[FM18] The Dynamics of telling you to shove your transfer request up y- a journeyman career

noikeee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

How's Olowu doing for you? I can see his name pop up on the scoresheet from time to time, so not bad I assume?

He's doing okay but he's in a rotation system with right about 4 CBs tbh (Herrera, Sterling, the homegrown Bradley, and now there'll be Zikic too). Hard to say who's the starter, they all seem equal and I tend to drop whoever messes up, which happens often as defensively we're ****.

On 17/01/2018 at 11:33, pheelf said:

Zikic looks a really special player to me. I don't recall ever seeing such a young player with the Perfectionist personality in any of my saves before. I think with him you could be capable of pushing for a top 4 finish.

I'm a little conflicted with him, can't quite decide whether I should use him at CB or as the CM/D.

7UP1W2H.png

January 2026

QUTUK0o.jpg

Suddenly, a terrible month appears. As if getting knocked out of the cup by Mansfield at home wasn't bad enough, we got beat at home by Villa then slaughtered by both Man Utd and Arsenal, as we're yet to find a winning combination for facing the big sides. However, in the middle, there was time for a classic 6-0 humiliation of Brighton, as our players vaguely remembered the form they had shown in the recent past.

With this we drop out of the top 4, and I think we're only in 5th because Chelsea has loads of games in hand after playing in the Club World Cup. We might have to settle for being "best of the rest" behind all the big sides. Except Arsenal who are completely lost, and decided to hire Frank de Boer who had been awful for Benfica. Yeah that will turn out great. Lolz

Also I decided not to do a single transfer in January despite having around 32M€ for transfer budget. I'm saving the cash for when good opportunities appear, I saw nothing interesting for now.

DP0ks7U.jpg

Chelsea with a few games in hand. Otherwise sitting pretty comfortably and definite room to push on. 

Just got to reverse that form though :(

Zikic and Spruit look like absolute gems though. 

7 hours ago, wynter said:

Chelsea with a few games in hand. Otherwise sitting pretty comfortably and definite room to push on. 

Just got to reverse that form though :(

Zikic and Spruit look like absolute gems though. 

It wasn't a great start for Zikic in our backline, dude was part of the CBs duo in that sequence of 14 goals conceded in the last 3 matches in January. I'm starting to think I definitely need to use him higher up in midfield, and just splash the cash on a big strong dumb scary CB instead.

1 hour ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

8-4! :eek:

What a match that must've been for the neutrals ( and the United fans I suppose).

I didn't even comment on that because it's become almost usual in our ultra attacking system. :lol: Utd playing 4-2-4, us playing attacking 4-4-2... it was only ever going to end one way.

The result of that is that I'm starting to experiment with a new tactic I was building in a side FMT career for fun. This 4-4-2 I'm using with Derby is fantastic and we overachieve a lot, but it's far too unstable against teams that attack us. In that side career I built an attacking wide 4-3-3 and a more stable variation of it, specifically for away/tougher matches. So I've started to load up that variation here at Derby when I need it against daring teams, and the first results are promising. It's not a perfect fit since the team is built for a 4-4-2, but I've found a way to cram our starting 11 into the 4-3-3 without needing to use subs, so I can just switch mid-match.

6 minutes ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

Tough month there :( 

I'm pretty certain it's just a temporary dip in form, not really worried for now. ;) 

6 hours ago, gibbo11 said:

Been a good read this thread - until you took over as D*rby :D 

Cracking goal by Spruit! Europa League can't be too far away with this squad

Thanks. Here's two things to further mess with your head:

- I specifically picked Derby County because I thought they were likeable :D

- As a foreigner without any particular allegiance to English teams, I quite sympathise with both Forest and Derby equally :D

7UP1W2H.png

February 2026

(Transfers)

Well I didn't realize the transfer window was still going on when I wrote the January update - it went on until the 2nd of February. Of course, something had to happen on deadline day - Bayern came with a 30,5M€ offer for our keeper Diogo Costa, which matched his release clause, so off he went. Bizarrely, I hired another keeper from Bayern themselves for almost the same price: 27,5M€. Both deals became the biggest ever sale and purchase by Derby County.

Nb4Bl0T.jpg

He is marginally inferior to Diogo Costa, but slightly younger and without a release clause on his contract. I'm unsure whether we're better off or worse off now.

U8LazKW.jpg

A 1 win - 1 draw - 1 loss month might not look that great, but I'm pretty encouraged by it. I debutted the away 4-3-3 at Southampton and we smashed them, it again played out pretty nicely at Liverpool, we got defeated but only marginally against a very good side at the top of their game, leading the Premier League. Against Spurs we used the more usual 4-4-2 and were highly unlucky not to beat them.

We're 6th now, since Chelsea as expected us overtook us after they started playing their games in hand. As things stand, we look likely to cruise to the finish line in this position, unless we do badly the rest of the season (unlikely as we've played most of the tough matches already), or someone from the top 5 hits a bad patch of form too.

ENbHzsk.jpg 

7 minutes ago, noikeee said:

He is marginally inferior to Diogo Costa, but slightly younger and without a release clause on his contract. I'm unsure whether we're better off or worse off now.

Younger, better stopper, more physically intimidating, more aerially dominant, and you turn a profit(albeit a small one at this level).

Bayern....

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Younger, better stopper, more physically intimidating, more aerially dominant, and you turn a profit(albeit a small one at this level).

Bayern....

giphy.gif

A profit is relative, I paid him a small fortune in signing fee / agent fee. But yeah I'm not feeling horribly distraught over this whole sequence of deals.

7UP1W2H.png

Youth intake 2026

oAWeOaD.jpg

tHYOAJ9.jpg

KThcDQS.jpg

I like this intake, specially these two players I'm showing here, both have nicely distributed attributes. Neale has an excellent personality to start off with, and a little extra potential, I think he could be a pretty good, Premier League level striker in the future.

Looks like all the youth upgrades over the last few years are starting to pay off...

7UP1W2H.png

March 2026

wFzNPeN.jpg

We're picking up form again although we should've beaten Stoke, who are our closest challengers for 6th. We remain there in 6th, in very much the same circumstances as before - with a buffer to the top 5 and a buffer to the teams chasing us.

I'm slightly confused by the Europa League places regarding the cups, so I don't know if we finish 6th, does that get us to Europe or not. Chelsea beat Southampton on the League Cup final, I think this means the 6th place gets into Europe and not the losing finalists Southampton. But let's see.

ekQYj7j.jpg

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

7UP1W2H.png

Youth intake 2026

oAWeOaD.jpg

tHYOAJ9.jpg

KThcDQS.jpg

I like this intake, specially these two players I'm showing here, both have nicely distributed attributes. Neale has an excellent personality to start off with, and a little extra potential, I think he could be a pretty good, Premier League level striker in the future.

Looks like all the youth upgrades over the last few years are starting to pay off...

Keeble looks quite good

7UP1W2H.png

April 2026

tZCsNyy.jpg

An inconsistent month with 3 big wins - including a superb one over Man City! - and two underwhelming defeats: against a Leeds side that shouldn't be able to hurt us, and a Chelsea side that whilst world class, it's never nice to concede 5 goals. Of course, we're missing Erwin Spruit now, and we also struggled for a few weeks without the influential Diego Fratucello, thankfully he's back.

We briefly slipped behind Stoke in the table, but with 3 matches to go we now seem to have 6th in the bag. In fact, we're now putting some pressure over Spurs who are just 1 point ahead of us. Can we still surprise them and sneak ahead of them to 5th?

GCJaKbS.jpg

42 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

3 back to back 5-1 results. :D Loving how attacking you seem to be. You're doing very well. Same can't be said of Arsenal...

For a good chunk of those matches I was using the "more stable" tactic, too. :D

7UP1W2H.png

May 2026

zOWzA0K.jpg

It's an unconvincing final month. Dreams of catching Spurs for 5th were shattered when West Ham beat us at home, and now we were under pressure from West Ham themselves going into the final day after we drew in Newcastle. However, in a final day in which we already knew we were in the Europa League, we beat Norwich and West Ham lost points, so we finished 6th as expected.

The predictability of this final spot, and the patchy form in later months, has made this a slightly disappointing end to the season, but in reality 6th is a very nice buildup on the 9th spot we had achieved last year, and I'm pretty happy to get Derby to Europe. And having finished just 6 points away from a CL spot, you wonder if we could get that next year?

CNV8bYs.jpg 

D6Bx9O9.jpg

7UP1W2H.png

Derby - 2025/2026 - Season review

It's a steady buildup on the Premier League as we rise from 9th place last year, to 6th place, returning to European football after a very long absence - technically since 1977(!) although Derby would've qualified for Europe in 1989 had English teams not been banned from UEFA competitions at the time. However, despite the league success, the early elimination from the cup by Mansfield was really quite unfortunate.

Statistics, best 11, and top 5 players of the season

dVGCHAn.jpg

ulD06L2.jpg

5. Ismael Morales (MC) - An understated first season in England by the talented Peruvian international sees him register 7 assists, although he failed to score. The midfielders in my tactic don't really good get ratings so decent-ish ratings for him amongst the regular starting 11 seems pretty good.

4. Ahn Chang-Ho (ML, MC) - A less thrilling season than he had achieved last year, down to 7 goals and 6 assists, but the South Korean continued to be a regular presence in the side with occasional moments of genius.

3. Dan Dickinson (ST, ML, AML, AMR) - The first of the 3 real standouts for the year. It was a surprisingly excellent first season for the club - I had signed him to be an alternative option to Alex Ratnage but he overcame Alex to clearly become 1st choice as 2nd striker in our main 4-4-2 tactic (I adapted him to the wings whenever using the new 4-3-3). 19 goals and 14 assists was a fantastic return for the American striker.

2. Diego Fratucello (MR, ML, AMR) - After a relatively slow start to life in England last year, he absolutely exploded with a superb year (whenever he wasn't injured), an excellent return of 14 goals and 15 assists from the wing with dazzling 7.77 ratings.

1. Erwin Spruit (ST) - I barely even remember anymore there was a forward named Mason Bennett before him. The Dutchman was utterly incredible with 34 goals, 8 assists, 11 player of the match awards, in just 32 matches, before that rather serious injury that took him out for the last 3 months of the season. Also, an insane 7.92 ratings.

Major youth prospects

Warren Jenas (20, ENG) (ST) - Now a wonderkid! Built on the Derby youth academy! In most circumstances I'd be all out to try to develop a homegrown wonderkid, and he did pretty well when called upon once Erwin Spruit was injured - with 10 goals and 6 assists in 10(9) appearances. However with the "inconsistent" trait I just can't trust him to bail us out of tricky matches in such a critical position like the most advanced player, the way Spruit does.

Kristian Bradley (19, ENG) (DC) - I'm also struggling to trust him (he's also inconsistent, and has low jumping), at a time I'm desperately trying to improve my backline - the signings of Herrera and Zikic didn't help him and he ended up playing a bit less than last year. 

Career progress table

Season   League                  Cups                              Continental                    Other
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Panserraikos (Greece)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17/18    League - 15th           Kupello Hellas - 1st round                                       Relegated, sacked 1 match to go
Naestved (Denmark)
18/19    2.Div - 3rd G2, 3rd PS  DBU Pokalen - 1st round                                          Lost promotion on goals scored
19/20    2.Div - 4th G2, 1st PS  DBU Pokalen - Quarter-finals                                     Champions, promoted
20/21    1.Division - 1st        DBU Pokalen - Semi-finals                                        Champions, promoted
Amkar (Russia)
21/22    Prem'er Liga - 7th      Kubok Rossii - 6th round
22/23    Prem'er Liga - 5th      Kubok Rossii - winners                                           Won the cup
Derby (England)
23/24    Championship - 2nd      FA Cup 4th rnd, Lge Cup 3rd rnd                                  Promoted
24/25    Premier League - 9th    FA Cup 5th rnd, Lge Cup 3rd rnd   
25/26    Premier League - 6th    FA Cup 3rd rnd, Lge Cup 4th rnd

European football - 2025/2026

UEFA Champions League

gRlBpEk.jpg

1yDb6i3.jpg

Surprise! An Italian side wins the trophy for the first time since Mourinho's Inter 16 years ago. Antonio Conte's Juve is the team that does it, shocking Simeone's Man Utd which was on course for a magnificent treble. Another interesting feature is that for the first time in a long time Real Madrid makes the semi-finals, and Barça made the quarter-finals, maybe these 2 Spanish heavyweights are coming back.

England

EpWeAdu.jpg 

Jorge Jesus' Liverpool had the advantage for a while, but ultimately it was Diego Simeone's Man Utd that took off for what was at the end a pretty comfortable title. Arsenal has an absolute shocker finishing in 11th - they're on a serious downhill trend not having finished in the top 4 the last 7 years. Harry Kane is beaten by Derby County's Erwin Spruit to top scorer as Derby surprise again finishing 6th. ;)

Spain

HLRs6OY.jpg 

Marcelino keeps ressurrecting Real Madrid, winning the 2nd title in a row. Not much else of note seems to be happening here, other than maybe Sevilla having a terrible season and finishing 14th.

Italy

JgBKatY.jpg 

Antonio Conte's return to Juve ends in spectacular triumph as he adds the Champions League trophy to a dominant Italian title, ahead of the 2 Milanese sides. Genoa are this year's surprise, continuing a steady rise over the last few years to finish 5th. Roma are having a bad run, finishing 9th for the 2nd year in a row.

France

Krz7LTe.jpg 

The Ligue 1 overtakes the Bundesliga in reputation but this is not necessarily great news for PSG and their manager Pep Guardiola, as they're overtaken by a resurgent Monaco side who beats them to the title! This is quite the surprise that I didn't see coming, but at the moment they appear to be building an utterly ridiculous side through shrewd transfer business, that I'm surprised hasn't gone further in the Champions League. Russian manager Igor Shalimov, who oversaw Krasnodar's domination of Russia whilst I was there with Amkar, is the mastermind.

Germany

sJQjNeX.jpg 

And the German champions are... Schalke 04 managed by Roberto Mancini. How random. It's the club's first German title in almost 70 years!!! And it comes on goal difference over Leverkusen. Bayern continue to fail to register and finish 4th - they haven't won the league in 6 years now. Historical club Werder Bremen gets relegated.

Portugal

grUPEcI.jpg 

Frank de Boer's promotion to Arsenal opened up a job vacancy midseason at Benfica, and Mano Menezes took it to JUST limp to the title in a sensational final day, beating Real (not Madrid) with a 79th minute goal whilst they had to wait for Porto to lose away at Sporting, to just sneak ahead on equal points and equal goal difference. So Sporting essentially gave Benfica the title...

5 hours ago, deltablue said:

Very promising Premier League progress already. 

Cheers!

11 hours ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

Definite progress getting in to the top 6, hopefully top 4 next year as 6 points this year isn't bad at all :) 

4 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Good season, Champions League next year?

Yeah I'm silently hoping/aiming at top 4 next year, but I'm yet to see how does the team adapt to having more matches per year with the Europa League, might need to do more rotation, can we handle that or not. If we don't make the top 4 it would be great to at least have some sort of cup run (domestically or in Europe), we've been poor in the cups so far.

3 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Holy moly, Spruit had a great season. I wonder if that had something to do with Arsenal having a surprisingly poor season, though...

Nevertheless, an exciting new squad. 

What do you mean about Arsenal?

Spruit briefly played for them but he was crap there. In fact he pretty much toured half of Europe already and didn't do anything special anywhere, which is why I was a little apprehensive when I first signed him, I'm shocked he's been this much of a success!

pW8FYGD.jpg

One of several highly interesting job offers I got this summer - Fiorentina, Saint-Etienne, Southampton, and I also was linked to West Ham. All clubs with the profile I'd love to take at some other stage, but at the moment I'm finding it quite hard to justify moving out of Derby, it feels like we're just on the heels of the superclubs, so it makes no sense to move to other clubs in the same position, and neither do I want to move to a boring big heavyweight club where it's easy to win. So, in this situation, I could very well make a much longer stint out of Derby than at any other club in my career so far - unless something particularly enticing comes up, or I get bored of Derby.

FIFA World Cup 2026 - Mexico

CSvnJ8p.jpg

Wow, things are getting wilder! The Mexican World Cup sees England add a 2nd world title, 60 years after their 1st, on top of the Euros they just won 2 years ago. Portuguese manager Paulo Fonseca is the hero, although it had been Gareth Southgate's work in the Euros. But the really outrageous anomaly about this competition, in the middle of what were 7 other perfectly standard, normal semi-finalists, is the magnificent run from the United States, beating Argentina, Belgium and France to reach the World Cup final!! To make it even more outrageous, they also helped knock out Brazil in the group stages by beating them 3-0 - Brazil finished behind the US and Japan.

eoGZeFz.jpg

RKDWMoy.jpg 

Julian Green was one of the tournament's highlights, the American winger getting a completely unforeseen player of the tournament award. When was the last time anyone playing on the Dutch league won this?

nxFA7pY.jpg

wLd65D9.jpg 

Another bizarre anomaly was that the top scorer ranks were dominated by two players knocked out early, Italy and Leverkusen's monster striker Pietro Pellegri, and the PSG/Portugal equally monstrous elite forward André Silva. Both managed a ridiculous 8 goals in 4 appearances.

Meanwhile I removed a whole bunch of leagues and lower divisions to speed up my game, unfortunately this meant slashing divisions I've played in previously such as the lower leagues of Greece and Denmark, this is how my setup looks like now:

dLXUelV.jpg

7UP1W2H.png

Pre-season 2026/2027

KNgTbOV.jpg

It's a very active pre-season with 7 signings for the first team and 1 for the future, we spent 83M€. Interestingly, there was also a lot of sales - we essentially cleared out that core of the team that had gotten promoted from the Championship 2 years ago, but were no longer good enough to cut it at the very top of the Premiership. Players like Dujon Sterling, Joseph Olowu, Ben Sheaf, Aboubakar Keita, Kane Wilson, and even club icon Mason Bennett, who scored bags of goals 2 years ago in our first Premier League season, were all sold. But the biggest sale was of Turkish winger/midfielder/forward Atalay Babacan, who went to Zenit for 18,5M€ after a couple of seasons in which I didn't feel he quite performed to the level of his ability. In total we received 61M€ for players, offsetting quite a lot of what we had spent.

The new guys:

KNbRGv2.jpg

The Argentinian international comes in as an extra option for midfield, important since we have lost Mark Taylor, who returned to parent club Man City after 2,5 years on loan for us. I reckon Bastianini looks like a great fit for the most attacking role of our midfield duo (the CM/S) and he could even relegate Ismael Morales to the bench.

OaW3UuG.jpg

Not quite the style of wide player we like, as a classic type of winger, but for 6,25M€ he was a bargain. I might have to do with him on the left what I did with Fratucello on the right, play him as a modifed WM/A role that works out as a slightly narrower classic winger, instead of the IW role. I'd like for him to forget the "hugs line" PPM though.

MCdgLKJ.jpg

First of 3 CBs we signed, to see if we can finally solve our problems with our backline. Adie looks great, he's young, he's English, the only issue is that he had some poor ratings the last couple of years, hopefully that was just because he was in a poor Palace team, and not something about himself.

NFqCS5l.jpg

Comes in as an alternative to Saul Lara on the LB position, as such 18M€ for a backup left-back looks like a lot, but he's young, homegrown in the nation, I feel he can be adapted to the RB position as he's right footed, and I don't trust Lara on the left so he could get the place there anyway.

1cYWCEV.jpg

The 2nd of the 3 new CBs, and one of our best deals, 5,75M€ for a wonderkid is a great fee, and he looks like a brilliant player at the age of 18 already.

uH3AW0f.jpg

One for the future, I got him for just 400K from Slavia Praha, unfortunately he couldn't get a work permit so I sent him to Belenenses on loan for now, but he's already an international at the age of 18.

RQ1ppSc.jpg

The last of the 3 CBs (the 2nd Romanian) and quite possibly the most impressive of them all. He was also the most expensive of all our transfers (20,5M€) and I expect him to be the big scary angry centreback I wanted.

63eVkby.jpg

I prefer my wingers to have better dribbling, but on a free transfer (after he got released by Man Utd) this is another great deal, we certainly have a lot more depth on the wings now.

Squad

ONZceKk.jpg

There's quite a lot to say about this squad this season as it's moved into a few interesting directions:

• the upgrades are mostly to the duo of CBs which is completely new (it remains to be seen whether Higginson or Petcu will partner Albu), this frees up Zikic and Herrera to play as holding midfielders instead of CBs which I think is a better fit for them, so we could also see a completely new midfield partnership between Zikic and new signing Bastianini.

• whilst a huge priority was to improve depth as we're in Europe this season, this is actually a really short squad, some players here are just to make up the numbers like the 3rd keeper Alex Hall, or winger/forward Ollie Watkins who I was unable to sell. We have a very serious unexpected problem with the Premier League FFP regulations, we're above our wage expenditure and could be docked points for next season, so that's why I started selling a lot of backups, to see if we can get the wage bill lower.

• a glaring omission is no single backup right-back, in fact the starter Demeaco Duhaney may be the weakest link in the starting 11 (although he played well last year), I'm trying to adapt both Callum Biggs and Yangel Herrera to the position.

• the transfer window has closed mid-August for the Premier League, however there's still serious interest in some of our key players like Erwin Spruit and Diego Fratucello, Barcelona has already unsettled Spruit, fingers crossed they won't activate his 83M€ release clause later in the month, since I can't sign a replacement as the window for us is shut.

• the Dynamics, specially team cohesion, has tanked a lot after the sales of all those influential players who had been here for years, I hope this won't cost us points early on the season whilst everyone gels.

Fixtures

ExSyl5Q.jpg

I'm hyped up for this season, I think we might have solved or minimized our biggest issue (CBs) and could maybe push for the top 4, however the squad is short (even if the backups now are all pretty good) and I wonder how will we deal with the extra fixtures for the season. Nevertheless, it's my first season in Europe in this career (although I had already qualified for it with Amkar 3 years ago) so I'm quite excited about that. 

If we can't get top 4 then I'd be pretty happy with a cup run, let's see what happens.

y3ENQhJ.jpg

Attn @oriole01, we're travelling to Slovenia!

I'm fairly happy with this draw, as 3rd seeds there wasn't much to choose from, but I'm not particularly scared by this lot of teams, Besiktas are possibly the strongest opponents but even then I'm aiming at 1st place.

21 minutes ago, john1 said:

Good signings :cool: 

What FM skin you are using? 

Wannachup-FM18-Dark, I think it was Makoto Nakamura who recommended it to me, it's quite faithful to the original skin which I like, only adds a few features such as the IR button.

Archived