[FM18] The Dynamics of telling you to shove your transfer request up y- a journeyman career

noikeee

1 hour ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Gutting but at least you're still clear of the drop.

It's still very early, I need to see which way this goes, I'm thinking of some minor tactical adjustments as well which could hopefully make us slightly more solid and/or more effective.

My biggest fear is getting into a spiral of negativity in terms of dressing room atmosphere, that it could then get difficult to get out of. I did a team meeting to lift spirits before the Spurs game as recommended by my staff, but I'm unsure it's a good timing, I usually prefer to reserve these morale boosts before winnable games.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Fola said:

Great to see you got promoted mate. Surely surviving relegation will be your aim this season? Looks like you recruited well in the summer though- shame only 4 new faces mind.

It just wasn't possible to hire more than 4 truly good players. The Brexit rules have seriously limited transfer market activity IMO, everyone needs a work permit now, so I can only hire internationals (there's too few of them), or British players (stupid overpriced).

But I might've done a slight mistake in giving too many pay rises to some of our players, who kept on asking for it as soon as last season ended. I preferred to cave in to all these demands to keep morale/dressing room atmosphere up (which I find extremely important in FM18), but now I have a bunch of probably Championship-level players tied to high wages for a few years. Oops.

7UP1W2H.png

October 2024

0A5zxKR.jpg

Better now. We nearly beat Spurs, that would've been fantastic, but after our own late goal, they equalised on the very last kick of the game, minute 93. Away at Arsenal we got well beaten, and now we really needed to beat West Ham to stop a long winningless run. And... we did just that, pretty big 5-2 win with Alex Ratnage on irresistible form, 2 goals and 2 assists.

We're 13th now, 4 points and 5 places above the red line. The bad news is we get both Chelsea and Man Utd away next month, but we should then be clear of those super-hard matches for a while.

QCuzpfd.jpg

28 minutes ago, noikeee said:

It just wasn't possible to hire more than 4 truly good players. The Brexit rules have seriously limited transfer market activity IMO, everyone needs a work permit now, so I can only hire internationals (there's too few of them), or British players (stupid overpriced).

But I might've done a slight mistake in giving too many pay rises to some of our players, who kept on asking for it as soon as last season ended. I preferred to cave in to all these demands to keep morale/dressing room atmosphere up (which I find extremely important in FM18), but now I have a bunch of probably Championship-level players tied to high wages for a few years. Oops.

I think that's pretty realistic tbh. Players will expect big wages after promotion to the Premier League. You can always try refusing the request, asking a team mate to talk to them, and if that fails, offer the contract anyway. That doesn't seem to hit morale, whereas a flat refusal has players creating merry hell,

10 hours ago, Northernpilgrim said:

I think that's pretty realistic tbh. Players will expect big wages after promotion to the Premier League. You can always try refusing the request, asking a team mate to talk to them, and if that fails, offer the contract anyway. That doesn't seem to hit morale, whereas a flat refusal has players creating merry hell,

I do that sometimes, but don't think I tried that on this occasion, I just brainlessly offered payrises to everyone that asked. :lol:

v5bLbBV.jpg

2 hours ago, Ellandroadhero said:

This is great. I’m inspired to do a journeyman save next, after I finish/get sacked from my Leeds project! 

Thanks. Dunno then whether to wish you luck with Leeds or to get sacked quick. :D Which one gets you to convert to the journeyman cause sooner. one-club careers are fine too

30 minutes ago, SmileFaceGamer said:

When a game of football manager goes too far...

Nah jk. It’s more than a game

Just a game? Never!!!!

7UP1W2H.png

November 2024

xbodnZt.jpg

The matches against Chelsea and Man Utd went right about as you'd expect - we were awful, and honestly lucky we came back home from the Chelsea match with just 3 conceded. I'm starting to wonder whether it really pays off to be as offensive as we are against these much superior teams, it did work earlier against Man City but it didn't remotely look like we could do anything in these 2 matches.

However, at home against Swansea and Everton it was like we were a different team. Thrilling to watch and even rather comfortable against Everton. An interesting feature is that Diego Fratucello is finally emerging after a crappy start, I decided the IW/S role wasn't fitting him, and switched him to a WM/A with "dribble more" and "cross more". Essentially that's a winger in all but name, except he stays a little narrower unlike actual wingers.

The 2 wins did us good and we're up to 11th now - but still only 5 points above the danger zone, in a tight league table.

AU5RWXO.jpg

22 hours ago, deltablue said:

You seem fine for now. 

Think we're safe from relegation, specially after I post the December update. ;) 

22 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Is Declan John any good? Used to be a monster wonderkid in FIFA a few years ago.

He's okay, but I don't think he's up to Premiership standards:

b8sl9Ds.jpg 

I bought Saúl Lara so I could bench him, and now currently debating whether I should renew his contract or not.

7 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Think we're safe from relegation, specially after I post the December update. ;) 

He's okay, but I don't think he's up to Premiership standards:

b8sl9Ds.jpg 

I bought Saúl Lara so I could bench him, and now currently debating whether I should renew his contract or not.

Hmm, good attribute balance for a wingback, but just not at a high enough level. Not for the Premiership anyway.

7UP1W2H.png

December 2024

Nlodndl.jpg

It's an amazing month as we hit peak form! Blessed with an easy calendar, as we had already played against all the big sides, we went on a thrilling run that included two insane away wins, 5-0 away to Palace and 6-1 away to Brentford (and Brentford want me as manager... yeah no). And the only reason this was 6 wins in 7 matches, and not 7 in 7, was a crazy streak of bad luck in the Leicester match that saw us leave goalless and defeated, despite having 6 clear cut chances and 3 half chances...

We're benefitting from having played earlier, having more matches than the opposition which makes the league table misleading. But we're all the way up to 6th!!! This won't last though, because we're starting to play the big teams from January again.

Oh and Mason Bennett has 21 goals in 19 matches in the Premier League, and a 8,08 rating. :lol: This game may be a wee bit biased towards pacey strikers, it's like FM11/FM12 all over again.

gmkMWxh.jpg

Ballon d'Or 2024

MFHI1AA.jpg

Well this is surprisingly mildly reasonable. Dybala probably deserved recognition at last, although it comes a little late in his career - I think the 87M€ from Juve to Man Utd last season gave him the reputation push to finally grab it, even if he hasn't won anything substantial with Man Utd yet. Lemar returns to the top 3 even after we injured him for a while, his influential performances in Man City's title run last year will have helped, but I don't think this was his best year at all. Neymar misses out on the Ballon d'Or yet again despite again helping PSG to the Champions League trophy. He might retire as one of the greatest players ever to not have won this award.

6 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Spectacular month there, looking really good in the league now. :thup:

It'll get worse now as we're starting to play all the big teams again, still, all this headstart will be very handy for the rest of the season.

7UP1W2H.png

January 2025

(Transfers)

The only Winter transfer was that we waved goodbye to Che Adams. He was awesome last season, but we're packed with wingers now, he's not Premiership quality, and didn't justify the wage. I shipped him to Hull for 5.75M€ which was much lower than his estimated value, but a big profit on the 450K€ we had paid for him the previous season.

PlHe2X0.jpg

So we faced the big guns again and it wasn't pretty. We almost managed to surprise Man City again, as we turned around a 0-2 disadvantage into a 3-2 lead... only for it to still turn it around again into a 3-5 loss. Against Liverpool it was worse, we were shattered. Happily, we've continued our run in the other matches as if nothing was going on, and remain on a very nice 8th place. The best thing is we're part of a group of teams that has quite a points gap over those who are 10th and lower.

In the FA Cup, the backups beat Plymouth, but we were a bit unlucky with the draw as we'll already face Man Utd.

O2ylIVW.jpg

8M2ld9c.jpg

Oooohhhhhhh nice.

I always liked Gladbach and it's a step-up that makes sense. Also, the Bundesliga doesn't have the foreigner restrictions this post-Brexit Premiership has, which has annoyed me a bit. The downsides, is I don't feel I've done enough at Derby (at least certainly not to leave at the middle of this season!), and I'm not sure I want to manage in the Bundesliga again after my HSV career in FM17.

Let's see what happens...

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

8M2ld9c.jpg

Oooohhhhhhh nice.

I always liked Gladbach and it's a step-up that makes sense. Also, the Bundesliga doesn't have the foreigner restrictions this post-Brexit Premiership has, which has annoyed me a bit. The downsides, is I don't feel I've done enough at Derby (at least certainly not to leave at the middle of this season!), and I'm not sure I want to manage in the Bundesliga again after my HSV career in FM17.

Interesting, but I think I would stick with Derby for now.

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

8M2ld9c.jpg

Oooohhhhhhh nice.

I’d go to Gladbach! An interesting club for sure. 

7UP1W2H.png

February 2025

rzRS6Lb.jpg

I saw this coming from a mile away, but here it is, the downturn in form with a tough calendar. In fact things had already started to go a bit wrong against Stoke, with our first defeat in a while against a team of "mortals", but we were smashed by Spurs and Arsenal. Down to 9th in the league now, let's see how high up can we still finish.

In the cup, there was a sensational win over Man Utd as we overturned a 0-2 defficit into a magnificent 3-2 comeback with a Alex Ratnage hat-trick, debutting a new cagey, counter-attacking version of our 4-4-2 (which would completely fail to work the next few matches in the league). However, we were more than a little unlucky to draw a big team again in Chelsea next, and they did the same to us, we looked comfortable winning 2-0 yet in just the final 6 minutes they scored 3 goals. Balls.

jyM5XdO.jpg

9 hours ago, john1 said:

Interesting, but I think I would stick with Derby for now.

9 hours ago, Ellandroadhero said:

I’d go to Gladbach! An interesting club for sure. 

50 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

You've just got upgrades. Look to the youth intake first, IMO

So that's 1 vote for the move, and 2 votes against. Let's see what happens...

oBudDQT.jpg

Well turns out I didn't have much of a decision to make anyway. :lol: I was gonna say no. I thought about it and figured it wasn't enough of a step-up to justify the move, specially with the Premiership at the moment much stronger than the Bundesliga.

8 minutes ago, Ellandroadhero said:

I’m 4 seasons into my save and Leicester, after getting relegated in the first season, are absolutely insane. They’ve signed so many good players, including Correa from Atleti, who they managed to sign in the championship! Absolute madness. 

I have no idea why they're suddenly amazing here, but they're having a brilliant season, right in the middle of the big 6 (Man Utd, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool).

7UP1W2H.png

March 2025

O37jLoy.jpg

I thought we were bound for an awful month again, after being smashed 4-1 by West Ham and with Chelsea and Man Utd matches coming up. But for once we did great in the big games, drawing with Chelsea and even beating Man Utd, Mason Bennett back to scoring on the Premier League after a bit of a drought.

We're back up to 8th and with the 7 remaining fixtures being all against beatable teams (apart from an away fixture against Leicester who are flying), this is looking really good. We could quite conceivably finish best of the rest behind the top 7.

vNnlA2b.jpg

7UP1W2H.png

April 2025

cttGh3W.jpg

This month started well with 2 solid wins, but we were a bit **** against Leicester and really should've beaten Palace after going 2 goals up, but we let them equalize.

We seem to have ended up indeed in a tight battle for best of the rest, and it's between us and Stoke for 8th. They've got a 2 points advantage on us, but I think we can overtake them.

6W9prpB.jpg

K6vTBpJ.jpg

Great, you'd think!

... until you realize this means they're already unavailable for the final 2 fixtures of the season, even though the U20 World Cup only starts after the Premier League ends...

:rolleyes: :idiot:

7UP1W2H.png

May 2025

cnrmDr1.jpg

Well, we did what we could. It wasn't the most inspired 3 wins ever against 3 relegation-threatened teams, but we won all 3 matches to finish the season on a high. But was it enough to overtake Stoke for 8th? ..... No. Stoke won 2 and drew 1, and it was just enough to beat us to 8th on goal difference. Still, I'm pretty damn happy with 9th place on our first Premier League season!

An amusing feature here is that we helped relegate both Brentford and Wolves, and almost helped relegate West Brom too but they just saved themselves. At the expense of... Everton!!!

p2rKor0.jpg

Archived