Sports Interactive Community

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do about the following?

I pre-ordered the game & constantly had issues with the game crashing, so much so that after restarting the game several times, I refused to play the Beta version. So Friday the full version was released & I download it & start playing but within a couple of weeks (game time) the game crashed!!

I have tried the usual, run my anti-virus, defragment & clean up my system! There is no sign of any virus & everything else runs as it should do, absolutely no issues!

Today I have tried playing twice & both times the game has crashed with a little pop-up screen saying in bold ‘Football Manager 2018 18.1.1f1040315 (staging) has stopped working 

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.’

With just a little box for ‘close program’.

Windows have not notified me of any solution!!

I have tried using less leagues & players but I’ve always been able to run previous editions of the game with the maximum leagues & players with absolutely no running issues.

It’s now got to the stage where I no longer want to try & play the game as it’s just a waste of my time because I know the game is just going to crash on me, has anyone got any ideas as to what I’m supposed to do to be able to actually play this years game?

I don’t have any extra packs loaded, just the basic game via Steam.

I’ve just uninstalled the game & am reinstalling so I will try again when I get the opportunity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was playing well and i have that same problem...the message says staging...and the screen is total white

Just got it myself (not the first time).  I've been saving regularly but this time it was at the review of match screen.....and of course, best performance of the season - 5-1 win.  grrrr.

10 hours ago, LfPc said:

I was playing well and i have that same problem...the message says staging...and the screen is total white

9 hours ago, Mervmeister said:

Same error for me :(

7 hours ago, stevedaytona said:

Just got it myself (not the first time).  I've been saving regularly but this time it was at the review of match screen.....and of course, best performance of the season - 5-1 win.  grrrr.

Please create your own threads describing your issues individually and we'll try to help. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

@Tipps, what kind of anti-virus program do you have installed? 

AVG Protection @Neil Brock

I have reloaded the game & am currently playing ok but I normally manage to get just a little further before it crashes & should be trying to play for most of this evening, so I’ll be sure to update you if / when it crashes again.

Okay AVG has been known to cause issues with the game, so I'd suggest reading and following the information below:

Keep us updated, thanks. 

The same problem has occurred on the 26th September 2017!! I was just past half-time & didn’t actually do anything to the action to adjust the game & it has just crashed!!

Sorry but all this stuff about different programs causing the problem & the anti virus could be causing the issues just don’t cut it! I have never had these issues with previous versions of the game despite running the same programs & anti virus & it is just becoming impossible to play the game anymore!!

I honestly hope you come up with a patch / update that solves this problem because being someone who is unable to work due to ill health, spending £30+ on something I can’t actually use is something I can ill afford to do & if this issue isn’t solved I won’t be able to justify purchasing the game in future & to say I’m disappointed with the current game situation is a massive understatement!!

I really hope you & your team get to solve this issue very soon @Neil Brock because the money spent on this purchase isn’t what I’d call value for money & I have no issues playing many other games on my system, only FM18 & I’d say that was unacceptable!!

Just because you didn't have an issue with AVG on a previous version of FM doesn't discount the fact you could this version. In the past we've had examples of the game becoming blocked by AVG after a Steam or FM update. 

Please try as stated above and let us know how you get on - it's the best way of knowing 100% if the issue is related to your anti-virus or not. Thanks,. 

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Just because you didn't have an issue with AVG on a previous version of FM doesn't discount the fact you could this version. In the past we've had examples of the game becoming blocked by AVG after a Steam or FM update. 

Please try as stated above and let us know how you get on - it's the best way of knowing 100% if the issue is related to your anti-virus or not. Thanks,. 

So do you want me to uninstall the game again, re-install it again & do whatever to my anti-virus & then restart my game from the beginning again? Or do you just want to try the anti-virus bit & then reload my game from the last save before the crash?

I’ll await your response @Neil Brock to save myself wasting hours again. So it could be a while before I get round to trying everything again. BTW, thank you for trying to help solve the issue.

Ah brilliant, so I’ve done as you requested & adjusted my anti-virus to make Steam & FM18 exceptions, I’ve uninstalled FM18, I’ve reinstalled FM18 & I’ve restarted FM18 from the start & as I’m just about to kick-off the first game of the season, the game crashes again & there’s another 4 hours wasted!!

I’m really sorry but I’m failing to see how this can be seen as acceptable & I’ve had enough of this game not running & it being my problem!!

I shall now be seeking for a refund from Steam & sadly this is the last time I shall ever attempt to play this game as I shan’t be wasting my time trying to play a game that clearly just doesn’t work!!

Just brilliant!! Steam are refusing to give a refund because I have ‘played’ more than 2 hours in the game!! The reason I’ve seemingly played so many hours is because I’ve had to leave the game running for so long during the day while I try to sort out the issues, uninstall the game, reinstall the game, adjust my settings, adjust my anti-virus & change the amount of leagues & players I’m trying to use (all to no avail!!)

So after 4 days of the official release & despite not being able to get anywhere near today’s real life date in the game, despite all the changes I have made & despite restarting the game from fresh on numerous occasions, it has become one of the biggest wastes of money & time in my recent life!! So I will now be requesting the help of Trading Standards to resolve this issue because things have got beyond a joke!!

Edited by Tipps

I'd suggest contacting help@sega.co.uk in regards to your issue.

If you still want support with the game I'll continue to try and help here. We've been able to resolve some 'random' crashes with users reinstalling their graphics card drivers and reinstalling their DirectX. Details on how to do both below:

Let us know how you get on if you try to do so. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

I'd suggest contacting help@sega.co.uk in regards to your issue.

If you still want support with the game I'll continue to try and help here. We've been able to resolve some 'random' crashes with users reinstalling their graphics card drivers and reinstalling their DirectX. Details on how to do both below:

Let us know how you get on if you try to do so. Thanks. 

Thank you Neil, I will give these suggestions one last try but I really am feeling like I’m banging my head against a brick wall. I don’t know when I’ll get round to doing your suggestions but I will try it.

I really do want to just play this game with no issues but by trying to rectify the issues myself I’m seemingly causing myself more harm when it comes to my consumer rights (which it actually feels like I have very little of right now).

@Neil Brock I have taken your advice with regards to uninstalling my graphics card but I now can’t restart my PC!!

I have been trying since last night with no success, the ‘starting windows’ screen just stays on there!!

I had to manually shut the PC down last night & when I boot it up it tells me that it can restart at a previous date, it does that, tells me there are some ‘windows updates’ to do by restarting my PC, so I try that & I’m back to square one, left with the ‘starting windows’ screen for hours until I force another shut down because nothing is happening with it!!

I never had any issues with my PC before I installed FM18 & now having followed the advice to try & get the game working as it should be, my PC is now unusable!! I’m at a loss as to what I’m supposed to do, I cannot believe the mess that I have been left with!! I’m desperate for help, I’d settle right now for just having my PC working but that seems to be a very long way away right now!!

What am I supposed to do? Please help!!

23 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

I have tried that many many many times, I have managed to run some scans that showed that I have no ‘bad sectors’ but it still couldn’t be repaired automatically!!

So I have this morning decided to take it to my local computer repair shop & they have told me straight away it is a problem with Microsoft update on Windows 7 machines causing problems & they’ve had several units in over the last week or so!!

I’m currently looking at about £140 to get this problem sorted and I’m dubious about knowing what I can do in future especially with regards to if it’s going to be safe to run FM again as I can’t afford to continue to pay out £140+ for the game / Microsoft to crash my system.

I’m not sure if this problem has anything to do with FM18 crashing or no & they are intertwined or no but it maybe worth you guys looking into?

Edited by Tipps

I know this sounds like the sort of thing we'd definitely say either way to cover our own arses, but I don't think FM is culpable. All FM can potentially do is put a high demand on a system (like any processor or graphically intensive game can). The fact they've deduced that there's a Microsoft update problem I'm afraid would point the finger squarely at a Windows problem. 

I would imagine that once this issue is fixed, the drivers will be able to be installed and all programs (including FM) will be able to be run without issue from that point on. I would make it clear with them to give you some kind of guarantee/warranty that if any kind of similar issue occurs in x amount of days (depending on your consumer right etc) that if any similar issue occurs afterwards they'd repair it without further charge. 

Really sorry you've had to go through all this. My laptop is currently being repaired by Dell (thankfully was under warranty) after the processor and motherboard started failing :( That's the thing with computer systems; when they run fine it's fantastic, but as soon as you have any kind of issue it can become a right old pain. Do let us know how you get on with the repairs. Thanks. 

Hi @Neil Brock

So I have this afternoon had my PC returned to me, it has been completely wiped clean & Windows reinstalled!! I have had to reinstall Steam & FM18.

I have managed to get to just about an hour into the first game of the season & the game has crashed on me again, this time with 2 new issues!!

One is : Fatal Error

D3D Device was removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET, this usually indicates a driver bug, or GPU hardware failing/overheating, if you were running a game at the time of this error then the game may of triggered a driver bug or caused your GPU to overheat. Big Picture must exit.

Any ideas on this?

And then there is this one at the same time........

Football Manager 2018 18.1.3f1045020 (live) has stopped working 

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

This has wasted another 5 hours at least, I have had no reply from the Sega email address you gave me to complain to & I really am at my wits end with this game! I literally have a completely clean system, what more can I possibly do?

I've heard updating your BIOS can help with the D3D device error, would suggest starting out by doing that. Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

I've heard updating your BIOS can help with the D3D device error, would suggest starting out by doing that. Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

I’m sorry but this all seems ridiculous just to play a game that I have managed to play all previous versions of & having read how to do this I could run the risk of ruining my computer & ending up with having to take it in for repair again!! And I can’t run that risk as I simply can’t afford to have to keep getting my system repaired in the hope that one day I might be able to play FM18!!

Sega said they would be back in contact within 24 hours, that was over 10 days ago now & I’ve simply had enough of it all!!

I shall be deleting Steam & FM18 & never buying another version again & through the joys of social media, I shall make sure that anyone who hasn’t already be affected by this game & the poor customer service that I’ve received (I say that in the loosest terms) that they don’t get robbed of their money by purchasing this poor excuse of a game!!

And having been away from this forum while my system was forced to be repaired following the issues I’ve had with this game, I can see that there are still many many people who are unable to play this game & I simply find that extraordinary!!

Well you’ve had the last of my money & I would hazard a guess, many other peoples money too, I hope the makers have made enough out of robbing the ordinary people because I think it’s disgusting!!

I’ll carry on playing other games to pass the time through my disability, I hope Sega / Sigames are proud of themselves!!

I can understand your frustration but search the forum for "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET" and you'll see no-one else has had this issue for FM18. You are having problems specifically with your system. The fact you're doing so whilst playing FM is coincidental. FM is a demanding game so if a system is having issues, when running highly intensive programs, like top-end games or demanding graphical programs you're more likely to have the system malfunction. 

I'm sorry you've had these issues and we've responded to every message you've posted here - we're not IT consultants we're just providing support for running of the game. I'm afraid our hands are tied if the system itself is having issues.

If you have a ticket number for your Sega contact, we can chase up why they failed to respond to you in good time. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

I can understand your frustration but search the forum for "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET" and you'll see no-one else has had this issue for FM18. You are having problems specifically with your system. The fact you're doing so whilst playing FM is coincidental. FM is a demanding game so if a system is having issues, when running highly intensive programs, like top-end games or demanding graphical programs you're more likely to have the system malfunction. 

I'm sorry you've had these issues and we've responded to every message you've posted here - we're not IT consultants we're just providing support for running of the game. I'm afraid our hands are tied if the system itself is having issues.

If you have a ticket number for your Sega contact, we can chase up why they failed to respond to you in good time. 

Thanks. 

I’m not blaming you Neil, I understand that you’re just trying to help out the many of us who are having issues with FM18, I have literally had nothing from Sega in response to my email to them, nothing returned to me to say it hasn’t been delivered etc & this is what I mean by a lack of customer service, their lack of anything & Steam response that hours put into the game meaning that I’m not entitled to a refund despite me not being able to play beyond a certain stage & the reason I’ve clocked up so many hours is because I’ve been trying to fix the problems.

This latest issue of two problems is one new issue & one which is the same as other people have / are having. Has this game really been changed so much from all the previous versions? My specs are all fine & within the specs listed for the game.

When you contacted Sega, when they first responded they would have assigned you a 'Ticket Number' - you can check the email you received and let me know what the number was so I can chase this up? 

Your system is absolutely within the specs to run the game, but if the system is having a technical problem - which the BSOD certainly suggests, then essentially all bets are off. Any program running on a system which is having problems can behave in unknown ways. 

Have you tried playing any other games since you started having these BSOD errors? Do you encounter the same issues with them? 

Here is the email I sent to help@sega.co.uk on 14/11/17

Hi, 

I have been advised to contact you regarding ongoing issues I have had since purchasing & downloading FM18!!

I pre-ordered the game via Steam so I could have the benefit of early access via the Beta version, when the Beta version came out downloaded it & more or less as soon as I started playing it I came across issues!! The game crashed on me & just shut my system down!! I tried again & the same happened & at this stage I thought I would just leave it until the full version was released, which it was on 10-11-17, I downloaded the full version in the hope that the problems were behind me, how wrong was I!!

Within about 4 hours of playing & at about September 2017 in gameplay time, the game had crashed on me again!! So I tried again & had a similar problem after a similar amount of time so I browsed the sigames forums to try & find out what was going on, when I did this I discovered I wasn’t the only person who was having issues, infact there are lots & lots of people having problems!!

I was advised by Neil Brock (an administrator for the forum) that I needed to uninstall the game & reinstall it & restart the game from the beginning!! This resulted in exactly the same problems!! So I did it again & had exactly the same problems again!! I was then advised to do it all again but to also change the settings on my anti-virus!! It made no difference, the game crashed again!!

At this stage I was at a loss for what I was supposed to do & tried to get a refund via Steam but their sole response was that I had played more than 2 hours & it wasn’t their policy to issue refunds after more than 2 hours gameplay!! I had actually logged over 35 hours but the furthest I have ever got in the game is September 2017 before the game crashed on numerous occasions!!

I was then informed by Neil Brock that I needed to delete my graphics card & restart my system before reinstalling the graphics card!! Unfortunately at the stage of following his instructions on deleting my graphics card, it resulted in my system trying for about 2 hours to restart!! I then had to force a restart & now my system won’t shut down on it’s own or restart, my computer is now completely ruined!!

This is a system that I have never had any issues with in the past, I have never had any viruses & I have never had any issues with previous Football Manager games or any other games for that matter, having persevered with the game rather than just giving up & asking for my money back has now meant that Steam think I have happily been enjoying the game (nothing could be further from the truth) & having followed the instructions of your forums administrator, my PC is completely ruined, I have had to give up trying to solve the issues I have because I have got so frustrated with having to force the system to shut down, to run repairs on it to try & get it to work for it to be completely unusable!! I am completely devastated at the mess this game in essence has left my PC, I have never experienced anything like this & as someone who is unable to work because of ill health after an accident some 2 & a half years ago that left me with a broken back & sternum, the waste of the £28 on the purchase of the game is bad enough but I now have no idea it is going to cost me to try & get my computer repaired, something that being unable to physically work, I can ill afford to be able to pay for!!

I purchased this game in the hope that it would help alleviate the many hours of boredom that I now suffer through but I didn’t anticipate that this game would cause me so many problems & cost me who knows how much in repairing my PC!!

I had played this game franchise for many many years & never had any technical issues but this version has totally ruined any faith I had in the franchise & I will never be purchasing another version of the game, I was massively upset at the fact that I had wasted £28+ on this game but I’m now totally distraught that my PC is basically unusable & is going to cost me however much it is going to cost me to get it back in a working order where I can actually use it again!!

I have been left less than impressed with the customer service I have received since these issues have started & I’m hoping that now Neil Brock (sigames / Sports Interactive forum administrator) has given me this email address in the hope of helping me solve the many issues I have encountered that you are able to try & help me because as things currently stand, I’m at a loss for what I’m supposed to do & the only thing I can really see available to me is me going through Trading Standards because there is no way that having purchased a computer game I should be left in the mess that I currently find myself!!

The whole experience has been unacceptable & I’m really hoping that you are able to re-establish my faith in the company that used to make such a great product!!

I have tried everything to get this game to run ‘properly’ & I have wanted this game to work properly more than anyone else out there, just so I can pass away the many hours of boredom that I face while waiting for the new version of Football Manager to be released but all this version has done is bring me frustration, anger & ultimately destroyed one of the few bits of technology I own that can help me through the days & I’m now unable to use!!

Please help me, I don’t how but this situation is unacceptable, if I was the only person or one of very few people to suffer with this issue I could maybe accept that it was my fault or my systems fault but I have never experienced such a situation & having viewed the FM forum, there are lots & lots of people that the game isn’t working for!!

I’m dreading turning my PC on again tomorrow because I just don’t want to have to face a system that is unusable knowing that it is going to frustrate the living daylights out of me but ultimately I need my system working because I can’t afford for it to not work as it’s sadly the hub of my life & has so much of my life on it!!

I really am at a loss for what I am supposed to do next!

Yours frustrated & upset

Nick Tippins 

I have not had any response from Sega! I have not had the email sent back to me or anything.

I have just run BIOS update but is now stopping me from starting my system again!! I can’t afford to keep having my system in the workshop for repair! It’s simply not an affordable thing to be doing all in the hope of being able to play a game.

I really am at my wits end with it all now Neil.

Okay thanks, I'm looking into why there hasn't been a response from Sega. 

As I asked you previously, have you tried playing any other games since you started having these BSOD errors? Do you encounter the same issues with them? 

Hi Neil,

Sorry for the delay in response, I have had no issues playing any other games on my system but having just had my PC back, I tried updating my BIOS but encountered more start-up problems so have had to take it in for repair again although they have said I shouldn’t of needed to update my BIOS!

I have today 1/12/17 had a reply from Sega from my email to them 14/11/17!!

On 05/12/2017 at 09:00, Neil Brock said:

So what's the situation now for you with the game? 

I received my PC back yesterday, completely clean with Windows reinstalled, updated BIOS & updated my graphics drive...........

Managed to get to the match after the first summer transfer window shut & CRASH!!

I haven’t even installed any other games onto the system yet, FM18 was the first thing I installed after start-up.

4 days & no reply, do I assume from this that there is no possibility of a fix?

I have also had no further reply from Sega with regards to a refund but then it took them over 2 weeks to reply to my original email so I guess I shouldn’t expect anything to soon!

So out of desperation for this game to work properly & to allow me to play it as it should be played, I have tried once again to play from the start, by reinstalling the game again & starting from the very beginning again (I’ve lost count just how many times I have done this) but once again, the game crashes on me after I’ve wasted at least 4 hours of my life (again)!!

I’m at a loss for what exactly I’m supposed to do to just play a computer game that I have paid good money for, the game & it’s glitches & faults have cost me more hours & more money than I care to calculate & I just find it all very unacceptable.

My system ran perfectly for years prior to me installing FM18 & since installing FM18 I have been unable to get beyond November of the first season EVER!! Not because I’ve been sacked but because the game has crashed on me every time & this is the thanks I get for pre-ordering the game!! And because I pre-ordered the game & was lucky (that’s sarcasm by the way) enough to get the Beta version, which also constantly crashed on me, I kept the game in the hope that the faults would be rectified but alas, the full version of the game was released & exactly the same issues happened but after doing as advised by the staff on this forum, my system developed issues with being unable to start, which required me to send my system in for repair at a cost of £80 to have Windows reinstalled as even they couldn’t fix the issue!!

And even with a completely clean system & everything being updated to the latest versions (BIOS & Graphics) the game still won’t play as it should!!

I could maybe accept that this situation is a one off & I’ve just been unlucky but it’s not just me, it’s not just my system, there are many many people with the same or similar issues to mine & none of those people are able to play a product properly that they’ve paid for!!

But because I have persevered with trying to fix the games issues & I’ve continued to try & play the game in the hope of a miracle cure, Steam won’t refund me my money because I’ve played more than 2 hours!! To play less than 2 hours on this game would probably mean deciding to do away with this game after putting the ‘managers info’ in & doing the ‘welcome to the club gumph’ but because I got beyond that point I’m not allowed my money back!! 

I was told to email help@sega.co.uk I did this & eventually got a reply after about 2 weeks, I responded to their email reply to me within an hour but I’m now 10 days & waiting for another reply (assuming they’ll bother?)

I have had more or less every version of FM & NEVER had an issue before, I’m at a loss for what is expected from me to be able to play this game, there just doesn’t seem to be any damn given by anyone connected with this game & it’s seemingly accepted that the people have paid their money for a product that doesn’t work but it’s acceptable & us mere paying public have no choice but to accept this inferior product & there is nothing we can do about it!!

Well it’s not acceptable, no matter what you think!!

I really am at a loss for anything connected to this game & it’s franchise but be assured, I’ve wasted my last penny on this game & franchise, the whole scenario is a joke but sadly it’s not one I can laugh about!!

I truly hope that those people sat in their office counting their money from the proceeds of this version of the franchise are very proud of themselves & they have a thoroughly enjoyable Christmas from the proceeds of this fraud of a game because I’ll take a wild guess that this years version will be the last one before their takings drop off drastically because people refuse to be conned again by Sega & Sigames!!

Edited by Tipps

We released 18.2.0 yesterday, is this still the case for you? 

Let us know either way, thanks. 

On 15/12/2017 at 12:30, Neil Brock said:

We released 18.2.0 yesterday, is this still the case for you? 

Let us know either way, thanks. 

Nope!! Still crashing!! But this time with this

18.2.0f1050224 (staging) has stopped working 

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

And again does it appear random, or is it at a specific point? 

It probably went a bit further than before (after the first transfer window shuts) but still didn’t get anywhere near Christmas of the first season (as a landmark target). I think it was into November.

So it’s random.

And did it reproduce on exactly the same date when you tried to play through? Or in 18.2.0 does it just happen after a random period of time? 

Before 18.2 was released it would crash before the first transfer window shut, after 18.2 was released it allowed me to play a bit longer (into November) but then crashed.

It all seems random, different dates & on different screens.

On 17/12/2017 at 14:16, Tipps said:

Before 18.2 was released it would crash before the first transfer window shut, after 18.2 was released it allowed me to play a bit longer (into November) but then crashed.

It all seems random, different dates & on different screens.

And it's still crashing now in 18.2.1? Again do you get a crash dump or is it just a generic crash message? Can you please send us your Belarc? Details here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2018/134_how-to/138_pc/how-to-find-my-belarc-file-r402/

Thanks. 

I have just had it crash again before the first transfer window shuts but I have a new message (the bottom one)

image.thumb.jpg.0a5963a10bd4684af3be743d1fd7abf0.jpg

Belarc has now been sent (hopefully).

Edited by Tipps

I have tried replaying this current game from the saves & while I could possibly go a month & a half (from the initial load up of the game), I can only go a couple of days (from the save game) & it’s just impossible to play even with the settings put to auto save every week.

Let me know if you have any further updates because until that time I won’t be wasting anymore of my life on something that doesn’t work!!

Just to confirm on this one, did you ever fully uninstall AVG and uninstall and reinstall FM? 

5 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to confirm on this one, did you ever fully uninstall AVG and uninstall and reinstall FM? 

Yes I did.