Sports Interactive Community
CybrSlydr

FM18: Wide Midfielders

About the only one I can think of off-hand is Marc Albrighton of Leicester City FC.

I'm working on a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 and I'm desperate to find some natural Wide Midfielders but they're about as easy to find as hens teeth.  Wingers and Inside Forwards, everywhere but not a Wide Midfielder to spare!

EDIT:  Looks like Alejandro Chumacero can also fill in as a Wide Midfielder on the right - but he's not full-circle green.

EDIT 2:  I'm going to see if I can find some left/right footed Box-to-Box Midfielders and re-train them as Wide Mids.  Maybe that will work.

Edited by CybrSlydr

4 hours ago, CybrSlydr said:

About the only one I can think of off-hand is Marc Albrighton of Leicester City FC.

I'm working on a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 and I'm desperate to find some natural Wide Midfielders but they're about as easy to find as hens teeth.  Wingers and Inside Forwards, everywhere but not a Wide Midfielder to spare!

EDIT:  Looks like Alejandro Chumacero can also fill in as a Wide Midfielder on the right - but he's not full-circle green.

EDIT 2:  I'm going to see if I can find some left/right footed Box-to-Box Midfielders and re-train them as Wide Mids.  Maybe that will work.

You could also just disregard your assistant "valuable" opinion and play your so-called Wingers as WM regardless. That's what I used to do and still do. "Natural" WMs are more often than not just players too slow or not good enough at dribbling to be "natural" Wingers. Just disregard how full the circle is or if the player is supposedly overqualified for the role.

Edited by BMNJohn

One that comes to mind is Ward-Prowse from Southampton. I think he might only be accomplished not natural at RM but he certainly has the attributes for the wide mid role. 

I retrained Henderson for left wm on my Liverpool save on fm 17 also did same with bentacur in later seasons and also Koke from athletico Madrid is a natural across the midfield

10 hours ago, Stfc mason said:

Matty Taylor is a good Wide Midfielder 

He's also about 80

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 03:58, CybrSlydr said:

What is the purpose for wanting wide midfielders? Are you wanting to sit compact with two tight banks of 4 or are you wanting to counter? If looking to counter wingers IMO would be the better option.

I'm just asking as I am also playing a 4-4-2 & 4-1-4-1 on my Hamburg save and have 2 wingers and 2 wide midfielders for each side. I use the wingers whilst trying to get at teams and on counter tactics but use the wide midfielders when looking to sit tight & be hard to break down. Very good to have 2 of each option on the flanks IMO. Different approaches for different scenarios.

Pay less attention to the suitability circle and more to the attributes and ppms you want from a player. 

There isn't a penalty for passing someone out of position and if they have the attributes to play a role then they'll do well. 

Jeff king from Bolton and Greg olley from hull, both are CM/AMC but can be trained to play either flank, I use them as wide midfielder/ wide playmakers in a high tempo high press 4411 based on pochettino/ bielsa play style

Both are 22 and usually available on frees end of first season 

Lemar is a good candidate as ML. Not fast enough to be an out and out winger, but as a deep creator on the left side he creates havoc. 

Henderson as MR is also very good. I've retrained him there on my Liverpool saves ever since he joined the club. Stamina for a wide midfielder is hugely beneficial to the team.

Since I didn't specify, I'm playing as Celta Vigo.  Appreciate your folks input!

I'm now working on a 4-1-4-1/Counter formation so I'm going to use an IW(A) on the left and a W(S) on the right with FB(S) on both sides.  

But to answer the question up the page a bit - yes, I wanted the WM to have a more cohesive and defensive/compact 4-4-2 formation.

Edited by CybrSlydr

Does having a unnatural player in this position or a non-full green circle actually have any negatives to the way a player plays?

1 hour ago, scwiffy said:

Does having a unnatural player in this position or a non-full green circle actually have any negatives to the way a player plays?

Not necessarily. It can just mean his skills make him more suited to another role. But if he has the right attributes and PPMs, he should do fine.

Enrico Chiesa/Malcolm (Bordeaux is incredible too)...or the PSV South American Duo, Hirving Lozana, the 21 year old speed machine & Gaston Perira, who's versatileenough to play as an AMC but more effective in that Arjen Robben/Suso role, where he'll drift at evry opportunity in from the right flank onto his deadly left foot, play an inch perfect assist, score from a near impossible angle or arrive very late in the box to score a simple 7 yard tap in among a huge scramble in the oppositions box...Chiesa doesdeplete a lot of your starting budget & so deos Malcolm, but if you can afforf them., without selling too many players, but the other two are very cheap in comparison..snap em up before the big team come a calling...even compile match reports and you'll see what i mean...

another plus they can play anywhere in the three positions behing the striker...:)

Hirving Lozano is Mexican which is North American :brock:

But highly effective player on FM18, from what I've seen. I've often seen him go to Barcelona.