FM18: Man Utd - Awaken the Sleeping Devil 👹 !

goqs06

Agree with the above. I tend to play with one IF and one Winger. Also, using the 'Demand More' shout works wonders for me to break down stubborn teams.

First season for me ended up winning the Premier League on the last day of the season by 3 points ( after season a 10 point lead diminish as the season end came near) and beat Arsenal in the final of the FA Cup. Champions League, got knocked out narrowly by Barca though, but all in all, good season to start with. It was a struggle, but we got through it. Had only signed 2 players for the first season (Rugani and Tierney) and shipped out Blind and Smalling. Lukaku is a beast as a poacher, got him scoring 37 in the Premier League.

Started the 2nd season nicely, signed Alexis Sanchez on a free, McKennie (can't remember how much i paid for him) and Odriozola for £35.5 mil. Also signed Viganto and loaned him out to Birmingham for a season. Top of the league after 12 games.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, iskillz said:

Agree with the above. I tend to play with one IF and one Winger. Also, using the 'Demand More' shout works wonders for me to break down stubborn teams.

First season for me ended up winning the Premier League on the last day of the season by 3 points ( after season a 10 point lead diminish as the season end came near) and beat Arsenal in the final of the FA Cup. Champions League, got knocked out narrowly by Barca though, but all in all, good season to start with. It was a struggle, but we got through it. Had only signed 2 players for the first season (Rugani and Tierney) and shipped out Blind and Smalling. Lukaku is a beast as a poacher, got him scoring 37 in the Premier League.

Started the 2nd season nicely, signed Alexis Sanchez on a free, McKennie (can't remember how much i paid for him) and Odriozola for £35.5 mil. Also signed Viganto and loaned him out to Birmingham for a season. Top of the league after 12 games.

What tactic(s) did you use?

im trying to get a 4-2-3-1 going but struggling deciding on the right roles for the CMs and also the right role for Lukaku up front, any suggestions?

5 hours ago, Jon MUFC said:

What tactic(s) did you use?

im trying to get a 4-2-3-1 going but struggling deciding on the right roles for the CMs and also the right role for Lukaku up front, any suggestions?

That's the formation I play to, tactics really depend on the situation and who you're  playing. I cant post a screenshot right now as I'm at work, but I player Lukaku as a poacher. If I'm playing at home, I play Mata behind him as an AP and usually have Pogba as a BBM in support mode and Herrera playing as a BWM in defensive mode. Playing away, I try not to play with any players as playmakers and have Miki behind Lukaku as an AM and 2 BWM's in the centre.

If I'm playing a big team away from home, I drop the AM completely and play a 3rd BWM in defense mode behind 2 BWM's in support mode. When playing this formation, I have Lukaku down as a target man, but he's nowhere near as effective as a TM, he's really good as a poacher, especially when you have a winger who can put in a good ball. Lingard was my assist king last season, constantly putting in good crosses for him to get on the end of.

1 hour ago, iskillz said:

That's the formation I play to, tactics really depend on the situation and who your playing. I cant post a screenshot right now as I'm at work, but I player Lukaku as a poacher. If I'm playing at home, I play Mata behind him as an AP and usually have Pogba as a BBM in support mode and Herrera playing as a BWM in defensive mode. Playing away, I try not to play with any players as playmakers and have Miki behind Lukaku as an AM and 2 BWM's in the centre.

If I'm playing a big team away from home, I drop the AM completely and play a 3rd BWM in defense mode behind 2 BWM's in support mode. When playing this formation, I have Lukaku down as a target man, but he's nowhere near as effective as a TM, he's really good as a poacher, especially when you have a winger who can put in a good ball. Lingard was my assist king last season, constantly putting in good crosses for him to get on the end of.

That's interesting, cheers! Do you find you create enough without any playmakers in the side away from home? Pogba as box to box could be an idea...

What about mentality? I've tried control but don't seem to be creating many goalscoring chances, usually just end up having long shots from outside the box.

1 hour ago, Jon MUFC said:

That's interesting, cheers! Do you find you create enough without any playmakers in the side away from home? Pogba as box to box could be an idea...

What about mentality? I've tried control but don't seem to be creating many goalscoring chances, usually just end up having long shots from outside the box.

To be honest, I usually go with Rui Faria's advice on mentality. Its usually standard for away games. If we look like we're not creating chances during a match and the opposition are creating chances, I go counter. The BWM's usually break up the play and play forward to Lukaku and at pace too.

Against weaker away teams, I play Match as DLP sometimes behind 2 BWM's so he can play balls to the attackers.

Oh and long shots are still going to occur when you have the likes of Pogba and Herrera in the team. I don't know if you already do this, but I tend to adjust tactics during the game. Majority of the matches, I have the team play from the back and work the ball in the box. 

At home, I tend to play control from the start and see how the game goes before adjusting it.

I do think frequent long shots are part of the game engine though and i dont think there's a way of stopping that. 

2 weeks in and I’ve done a fair bit of business. I’ve brought in a lot of staff and youngsters and have sold miki, mata, Lingard, young, Fellaini, Romero, smalling and darmian. 

My big signings (apart from a lot of youngsters) have been dier, Alexis goretzka and rugani

Confused on why people are selling off Mata, Miki and Lingard as they are actually pretty good in the game. I would definitely keep them around, unless they don't fit in a system.

In my second season, I'm looking to start blooding in the young talent. United have a good few youngsters in the team with the likes of Gomes, McTominay, Gribbin, Chong, Burkhart, O'Connor, DJ Buffonage, Pugimal, Henderson and Traore. Also looking to get Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah some minutes in cup games. I'm trying to bring back the Alex Ferguson days. Feels a lot more rewarding building up players in comparison to splashing out the cash.

8 hours ago, iskillz said:

Confused on why people are selling off Mata, Miki and Lingard as they are actually pretty good in the game. I would definitely keep them around, unless they don't fit in a system.

In my second season, I'm looking to start blooding in the young talent. United have a good few youngsters in the team with the likes of Gomes, McTominay, Gribbin, Chong, Burkhart, O'Connor, DJ Buffonage, Pugimal, Henderson and Traore. Also looking to get Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah some minutes in cup games. I'm trying to bring back the Alex Ferguson days. Feels a lot more rewarding building up players in comparison to splashing out the cash.

I agree with that, lingard has been one of my best players, and Mata has been good as well, I did sell mkhi after 2 seasons but that’s because I brought Dybala.

Yes Man Utd have some got great youths players, at moment I’ve got tuanzebe, gribbin, traore and Henderson in my 1st team, all getting quite a few games, Henderson is a great back up to de Gea. I found that mctominany’s attributes don’t really improve though so I’m going to have to sell him. And got Gomes and pigimal out on loan.

15 hours ago, iskillz said:

I’ve had a huge change of plan-I pulled out of selling Lingard and mata and have pulled out of signing Alexis and rugani

For some reason I just can't score goals at home in the league...recent results:

United 0-0 Bournemouth
United 0-0 Watford
United 0-1 Newcastle

Really shocking, having 20+ shots a game but only a handful on target, just can't find a way to break teams down despite taking on board the advice above. Sat in 7th in the league, only played 15 and already lost 4 and drawn 4 overall. Sack incoming I feel...

1 hour ago, Jon MUFC said:

For some reason I just can't score goals at home in the league...recent results:

United 0-0 Bournemouth
United 0-0 Watford
United 0-1 Newcastle

Really shocking, having 20+ shots a game but only a handful on target, just can't find a way to break teams down despite taking on board the advice above. Sat in 7th in the league, only played 15 and already lost 4 and drawn 4 overall. Sack incoming I feel...

Have you adjusted the coaches responsibilites, i.e. have coaches focus on their strengths be it attacking, defending or technical? When I made changes to the staff  and had coaches training their strongest areas, I found my team started to perform better. 

18 hours ago, sedge11 said:

I agree with that, lingard has been one of my best players, and Mata has been good as well, I did sell mkhi after 2 seasons but that’s because I brought Dybala.

Yes Man Utd have some got great youths players, at moment I’ve got tuanzebe, gribbin, traore and Henderson in my 1st team, all getting quite a few games, Henderson is a great back up to de Gea. I found that mctominany’s attributes don’t really improve though so I’m going to have to sell him. And got Gomes and pigimal out on loan.

Traore in the first team after 2 seasons. Would like to see how his Mental and Technical stats develop on the 3rd season as I would have thought he would need a good 3 seasons as a loanee before getting anywhere near the 1st team based off his original stats?

This is my first football manager and my preseason has been tight-1-0, 2-1 and 3-3. Not sure if this is the same for everyone but just wanted some advice if I’m doing anything obviously wrong. Bailly is injured. I’ve brought in a lot of staff and have loaned out a lot of youngsters. I’ve sold smalling, young, darmian and am close to selling miki. I’ve brought in dier, pellegri, grotezka and a lot of other youngsters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

image.jpg

2 hours ago, iskillz said:

Traore in the first team after 2 seasons. Would like to see how his Mental and Technical stats develop on the 3rd season as I would have thought he would need a good 3 seasons as a loanee before getting anywhere near the 1st team based off his original stats?

He obviously still needs a lot of work, but I have had Matic tutor him, now I have Pogba tutoring him. This is how he looks in feb of the 3rd season, and he hasn't done too badly when he has played.

traore.thumb.jpg.47bd6b06b1824be721448ab0e5193221.jpg

I'm in February of season 3 and can honestly say i'm loving this years game.It's taken a couple of saves but I've finally settled on a tactic that is stable home and away.

YkSTp93.jpg?1

I finally managed to buy Dele Alli in season 3 January transfer window for £80m.I don't know how anybody else faired trying to buy him but I only managed to get him for less than £100m because Spurs failed to get into Europe in season 2 and he wanted to leave for Continental football.Still bloody expensive but he'll be worth it and he's English.

CZ4Wjgw.jpg?1

Here are a couple of players that I would highly recommend anybody to buy.

First up is Arthur who I bought for £24m from Gremio in the 1st transfer window, he plays as CM(S) with some heavily modified PPM's and he just controls the Midfield

7mBxtne.jpg?1

Secondly is Thomas Buitink who I bought from Vitesse in Holland for £8m at the start of season 3, he'll be a beast in a couple of seasons but still gets a few games whenever I need to rest my main striker Andre Silva.

cuKoXpq.jpg?2

3 current United youngsters that I think can make it in my first team

x8SVhKb.jpg?1

4x0Bn8g.jpg?1

4s7zZgR.jpg?1

Hi Guys,

Can someone help me with training, with individual and team training?

I'm new to the game so don't have much knowledge. 

Im looking to play with 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3. What are the best player roles for both formations? I feel i am getting this wrong so I am getting beat my small teams :(

Struggling to get the best out of any player who plays in the no. 10 role in my 4-2-3-1. Have used both Mata and Pogba there as AP(s), but neither average ratings are great and neither have an assist to their name yet (and we're in January!)

All my assists seem to come from crosses, which is fine, but I do want my no. 10 to also threaten and have a goal threat. Any ideas?

Third season over and it was fantastic.Unbeaten in the league.We were brilliant.

AWZPlll.jpg?1

Carabao Cup was over pretty quickly.

GsOejIX.jpg?1

FA Cup win on penalties.

zICXL2E.jpg?1

The best of all though,Champions League.

GThTYmv.jpg?1

Squad going into season 4

mA1xXaW.jpg?1

I can't get Pogba to unlearn his longshots PPM so i'm actively looking to sell him in the transfer window possibly with Rugani also as he keeps asking to move to a bigger club, although that might stop now as we've just won in Europe.

My only transfer in is Afonso Sousa for £15m rising to £30m upon certain landmarks.

SxwSK3K.jpg?1

That will be it for transfers in as I've failed FFP for wages for the last 2 seasons and another one will see a points deduction.

Lastly I have Spencer English who has spent the season on loan at Bournemouth and has been called up to the England squad for the Euro Camps.

La0Ecel.jpg?1

He will be in my 1st team squad for season 4 which might mean that i'll look to get crazy money for Martial as I want English to develop.

So the 3rd season is finished and it was a great season where we won the league and champions league double.

So we won the title back after finishing 2nd in the 2nd season, it was a great season where we scored 107 goals and only conceded 21, we were top the whole season and always had a gap of 6-9 points from Aresnal.

5a4a43007bfe7_season3table.thumb.jpg.9dc08e00930b8e90565adfee8eb77e72.jpg

We had 7 players in the team of the year, which I think is the most I've ever had, but slightly disappointed that Ibe who had 2 goals and 5 assists got in over Lingard who had 10 goals and 16 assists. As you can see from the player stats for the league Dybala was class as expected, Bailly and De Vrij formed a formidable partnership and both chipped in with goals, Gribbin also had a good season playing quite a few games, but my standout player had to be LINGARD, he has had 2 decent seasons but this 3rd season he was class, he had 13 goals and 19 assists in all comps, him and Dybala formed a great parntership as well. 

5a4a4314c26f4_teamoftheyear.thumb.jpg.dc466765ec045c9b27247253991b5022.jpg 5a4a430f881f6_season3stats.thumb.jpg.68da30fa2e7ec3d5c4192a4cf2b322c4.jpg

Here was our champs league run, faced some tough teams, but had some brilliant wins, finishing up with beating Chelsea 2-0 in the final.

5a4a4303397ae_champsleaguerun.thumb.jpg.1e1571a0b723eaafcda478b6290f2c6e.jpg

The only downside of the season was we went out of both domestic cups early losing in both to lIverpool, which was annoying, Chelsea ended up winning both cups.

Also worth nothing that my under 18s won both the fa youth cup and under 19s champs league.

So in 3 seasons so far we have won 2 league titles, 2 fa cups and 1 champs league, very happy so far.

Plans for season 4

Smalling wants a new challenge so will leave, Neves wants to go to Barca and I didn't play him much so he can go, and I may also sell Lukaku. I need a right back as Valencia will be going into his final year and I don't have anyone else, Semedo is probably who I am going to go for, also Phil Jones is leaving spurs on a free so I may re sign him as a back up. I'm also going to sign another Dm as like Valencia, Matic will be in his final year so need someone else as Neves will go. Also Spurs didn't qualify for europe so Kane maybe available, I don't really need him so will see on that one.

Youngsters wise, Henderson, Tuanzebe, Traore and Gribbin all had good seasons and will get more games next season, I will also be promoting a couple of regens in Everitt who is a right back, he's been on loan so he can come back and be a back up as Valencia has only 1 season left and then James who is my best regen and has been tearing it up in the under 18s, he will rightly be promoted.

james.thumb.jpg.7b5dd70f15df0a6ef3b9a6d5d7c28b70.jpg

9 hours ago, axehan1 said:

Sousa's WP was refused damnit.Carlos Soler is available for £20m and I have plenty of cash as Rugani has just gone to PSG for £100m

I’d definitely recommend Soler. I’ve played 10 league games and he’s had an average rating of 8.24.

How did you get £100 million for rugani? I can’t even sell miki for £15 million

On 31/12/2017 at 17:58, Jon MUFC said:

Struggling to get the best out of any player who plays in the no. 10 role in my 4-2-3-1. Have used both Mata and Pogba there as AP(s), but neither average ratings are great and neither have an assist to their name yet (and we're in January!)

All my assists seem to come from crosses, which is fine, but I do want my no. 10 to also threaten and have a goal threat. Any ideas?

Lingard or gribbin could be the answer. I always go ap support or am support

16 minutes ago, LM MUFC said:

I’d definitely recommend Soler. I’ve played 10 league games and he’s had an average rating of 8.24.

How did you get £100 million for rugani? I can’t even sell miki for £15 million

£70m upfront and £30m in instalments.You should be able to get £40m for Mkhi.

And so it beginnings. The new year is here. I now have the new Football Manager (it is always my "if no one knows what to get me, say this!" xmas gift ) :p

Spent 5hrs just trying to decide how to set up my tactics etc and not even of the first day yet. This gonna take up all my post-christmas time i think. lol. Heard a lot of good things about this version so looking forward to really getting going.

I'd said in a previous post I was considering selling Pogba because I couldn't get him to unlearn "long shots" from his list of PPM'S.

RSZCmR6.jpg?1

He went to Bayern for £63m rising to £90m.Rugani also went for a fantastic £100m so I am now safe from FFP after failing in my previous 2 seasons.

My intention was to get Afonso Sousa but he failed to get his WP.I then toyed with the idea of getting Carlos Soler because he is available for around the £20m mark even though he is a key player for Valencia.Instead I opted for Weigel from Dortmund who will mainly play as DM but can also fit quite nicely into CM.(Soler is still on my radar but I have such a strong midfield).

My other signing is Lincoln

veDV7pn.jpg?1

OMG how could I not buy him.Never heard of him until he popped up on my news feed with top clubs bidding for him as he has a foreign release clause of £10.75m

Only 19 years old at the start of season 4, this kid is going to be a beast.

Yeah, Lincoln is brilliant. I'm sure I bought him in the FM16?

Pogba has taken to the BBM role like a duck to water in my save. He keeps getting assist and MoM awards for me in his 2nd season, definitely a bad idea to sell him off. Miki has gone on a rampage in my game as an AP too. Halfway through my 2nd season and I'm top of the league, in the semis of the Carabao cup and last 16 of CL, I'm going for it all.

Lost Lukaku for 5 weeks and Rashford has been my only option really. Thinking of buying another striker as the board have divining me another 60mil in the Winter transfer window, so have a budget of £147m. Thinking of either Dybala, Icardi or Kane to rotate, although not sure if that's overkill, maybe I should go with a cheaper option as a rotational striker with Lukaku. Any suggestions?

45 minutes ago, iskillz said:

Pogba has taken to the BBM role like a duck to water in my save. He keeps getting assist and MoM awards for me in his 2nd season, definitely a bad idea to sell him off. Miki has gone on a rampage in my game as an AP too. Halfway through my 2nd season and I'm top of the league, in the semis of the Carabao cup and last 16 of CL, I'm going for it all.

Lost Lukaku for 5 weeks and Rashford has been my only option really. Thinking of buying another striker as the board have divining me another 60mil in the Winter transfer window, so have a budget of £147m. Thinking of either Dybala, Icardi or Kane to rotate, although not sure if that's overkill, maybe I should go with a cheaper option as a rotational striker with Lukaku. Any suggestions?

I've got Andre Silva as my main striker and he got around 40 goals last season,good on the ground and in the air.

58 minutes ago, iskillz said:

I highly highly recommend Dybala, he is ridiculousy good, can do everything.

Him and lingard formed a brilliant partnership in the 3rd season for me, lead us to league and champs league glory, plus always played one of rashford or martial with them and it was just an attack of pure pace.

Won't be able to boot my game up any time soon as I'm going back to work tomorrow, so can't check either players preferred role up front. What roles are suited for Dybala and  Andre Silva please?

Also gave some of youngsters a run out in the FA Cup 3rd round against Morecambe. Won the game comfortably. Tuanzebe looks the real deal. Chong and Gribbin also bagged goals. These boys will be moving to the first team soon I think (along with Gomes and Fosu-Mensah), but will look to loan them out before the window closes so they can gain some further experience. Burkhart was very disappointing though and will be offloaded.

1 hour ago, Chad Dawson said:

Whats with Utd having an extra 20 scouts at the start of the game! Has anyone sacked them and got it back under the quota? Its amazing to have so many extra <3

Most of them are rubbish, and paid a fortune. So, yes, I sacked a bunch of them.

4 hours ago, Chad Dawson said:

Whats with Utd having an extra 20 scouts at the start of the game! Has anyone sacked them and got it back under the quota? Its amazing to have so many extra <3

Because they're at the club IRL, we massively increased our scouting team over the last 24 months

On 02/01/2018 at 18:26, axehan1 said:

I'd said in a previous post I was considering selling Pogba because I couldn't get him to unlearn "long shots" from his list of PPM'S.

RSZCmR6.jpg?1

He went to Bayern for £63m rising to £90m.Rugani also went for a fantastic £100m so I am now safe from FFP after failing in my previous 2 seasons.

My intention was to get Afonso Sousa but he failed to get his WP.I then toyed with the idea of getting Carlos Soler because he is available for around the £20m mark even though he is a key player for Valencia.Instead I opted for Weigel from Dortmund who will mainly play as DM but can also fit quite nicely into CM.(Soler is still on my radar but I have such a strong midfield).

My other signing is Lincoln

veDV7pn.jpg?1

OMG how could I not buy him.Never heard of him until he popped up on my news feed with top clubs bidding for him as he has a foreign release clause of £10.75m

Only 19 years old at the start of season 4, this kid is going to be a beast.

How has he been for you mate im looking for young talent for when i start my private MUFC save

I luckily not had a game like that really yet. Just beat City 3-0 with 13shots, 6 on target so couldnt complain about that conversion %.

Was kind of lucky to get a result. i played Celtic a few days before and put out a different team to what normally would and got a result there. apparently i hit space too many times, and the laptop had hung up  and it jumped straight into the match with same team. a 4-2-3-1 with FELLANI of all players in the complete forward role!

Been suffering a bunch of injuries to my forward players and was resting Lakuku with Rashford and Martial out injuried. It one the reasons I am not using my 4-3-1-2 narrow formation I started the season with.

Since changing formations I been a lot more dangerous but so many CM players it hard to keep them happy (no transfers at start of game allowed) so I probably keep jumping between formations. On October 21st and currently unbeaten with the single draw against Arsenal being 0-0 .. I should have lost that one to be fair, they dominated most the game hitting the woodwork twice and 3 clear cut chances. I managed to create 3 clear cut chances myself in last 10minutes of the match but they had 3 times as many shots on target and deserved to win, that how lucky we were.

I seem to be doing better in the more open games, scoring 3 against spurs and city .. teams like Bournmouth give me a hard time and defoe/king looked like they were going to tear me a new one at times on the counter.

So far I am enjoying it. Can't wait till January to begin a mini clearout and getting a better balance to my squad.

Hey Guys. Could do with a little help finding a striker who can replace Lukaku when he is not fit/ on form. Just finished the first season, won the FA cup and the CL.  I am releasing Ibra, even though he did really well for me. I got about 100m in the kitty. Belotti is out of the question and Dybala is proving very difficult to sign. I wouldn't mind signing a young striker, but I need to make sure he can deliver the goods when called upon.

Just looked up above and read about Lincoln. Will go give him a gander. Can't seem to find him on my game. Guess I need the Brasilian leagues loaded?

1 hour ago, kempo said:

Hey Guys. Could do with a little help finding a striker who can replace Lukaku when he is not fit/ on form. Just finished the first season, won the FA cup and the CL.  I am releasing Ibra, even though he did really well for me. I got about 100m in the kitty. Belotti is out of the question and Dybala is proving very difficult to sign. I wouldn't mind signing a young striker, but I need to make sure he can deliver the goods when called upon.

Just looked up above and read about Lincoln. Will go give him a gander. Can't seem to find him on my game. Guess I need the Brasilian leagues loaded?

If you want a young striker then you already have one in Rashford, he can easily become one of the best players on the game.

Archived