradford City 0 – 1 Blackpool (League One)

Blackpool edged a narrow game against Bradford City, advanced forward Mark Cullen bagged the only goal of the game right after half time to ensure the Seasiders start the season with three points.

Blackpool MOTM: Jimmy Ryan (7.7) Deep lying playmaker Ryan contributed the assist and completed 76 out of 91 passes.

1100332283_BradfordCityvBlackpool.thumb.JPG.2499d31ff12a94a0d6360c06137a3a0e.JPG

Tuesday 8th August 2017

Blackpool 1 – 1 Burton Albion – Burton win 3 – 4 on penalties (Carabao Cup 1st Round)

Blackpool have been knocked out of the Carabao Cup at the first hurdle following a penalty shootout defeat to Championship side Burton Albion. Despite having the best of the game and taking the lead after 20 minutes through Max Clayton, unfortunately it wasn’t to be.

Blackpool MOTM: Hamza Choudhury (7.8) Deep lying playmaker Choudhury’s passing ability was clear to see has he completed 122 out of 135 passes.

2059980722_BlackpoolvBurtonAlbion.thumb.JPG.e8da63e96e9a05ca6ad7b752d8acf523.JPG

Saturday 12th August 2017

Blackpool 3 – 1 MK Dons (League One)

Blackpool bossed their game against MK Dons running out comfortable 3-1 winners. The highlight being a hat-trick for striker Mark Cullen, despite him also missing a penalty. Cullen missed from the spot however a minute later he made amends by tapping home. Cullen then smashed home a second on the 58th minute. A mix up in the box presented MK Dons with a chance to make it 2-1 before Cullen latched on to a long ball by Tilt and slotted home for his hat-trick on 83 minutes.

Blackpool MOTM: Mark Cullen (9.1) Advanced forward Mark Cullen turned in a quality performance to end the game with three goals.

2108842169_BlackpoolvMKDons.thumb.JPG.d4c5d32daf4ca6099e933557ed12f4ae.JPG

Taylor Resumes Training

Andy Taylor has returned to full time training following a fracture jaw which has kept him out of the start of the season. Seen as first choice left back at Blackpool, manager Timson will be delighted to see the experienced full back available again.

Tuesday 15th August 2017

Blackpool Players Named in Team of the Week

Blackpool goalkeeper Ben Williams and striker Mark Cullen have been selected for the League One Team of the Week following their performances between the 8th and 14th of August.

Saturday 19th August 2017

Doncaster Rovers 0 – 1 Blackpool (League One)

An even game was defined by a moment of quality as striker Mark Cullen picked up the ball before thundering home an effort from 23 yards on the 93rd minute.

Blackpool MOTM: Mark Cullen (8.1) The striker bagged the only goal of the game with a special effort from outside the box.

1853086949_DoncasterRoversvBlackpool.thumb.JPG.7aee1fa271c1e367a45a3909a2677052.JPG

Wednesday 23rd August 2017

Four Players called up for International Duty

Blackpool’s Emil Jaasklainen (Finland U21), Christoffer Mafoumbi (Congo), Sessi D’Almeida (Benin) and Dolly Menga (Angola) have been called up for international duty. Matches take place between the 30th August and 5th September.

Friday 25th August 2017

Nathan Delfouneso injured

Nathan Delfouneso has been ruled out for 8 to 10 days with pulled ankle ligaments following an attempted sprint in training. Delfouneso joins long term absentee Jim McAlister on an injury list that is currently the 21st lowest in League One.

Saturday 26th August 2017

Blackpool 1 – 0 Oldham Athletic (League One)

A late strike from Viv Solomon-Otabor ensured we made it 4 wins out of 4 and climbed to the top of League One.

Blackpool MOTM: Sessi D’Almeida (8.3) The ball winning midfielder, in for Jay Spearing, put in a good overall display mixing his passes well and covering a lot of ground. Sessi also laid on the assist for the only goal of the game.

1429100425_BlackpoolvOldhamAthletic.thumb.JPG.48f6e96f707480cf0a99dfcefe56f26a.JPG

Tuesday 29th August 2017

Blackpool 5 – 1 Accrington Stanley (Checkatrade Trophy Group B)

A highly professional performance ensured we ran out comfortable winners in this game. Only Ben Williams and Jay Spearing started from the ‘strongest 11’ which gave the fringe players a run out. Kyle Vassell, starting his first game of the season got us off to a great start poking home after two minutes before Max Clayton scored a hat-trick to make it 4-1. Left back Nick Anderton added a 5th with his first goal for the club. It was also a day to remember as highly rated centre back Denzel Williams made his senior debut.

Blackpool MOTM: Max Clayton (9.7) The right winger took his starting chance and came away with 3 goals and an assist.

1518478391_BlackpoolvAccringtonStanley.thumb.JPG.467abd7b532222366c7ed1459d5adc32.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fantastic start to the season with 4 wins out of 4 in the league. We're looking strong in defence with only 1 goal conceded putting us at the top of the league for goals conceded as well. Goals have been harder to come by but I'm pleased that we have managed to grind out the wins when needed. The defeat to Burton wasn't warranted but it's not a competition we had any hope in so I'm not too bothered. A strong win against Accrington put's us in a good position in the Checkatrade Trophy. 

No additional signings were made in August which was disappointing but I just couldn't find the right player and I didn't want to waste anything or bring in a player that wasn't going to be good enough. Ideally we could have done with another central defender but I've got 3 youngsters to step in should need be. 

Overview.thumb.JPG.f5874218b225ce11564d6d85a85c1d05.JPG

8 minutes ago, Gunner 101 said:

A fantastic start to the season with 4 wins out of 4 in the league.

Great start. Can't do better than that :applause:

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Great start. Can't do better than that :applause:

That's true! :lol:

Blackburn - Towards The Premiership!

I have 10 league matches left in my second season with Blackburn, and things are looking great so far. We are looking very good in the promotion races, and the team has generally been playing very well. 

6zG7WL3.png

The autumn was great, and we hardly lost, but winter part of the season has been a bit of a struggle. Still, we are the most scoring team, but still haven't been able to catch Wolves who are absolutely superb, even though they botched promotion last year. Charlie Mulgrew is still doing excellent, and though I sold a couple of defenders in the January window, we still do okay at the back.

In midfield, Joe Rankin-Costello is an absolute star. He has the highest average rating of any Championship player and has 12 assists from his role as deep lying playmaker.

pn1Y6NG.png

In attack, I am given a lot of playing time to Luke Ormerod who came through my academy last year, and he is doing well. I am hoping to turn him into a sort of Rooney Light with the ability to both assist my main striker or score himself, but I am spending a lot of training time on training his quickness right now. Still, I hope he can be a good Premiership striker for me, when that time arrives.

UjhHitu.png

I just had my second regen intake, and I got the greatest regen I have ever seen, I think. He had a four star CA when he came through, and the plan is to use him for the remainder of the season, as he is actually my best striker right off the bat at 15 years old! I have given him Elliott Bennett as a tutor to increase his determination, and I hope it wilk work.

r1KrCuj.png

VL0ApyK.png

Just now, Gunner 101 said:

Great stuff @Adzke and that regen is a great piece of luck for you. Good luck in your promotion push!

Thanks! And likewise! I had an epic battle with Blackpool myself last year! Won 4-0, and Luke Ormerod scored his first goal for the club! Keep us updated on your season!

Great updates everybody, and aren't you all doing very well - hardly any of you losing games!