Jump to content

Difficulty is getting too silly


Recommended Posts

So far on fm 18, all i’ve read is people getting sacked alot and in my experience, my first match I was 4-0 down at half time v Preston. Started a Man City save. Started or with 3-0 wins and so on. Arsenal beat me 4-0 because their way over powered on all fms. Bounced back with a 5-2 win. Then this stupid pathetic result, early red card or not this would never happen in real life and as you can see I put a pretty strong team out.

 

 

8DD55FD5-8249-484A-A5B3-99E035DAA0B6.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree to a point but remember it's a game not a factual simulation . Down to 10 men against Hull I would have thought a nil all draw or a 1-0 victory for Hull or even Man City but 4-0 is way over the top for a team like Hull . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 5 year old son is having  great success with Chelsea. I think he's won 4 matches, drawn 1 and lost only 1. Assistants are assisting him with basically everything possible except team talks because he likes to see how many green responses he can get!

So... I have to admit the failures I am experiencing in FM2018 are the direct result of my "tweaking" and tactics, team talks etc.

My advice for everyone having troubles with the game is to keep it as simple as possible in the beginning. Use your assistants etc. to see how they handle things, what kind of team would they pick etc. and gradually lessen their power as you get to grips with the game. It is the most simple and easiest way to start experiencing success and enjoyment. In real life management there is a full team of personnel that ARE responsible for many different areas within the team and the manager relies heavily on their input... So use that in the game also... Don't try to control everything. Monitor everything for sure and make changes if you clearly don't agree with something, but let the people you have hired HELP you.

Don't touch the basic tactics or player roles, mentalities etc. Leave them as they are. See how things pan out and start making slow changes and see how they affect your results, playing style etc. and start fine tuning your tactic.

In the end, football is a SIMPLE game: pass and move, pass and move, strike the ball between the posts. :D

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you semi-regularly get results like that with City (even with a sending off) you still don't know what the duties govern on this. It's a simple as that. Fixing it would take a minute at best. Your call. I've never seen you enquiring previous, so I'm not expecting to start doing it now. Your loss. Getting sides to underperform like that is a challenge in itself, though. Hopefully a few UI overhauls in the future will make things more obvious for you in that case. Like it showing the attacking shape you encourage primarily with your picks in role/duty for each player.

Either that, or you conceded three of the rather odd occurances, like two directly off direct free kicks, and even two long shots getting converted, each some against the odds no matter who takes them. Maybe even two bugs, who knows! As 3/4 of their shots are on target, that looks like something else though. I've tested a few what counter attacking on this can do, and from that quick glance, it's still not all that lethal. In one match, my humble Mainz side was able to keep a clean sheet (and not actually concede that many shots) with every single player encouraged to push forward away at Leverkusen. What are you going to do if it would start to be?

Link to post
Share on other sites

City lost 4-0 to Everton and 4-2 to Leicester last season, in both cases with eleven men in the pitch, so that score isn't entirely unrealistic. 

As others have said, your tactics are likely to be part of the problem. More info about that and asking for help would probably go a long way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a bit of an education to learn how to adapt football tactics to football manager, and learn how to get tactics to transition from defence to attack to defence effectively that suits your team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleon's won the Champions League with Sheffield United in the 3rd season of his save. I know he's ridiculously good at it, but it shows if you have the right tactical approach maximising the strengths of your squad, you can have success in the game. 

If you're losing 4-0 at home to Hull with Manchester City, I'm sorry, but that's not the game's fault. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Cleon's won the Champions League with Sheffield United in the 3rd season of his save. I know he's ridiculously good at it, but it shows if you have the right tactical approach maximising the strengths of your squad, you can have success in the game.

Basically, better players do better, worse do worse. :D

That this is doable on largely tactical merits (i.e. being ridiculously good at a micro management level of matchplay) is a sign of a weakness in itself naturally, at least if the aim is simulation/game. A mechanized match engine / AI may be "beatable", football isn't. Football doesn't work like that. There's a limit what tactics alone do in football. It shifts odds some, but it won't keep significantly better opposition from getting pummled time and time again. Plus AI managers aren't that much cop then either. Now FM may always aim to exaggerate the influence of a manager, when in football randomness may always have its significant say.

I still hope this will have a better balance in the future. No least because the achievements of a few have shown to create frustration amongst a portion of the player base plus leading to misconceptions all itself (If I can't replicate this, I must be doing something horribly wrong, like not spending hours on endless tweaking -- when that's not even what Cleon etc. does and when the entire tactics UI has been geared specifically for that purpose on NOT spending hours on "random tweaking"). It may be of note here too that some of those guys lost a girl over getting to that level, replaying the same mathces hundreds of times -- and if not, having simply played the game for a couple decades, with the fundamentels never having much changed. Bit of a difference to the OP in determination anyhow (Determination 1 vs 20). ;)

A refined balance would make the AI more competitive too, in particular when paired with improved squad development. It could simply beat you with better players then. :D As it is, the stuff that tends to be reported are an easy fix either way most of the time, like a fix in one or two duty easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

You had the same issues in FM17 too. At some you're gonna need to start taking on the myriad of advice given to you in the last year 

Im guna have a proper good read in to tactics and stuff now, i’m so crap lol. I usually don’t pick team instructions I usually just go off mentallity and roles, but thats the only thing I can think of for bein so bad, with instructions if I left them, I thought players will make their own minds up on the pitch for the right situation so I thought instructions were being restrictive. But I proper need to look now lol. I lost 4-1 v Huddersfield and i’m 13th after 9 games and i’ve played a game over everyone else lmao. Been playing 4231 attacking. I’ll have a good read through the day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Cleon's won the Champions League with Sheffield United in the 3rd season of his save. I know he's ridiculously good at it, but it shows if you have the right tactical approach maximising the strengths of your squad, you can have success in the game. 

If you're losing 4-0 at home to Hull with Manchester City, I'm sorry, but that's not the game's fault. 

This isn't true at all. No idea where you got that from? I've not even completed the 3rd season, I'm only in October. 

I agree with your points though. Myself I have recruited really well and that's more than half the battle for me. I don't think I will win the CL this year but I'll make knockout stages. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cleon said:

This isn't true at all. No idea where you got that from? I've not even completed the 3rd season, I'm only in October. 

 

Sorry, must have misread a tweet from you earlier, didn't you beat Bayern 3-0? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Sorry, must have misread a tweet from you earlier, didn't you beat Bayern 3-0? 

Ah, yeah I did in the group of death. I had Milan, PSG and Bayern in my group. I posted saying I had no chance of progressing from the group. Then in the first game I hammered Bayern away 3-0 because they had an early sending off. I then stated a change of plan, I was going to win the CL :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sebacid said:

My 5 year old son is having  great success with Chelsea. I think he's won 4 matches, drawn 1 and lost only 1. Assistants are assisting him with basically everything possible except team talks because he likes to see how many green responses he can get!

So... I have to admit the failures I am experiencing in FM2018 are the direct result of my "tweaking" and tactics, team talks etc.

My advice for everyone having troubles with the game is to keep it as simple as possible in the beginning. Use your assistants etc. to see how they handle things, what kind of team would they pick etc. and gradually lessen their power as you get to grips with the game. It is the most simple and easiest way to start experiencing success and enjoyment. In real life management there is a full team of personnel that ARE responsible for many different areas within the team and the manager relies heavily on their input... So use that in the game also... Don't try to control everything. Monitor everything for sure and make changes if you clearly don't agree with something, but let the people you have hired HELP you.

Don't touch the basic tactics or player roles, mentalities etc. Leave them as they are. See how things pan out and start making slow changes and see how they affect your results, playing style etc. and start fine tuning your tactic.

In the end, football is a SIMPLE game: pass and move, pass and move, strike the ball between the posts. :D

 

 

Your 5 year old son can FM?

Impressive. Truly. It's a complicated game.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

How big a part does past experience play? I have sunday league footballer to build a rep but i’m doing illegally bad

Depends who you are managing, but above the very lowest leagues this rep may be an issue as with the dynamics system the players may have no respect for you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

How big a part does past experience play? I have sunday league footballer to build a rep but i’m doing illegally bad

You should pick experience to match the team you are choosing to start with.

Its not that it makes it more difficult just things don't quite work as well as they are designed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lordbonney said:

City lost 4-0 to Everton and 4-2 to Leicester last season, in both cases with eleven men in the pitch, so that score isn't entirely unrealistic. 

 

And to think he thought it was unrealistic, lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so much difficulty, a club like city you will still have to win the players over. Imagine if city employed a Sunday league footballer in real life. Would the fans or players give them any respect? It’s more about picking a sensible setting so the game works correctly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Going Sunday League rep (or basically going with a reputation unsuitable to the club you apply) was always promoted by SI as an additional layer of difficulty (the other was the club you pick, which I have always fundamentally disagreed with, as top clubs each have their own level of challenge too, even those stuffed with cash, as the expectation will be over the roof, the media and fans demanding and the boards typically never shy of sacking the guy in charge). The only other difficulty was whatever challenge you set yourself (artificial restrictions, or going one of those Fantasy CHallenges of conquering the World with whatever wlub on whatever continent, starting in the respective lowest division , which is arguably more of a grind as an additional challenge imo as the level of opposition is comparably universal). So with the match dynamics at play, this is going to influence some. However sinking that low looks like tactics play their part too. This isn't about putting a thousand PIs or TIs in place, this is first and foremost roles and duties and their mixes and doing a couple logical things.

Then again, City seem to underperform under Guardiola in-game too on the occasion. Reported to see the sack on the occasion already. :D For what it's worth, from my brief playing experience so far it isn't quite as simple as taking the dominating sides in top divisions typically unbalanced by the money flushed around football, and then completely steamrolling everyone just by having those far superior players and fielding them. On some prior releases you almost "dominated" each match by default, as did respective AI managers of such teams, naturally.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Chris21 said:

It is an unrealistic result but you were down to 10 men from the 9th minute

9 men when Danillo gets sent off in the 75th?  And all 3 subs are mid/fwd?  Playing with 2 defenders for 25 mnutes?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

How big a part does past experience play? I have sunday league footballer to build a rep but i’m doing illegally badthis is the issue

this is one of the issues unfortunately.

if starting straight at the top, id go with the suggested experience level. Game is hard enough as it is. They wont listen to you if youre not a respected ex professional.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ChelseaFan said:

Your 5 year old son can FM?

Impressive. Truly. It's a complicated game.

 

Yeah, he's a great lad! But like I said, I have almost everything turned on for him as assisting the day to day running like training, line ups etc. But he's learning to play it for sure! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Swindon69 said:

I note there's a few comments on here that go "the games easy you must be terrible" I'm not sure that these help people who are struggling.

Yep,  deleted them. Andrew, start a save and pick the rep that matches the club. Then before you hit continue, think about how you want to play, and what your players are capable, then have a read of some of the tactical threads 

No matter how good or bad you are, or how long you've being playing, being able to visualise what you want to achieve takes you a long way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest El Payaso
23 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

this is one of the issues unfortunately.

if starting straight at the top, id go with the suggested experience level. Game is hard enough as it is. They wont listen to you if youre not a respected ex professional.

 

I decided to do this with Las Palmas (and also to have realistic attributes for my David Moyes profile) and in the beginning of the pre season I could notice that the players are not in to me at all but after couple of good results you can turn this around I think. I'm not looking to get any difference with the team talks for my favor and it will be interesting to see how this thing pans out. So far no problems with the team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I started another save with Burton. My third one already, this time i’m using suggested Badge and Rep. My team play much better for me, it’s crazy how noticable the difference is from using Sunday League. I’ve always used Sunday league, must be why I very rarely do any good, sure my Ipswich promotion last year was Pro footballer experience :/

 

Although I expect a tough season, i’m much more excited about my save now that I’ve discovered this, in a way, your past experience is a difficulty level, and now with dynamics, fm 18 massively helps you. 

Wish I could play it in 3d tho like last year but my graphics suck :(

 

2 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Yep,  deleted them. Andrew, start a save and pick the rep that matches the club. Then before you hit continue, think about how you want to play, and what your players are capable, then have a read of some of the tactical threads 

No matter how good or bad you are, or how long you've being playing, being able to visualise what you want to achieve takes you a long way. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

Hi, I started another save with Burton. My third one already, this time i’m using suggested Badge and Rep. My team play much better for me, it’s crazy how noticable the difference is from using Sunday League. I’ve always used Sunday league, must be why I very rarely do any good, sure my Ipswich promotion last year was Pro footballer experience :/

 

Although I expect a tough season, i’m much more excited about my save now that I’ve discovered this, in a way, your past experience is a difficulty level, and now with dynamics, fm 18 massively helps you. 

Wish I could play it in 3d tho like last year but my graphics suck :(

 

 

i think its more real to use the recommended experience anyway to be honest. No one in the football league is just a sunday league player from their background even when starting their first job

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I am speaking from experience when i say REP DOES NOT HAVE A BIG INFLUENCE. 

 

I normally go with coaching badges set to minimum and Sunday league. Granted talking to players ect is a touch harder as is your top players not performing as you would expect but that was also for me a big tactics learning curve.

 

This year i went with max badges and local pro. Zero difference, players still had no respect from me. 

BTW i ALWAYS manage Liverpool.

 

The reason in change of badges and rep set up was because i was always under the impression from previous games and peoples posts about them that it was like this:

no badges &sunday league = harder starts but easier futures

full badges & international player = easier starts with the board ect but tougher longevity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...