[FM18] The Dynamics of telling you to shove your transfer request up y- a journeyman career

noikeee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

Joseph Olowu! I really do love a familiar face in someone else's thread. :lol:

How did he do for you? On paper he looks a pretty good CB but I'm concerned the rest of his skills don't follow his physicals!

15 minutes ago, noikeee said:

How did he do for you? On paper he looks a pretty good CB but I'm concerned the rest of his skills don't follow his physicals!

He was amazing for me, but it was back in the HK days, so not exactly the standard of football you're going to require. He's definitely a more memorable player for me than Barbosa, so there's that. He definitely deserves a chance.

10 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

latest?cb=20150501020318

I have no idea what you mean...

It actually makes very little sense that Liverpool overtakes ManUtd in reputation. I don't have the game loaded now, but IIRC Man Utd got back-to-back Champions Leagues in some of the first seasons of this career under Mourinho. So that's not that long ago. All that Liverpool have done since, was win an isolated Premier League title once, and now a lucky CL on penalty kicks whilst coming 5th in the league. Meanwhile Man Utd isn't winning anything, okay, but coming top 4 regularly year after year... unlike Liverpool. I don't get it.

10 hours ago, Rikulec said:

He was amazing for me, but it was back in the HK days, so not exactly the standard of football you're going to require. He's definitely a more memorable player for me than Barbosa, so there's that. He definitely deserves a chance.

Holy crap, he definitely has no business playing in the Icelandic league. He must've destroyed every forward that came his way. :lol:

33 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Dunno, never heard of them, but then again I'm not all that familiar with football in the United States.

;) 

Oh f*****g hell. There a mid table team in the VNN. Not the premier league side like I hoped... oh well with Craig Elliot anything can happen

21 minutes ago, SmileFaceGamer said:

Oh f*****g hell. There a mid table team in the VNN. Not the premier league side like I hoped... oh well with Craig Elliot anything can happen

Take them over in FM and make it happen. :) 

6 hours ago, noikeee said:

Take them over in FM and make it happen. :) 

I had a save on fm16 where we took on the Everton and another mid table side in pre season. We went toe to toe with both of them, that was in the glory days of Garner and Karl (Salford Defender now) at the back with Jones and Super Dayle Southwell up top with Dennis Greene in the dugout.

7UP1W2H.png

Pre-season 2023/2024

wuUxekV.jpg

We ended up making a serious profit this transfer window, largely due to the sale of a key player, midfielder Denis-Will Poha, to Spartak Moscow (why does Spartak always poach my best players??? even after I leave Russia?!) for a 7,25M€ fee that could get another 500K on top of it. He had the club's best ratings last season under the previous manager, but I felt he was expendable for now and decided this was a good sale. With him gone, plus another few lesser players that we sold too, we made a total of 9M€ from sales, whilst we spent just 2,6M€ on new players.

So let's go through my signings. To start off with, I can say that I hired permanently right-back Dujon Sterling who was here on loan. For 675K it was a pretty sweet deal, the kid's talented and young. But as for the real new faces:

iosecsE.jpg

The first of 4 wingers(!) I signed, and also the most expensive, on a 1.2M€ fee. He looks class but the sheer competition of the other wingers I only spotted later on the transfer market might be too much, we'll see.

1DR6A5l.jpg

2nd of the wingers, on a free from Man City, he's been off to play for NY City on loan for a while and now returns to England. Incredibly quick which can be a huge advantage in the right circumstances, but I suspect the rest of his game isn't complete enough.

UK9u9E4.jpg

First of 2 strikers I loaned, and with another 2 strikers I promoted from the reserves we now suddenly have a ridiculous amount of depth in the position. This kid from the current English champions Spurs, looks like he could be the best fit for my false nine role at the moment.

jg85ie1.jpg

The other teenage striker I loaned in, from Brighton. Currently first choice for the role as the most advanced of the strikers, but there's some seriously close competition for the position there.

1Nerlej.jpg

The 3rd winger as I'm looking to adapt him to ML position, although he's more used to play higher up or even as a striker. His skills look like a very nice fit for the IW/A role on the left.

bKRiy1X.jpg

This pre-season's big name signing! English international Jake Livermore arrives from the relegated West Brom, as a direct replacement for the departing Denis-Will Poha, to play as the most cautious CM/D of my midfield duo. He's old but can still do a job and with 17 natural fitness I'm not too concerned about sudden attributes drop. However, he just picked up an injury to miss the start of the season.

sTKupnu.jpg

Having already picked up Dujon Sterling permanently, I didn't really need another right-back, however Kane Wilson looks better going forward. We are seriously stacked with talent in this position.

vmmfBqc.jpg

The 4th winger is here on loan from Everton - I already had an eye on him since last season for Amkar to fill the IW/S position on the right (will need retraining), but only managed to loan him now. Not sure whether he's better or worse than Lewis Morgan, seems like the Italian is the cleverest player of the 2 but Lewis is slightly quicker and also dribbles slightly better.

6bGGFpM.jpg

A South Sudanese international! He arrives as a punt for the future after being released from Chelsea.

Squad

EHUrCXi.jpg

I'm really happy with the squad now, the back 4 and the CMs duo are all superb, and although we're missing a proper top class striker in the mould of Kakaras which I had for Amkar, we picked up a lot of wingers and strikers to give us options there. We got the team to do good things in this division, and this is reflected by pre-season odds that have been upgraded to make us 7th top favourites for the league.

Fixtures

b8v8iPW.jpg

Other than losing to Mansfield in League 2 this was a breeze of a pre-season.

7UP1W2H.png

August 2023

(Transfers)

One more deal in deadline day:

zNpkvWz.jpg

Whilst Livermore fixes our lack of a holding midfielder for the season, he's old, so when I noticed this guy at an affordable 1.9M€ price (although that's the most expensive signing of the Summer for us), I had to take him. We could do with a wee bit more depth there anyway. He's really good.

tLNi8wg.jpg

An encouraging start, but not perfect. Both Ratnage and Di Nolfo scored on their loan debuts as we kicked off the season against Portsmouth, but later we'd lose points against both Sheffield Wednesday (as we dropped an early lead) and MK Dons (defeated by 2 Thierry Ambrose goals, attn @Deisler26). However, the huge highlight was then a massive 8-1 demolition of Bury, with teenager loanee striker Gary Forster showing what he's worth, with 4 goals and 1 assist. A huge statement of intent by our lads, and hopefully setting the tone for the rest of the season.

In the mean time, we easily jumped past 2 rounds of the Carabao Cup to book a meeting against reigning Premier League champions Tottenham in September!

IWGQETz.jpg

7UP1W2H.png

September 2023

tc9C3Xy.jpg

A slightly underwhelming month, as we struggle away, losing at Leeds and Preston and drawing with Norwich. However there was a huge highlight as we decimated Huddersfield 6-1!! We seem to be a bit all or nothing, and I think it's partially due to a cock-up I did that set us back in morale: essentially I gambled that Olympiacos wouldn't match my valuation for Björn Engels so I promised him I'd accept a bid for 12.5M€ or whatever value it was. Well, they came with a bid and I rejected, hoping that the technicality that the value only reached the promised amount after all clauses, would be enough to appease my player. It wasn't. He's also our captain. Quite a few players support him. But hey, why would my captain expect me to uphold a promise I'd done just a couple of days earlier, as a brand new manager to the club that is looking to win the players' trust, eh? What a baby. Stop whining, Björn.

For now we're sitting 9th, just out of the playoffs, which is what the board asked for (top half), but a bit below what I expected. We need to start building on what we have.

Meanwhile, our Carabao Cup run predictably ended at the hands of the English champions. We did resist for 59 minutes but then Spurs woke up.

rPWwUsu.jpg

3 hours ago, andychar said:

Good old Mansfield! It's good to see they aren't just bothered about destroying the hopes and dreams of their fans. They are branching out!

Best thing is that they're saving their best for friendlies when it doesn't matter. :thup: Just give enough false hope to their fans in matches like that, and then crush it later. Sounds like a plan.

2 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Water is wet, etc

On this form he looks likely to play in the Premier League next season... for MK Dons. Ewww.

6 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Water is wet, etc

Andre Silva can’t score, Greg Smith will win the Ballin Dor, Boston United are the most reputable club in England, grass is green, football Manager is great, Guadiola > Mouriniho, Derby was a sh*t career move

you know, normal stuff

20 hours ago, noikeee said:

dMZSB15.jpg

When your assman arrives all giddy to inform you that your key player has just completed training a PPM that you don't want, goes against your system, and makes no sense for the player... thanks you moron.

Put him in a sack, lob him into santa’s sleigh and hire a new one

9 hours ago, Fola said:

Not going to lie, bit of a strange career move but I have faith in you haha! Play offs this season surely has to be a minimum requirement. Are there any big-spenders in the Championship?

6 hours ago, higgins said:

Interesting career and even if your move to Derby might seem a bit odd, I know the championship is always an intriguing and tough league, then Derby deserve to play in the EPL so it's up to you...

I think maybe I didn't explain very well my motivations behind the career move.

First, I'm not looking necessarily at what would a real manager do or what would get me to the top of world football quicker, but at what makes it interesting and motivates me in terms of gameplay. Sure, in real life you probably wouldn't run away from a shot at the Russian title, to go take a midtable Championship side. But I feel FM tends to be at its more interesting when it makes dreams come true. Such as, the element of nostalgia of taking a club well past its best back to where it belongs. Or taking absolute minnows into stratospheric heights. These are the stories that inspire me in FM. Amkar were... neither. It was always a weird fit for me from the start.

This is a club that didn't even exist 25 years ago, was very quickly taken to the top division in Russia (obviously must've been really well funded to get there) and stayed there ever since, therefore already enjoying their greatest wave of success. So they're a bit of a plastic club that were already doing better than they should, before me. Taking them a wee bit higher, even winning the Russian league, isn't much of an inspiring story. Hell, it's happened quite a few times with these oligarch-backed clubs, see Rubin Kazan recently. Moreover, I've already achieved something important with them. Their first cup win. Getting them back to Europe. I typically move on in journeyman careers, as soon as I've achieved something notable for the club. 

Also, I'm not seeing this as a backwards step but as a sideways step. It's not THAT unrealistic. Sure, right now Amkar had bigger potential, but competitively Amkar and Derby are largely about the same. Same 3 stars in club reputation at the moment. The talent in the squads are about even, I'm probably missing an elite keeper like Petruzzi and an elite striker like Kakaras, but the Derby backline is way more talented (on paper, they're not actually playing like it!). The Championship has less reputation than the Russian league but doesn't really look any less competitive IMO. Financially, it's a draw too. Amkar had more money at the moment after the sales, but Derby look far more sustainable with more money routinely coming in, as you can see by the larger wage budget. Hell, you could even say Derby have more potential. Sure I had a headstart in Russia given that I'd hired already quite a few good youth players, but Derby have far superior facilities and in-house youth.

Finally, there was an element here of misplaced cockyness, that's now backfiring. You might have noticed that ever since I switched to the 4-4-2 in Russia, apart from an initial bedding-in period and a very minor blip later on, we were absolutely unstoppable, smashing even all the big Russian sides. This wasn't a 4-4-2 made from scratch neither, it was based on the highly successful tactics of several different people - tried, tested, proven stuff. Basically, I thought I now had this really strong, almost plug-and-play tactic making me win almost every match. I thought if I do another season in Russia, I'd either bulldoze the league (which isn't very interesting), or NOT bulldoze the league and be disappointed. So I thought I'd take a change of air and try to bulldoze the Championship instead. Except it's not happening (yet?) and I'm having to eat humble pie. Not sure what's going on, and I'm kinda regretting the job move now a little. On the other hand, maybe it's a challenge that makes things more interesting. ;) 

Sorry for writing a wall of text. :lol:

8 hours ago, SmileFaceGamer said:

Put him in a sack, lob him into santa’s sleigh and hire a new one

7 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Seconded. That mutual termination button would be winking at me if I were you, Noikeee.

It's not entirely his fault to be fair, it's the previous manager that left stupid training regimes all over the place.

6 hours ago, abulezz said:

Looks like its lining up to be an eventful season - I like your signings a lot, and I think they'll do really well. 

"Eventful" is a great word to name my current 4-4-2. My teams have certainly not been dull ever since that tactical switch. :D

I like them all too, Francesco Di Nolfo in particular has been a surprising revelation. However, we're really missing a top class pacey striker, Forster has looked like it at times but not quite consistently. If only I had the cash to go hire Kakaras...

7UP1W2H.png

October 2023

FgKjerm.jpg

A slightly better month, although losing at home 0-3 to Watford was pretty poor. That was a very harsh result though, but then again we didn't deserve to beat Barnsley by the same result neither. We slowly move closer to the playoffs, 1 point below them in 8th.

A particular annoyance has been lots of small injuries happening all over, I think neither our intensive playing style nor the sheer number of matches in the Championship helps.

IkWMdP3.jpg

7UP1W2H.png

November 2023

hr0zFQn.jpg

Well, I did say I wanted to bulldoze the Championship. Suddenly in November, this became a reality as we went on a crazy run of 6 straight wins (had started in October), the first 5 of which without conceding goals, too. And we add to our list of smashings this season, after the 8-1 over Bury and the 6-1 over Huddersfield, a new 6-0 away at Barnsley, all 6 goals in the first half. With all of this we've shot right up the table, not just into the playoff spots, but into a comfortable 3rd, a single point below an automatic promotion place, which is held by West Brom that we just beat. Only 2 points off leaders MK Dons, too.

Meanwhile, what the hell is up with Matej Vydra??!! Suddenly this 31 year old striker who looked a bit average, has burst to life in the false nine role with an insane run of form. 4 goals against Barnsley, 2 against Fulham, 2 against West Brom. Add another 2 assists this month, too. Wow.

4KTlFIk.jpg

6 hours ago, noikeee said:

7UP1W2H.png

November 2023

hr0zFQn.jpg

Well, I did say I wanted to bulldoze the Championship. Suddenly in November, this became a reality as we went on a crazy run of 6 straight wins (had started in October), the first 5 of which without conceding goals, too. And we add to our list of smashings this season, after the 8-1 over Bury and the 6-1 over Huddersfield, a new 6-0 away at Barnsley, all 6 goals in the first half. With all of this we've shot right up the table, not just into the playoff spots, but into a comfortable 3rd, a single point below an automatic promotion place, which is held by West Brom that we just beat. Only 2 points off leaders MK Dons, too.

Meanwhile, what the hell is up with Matej Vydra??!! Suddenly this 31 year old striker who looked a bit average, has burst to life in the false nine role with an insane run of form. 4 goals against Barnsley, 2 against Fulham, 2 against West Brom. Add another 2 assists this month, too. Wow.

4KTlFIk.jpg

Nice, any tactical tweaks. Also, in the event of a promotion(starting to look likely), where do you think you’ll finish?

2 hours ago, SmileFaceGamer said:

Nice, any tactical tweaks. Also, in the event of a promotion(starting to look likely), where do you think you’ll finish?

It's the exact same tactics I was using in Russia with no further tweaks, though I should probably write a tactics update one of these days. There's plan A, plan B which is just slightly more direct, and plan C which is to run out games and try not to tire players too much, decrease intensity to prevent injuries.

Dunno about next year, I think I'd rather shut up and not think of too many plans before I get more pie on my face. :D But going up to the Premier League is definitely something I want this season.

9 hours ago, noikeee said:

It's the exact same tactics I was using in Russia with no further tweaks, though I should probably write a tactics update one of these days. There's plan A, plan B which is just slightly more direct, and plan C which is to run out games and try not to tire players too much, decrease intensity to prevent injuries.

Dunno about next year, I think I'd rather shut up and not think of too many plans before I get more pie on my face. :D But going up to the Premier League is definitely something I want this season.

Ok. I think I could do with your short term planning (for the season) did a Newcastle save last year and had a five year plan in the prem to win it. We got to three still on step 2 (top half), having been there for 3 years.

7UP1W2H.png

December 2023

C81d7Xu.jpg

The run of wins would max out at 8, the last one against Newcastle - it all ended with a loss at Ipswich. However, even if we dropped points again with Sunderland, we returned to form with two goal-crazy matches including what's surely the match of the season away at Boro!! Goals in minutes 94 and 95, and Vydra insanely inspired again with another 4 goals. We move up to 2nd and an automatic promotion spot at the end of the calendar year.

Meanwhile the FA Cup draw is out and we play Forest, who got promoted to the Premier League last year.

JBKWa5p.jpg

Ballon d'Or 2023

Gku5TRj.jpg

Uh, I must admit I didn't see this coming at all. Pavón hadn't come to my attention yet, and Chelsea didn't do anything notable this season other than winning the FA Cup. I think it's because he's currently on a roll on the Champions League with 5 goals in 5 appearances this season. Even then, both Bernardo and Hazard's numbers look more impressive, and I've no idea why did Lemar (still performing amazingly after a 165M€ move to City) and Neymar both fall out of contention.

3 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

What happened to Lemar, did he take time off like Michael Jordan because he was so great

He's playing absolutely fantastic for City. Tailed off slightly from the insane 8.00+ ratings he used to get at Monaco, but you'd expect him to, the Premier League is tougher than the Ligue 1. I've no idea why would the press vote Pavón ahead of him.

hJ3X9HX.jpg XcS9857.jpg

7UP1W2H.png

January 2024

(Transfers)

Hey, what if I sell our captain and key player, midway through our promotion-chasing season? Björn Engels had already nearly left in the Summer, and with a 16,5M€ (19M€ after all clauses) bid from Brentford I couldn't say no. This was a huge fee for a 29 year old that whilst on paper our best defender, I felt wasn't really that critical to the success of our backline. Maybe this is a gamble that'll backfire but I think we can perform at the same level without him, and bag the money whilst we can. Other players to leave in January included midfielder/forward Aidan Barlow (sold), backup keeper Christy Pym (sold), winger Rabbi Matondo which I had hired in the Summer but was only 5th choice (loaned), and an exciting youth prospect, centre-back Kristian Bradley, went on loan too to get playing experience.

With 5 players gone the squad was now looking a thin in depth so I hired 3 guys:

bIgw6yN.jpg

Squad player to add depth, I see him more as a holding midfielder than as a centre-back, due to the lack of pace for our high line.

J70nWKr.jpg

Well I nearly cancelled the Coady deal because Taylor is a better midfielder. On loan from Man City, he's surely one of England's biggest prospects at the moment, huge talent. He could even play out on the wings. Got a goal and an assist on our first start for us (a penalty goal, but still).

NhziThz.jpg

My staff don't think he's any better than our current first choice keeper Angus Gunn. I completely disagree, I'm quite happy to have finally picked up an upgrade for the position, which is what he looks like to me. We nearly signed the current starting goalkeeper for the Russian national team instead, but he chose Chelsea over us, the little ****er.

sjjdzYU.jpg

Continuing on a steady pace. A couple of wins including over promotion rivals MK Dons put us top of the Championship, but as we lost to Huddersfield, West Brom overtook us again for 1st place. We remain 2nd going into February, however there was some very bad news in the Bury match: Matej Vydra picked up an injury that will stop him for pretty much the rest of the season. This comes just days after I reluctantly decided to trigger the contract extension clause on his contract, despite his princely wages and advanced age. It also comes at the same time the best alternative for the position, the teenager loanee Alex Ratnage, is also injured for about one month. Damn. I did try to hire a striker, 2 of them in fact, but both failed their work permits under the Brexit rules...

Meanwhile, we knocked out Premier League's Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup!! They're dead last in the Premiership by a margin, but still. It was an epic match that featured 6 goals, a Mason Bennett hat-trick, and this priceless gem between our own fullback Declan John and keeper Alex Gunn:

67e577b10bde8e6cb612edd58d92bfb8.gif

Southampton are next.

VwgXuv6.jpg

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

7UP1W2H.png

January 2024

(Transfers)

Hey, what if I sell our captain and key player, midway through our promotion-chasing season? Björn Engels had already nearly left in the Summer, and with a 16,5M€ (19M€ after all clauses) bid from Brentford I couldn't say no. This was a huge fee for a 29 year old that whilst on paper our best defender, I felt wasn't really that critical to the success of our backline. Maybe this is a gamble that'll backfire but I think we can perform at the same level without him, and bag the money whilst we can. Other players to leave in January included midfielder/forward Aidan Barlow (sold), backup keeper Christy Pym (sold), winger Rabbi Matondo which I had hired in the Summer but was only 5th choice (loaned), and an exciting youth prospect, centre-back Kristian Bradley, went on loan too to get playing experience.

With 5 players gone the squad was now looking a thin in depth so I hired 3 guys:

bIgw6yN.jpg

Squad player to add depth, I see him more as a holding midfielder than as a centre-back, due to the lack of pace for our high line.

J70nWKr.jpg

Well I nearly cancelled the Coady deal because Taylor is a better midfielder. On loan from Man City, he's surely one of England's biggest prospects at the moment, huge talent. He could even play out on the wings. Got a goal and an assist on our first start for us (a penalty goal, but still).

NhziThz.jpg

My staff don't think he's any better than our current first choice keeper Angus Gunn. I completely disagree, I'm quite happy to have finally picked up an upgrade for the position, which is what he looks like to me. We nearly signed the current starting goalkeeper for the Russian national team instead, but he chose Chelsea over us, the little ****er.

sjjdzYU.jpg

Continuing on a steady pace. A couple of wins including over promotion rivals MK Dons put us top of the Championship, but as we lost to Huddersfield, West Brom overtook us again for 1st place. We remain 2nd going into February, however there was some very bad news in the Bury match: Matej Vydra picked up an injury that will stop him for pretty much the rest of the season. This comes just days after I reluctantly decided to trigger the contract extension clause on his contract, despite his princely wages and advanced age. It also comes at the same time the best alternative for the position, the teenager loanee Alex Ratnage, is also injured for about one month. Damn. I did try to hire a striker, 2 of them in fact, but both failed their work permits under the Brexit rules...

Meanwhile, we knocked out Premier League's Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup!! They're dead last in the Premiership by a margin, but still. It was an epic match that featured 6 goals, a Mason Bennett hat-trick, and this priceless gem between our own fullback Declan John and keeper Alex Gunn:

67e577b10bde8e6cb612edd58d92bfb8.gif

Southampton are next.

VwgXuv6.jpg

WE ARE GOING UP,

SAY WE ARE GOING UP!

Just jinxed it for you, also good luck in the cup

Archived