(FM18) Family kidnapped by Ninja's. Need $$$ for Karate lessons

andychar

The Other Summer

So while I was off swanning about with the France U23's in Japan I also had to make sure I didn't take my eye off the ball with Charlton.

I finish the season how I hoped I would start the new one.

9c11b14127b33ef90e1710235b4b5b3e.png

Apparently winning both games but missing out on the title is enough for a pity award! My third one in League One and hopefully my last one.

I was predicted to finish 18th in the Championship which meant the board expected this...

a71eb6df02add3f0f1c54c8efe29dc9a.png

At least a Mid-Table finish!

Problem is the prediction of 18th took into account loan players who either didn't want to extend or the parent club didn't want to extend. Once the loans finished we went from 18th to 23rd in the predictions table. A Mid-table finish at this point was looking like a pipe dream. To make matters worse we had 2 strikers...in the entire squad.

20e187ae1de95dbb11480095285ba993.png

Its worth mentioning before I go into the transfers that my wage has increased by £500p/w thanks to the promotion. My contract also runs out at the end of the season. For the first time this career I won't be actively pursuing a new contract. If they want to give me one I will look at it but I'm looking depending on how the season goes I will probably be looking to move on. 

900ef70597598559f92ffa9f4922512f.png

Liam Coyle was a rare breed. His parent club (Liverpool) didn't mind him staying for another season and neither did he! Can play 3 key positions so could be invaluable in the Championship.

d3696b25f0d42d4a7b2ae0619f8fa3e9.png

Another kind soul who didn't mind renewing his loan contract was Garcia from our Parent club Manchester City. It meant we were fairly stacked in midfield.

a8077a0fd033e8b56162998ba2df05a1.png

This guy rejected the renewal. I tried again in the hopes of him changing his mind and he did! Will go between CM and ST. Finishing of 10 puts me off but he did just score 5 goals in 6 games in the European U21 Championship.

c82db0414b9b025c5f0bdeba18403157.png

We snagged Will Grigg on a free. Fingers crossed his experience at this level will be beneficial for the team.

eee267341b6b251ea1bdb19f731bc3d0.png

Another free transfer. Time may not be on his side but he will slot in great as a back up. Should still have enough quality to reach at least double digits...

0490a8617585f7c05072d875e564ae61.png

Never mind.

bb6d548215145e5a729e4e60cab599db.png

Hooper's injury means we needed another and we managed to pick up this little gem on loan. With decent speed he could really cut defenders apart.

eb3b30b8ad5a8d847664e66f2e80fdea.png2b623387e7fd1d227d81471cc17caa55.png

Our squad looked like this just before our opening game. It wasn't fantastic and we were lacking in some areas but I was confident we had enough about us to keep our heads above water for the season.

I'm just glad we have a nice easy game to start the season....what?...we got newly relegated Brighton....oh for fu....

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The First Days of the Championship

I wanted a good start, I've never won the opening day of a season, that being said I've never lost either.

aafff59c4be2d912f6b32468612e0ed8.png

Ok fine, I've never won the opening day of a season.

Charlton 0-1 Brighton - We conceded after 3 minutes. That was pretty much the entire game. Literally no more highlights the rest of the game. We had scores, plenty of shots, 3 times the shots of Brighton but obviously nothing that came close to challenging the keeper. Last season we were 2 divisions apart and when we conceded so early I was fearing the worse so I was happy enough to only lose 1-0. We did enough this game for me not to be worried.

Charlton 2-0 Gillingham - We drew League 2 Gillingham and were able to ease past them despite making numerous changes. We started strong but then took our foot off the gas a little bit. We did enough to deserve the win, although the 2nd was a bit flattering. I wasn't complaining, we needed a good cup run, although a little research tells me you get no prize money until the Semi Final!

Reading 4-1 Charlton - Welcome to the championship! We were out classed here from start to finish. We threatened to make a game of it scoring just before half time to half the deficit. We didn't make it count in the second half and succumbed to a much better team. Probably not a game I looked at and expected 3 points but it wasn't an encouraging performance.

Charlton 3-0 Fulham - Now this was encouraging! Our first points, our first win, our first clean sheet and the fans left very happy. I can't express the importance of getting off the mark, I was worried we were really going to struggle in the Championship but this win has made me believe we can stay up and fingers crossed avoid a scary relegation battle. Ben Reeves continued his fine form as he looked unstoppable all game and only stopped getting a hat trick because I'm a git and subbed him. 

Wigan 1-2 Charlton - Snatch and run yall! This was sweet. On a personal level, after losing the title to them this was sweet. We controlled the first half and deserved to take the lead. The second half however we just didn't come out of the changing room. Wigan dominated the ball and were creating some good chances. They equalised with 25 minutes to go and I was not complaining at all, in fact I would have left more than happy with a point. Our 92nd minute winner came completely against the run of play. Basically I cannot complain next time I lose a game I dominated (you'll have to remind me about that).

Charlton 3-1 Brentford - When we drew a home tie against a fellow Championship side I fancied my chances. Couple that with the fact that Brentford started this game rock bottom I really fancied my chances. We delivered with a good performance and a comfortable passage though to the 3rd round. The big boys came into play...we drew Watford...away.

Charlton 5-3 Notts Forest - I was starting to miss games like this! We were 3-1 up before doing our best to throw it away. 2 goals in 6 minutes and it was 3-3. Luckily we responded straight away to make it 4-3 from then on we looked more like scoring. Which we did to make the points safe. Nice 8 goal thriller to finish the month. Can't beat it.

It meant the early season table looked like this.

8ca57612eb337d47f3ae2e9d44e9982f.png

Bad start but great finish to the month. If we can keep this sort of pace I will be more than happy. Anything that can get my stock up as quickly as possible!

18 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

surely the gold medal would go for more than 438 on ebay.

At least a couple of grand.

Klitschko sold his for a million, to fund some children's sports thing he's involved with. Buyer immediately gave it back to him.

5 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

At least a couple of grand.

Klitschko sold his for a million, to fund some children's sports thing he's involved with. Buyer immediately gave it back to him.

I did what any self respecting ICT Technician would and Googled "How much would I get for a gold medal?" and the first listing told me £438. I feel I've been fleeced. Never going to save my family if I keep selling Gold to the lowest bidder!

13 hours ago, Bitner said:

hahahaha! Good Luck mate! Championship will be tough, no doubt!

Cheers,
Bitner 

Cheers Bitner. I would say that every team finds the Championship tough when they come up but Bristol City who came up with us and Wigan via the playoffs are top...so go figure!

Harsh September

421810486994665e709b5979c076df6f.png

Now the first thing you'll notice is the red....lots and lots of red!

Birmingham 0-3 Charlton - Fantastic win and although we struck late on twice to add a little gloss on the scoreline we deserved the win. We didn't dominate by all means we were better with the ball, we created more and on another day could have been 4 or 5 up. Nonetheless 3 will do nicely! It keeps up our great start...gee I hope we don't suddenly fail to win in 5.

Charlton 0-1 Burnley - This was the litmus test to see if we were capable of challenging for a playoff place this season. We didn't get the result we wanted but I wouldn't say we failed. We gave Burnley a good game. They were the better team and probably deserved the win but we stayed in it all the way through and almost nicked a point had it not been for the complete incompetence of Will Grigg. Oh well an encouraging defeat. 

Barnsley 1-1 Charlton - I wanted a little revenge after Barnsley dumped us out of the cup last season. I shouldn't really complain because at the start of the season I would have taken any point going. That being said we were the better side here and if anybody deserved the 3 points it was us. It wasn't meant to be however and I'll take a share of the spoils.

Watford 3-1 Charlton - It was always going to be tricky away to a Premier League team who will probably be taking this competition seriously. They were 2-0 up within the first 20 minutes and I was fearing the worst but we pulled our socks up and made it a game. They were the better team by far but we pulled one back with 10 minutes to go and suddenly a bit of belief crept in. It the hope that kills you! They put the game beyond us in the last minute as we were chasing an equaliser. The frustrating thing about this game was the individual errors which cost us goals. It wasn't a case of Watford being too good it was a case of us letting them look good.

Charlton 0-1 Milwall - Sometimes FM throws up a game which boils your bloody so much that your sure if your dog was close enough you'd kick it. We destroyed Milwall from start to bloody finish. We out shot them 23 to 3 by the full time whistle. I was waiting patiently sure the goal would come, up until about the 70th minute. I've played enough FM over the years to know exactly what was going to happen in this game and low and behold in the 86th minute Milwall struck. Remember when I said to remind me next time I lose but don't deserve it? This one doesn't count...I was fuming!

Hull 3-1 Charlton - Always going to be a tricky game this but the 90 minutes completely went against me. We were awful in the first half, couldn't defend, couldn't create anything. I would normally be a bit more sympathetic away from home against Hull but after the Milwall game coupled with the first half I kinda snapped. I let them have it and they responded brilliantly with a goal straight away. I thought we were on for a comeback...then we were reduced to 10 men following a silly foul and a 2nd yellow. All hope was dashed. But that wasn't enough for FM, apparently my spirited hadn't been crushed enough. An injury 2 minutes after making my 3rd and final sub ensured we finished the game with 9 men. That's when Hull made it 3. Make it stop!

Charlton 4-1 Brentford - Never have I needed a result like this before. Once again we dominated the ball and when we went 1-0 up I was relieved we weren't going to get a repeat of the Milwall game...then Brentford equalised and I saw no end to the spiral. Thankfully we responded well and really made our domination count just before the half. 

So a hellish month leaves the table looking like this

c1c63deae3af16f57f2ea579f9f783f7.png
Truth be told If I was to finish the season here it would be classed as a successful season. As long as I can avoid being dragged into a relegation battle. I'm happy

1 hour ago, andychar said:

I did what any self respecting ICT Technician would and Googled "How much would I get for a gold medal?" and the first listing told me £438. I feel I've been fleeced. Never going to save my family if I keep selling Gold to the lowest bidder!

Couls be worse, chairman'd have sold it for a pack of jolly ranchers.

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

Couls be worse, chairman'd have sold it for a pack of jolly ranchers.

He would have done as well if he got his filthy mits on it!

Bouncing Back!

I really didn't want to be dragged into a relegation battle this season so it was important we didn't let our heads drop.

86cf953120aa16db0ae71c3e810bfcf0.png

It is honestly only just now I've figured out I've stuck a fixture from this month on the end of last month...whoops.

Bristol City 7-1 Charlton - I honestly have no idea what happened. I'll let the screenshots tell the story.

d710530e3d22e904641f6d07eac234db.png

ca4427f39bde0eb32cb8a907dc49a523.png

Ouch my pride.

Charlton 3-0 QPR - Brilliant way to bounce back after such a shocking loss. Last time we lost 7-1 (can't believe its happened more than once) we bounced back then so I was very glad to see the same here. We were brilliant against QPR completely the opposite of the last game. Although I have figured out why maybe I struggled against Bristol City.

26dc48e48780fa98b236a68553cbd012.png

Injury Crisis? What injury crisis?

Leeds 4-2 Charlton - We can't string two performances together never mind wins. We took the lead and were looking the better team until we gave away a penalty. From then on Leeds took control of the game and probably deserved the win. They did get a second penalty awarded as well which they missed. I was not happy, that ref was blatantly cheating!

f8140e214966580af16011eada5742f5.png

Cheating I say!

So the table looked like this.

d0ed13ac2c9502d66a47db2a43ddbc82.png

5 Points off the playoffs but only 6 points off the relegation zone. I know which way I'm looking.

Christmas in November

27d434c9a98ca4cceda60b39606a8249.png

Charlton 2-0 Preston - We naturally followed a 4-2 defeat with a brilliant performance against high flying Preston. We were the better team here and if we could find some way of harnessing this form we could really challenge for a play off place! One goal in each half way enough to start November in style.

Wolves 2-0 Charlton - Disappointing because this time we didn't play badly at all, the only difference here was they took their chances and we didn't. We have been hit massively by injuries. At one point we only had 2 fit strikers and one of them isn't fantastic. The fact that we have stayed midtable is an achievement in itself.

The game against Wolves turned out to be my last one of manager of Charlton as I got a new job...

Good morning! 

Good that you got a new job, as a money-grabbing manager, that's what you want to hear, but i really think that your lack of consistence would hurt in the long run.

Cheers,
Bitner 

Black is the new Red!

A little clue there.

I applied for two jobs. Both of them in the Championship. Both of them massively underachieving and both would be a massive step up. I was offered the job at one club before I even got an interview with the second. It took me about a second to accept. 

I've enjoyed (mainly) my time at Charlton but I want to start making the big bucks I needed to move around from a team who was 5 million in the red.

629ff90f1b169cf802997c45f4b74eea.png

I would be taking a 10k p/w pay rise. (It says 12.5k but I talked them upto a 13.5k p/w wage). 

f06773360d56ae6a148e1749c7bafe74.png

I had gone from 5 million in the red to a bank balance of 41m and that wage budget has increased from 90k at Charlton to 676k here!

The question is where had I gone?

6f190de480747aa5107f2cee07566e62.png

The Black Cats of Sunderland.

53fdc3966f3efdbbdbdf9b572a8cb065.png

And looking at the league table I had a job to do straight away. Objective this was is to just survive. Added bonus would be to finish ahead of Charlton.

12 minutes ago, Bitner said:

Good morning! 

Good that you got a new job, as a money-grabbing manager, that's what you want to hear, but i really think that your lack of consistence would hurt in the long run.

Cheers,
Bitner 

Morning!

I felt guilty leaving Solihull Moors for Charlton but going to Sunderland and seeing the difference in the Finances I felt this was a complete no brainer! 

1 minute ago, andychar said:

Morning!

I felt guilty leaving Solihull Moors for Charlton but going to Sunderland and seeing the difference in the Finances I felt this was a complete no brainer! 

Both were no-brainers! No one can judge you, except the brigade of 'one club manager', but you're not one of those, thankfully!

Cheers,
Bitner 

10 minutes ago, Bitner said:

Both were no-brainers! No one can judge you, except the brigade of 'one club manager', but you're not one of those, thankfully!

Cheers,
Bitner 

I can feel the eyes, slowly and painfully judging my lack of loyalty!

6 minutes ago, andychar said:

I can feel the eyes, slowly and painfully judging my lack of loyalty!

I don't care. I rather see a journeyman than a 'I take this 10th tier Andorra's team to the Champions League triumph.'

Cheers,
Bitner 

What I'm Walking Into

Shockingly enough the first thing I did when walking into the Sunderland job was ask to go on a coaching course. I hadn't been able to due to financial concerns at Charlton but with 40 million in the bank I knew there wouldn't be any problems here.

Chairman said no.

Apparently I need to prove myself first and my recent run of results have been terrible. I was left wondering if the chairman actually knew I was the new manager.

Second thing was Ndong wanting to leave. He wasn't happy the team had been relegated last season and were bottom. Fair enough. I tried my best to convince him to stay but hes not budging. He's worth 16m so my first thought was "I bet I could get 30m for him here". Just about to offer him to clubs when out the corner of my eye I spot his minimum release clause...of 11m. Sunderland are idiots! I'm going to lose our best player for only 11m and probably going to get the blame for it!

Turns out I don't have a 30 day refund policy so I'm stuck here. Better get to know the players.

b61e836398464d509062f9dc3f204809.png

7bf890048bf473ee5f540b75c58786e6.png

Ok looking at this team there is no way they should be struggling this badly. My expectation is to avoid a relegation battle, with this team I'm more than confident of doing that.

888721c47c18fb986ca494f74b3d1ff8.png

I didn't want to take a screenshot showing that nobody is in support of me and 5 players oppose me. It made me sad. 

So just over a month until the Transfer Window opens then the fun can really begin. Not that I have a massive amount of money to spend anyway!

Proving my Worth

The players didn't want me there its was obvious. The only way to win them over is by performing.

It was important I showed everybody I was cool calm and collected.

46499dccc393047e631eb65984fdba29.png

Ask me the same question again...I dare you.

f5a223494623bc59ba0a7544c15f3599.png

I don't want to toot my own horn but can you guess when I took over?

Sunderland 2-1 Wolves - My last game with Charlton was against Wolves so it was fitting my first game with Sunderland was against them. Different team different result although we were made to sweat. Life started brilliantly when the on loan Nicholas Gallimore struck early. Wolves equalised not long after completely against the run of play. We hammered the goal and I was starting to think I was going to left frustrated until Kadlec glanced a header past the keeper and we held on for a massive first win.

Sheff Utd 0-2 Sunderland - Like I said before there was no way this Sunderland team should have been struggling as they were. Another comfortable victory against a Sheff Utd team who offered nothing at home. Same scorers, different order. Good start but we still found ourselves in the relegation zone. More wins were necessary.

Sunderland 3-0 Norwich - This was the test, Norwich were floating around a playoff place and we passed it with flying colours. Another great win and another clean sheet, I could get used to this. Gallimore is already proving himself as indispensable and if we are going to climb the table he would need to stay fit.

I finally got an update on Brexit in November. I thought it had passed me by unnoticed.

9234248aec55c0888e2862dd68e8826f.png

What do we think? Could have been much worse, might bump up the price of British players. 

So 3 wins from 3 left the table looking like this.

3f583d68c3ade34ccc5ec06324afe625.png

I'm not overly worried about being involved in a relegation scrap. If we keep performing as we are then a nice safe mid table should be more than achievable. 

35 minutes ago, andychar said:

What do we think? Could have been much worse, might bump up the price of British players.

Pretty much the easiest possible. Now any side can pick up random South Americans etc. that are good but never would have had work permits before.

10 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Pretty much the easiest possible. Now any side can pick up random South Americans etc. that are good but never would have had work permits before.

Well not going to complain at all then! This is the first time I've been affected by Brexit in any way on FM. 

Driving it Home for Christmas

December started with the best of news.

b3a968d556d7e8382599ffe49df92b46.png

My first choice RWB gone for the season.

979e324ac72240e11460e18df6df7f44.png

Sheff Wed 0-3 Sunderland - A poor first half from both teams here and I was worried we were going to drop our first points under me. But we came out in the second half and put in a performance I've come to expect from this team. Gallimore once again played an integral part in us picking up the 3 points. The march goes on.

Sunderland 2-0 Charlton - Obviously I wanted to win this game. A win took us above them in the league. 2 goals in 2 minutes were enough. It wasn't a classic by any means. Not always going to put in a perfect performance but this game showed that we can still grab the win even when we aren't at our best and if we are going to perhaps challenge up near the top then that's just as important.

Derby 2-2 Sunderland - Is there anything sweeter than a 92nd minute equaliser? We were second best most of this game, we had a good spell to start the second half where we grabbed our first equaliser but they took control again and deservedly regained the lead. A draw was probably unjust but I'm not going to complain in the slightest. Still unbeaten as Sunderland manager and our march up the league continues. This would be the first of 5 away games in a row!

MK Dons 0-2 Sunderland - A little background first. When I joined the first thing I saw was Ndong unhappy. He wanted to leave and with a 11m release clause I wasn't going to be able to stop him. He's been injured since I took over and this game was the first time I was able to pick him. Straight into the line up. He was sent off after 20 minutes. He will be banned for 3 games and with the transfer window opening soon he will gone. Basically in 2 months he will have played 20 minutes under me and picked up 2 yellow cards! The players were fantastic down to 10 men and although we may have gotten lucky with a disallowed goal that went against MK we were more than worth the 3 points. Massive win and massive performance.

Cardiff 0-1 Sunderland - We stole this one. Plain and simple. Stole it. Neither side really played well enough to warrant the win and I was more than happy to come away from Wales with a point until Asoro pounced on a mistake and slotted past the angry looking keeper. Its results like this will make the difference at the end of the season. I'm just glad we weren't on the receiving end.

Huddersfield 2-1 Sunderland - Pretty crappy FA Cup draw and it means my winless streak stretches to 4 in the FA Cup. I love the cup as well so disappointed we went out so early but we were second best against the Premier League side. We were 2-0 down before making a game of it but we never really looked like grabbing a second. Disappointing way to end the year with my first defeat under Sunderland.

FA Cup aside it was a great month and it left the table looking like this.

539d74ba6310c9dd68080c2a444bc557.png

We had shot up the league and now playoffs weren't just a pipe dream they were a potential reality. 

So much so I increased my expectation to mid table and was able to bag an extra couple of Million just before the window opened.

18 minutes ago, noikeee said:

You already swapped places with Charlton. :lol:

I hadn't been here since before the France U23s part-time job. Bet you didn't expect to be managing Mbappé that early in your career, eh?

Haha I didn't. I was disappointed they turned down a 3.2million bid from Sunderland for him.

Transfers

These happened throughout the month of January but thought i'll just stick them here.

d4cc6d8ceb1717fb427ade9e4c2ff3ee.png

I'll get this completely not surprising transfer out the way first. I'm just glad he's out the country and it gives us some scope to bring in a number of players. 

79cc555da82ab87f39855859f4ac05f5.png

For the first time in this career I'm playing with a CAM. He will be lovely back up for that position. I had him at Charlton last year and I hope he can perform just as well in the Championship.

41a182d5f87d777bbc1a3b31b5c9f721.png

Ciaran Clark became my first ever "big money" signing. He cost 4.1m. Wrong side of 30 but will able to do a great job at this level. Truth be told I was thinking of the future which this one and a potential promotion to the Premier League.

49f5b6c1f2df631c6a9042d9688b0c29.png

At only 1.1m I'm calling this one a steal. He will improve in the future and will give us good cover across the entire back 5. 

340a3013e8827762b71dca2e572d15c2.png

On loan from Celtic. Has the potential to do very well in the Championship. With the ability to improve in the future he will be one we will be keeping an eye on if he does well.

6a8129f79a485b9f922e41b33d6c0142.png

I came into the transfer window with the mentally of needing a striker. Our best striker is on loan from West Brom and way out of our price range so I wanted somebody permenant to come in. Ashley Barnes was available and I snapped him up. Again wrong side of 30 but proven at this level. He set me back 4m.

I said goodbye to somebody who I don't think has played a single minute for me. Decent player but plays in a position I'm not interested in. We got 10m for him. Not going to complain.

We finish the transfer window below wage budget with 3m in the bank. If that doesn't finally prove I can handle finances I don't know what will!

Trying to remain unbeaten

Not counting the cup defeat we went into the new Year unbeaten under me. If we were to make a playoff push we would have to maintain that record.

e133c8998ab327d432d1b75e8b5b5215.png

This came in my inbox before the Reading game.

b24d6426905b6c444ef8866e7da14f74.png

Awwwww isn't that nice. It's gone quick!

Reading 1-1 Sunderland - We weren't fantastic here and really had to work hard to even grab a point. Both teams had chances to snatch it at the end but a point was the fair result. We maintain the unbeaten run under me but we will need to be much better if its going to continue.

Sunderland 2-0 Fulham - Oh how sweet it was to be back home! We didn't let the home fans down although we tried our best. Again not the best performance we are going to give this season but a massive 3 points. Gallimore is way too good for this division. Kadlec is decent as well although he seems to spend more time in the physio room than on the pitch. Hence why I wanted some strikers!

Sunderland 2-0 Brighton - This was a brilliant performance again a team challenging for the title. We dominated from start to finish, were good value for our 2-0 win and the defence defended brilliantly when they were called upon. Everybody enjoyed a good game and its performances like this which really make me believe we can challenge for a playoff place and maybe even more! Why not!

Wigan 2-4 Sunderland - We were 2-1 down at half time and we were clearly second best. A boot up the arse at half time helped produce the best 45 minutes of the season. We were brilliant and not only did we come back to claim the points but we could have had 2 or 3 more. Not that I was complaining. We showed a fight that was great to see.

Sunderland 1-1 Notts Forest - Frustration! We dominated this game and should have been clear. We must have hit the woodward 4 times and when we went 1-0 up I thought the floodgates would open. Fair play to Forest they stayed in the game and took the chance when it came to them but my God this is 2 points dropped.

Another unbeaten month left the table looking like this.

de0517af6bfc999710ad70bc2c96c563.png

We are so close to the playoffs I can smell them! Still some work to be done though.

On the Charge

February needed to be a good month if we were to break into the playoffs.

0868369483fda3687bd2c7ac380ca99a.png

4370af21edd45b2dc5a7cc9847d6a99d.png

Yeah don't know why I took a screenshot halfway through the month. Oh well, I'm very slowly getting better.

Birmingham 3-4 Sunderland - Its been ages since I've had a 4-3 now scores have gotten a bit more...well...realistic. I forgotten how many years a game like this took off you. We were 2-0 up and cruising. I was expecting a cricket score, they something happened. We stopped playing. Suddenly it was 2-2 and I wasn't happy. Luckily we retook the lead and all was right with the World. Then once again we stopped playing! Luckily with only 5 minutes on the clock we took the lead for the 3rd and final time. That's how you earn 3 points!

Sunderland 2-0 Burnley - Big game and a big result as we took down promotion chasing Burnley. It was a close run game and neither side could be separated in the first half. We started fast and was able to take an early 2nd half lead. We looks more dangerous was tried to make it 2. I thought we were going to regret these missed chances but Aitchison made it safe. He has been brilliant since arriving on loan from Celtic and worth only 1.1m I will be trying to buy him at the end of the season.

Barnsley 1-1 Sunderland - Frustration! We were in control and were looking for the 2nd to kill the game after a great start but one defensive mistake allowed Barnsley back in it. They actually missed a sitter in the last minute which I was grateful for but in the end we should have taken all 3 points. We just weren't clinical enough.

Sunderland 1-0 Milwall - I thought this was going to be a repeat of the last game. We dominated from start to finish but just couldn't put the game to bed. These sort of games are harder on the old ticker than the 4-3 games! Luckily this time we were able to hold on and grab a vital win.

Hull 1-1 Sunderland - If you had offered me a point before I would have taken it but...

10469491eeaf069a6cd6db4c3799feea.png

An 85th minute equaliser left me very frustrated. Still we remain unbeaten since mid November. 

The table now looks like this.

ffebc4de38609987490148abee18acd1.png

On the inside looking out. We now need to strengthen our grip on the playoffs.

Short and Sweet

We were actually only 6 points off the automatic promotion places and I would be foolish to not try and aim for it.

ab1d99cdc68bcf87f1c1a1d132d77e6a.png

Frustratingly enough we only had 3 games in March. It meant April would be cruel. It would include 5 games in 10 days.

Sunderland 3-0 Brentford - The scoreline flattered us slightly but I'm never one to look a gift horse in the mouth. We were comfortable once again, I had gotten used to dominating games but we only made the game safe with 8 minutes to go. We need to better at closing games out and making sure we can rest some players for future horrible months.

Bristol City 1-1 Sunderland - Honours even and no cause for complaints. Bristol City have had a brilliant season and they showed us why. They started quickly and deserved to be leading at half time. We came out in the second half and dominated the game and got what we deserved with 20 minutes. It seemed both teams were happy to settle for a point. 

Sunderland 3-1 QPR - Our home form wasn't fantastic so I was important we put in good performances at home. This was one of them, for a change we put the game to bed early meaning I could rest some players ahead of a busy April, although International Call Ups would mean resting players was pointless. We lost Gallimore for 5 weeks. This could be massive.

It seems in my confusion by the lack of games in March I didn't take a screen shot of the league table. We maintained a play off place and started April only 5 points off 2nd place. 

April was going to be huge.

We got our youth intake this month.

c4e8969ff79dc37013209ac0b7cca62d.png

Truth be told I don't really care about this. I'm enjoying my time at Sunderland but if somebody bigger comes along with a bigger pay slip then I'll be gone.

fed50ccacc750153b354968ae5d6074b.png

Stop. Stop. Your embarrassing me. 

Something about Run and Legs and Generate and Fantastic

5 games. 10 days. Season on the line.

b16ba702ed5051c084ad8d0fd1835e42.png

I cant really complain about 4 games in 7 days because everybody has to do it. I don't feel cheated in anyway because its not like its just me.

Leeds 1-2 Sunderland - We stole this. We were second best throughout the entire game and amazingly we took a 1-0 lead into half time. It was a weird team talk because we hadn't played well but were winning, I didn't know what to say. Luckily I didn't ruin things and the lads continued to be second best while winning. We made it 2-0 4 minutes from time and although Leeds made it a nervous last few minutes we held on for a massive 2 points. Not deserved but I don't care!

Sunderland 3-0 Preston - Brilliant performance and a great win. We were able to rotate a little bit here because although Preston were in the top 8 I felt we had enough quality to win at home. Clark bagged his first goal either side of Aitchison's double. He had really stepped up in Gallimore's absence and I was going to do my best to get him permanently at the end of the season. 

Wolves 1-3 Sunderland - Job done in 45 minutes. This was huge because it meant I could rest some players. Wolves seemed to be struggling a lot more with the hectic schedule and we took full advantage. We even had time to miss a penalty late in the game.

Sunderland 3-0 Sheffield United - Another brilliant performance and another job done in 45 minutes. The fact we are finally able to put teams to bed has given us a massive advantage over teams whose fitness level is struggling. We march on and remain unbeaten since I took over (in the league anyway).

You'll notice this is only half the month. Its because things were getting slightly close.

c9d0d0692dce31f89e54a597eac954f9.png

Bristol City we are coming for you!

a1b797fc1a5a981dc84c8ffa8c9d51f8.png

Never mind.

16a00fedee003071aba9f6e692726a7e.png

Norwich 7-2 Sunderland - The number of times I've lost a game by conceding 7 goals in this save is too damn high! We were 2-0 down early on but 2 goals in 3 minutes brought us level and I honestly believed we would win. Then 4 minutes in the second half changed everything. We went 3-2 down then were reduced to 10 men then were 4-2 down. From then on it was just hard viewing. Believe it or not the stats were level. We had 1 more shot than them all game, its just they were a wee bit more clinical than we were!

e36cacf57e30e9f31705a1891e297877.png

So here we are. The run in. I have 4 very winnable games and 12 points from 12 is the bare minimum. I look towards that lovely game Burnley v Bristol City and think that's when I can pounce. 

Game 43

We kicked off against Sheffield Wednesday first meaning we could go 1 point off top (albeit with Burnley and Bristol City left to play).

fd7074d753f23e3ded2267b5c8d0c9d8.png

Its about sending a message!

Sunderland 4-0 Sheff Wed - I was nervous to see how we would react to the 7-2 hammering. It was a tight affair in the first half and it could have gone either way. Luckily we grabbed a goal just before half time to settle any nervous. We seemed to regress back to know being able to kill games and I thought we were going to miss a golden opportunity as Wednesday started to come into the game. We hit them on a counter and it seemed to kill Wednesday off. 2 goals in stoppage time added a lot of gloss to the scoreline but it was the perfect response to a 7-2 hammering, and a clean sheet as well.

So 1 point behind. Did the pressure get to either team?

1092f2067c0be0942d18bd424b9b13c6.png

No.

3 games to go.

Game 44

Away to Charlton, they would love to stick the knife in my promotion bid. Apparently we didn't leave on good terms. Who knew!

0629436c215991bd667fede5f94b9a99.png

Charlton 0-1 Sunderland - Suck it Charlton! Gallimore how we have missed you. His market value has sky rocketed and I don't quite think we will have enough to match the 20m value! That being said we are enjoying him while we have him and he could fire us in the Premier League! We did what we needed to do. We were in control and apart from maybe 1 or 2 chances we were never worried. I would have liked it to be a bit more safe but will never complain at 3 points.

So we did our job. Could somebody help us out?

a1b1ce3b35cf67a428c2d6a4fbae98a8.png

That would be a no. 

Burnley v Bristol City next. Either way if we win the Promotion race will go down to the final game.

We got some bad news just before the next game however.

89bfedd19767a99e222187348e4027e3.png

These old men with their dodgy hips!

Game 45

It seems in the excitement of the end of season I forgot to take a screenshot of the Burnely Bristol result.

Burnley 2-0 Bristol City

It meant Burnley were Promoted and because this game was played a full day before I played it meant I knew a win would take me 1 point behind Bristol City with 1 game to go.

3134c9a45cc54cf721ba55a48e197303.png

Sunderland 2-0 MK Dons - An early goal really helped to ease the pressure and from then on we were the better team. Aitchison made the points safe mid way through the second half and we maintained a very professional performance throughout. We did what we needed to do.

18437220434483dc33c87d80eebda0b5.png

It set up a nervy final game of the season.

We were at Home against relegation threatened Cardiff.

While Bristol City were also at home against an already safe Barnsley. 

It meant before a ball had even been kicked we knew we needed a lot of luck.

Game 46

Here it was. The big day. All we could do was win and hope for a little luck elsewhere.

15th minute - Bristol City take the lead at Ashton Gate and the place goes mental. As it stands they are Promoted to the Premier League for the first time in the clubs history. It would also mark amazing back to back promotions. Bristol City 1 Barnsley 0. Its still 0-0 at the Stadium of Light.

19th minute - Stunned silence at Ashton Gate as Barnsley equalise against the run of play. 1-1 in this game but its still 0-0 at Sunderland. As it stands Bristol City are still promoted.

39th minute - Its still level at 0-0 at the Stadium of Light. Sunderland have huffed and puffed but to no avail. Its no longer level at Ashton Gate however and the champagne is put on ice. Bristol City have retaken the lead. 2-1 here and at this point Sunderland need a miracle.

Half time - Bristol City 2-1 Barnsley, Sunderland 0-0 Cardiff

50th minute - Still waiting for the breakthrough at Stadium of Light but its all happening here at Ashton Gate as Bristol City have made it 3-1. Fantastic performance under pressure and it looks like the Southern club are going to be promoted.

59th minute - Well now, hold the phone. Barnsley have pulled one back 3-2 and suddenly the atmosphere at the Stadium of Light changes. They need a goal to really put the pressure on Bristol City.

69th minute - They have huffed and puffed all game but finally the ball hits the back of the net and Sunderland are winning! Who else but Gallimore, on loan from Sunderland, the leagues top goal scorer and suddenly the atmosphere has changed from party mode to tense and nervous at Ashton Gate as we head into the final 20 minutes.

88th minute - Sunderland have a penalty, this will wrap up the points then all the attention will turn to Ashton Gate for the final few minutes. Aitchson steps up...sends the keeper the wrong way! 2-0 here, game over. Game very much on at Ashton Gate.

93rd minute - There has been a goal at Ashton Gate! Has the party started or is it a cruel twist of fate for the Bristol side....

Game 46

So after a very dramatic final day of the season the final league table looked like this...

75efa6dc9af3ccc03b37bbf7d66117f0.png

Bristol City scored late on to win the game 4-2. We took 27 out of 30 points in the last 10 games. I did everything I could but it just wasn't enough. The lottery of the playoffs awaited. 

Play Off Semi Final 

Brighton recorded a 1-0 win at Elland Road to take full control of their tie. We were away first and needed a positive result. I've been in this situation enough times to know losing Promotion on the final day can have a negative effect on players.

10be19399797b53e760593157f0096f3.png

Hull 1-2 Sunderland - Huge win and a great performance. Honestly its not worth thinking about just where I would be without those two up front. Its a shame they are both on loan. It was a cagey opening half hour with neither team really bursting forward but the game opened up a bit once we took the lead. We were good value and in the second half we tightened our grip on the game. We deservedly went 2-0 up and everything was looking peachy. Hull were reduced to 10 men later on which meant Nacho Monreal would miss the second leg. A big blow for them. We lost our concentration towards the end assuming it was all over but the shouting. They grabbed what could turn out to be a vital goal and leaves this tie open. We are still favourites however to make the final. I haven't lost a game at the Stadium of Light and I don't plan on starting now.

Leeds played a blinder and managed to over come a 1-0 home defeat against Brighton. They won 2-0 away and await the winner of Hull v Sunderland.

d176326d99a22293666dff4d5cf0fc83.png

Wembley here we come!

Sunderland 2-1 Hull - We got off to the perfect start but were pegged back almost immediately.  Suddenly things were getting rather intense. Both teams had chances to take the lead but the finishing was below par. Hull started throwing everything at us and I was aware a goal would mean extra time. Luckily we were able to hit Hull on the counter to book our place in the play off final. Two great performances.

8c643e19f743965628c0bc83117bd2e5.png

90 minutes away from the Premier League.

Play Off Final

I went into the Playoff Final not as confident as you would have thought. We had beaten Leeds recently but we weren't the better team and we were quite lucky.

That being said we had only lost twice since my arrival. No mistakes, lets do this!

e4a7c0e83258dc7039e3865c94836d7e.png

I have never been more livid in my life!

We dominated the game from start to finish but missed chance after chance. They came here playing for penalties. 4 out of the 6 shots were from long range and didn't come close to troubling the keeper.

The penalty shootout will haunt me for years.

The playoffs apparently had adopted ABBA. 

This meant when Leeds missed back to back penalties at 3-2 we had 2 chances in a row to gain promotion. Both of them weak a$$ penalties. Then amazingly Leeds missed another so it was going to be 3rd time lucky! Nope. Missed again. It was at this point I knew it wasn't going to happen so when Ciaran Clark stepped up to take a penalty to keep us in it I knew he was going to miss before he even struck the ball.

Live footage of me after the full time whistle...

Salty GIF

Leeds promoted. Sunderland forced to spend another season in the Championship.

Absolutely gutted.

Awards and Shizzle

Bad end to the season but the show must go on.

93d5800f48700a7f5506769114dc478c.png

Thing I need to remember is when I took over Sunderland were rock bottom. The raise in the table can be seen in the chart. The biggest thing to take away from that screenshot is...when I play Norwich its lit!

e2265ff1a2dee25c500b57e55817175d.png

Gallimore. Championship Top Goalscorer, Championship Player of the Season, Sunderland Player of the Season. We will miss you. 

On a more personal level.

8c05d5871fb3b66da527632552597c6d.png

2ccd8eb7447e64ff080a5f31784e39bf.png

By Christmas I could have my first Million!

We pick ourselves up and go again. Next season. No excuses.

Superb climb up the table, absolutely gutting end just missing out on automatics and losing the playoffs on pens - to Leeds of all teams.

I have no doubt that you'll win the title next season, perhaps you could sell the trophy while no-one looking?

On 02/12/2017 at 05:15, nie jem frytek said:

I predict 1st place finish next season. :)

The press also predict first place too!

On 02/12/2017 at 07:50, smp20 said:

Superb climb up the table, absolutely gutting end just missing out on automatics and losing the playoffs on pens - to Leeds of all teams.

I have no doubt that you'll win the title next season, perhaps you could sell the trophy while no-one looking?

Cheers! It was a pretty soul crushing way to end the season. I text my mate telling him the take of the playoff final and his response was “Leeds...”. I did everything I could but it wasn’t meant to be!

18 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Quality :lol:

I wasn’t sure if I should be proud or ashamed. 

17 hours ago, Bitner said:

Heartbreaking, but it was a fantastic season, don't let the salt blind you :D

Cheers,
Bitner 

Thanks Bitner. I learnt a valuable lesson...never play a playoff final in your lunch break at work. Hiding the saltiness was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do!

After the end of the season I’ve taken a few days off but back on it now. It’s a strange feeling having the expectation to win. I have a feeling this is going to be a very important season. 

On 03/12/2017 at 11:44, noikeee said:

Can't really blame yourself there, that was a spectacular turnaround over the half - season you were in charge. On this form I expect easy domination of the Championship this year! No pressure ;)

I don't blame myself. I blame the 3 players who missed the penalties to win it then I blame Clark for missing the penalty to keep us in it :lol: b******s.

Fairly Odd Summer

I went into this Summer with a weird feeling. I know if I had been in control all season we would have been promoted...comfortably. So what did I do in regards to strengthening the squad?

First thing I did was renew the loans of a few players I knew would be key if we were to dominate next season.

75506c304cb2f16d27d3214a55ed06a2.png

Starting with this guy! Instrumental in the midfield and way to good for the Championship. I was amazed when he agreed to another year but I wasn't going to complain in the slightest.

a519965207a2134415a66082729b9ec8.png

Another renewal and maybe slight controversial. I have high hopes for Garre, I don't know what it is about him but I like him.

I had no chance either keeping Gallimore on loan or buying him. Luckily I was about to grab the other in form striker on a permanent deal.

c96cc0dd23cf6412325f0ab7f191fb2c.png

Fingers crossed he carries on his fine form for us and we don't end up wasting the 10 million it took to get him!

We were still a bit short on the attacking side of things...so I went a bit mad.

9b49b36b8393214109ed340e8a673667.png

On loan from West Brom just like Gallimore was. Fingers crossed he's just as useful!

15f59a42777ddcc1dcd19d6aa12b7877.png

Also on loan from Arsenal. He could go either way, will most likely be a back up to Roberts.

1366bc827372c278252b51bbeb70014b.png

We spent 200k on a Goalkeeper I hope will never see a minute of action. (I sold every single back up keeper...without even knowing! Whoops).

I lost Djilobodji or however you spell his name. So this as his replacement.

51cfb817f40f449baa582dd630e48494.png

Similar player but 9 years younger. I wasn't complaining in the slightest. He was mine for 3.5m. 

aa579b954b27d9bb3c75dd8d3b486e8b.png

I couldn't change the expectation for the league. It was very clear what was expected of me.

5e2836b9e2679498308e026541bcb3ca.png

Absolutely no excuses this season. I want up. I want to win the league and I want to break records.....ok I'll settle for a promotion by the skin of our teeth.

Personally it was a good summer.

bc16cb9849ade1bcd6fe5e387c59cd05.png

New contract with a slight increase in wage.

c478c9eefec4217b3d4829278e1c393e.png

Smashing the badges.

e945155c129b965d3f0b66ec4e980cc8.png

And being able to continue with badges.

0d120cb2a8be25fff8ebdb2426491dfe.png

Brexit finally happened. Nothing like a slow burner!

For the first time this career things were expected of me. It was time to deliver! 

Opening Day Hoodoo

I've yet to win an opening day fixture but this season I was confident of breaking the hoodoo.

856ebf419300b49668d29bde97e189e1.png

Crap.

Sunderland 2-2 Wolves - Wasn't nessessarily the easiest opening day fixture but still disappointing to draw it. We took the lead, and after all the effort into making sure I had some decent strikers it was good to see my Centre Back pop up with the first goal of the season! Wolves equalised and it looked like a draw was the outcome but with 14 minutes to go the substitute Roberts pounced on a mistake and the crowd went wild. The crowd were silenced 3 minutes from time when Wolves equalised against the run of play. Annoying to say the least. Opening day record P5 W0 L1 D4!

Rotherham 0-4 Sunderland - Straight forward League Cup win against a lower league opponent. We rested a few players and the back up did a very professional job. Nothing much really to say about it. We were clinical while responsible at the back.

Birmingham 0-2 Sunderland - Good response in the league to the disappointment of the late equaliser. We were made to sweat in the second half as Birmingham had chances but Aitchison struck late to secure all 3 points. Wasn't the most commanding performance but it was 3 points none the less.

Sunderland 1-1 Swansea - It seems we get stage fright at the Stadium of Light. We weren't fantastic here and neither side really deserved the win. It was 1-1 at half time after they equalised just 3 minutes after we took the lead. Neither side really forced the issue in the second half. They will be happier with the point than we were but its another game unbeaten I suppose.

Blackburn 2-2 Sunderland - We haven't started the season well at all, we were once again in the lead but a goal either side of the half gave Blackburn the control. We huffed and puffed without success until 5 minutes from time. Kadlec gave us what was really an undeserved equaliser. Still unbeaten but 3 draws out of 4 isn't going to get us playoffs, never mind automatic promotion.

Sunderland 3-3 Wigan - The slump continued in the form of a penalty loss to League One Wigan. I rested a few players so the blame can be put squarely on me. That being said we should have had enough quality to beat a team in the league below us. We were 2-0 down early and then 3-1 down at half time. I gave them a battering at half time and it sort of worked. We really pushed for the winner but we couldn't grab it. Extra time was a non starter and it was penalties. We were just as bad as the play off final while Wigan scored all 5. Dumped out of the League Cup. Painful watching.

Sunderland 3-2 Preston - We were brilliant in the first half and raced to a 3-0 lead, I thought we had finally clicked as a team. Then we came out for the second half and were just garbage. Burning hot garbage. 3-0 became 3-1 and 3-1 became 3-2 and I was starting to sweat. Luckily our held on and claimed a valuable 3 points. Still we weren't impressive and this was a worrying start to the month. That being said we were unbeaten in the league. Glass half full or half empty.

Early league table looked like this.

0c7e6b1ec93937fa127b6aa5313e1c0b.png

Uninspiring. 

Too Many Draws!

So too many Draw in August. September needed to be better.

7b46933c4dc825fad5972b7926362935.png
I'm honestly unsure if this is better.

Cardiff 0-5 Sunderland - An amazing performance against high flying Cardiff and I felt this was the turning point in the season. We were brilliant from start to finish here. We gave Cardiff nothing, we were clinical and defended well when called upon. It seems we are playing our best football away from home at the moment, finished crossed that would change soon.

Sunderland 5-2 Aston Villa - And would you look at that! Another 5 star performance and our first real good performance in front of the home faithful. The job was done in the first 15 minutes and Tyler Roberts is just the man we wanted him to be. Fingers crossed he can maintain this scoring form throughout the season. 

Brighton 1-0 Sunderland - Painful this one. Neither side had done enough to warrant a winner and it was coming to an end when Danny Ings broke through and slotted the ball home. A 94th minute winner and were we left gutted. Like I said we hadn't done enough to win and I was more than happy to come away with a point. Ings is too good to be playing at this level and the way he slotted home the winner proved it. We need to regroup.

Sunderland 3-2 Norwich - I was whenever we play Norwich its lit and this was more of the same. We were 2-0 up and cruising thanks to a brace from Jack Aitchison, who looks like he will more than repay the 10m spent on him. Then this happened.

8ff18adbb2b5d38ec4ab87fcac90b09b.png

I would have put my house on us losing the game. Luckily we grabbed a greatly deserved winner to take all 3 points. Excellent way to bounce back following a disappointing loss.

Fulham 1-1 Sunderland - Just when I think we have cracked it its 1 step forward 2 step back. Once again we took the lead but once again we didn't hold it for very long. We have been brilliant at times this season but then we have been awful. This was an awful game and one neither side will look back on with pride. Its been another tricky month although roots of something growing.

The table looked like this after September.

b80056588f14c0ec691a13470de30fbe.png

Luckily for us nobody has really taken the league by the scruff of the neck and we remain very much in the thick of it. Fingers crossed it started to thin out as we get towards Christmas.

18b6037373d46c04c40b1738cd7855aa.png17a53047081360cd3459f87b1da7d2f8.png

A couple of defensive injuries at the end of the month meant we went into November with a little worry.

Archived