[FM18] The Dynamics of telling you to shove your transfer request up y- a journeyman career

noikeee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lL1J1Pf.png

August 2018

(Transfers)

My HOYD picked up another kid and I loaned in a right-back:

IQhUmX2.jpg

A major upgrade as I was playing a mediocre wrong-footed player (which I don't want for the position at the moment) but this kid is pretty good.

Wd8WQV4.jpg

This was a pretty terrible beginning and whilst I think I'm improving the tactics, I'm quite concerned already. We kicked off with a home loss, then an appalling 2-0 defeat to a lower league club in the cup, and then two scrappy goalfests where we only rescued a draw very late both matches (the 97th minute goal against Roskilde was hilarious, their goalie just dropped the ball in front of Jakobsen!).

With expectations of being near the top of the league, we need to improve fast or I'll very quickly be running into trouble.

n9biLBw.jpg

lL1J1Pf.png

September 2018

(Transfers)

Yet again, my HOYD picked up a kid. Meanwhile I moved for a MC/AMC:

uiwfCny.jpg

This guy comes in as a preventive measure in advance of Munksgaard's predictable exit at the end of December when his contract runs out. He's pretty good.

mR04Ewt.jpg

It was more of the same with the loss to Holbaek, but then things started clicking... and spectacularly so. Granted we seem to save ourselves for the very end of matches - all 3 goals vs Marienlyst in the last 20 minutes, and 3 of the 5 against Roskilde after minute 88(!), but I seem to have finally found a nice balance for my attacking system and it's paying off.

This has turned around our position in the league dramatically up to 3rd, but it's a very tight pack and a couple matches gone wrong could easily ruin our season again - we're just 1 point above the split and we absolutely have the responsibility to stay above it.

T4Sba2l.jpg

Meanwhile, this is what the tactic looks like now. Taming down many settings (duties, roles, mentality) seems to have worked wonders, the attacking players now no longer run brainlessly into offside positions and patiently wait for their moves a lot better. I also improved our corner set pieces as we were conceding far too many goals from corners.

6nVnVst.jpg

lL1J1Pf.png

October 2018

2D07p3Z.jpg

2 more wins extended our good form period and we went all the way to 1st place. Frustratingly, my players still aren't convinced by me (managerial support is "very poor" due to my low reputation) and recently they've all been playing nervously. This resulted in a draw and a defeat, and we drop to 3rd.

We're now 2 points above the split, and nothing's guaranteed yet. The good news is that the 2 remaining matches are at home so we should have an advantage there.

PBqEBTe.jpg

72FA4EX.jpg

Wtf???? This seems extraordinarily harsh. Let's look at the reasons for it:

GxwOE9N.jpg

bp3AFhN.jpg

PX9XIHL.jpg

So the main reason seems to be the players ****ing hate me, but that's exclusively all because of my low reputation. I haven't actually done anything to **** them off. Munksgaard wants to leave, okay, but he's pleased I made an effort to try to sell him. There was also another player that I promised some first team football and I didn't give him, so I told him okay you can go and we automatically released him on a free. No other issues whatsoever.

Competitions-wise we're 3rd which is pretty much what the board wanted, we did get knocked out of the club by a lower league club which was bad, but the board seems to think "we understand why we were knocked out of the cup" by them which probably means it's a high rep team despite being on the lower leagues.

Just seems bizarre that I'm a "result away from the sack" and Insecure, when we're well in our way to meeting our main goals of being near the top which equates to being on the top half of the split I guess. And the league splits in 2 matches time.

I'll be reporting this as a bug...

7 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

I've had similar problems. You have to pull through, everything should be fine after a few months. You simply have to gain the players' trust and overcome the reputation thing,

In the bugs section I found more people with the same issue. Maybe you could post there as well and present your case too, if you still have the savegames from then? This seems a bit buggy and the more data SI has to work with to tackle the problem, the better.

5 minutes ago, deltablue said:

That formation looks mostly familiar ;)

Hahahaha yes! Never imagined I'd end up playing that way, but I found a way to make it all hipster. Raumdeuter-F9-Carrilero-Halfback-SweeperKeeper. :cool:

35 minutes ago, noikeee said:

In the bugs section I found more people with the same issue. Maybe you could post there as well and present your case too, if you still have the savegames from then? This seems a bit buggy and the more data SI has to work with to tackle the problem, the better.

I don't have any saves from that period, but getting promoted with HK triggered a turnaround there.

lL1J1Pf.png

November 2018

Nx0IIkf.jpg

This was painful to watch, as my team of chokers-who-hate-my-guts all played "very nervously" through 2 matches where we missed a crap ton of clear chances, and then also gifted to the opposition a lot of chances that shouldn't happen. Somehow we scrapped through both matches with 2 draws, and against Marienlyst it was absolutely imperative that we got that draw, as they were 5th and if we lost, we'd drop to 5th and below the split. Somehow we survived, 3rd place in the table, and we're through.

Now we're onto "promotion stage" and I had to scratch my head around this but apparently the maths are right - since we qualified together with Holbaek, Marienlyst and Aarhus Fremad, the 9 points we got against those 3 teams are the ones we start the new stage with, in 5th place which ain't bad. This improved my status in the board to from "insecure" to "stable". The bad news? There's a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long winter break and the next match is in March. Which is inconvenient as FM's a bit slow to me after adding those leagues at the beginning of the season...

PatfzFq.jpg

lL1J1Pf.png

Winter break 2018/2019

(Transfers)

That screenie I showed previously might've listed 4 transfers but in truth that's the B team manager and the HOYD doing their business, I only really hired one guy. Meanwhile the contract of Kristoffer Munksgaard ran out, unfortunately, as expected.

a0VtMdZ.jpg

Bangsgaard is a banging player! He looks like an astonishing upgrade, I'm intending to use him as the half-back but the game sees him as the perfect carrilero too - another role that I'm using.

jsRZF9E.jpg

After the world's longest winter break - Jesus freaking Christ that took so bloody long to play through - we did a bunch of friendlies. The results at first glance might not look spectacular, but given that most of them were against teams that play at a higher competitive level than us, either here in Denmark or in Sweden, I'm pretty damn happy with that.

Now the real deal starts, I'm a little concerned that it looks like we need to play often twice per week, but I guess we need to compensate for the 4.5 months of holidays we just had!

lL1J1Pf.png

March 2019

(Transfers)

There was still time for me to pick up yet another player:

HBxNS93.jpg

We're well stacked with playmakers now, but with the hectic amount of fixtures I think I can do with more depth, and I think this guy could play higher up adapted to Raumdeuter too - I've found my Raumdeuter creates just as much as he finishes and this guy seems a great fit for that.

kxsnWEE.jpg

A crazy open 3-3 draw was a bit generous for us as we looked unstable in defence, and then we deservedly beat HB Koge late in the game. In the mean time, a waterlogged pitch had forced us to postpone a match. We remain 5th but now with a game in hand.

69dv9kF.jpg

My inner 12 year old is laughing at a team that ends in -fart leading the league.

lL1J1Pf.png

April 2019

nphGnK9.jpg

A very, very difficult month. 3 heavy away losses put some pressure on my job, but we recovered somewhat with a 1-0 win over Kolding and a 2-0 in Avarta, which was totally worth it even if we had 4 injuries (!).

Promotion now looks like an unlikely dream for this season although there's still 7 matches to go - but we're 7 points behind Vanlose... in 7th.

TJhP0Xa.jpg

lL1J1Pf.png

May 2019

bootqCa.jpg

Is there a comeback on??!! A much improved, enjoyable month sees us emerge undefeated, with momentum after two big wins, and just a single point below the promotion spots. The highlight was an unlikely hat-trick - the first in my career by any of my players - by centre-back Anton Hendriksen against Kjellerup.

3 matches remain and although they are very hard (we host both 2nd placed Vanlose and 1st placed Middelfart), it's also the perfect chance to leap ahead our closest opponents. Can we somehow still do it?

8zIM7Jj.jpg

lL1J1Pf.png

June 2019

d644Syp.jpg

It looked like we had our big break guaranteed when we were beating Vanlose, the team in 2nd place, 1-0, we were dominating, and they were also down to 10 men.... only for us to concede a 92nd minute equalizer out of nowhere! Massive downer as we missed a massive chance to jump ahead of them.

An away win over Kolding, now with the late goal going our way, was sensational, but it didn't put us in a much better position. We went into the final match just 1 point below the promotion spot, sure, but with two teams above us (Vanlose and Varde), and we also had to play against the champions Middelfart. A combination of results to give us promotion seemed unlikely.

In this final match, we squandered a penalty kick by Ferdinand Bangsgaard right before the break, and the game played out, seemingly fizzling out to a boring 0-0, and we knew a goal for us wasn't enough neither. Suddenly our players got lively in the final minutes: Mikkel Jakobsen scored one in the 89th, and the incredible goalscoring CB Anton Hendriksen got another in the 91st. Then we did the math. Vanlose had lost their match, Varde had won, we were level on points with Varde for 2nd. And level on goal difference. But... crucially... not level on goals scored. Varde scored 38, we scored 36. And Varde got promoted instead of us.

fPttlYg.jpg

Honestly? I'm delighted. It might be almost the tiniest margin we could possibly lose a promotion for - goals scored! - but to come so close is an incredible turnaround for how crap we were just a couple of months ago. I think I'm finally getting some momentum in my career.

lL1J1Pf.png

Naestved - 2018/2019 - Season review

Whilst promotion was not an explicit aim of the club for this season, Naestved fans probably feel a bit disappointed that the club came so incredibly close to do it and didn't pull it off. Regardless, a strong end to the season gives some hope that the momentum can be used to return the club to higher levels soon.

Statistics, best 11, and top 5 players of the season

TKor1Vs.jpg

5. Emil Damgaard (DR, DC) - One of our three excellent loan signings, the right-back was a very solid performer all year long on the more restrained role of the two fullbacks. I'm quite happy I've managed to renew his loan already

4. Souheib Dhaflaoui (ST, AMR) - Surprisingly good as false nine and occasionally used as Raumdeuter, the Tunisian forward excelled specially when it came to assisting his team-mates (most assists of the team, 11), but I would've liked more than 6 goals for all the time he was on the pitch.

3. Mads Olsen (MC) - Without ever dazzling, Mads was a very consistent presence in our midfield, usually as the AP/A but sometimes as the Carrilero, and stood out with the side's 2nd highest average rating (7.22). A remarkable feat in a season where he had the fierce competition of Munksgaard (before his contract ran out) and signings Mads Kaalund and Markus Bay. 

2. Mikkel Jakobsen (ST) - Understated most of the season and not really justifying his status as our best forward, he finally exploded in the final months of the season, scoring several important goals to finish far ahead as our top scorer (13 goals). Unfortunately we're unlikely to keep him as his contract with Midtjylland is running out and he doesn't want to sign for us.

1. Anton Hendriksen (DC) - I just snapped up his loan for one more year for good reason. Whilst good all year, the Brondby loanee centre-back had a crazy finish to the season with 6 goals in the last 5 matches including an hat-trick against Kjellerup (!), to add to his very good defensive displays - ended as our 2nd top scorer on 8 goals.

Career progress table

Season   League                  Cups                              Continental                    Other
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Panserraikos (Greece)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17/18    League - 15th           Kupello Hellas - 1st round                                       Relegated, sacked 1 match to go
Naestved (Denmark)
18/19    2.Div - 3rd G2, 3rd PS  DBU Pokalen - 1st round                                          Lost promotion on goals scored

lL1J1Pf.png

Tactics review

Just a quick update on what I've been doing lately tactically.

Il1jnRj.jpg

It's not a huge change from what I last showed, but you might notice a couple subtle differences:

• Left-back has been further tamed from WB/A to WB/S
  • "Look for overlap" TI is gone
  • The left-most, highest up forward has gone from CF/S to CF/A

I figured out such an insistence in the runs of our fullbacks (through "looks for overlap") was detrimental to our game, it slowed us down and then reduced the space our forwards had to run into. The change of duty to the left-back helps with this and also slightly improves our defensive stability.

As for the complete forward, it's complicated. I'm currently deciding on a game-by-game basis on whether I use him on support or attack, and will often switch. I've found that some teams were using a very high line against us and an attack duty there helps exploit the space they give us. Others will give us space between their defence and their midfield (specially teams that field a 4-4-2), so a support duty is better suited; and other times an attack duty seems to play too easily into a good offside trap so it's better to hold him back. I keep an eye on this and adapt.

Set pieces have also been further tweaked, I feel the default set pieces are godawful and there's so much to improve there!

Meanwhile I feel our whole game seems to work better when the opposition attacks us and give us space to counter, which has been the case in the most recent months in the Promotion Stage; it will be interesting to see if back against inferior teams this will continue to work or not. I'm thinking I might have to re-add the more aggressive fullback settings against particularly defensive teams.

lL1J1Pf.png

Pre-season 2019/2020

As has been usual the last few months, my B team manager has gone crazy and picked up tons of players. In reality only the loans are "my" players (I'm really exploiting the loans market here!), although I did hire a young keeper myself for the B team, but he's nothing special to show off. 

You might notice the name of a certain Mikkel Jakobsen, I'm delighted to announce our top scorer for last season renewed his contract with Midtjylland and then we re-loaned him!

D5XtMiz.jpg

eAhI7HL.jpg

We look likely to field an all-teenager duo of CBs this season with this kid next to Hendriksen, it remains to be seen how will team leaders Christiansen and Mertz react though - they're both backup CBs now and not even 1st choice backups!

XSDo6Ys.jpg

The killer signing of this pre-season. I'm delighted to pick him up, he looks like the perfect Carrilero and a whole level above this league. He's probably our best player outright now.

EaD0boh.jpg

A tricky issue with the 2.Division is that we need to have 3 under-21 players on the bench for every match, and we've kinda ran out of good players to put there. Since we could do with a backup left-back I picked up this kid to fill in, and probably sit his arse on the bench the vast majority of matches.

BRYH0YO.jpg

Another pretty good midfielder, we're well stacked in the middle of the park now. Like Jepsen he should be very useful as a U21 substitute.

Squad

Our squad to attack promotion this season:

xl39dM4.jpg

It's a pretty good squad for this level I think, the only thing I'm missing still is an upgrade upfront, althought I haven't given up looking at the transfer market to try to fix that.

Fixtures

FnEkFQr.jpg

It's a solid pre-season, we didn't get to play a single home match, but did well against both higher level teams and lower level, so that bodes pretty well for the season.

As stated previously, there is some real pressure on myself to pick up promotion this season, I'm pretty confident we can do it but it's never ideal to start off with high expectations, any slip and fans, board and players will be annoying me.

lL1J1Pf.png

August 2019

MnDfbqU.jpg

Despite us having kicked off with a nice 3-0 win, it's not been the most inspired beginning. I'm going to file that down to bad luck as we had crap tons of chances against both Naesby and Koge Nord, and it's a bit of a mystery how did we fail to win both (we did have a red card against Neasby, but STILL had one-on-one after one-on-one when down to 10 men).

In the mean time, it was nice to actually get past the 1st round of the cup for a change. Another lower league team awaits in the 2nd round.

iXXRAqS.jpg

6yZtEiB.jpg

Ooooohhhh, nice one, AaB is one of the biggest teams in the country. It can bring a nice bit of nostalgia to our fans for the days we were up there mixing it up with the big boys, and more importantly it can bring gate receipts, too. ;) 

lL1J1Pf.png

September 2019

mce17qc.jpg

Honestly this was a very difficult month and we're not delivering on our pre-season favourite status. Two defeats and a draw to kick off the month put us a real step behind, and is making me re-think considerably our tactics against defensive sides. Thankfully we bounced back with two narrow 1-0 wins to just about enter the bare minimum top 4, but we need to do more than that.

However if the league isn't going as expected, we're on a real high on the cup. Lower league Karlslunde were no problem but then we were up against one of the very best teams in the country, AaB. Amazingly, we took the lead 2 times and outplayed them, only for them to equalize twice... and then in extra time we pulled a killer blow, benefitting from the fact they'd been down to 9 men after injuries. A superb win and we're through to face another Superligaen team, Thisted, in the 4th round.

c6YTukY.jpg

lL1J1Pf.png

October 2019

(Transfers)

One unplanned transfer but too good to pass up:

xmmF9AJ.jpg

We now have an absurd number of CBs and captain Jesper Christiansen is unhappy he might steal his spot (perhaps he should've noticed he already was a backup before this signing), but Daniel seems superb and any increase in quality is always welcome.

BEZ67jE.jpg

This might not look terrible at first glance but I feel this is still not good enough. Losing to Slagelse was a huge blow that temporarily dropped us to 7th, and although we would recover with 2 wins, the 0-0 at home to Marienlyst was also disappointing as we failed to break down a team that played with 10 men for long. Now we're just within the top 4 with only 2 matches to play, and it's all or nothing as failure to make the Promotion Stage would surely be a big humilation. Nevertheless it's a super tight league and we're not far from the top neither, if we can qualify we're still in contention for going up.

In the cup there was another crazy match against a Superligaen club, recently promoted Thisted FC. In a tale of 3 penalties and 1 owngoal, our own Mathias Rosenorn saved one of the penalty kicks, before we took a 2 goals lead then survived a massive charge at the end. It's a sensational qualification for the quarter-finals!

DJbJPdw.jpg

13 hours ago, deltablue said:

It's tough when promotion is expected and it's not completely going according to plan. 

We're on a knife edge. If we can make the top 4, promotion is still very possible, but we only have 1 point over the 5th placed...

lL1J1Pf.png

November2019

etwgDdS.jpg

This was a very ****** way to end the regular season. First, a match away at Roskilde where we were 1-0 up and had a penalty kick (which Bangsgaard missed) and tons of one-on-ones, yet eventually lost 2-1. This put us 1 point ahead of Naesby in 4th for the final match, in which we looked uninspired and limped to a 1-1 draw, barely clinching the necessary 4th place.

We're through but I am now in trouble. We got too few points against Holbaek, Roskilde and Marienlyst, the other 3 teams through, and now start Promotion Stage on a dire 10th place, with a 9 points gap to bridge if we're to get promoted. There's a hell of a lot of work to do after the winter break, and we need to play much much better (and be much more efficient with our chances) if we actually want to do it.

D86ovyL.jpg

On 25/11/2017 at 10:54, endtime said:

How's your job security? Will you get sacked if you don't get the promotion?

Bizarrely I'm "secure" now, despite being further away from promotion than last year, and despite having higher expectations this season.

I think this is because of 2 factors:

- we're doing much much better in the cup, last year we got knocked out immediately by a lower league team, this year we've already beaten 2 teams from 2 divisions above us

- I think my reputation has gone up because the players have gone from hating my guts ("very poor" managerial support) to being okay with me ("average").

I think the reputation and/or managerial support area of dynamics is just far too big a factor in job security.

lL1J1Pf.png

Winter break 2019/2020

(Transfers)

One signing:

uyKHBtm.jpg

It's slightly unnecessary to go for one more forward, as my squad's getting far too big, but I've been unhappy with the performance of Mikkel Jakobsen's supporting crew (all the F9/Raumdeuter alternatives) and I think he can fit in there.

Anu0ohx.jpg

It's a mildly promising but not entirely convincing performance in the winter break friendlies, as I try out a new alternative tactical system which pulled back the F9 to the AMC position and now looks like a 4-4-2 diamond with a winger in place of one of the strikers. We need that to work brilliantly if we're to turn back the 9 points defficit we start Promotion Stage with.

lL1J1Pf.png

March 2020

L4IlA3w.jpg

A good month sees us claw back some of the disadvantage we had, and cut the points gap to 5 points. Nevertheless I'm not 100% convinced as our wins have come from minor superiority rather than dominance, and most goals from set pieces and long shots. Still, a win's a win's a win, and there's a vague feeling of hope coming back now.

There's some problems brewing though - a bunch of misunderstandings and perhaps slightly buggy behaviour have activated a pending promise of giving Kasper Mertz more first team football (absolutely no way, he's a CB with 4 of pace!) and he's a "highly influential player".. uh-oh. We're also gonna lose our superb midfielder  Mathias Hebo, I missed this somehow but he's signed a contract with Vejle for next season...

cr5Qtgy.jpg

4 pace on a CB and he wants to see the field........are you ready to play with a REALLY DEEP DEFENSIVE LINE!  

I usually do so to alleviate the Longball deficiencies in my defense. I currently have a CB Cover with a pace of 7.  He is also Highly Influential, but in my setup with the Deep Defensive Line he does a job and even wins MLS Team of the Week honors!

Hope you survive..........I am enjoying this.  You are much more tactically innovative than I ever try to be. 

Archived