(FM18) Family kidnapped by Ninja's. Need $$$ for Karate lessons

andychar

So my FM 17 journey to win at least one major trophy in every single country in the World failed (who would have guessed that).

Every year on this day a little devil and a little angel appear on my shoulder. The little angel says "You have bought new Madden and new FIFA. You don't need another new game, besides this would be a really good Christmas present for somebody to get you. Plus you have chores to do a 1 year old running around and your wife is expecting again, you don't need the distraction." While the devil says "Buy FM!" Guess what?! The devil won.

I'm not going to kid myself this year with a stupidly ambitious project that we all know won't ever be completed. I can't fly through seasons like @Makoto Nakamura

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.38.08 PM.png

I have one objective. It doesn't matter who I manage, what happens or where I go. I need to retire a billionaire. This will be done through basic wage and bonuses.  

I will be starting unemployed, with no badges as a Sunday League Footballer (even that's ambitious for my real life persona). 

I will be loading England (down to National Premier N/S), Portugal (down to National Championship), Scotland (down to League 2), Spain (down to Second Division B), Italy (down to Serie C2), Germany (down to Third Division), Belgium (down to Third Division) and Holland (down to Juplier League). 

Well that's the plan anyway, if my laptop explodes I will have to remove a few leagues.

Officially I still don't own the game, its been reserved for pick up after work which is only 3 hours 0 minute and 30 seconds away...29...28...27

Once I'm up and running I'll provide the usual starting screenshots!

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/11/2017 at 15:41, BoxToBox said:

Always said FM didn't have enough karate.

Cant wait for people to get KMed in Karate Manager 2018. Although I've read people are annoyed you hardly ever get a son join the academy. 

The Introduction!

eb18a881d5f928875576650c20e8ae7a.png

As promised these are the leagues I will be starting with but depending on where I end up Leagues will be removed and added throughout the game. (Can anybody remember a time when you couldn't do that. We were like cavemen!).

The most amazing thing about this save will be this...

d2a88ea433f729c4c15f47eb86e6cf6e.png

2 full stars! Never in my wildest dreams did I expect 2 stars. Sure I had to uninstall Sim City and the Sims and the old FM and pretty much every single thing from my laptop but my God its worth it!

20171110212652_1.thumb.jpg.fd41bde675ba771d97a6aedc88cb9860.jpg

*Record scratch* So this is me. Bet you're wondering how I got here...

1za3me.jpg

I did what any normal person trying to get a job does. I applied for literally everything.

7075764de4a427dfd547131413e907d2.png

Personally I've got my eye on that Everton job. 

2ac24973db9d794484c6c2113fcac3cb.png

So I wasn't even considered for an interview for most jobs. Which came as a complete surprise to everybody. But I was able to get an interview at Coruna B. Never managed a B side before so that could be interesting. I also had an interview the same day with Solihull Moors of the National Conference. Surprised I had an interview that high up but wasn't complaining.

You know the drill with interviews. Two completely different teams in two completely different countries yet they asked exactly the same question. I mean I was slightly offended Solihull Moors asked me if not being able to speak the language will be a problem but oh well.

Interview with Coruna B went well then it was a quick hop onto the plane before I even had the chance to say Adios.

From here it was now just a waiting game...

Everybody Has to Start Somewhere

I only attended those two interviews because within 2 days one of the clubs came back to me with an offer I couldn't refuse.

7f39b1b67112d29bf6f07a124726adf6.png

Solihull Moors of the Conference National obviously liked what they saw.

778c30218dea25fd55c87fe13cfa0274.png

And what's not to like! Legend has it it was the award winning smile that managed to sway the board.

7d487e72892775c5d8e7f6d71b341d7a.png

Personally I expected to start at least in the Vanarama North or South so to be given a chance to start in the National league is brilliant. Although they are expected to get relegated and IRL at the time of this post they are rock bottom. So maybe the North or South is where I'm destined to end up.

Wikipedia defines Solihull Moors as...

Solihull Moors Football Club is an English semi-professional association football club, founded in 2007 by the merger of Moor Greenand Solihull Borough.

They spent all their history in the Conference North before promotion to the Conference Premier in the 2015-16 season. Last season they exceeded expectation and survived finishing 16th. This season is expected to be much tougher.

They play their football at Damson Park which can hold as much as 3050 although its very rare that maybe seats are needed. 

solihullmoors.jpg

Truth be told I have managed in worse places. Those two concrete structures at the half way line are indeed "stands".

£350 p/w. Lets do some maths. 350 x 52 = 18200

1 billion / 18200 = 54945

On my current contract I would have to be manager of Solihull Moors for 54945 years in order to complete my objective of retiring as a billionaire...not including TAX.

Everybody has to start somewhere!

The Squad

Things started off really well, I introduce myself by basic saying "Look I know you have never heard of me before, my family barely know who I am, but I'm your new manager and we are going to stay up this season". All the players looks at each other, shrugged their shoulders and grunted in approval.

03b9c846074c53b2a2996ea0e4a45e66.png7c7464024060148f253abd63f076a0a7.png

35df1fe053ec01c0c5b84de5ad24c297.png1za55c.jpg

Truth be told I'm still getting my head around all the new dynamic features but it sure does look pretty.

5aabf65f8d80452d8d0c266392cc0343.png887080e25956bea5b89b26121683f3fa.png

The squad overall isn't horrible at all. If I can bring the right people in I'm confident of a successful season (anything higher than 20th in the league).

6541ef16ca645b7f9d434aadcf312fce.png4d1baafb00eae362258f0e7fc6bb591b.png

On the left was season preview on the first day I took over. The right is season preview the day before the season started. On both occasions I'm predicted to be relegated, just in a much nicer way. 

Transfers!

So what sort of budget am I working with here in order to entice players to the paradise that is Solihull Moors?

ce43ff714b11cac6045d380226b3790a.png

£0 and 0 pence for the transfer budget but over £1,000pw free in the wage budget. Could have been better but could have been much much worse. 

First thing's first is look for free agents then the loan list.

This is what I managed to come up with.

bf5fbf5591544b1c7a6164868b74fd86.png

Neset Bellikli on loan from AFC Wimbledon with give us something on the left. He will slot straight into the first team.

50db7f6b07cc6bb71dd4b47d770d234b.png

Ronan Coughlan free agent. 20 years old with 12 finishing and 12 acceleration. Perfect for the type of football I plan on bringing to the club. Straight into the team.

9a7033e803319c8a844a2877a8dec111.png

Alex Babos on loan from Derby. Great all around forward who should really shine in this division. Keeping him fit could be the difference. Will more often than not be the first name on the team sheet.

adcc1056c16e0d295dc407e0b0ecff76.png

Prince M'Vumbi on loan from Rotherham. This was a mistake and annoyingly I couldn't terminate the loan until January. Hope he likes sitting in the stands because I don't think he will even make the bench.

27641afbbe89a65367c2cf45542fe71b.png

Lewis Collins on loan from Mansfield. Bought in mainly because of how many different positions he can play in the middle. Will give me options to either go attacking or defensive. Mainly a squad player.

One of the first things I did when I joined was ask to go on a coaching course, fully expecting the chairman to be on my side. If I'm a better manager it means the club will be better...

8981a1bd120d59af6225ca4fc52f21eb.png

Bugger. I also asked for a parent club saying the financial benefits will be brilliant, plus we would get some very good youngsters on loan for nothing...you can guess without the screenshot what he said.

I'm going to enjoy this job.

Expectations couldn't have been made clearer.

9d0703481080693c20501684ef29f33a.png

Finish 20th good, anything lower bad.

I would like a good cup run this year only for the cash but the priority is the league. 

It was time for the preseason friendlies. Starting with a match behind closed doors against my U23's. 

Pre Season!

In past experience its always dangerous to expect anything based on preseason. I've had preseasons where I've won every game to then do shocking once the league starts and then the opposite. 

That being said I really wanted a strong start to send a message that we meant business. 

cf7b4c4beed66cd14f157793fa788c75.png

Weather it was consciously or subconsciously I haven't got on that screen shot the first friendly against the U23's.

We lost. 2-1. After going 1-0 up in the first minute. :ackter:

Against Colchester we actually played rather well and we were well in the game with 79 minutes played. Then they scored and scored and scored. 0-0 became 3-0 in the matter of 5 minutes. I did however leave encouraged.

How GIllingham only beat us 3-0 I'll never know. If I could I would have thrown in the towel after 20 minutes. Personally I think the manager took it easy on us, he seems a kind reasonable chap.

90fb184b2b39b797174056c098224044.png

Oh maybe not then.

Never heard of Thame. Couldn't even tell you what division they played in. We somehow managed to make it to the ground and put in a semi decent performance, although 2-1 is hardly worth screaming from the rooftops.

By the time we played the vegetable I was already looking into time travel and plane journeys to Coruna. We were 2-0 here before conceding 2 goals in the last 10 minutes. Had this been the first friendly I would have put it down to fitness levels. But it wasn't the first, it was the last. The season was starting in 7 days and I was already bricking it.

Hopefully we get a nice easy start to the season...what's that?...we have Leyton Orient?...away?...oh for fu...

36 minutes ago, nie jem frytek said:

Looking good! :thup:

Cheers! Just wait until you see the fabulous start I made...

Baptism of Fire!

So transfers, expectations and friendlies were done. It was time to start the season! Two away fixtures to begin with, just what every team who potentially are going to struggle all season want!

126c935f8ec54da6f321a4265c6ca8e3.png

Leyton Orient 3-3 Solihull Moors - A great start really. We were 2-0 up within 9 minutes and in dreamland. That lasted until just before half time when Orient slotted home an equaliser after having scored part way through the first half. Honesty it was no more than they deserved. They went 3-2 up and it seemed that we were going to come away with nothing for our troubles until Ronan Coughlan stepped up with 3 minutes to go to grab what was a deserved but unlikely equaliser. Great result and great start.

Boreham Wood 5-1 Solihull Moors - Erm...I'm only going to discuss the first 13 minutes of this game. We went 1-0 within the first 2 minutes and I fearing the worse. Amazingly we equalised completely against the run of play. Then I blacked out and apparently we lost 5-1. It wasn't a pretty game. They destroyed us. We did waste a few chances but the scoreline didn't flatter them.

Solihull Moors 1-4 Barrow - I was looking forward to my first home game. I wanted to emphasise the importance of a good home form if we were going to avoid the drop. We were 4-0 down before we managed a consolation. 

A change of tactic was necessary here. We had conceded 12 goals in 3 games which is fine if you can score 13 goals in the same period. We went from a 4-2-2-2 to a flat back 3 with wingbacks, 2 CM's and 3 up front. Basically I wanted a "if you score 4 we will score 5 mentality."

Solihull Moors 2-1 FC Halifax - Once again we went behind and we looked poor in the first half. I didn't want to panic and change tactic already. I gave them a kick up the backside at half time and they responded quite well. We dominated the second half and the equaliser was no more than we deserved. From then on only one team looked like winning, thankfully K. Green calmly slotted home from the edge of the box. 2-1 and our first win of the season.

Torquay 5-6 Solihull Moors - I have never experienced a game like this in my life. We were 3-0 down before grabbing a goal just before half time, unfortunately they also grabbed a goal just before half time. The half time team talk...well think Mike Bassett and you won't be too far off (for those who have never seen it I highly recommend watching it!). We gave ourselves a lifeline just after half time. We were banging on the door and hit the post at 4-2 and I honestly thought that was it. Step forward Afolayan. He put in a shift and amazingly we had gone from 4-1 down to 6-4 up! Torquay made it a nervous last few minutes but we held on for what was a truly remarkable win. 

Solihull Moors 4-4 Tranmere - Neither side deserved to lose this one. We came back 3 times before taking the lead at 4-3. We conceded a needless penalty and were punished. I was more than happy with a point against a strong team. Like I said before I don't mind conceding a boatload of goals as long as we are scoring as well. 

The mental start to the season meant the early table looked like this.

8ec811af4b3b1209da73f86a3a128af0.png

We had by far the worst defensive record in the league but with a 2 point cushion over the drop zone I couldn't give two monkeys. 

Providing Value for Money

We had conceded and scored in every game so far, meaning our games were the first on everybody's Both Teams to Score accumulator. 

2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats was a good start for a team who were predicted to struggle. I was hoping we could build on the 7 points from 9 we collected to finish last month.

f7fc283b1830c212cc3af2ae738c76bc.png

Aldershot 2-1 Solihull Moors - No complaints here, the better team won. We were 2-0 down at half time and clearly second best, we did make the game interesting in the second half but truth be told Aldershot looked more likely to make it 3-1 than we did equalising, still it wasn't the worst performance we had put in.

Solihull Moors 2-1 Chester - This was our game in hand so I was delighted to pick up the 3 points. It was a carbon copy of the last game only this time we were 2-0 up at half time and cruising. They got one back in the second half but we controlled the game and saw it out well. 

Solihull Moors 0-4 Macclesfield - This was the first time we had failed to score all season. It was 0-0 at half time and anybodies. Both teams had chances. God knows what they took at half time because they came out and just destroyed us. 3 of the 4 goals were in the last 10 minutes and maybe 4-0 was slightly harsh on us in the end but it really was men v boys in the second half.

Woking 3-2 Solihull Moors - This was a good game that could have gone either way. We took an early lead but found ourselves 2-1 down at half time in what was a very even game. We equalised early in the second half and set up a great finish. Sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it doesn't, this time it didn't and Woking scored with 5 minutes to go. We had chances to equalise but couldn't take them. As happy as can be following a loss.

Bromley 4-5 Solihull Moors - Another crazy game and I think this season will take about 5 years off my life. It was 3-3 at half time, neither side could defend to save their lives and it was much more of the same in the second half. 4-4 with 15 minutes to go we grabbed the initiative and didn't look back. We were able to shut up shop and actually defend for the final 15 minutes. Another high scoring game we had somehow managed to steal.

Solihull Moors 2-2 Dag and Red - We were second best through this game and after another early goal we were second best. They deserved their equaliser and they deserved what looked like it was going to be the winner. But we kept going, we didn't give up and we stole a point in the end. We haven't got the greatest form but I always believe they have a goal in them.

Dover 1-1 Solihull Moors - This was frustrating. Against rock bottom you need to be picking up all 3 points if you want to survive. We had the chance when we were given a soft penalty with 8 minutes to go. I don't know if the striker had an attack of conscience but he ballooned the penalty over the bar and we waved goodbye to all 3 points. That being said for the 2nd month in a row we would end the month with a 3 game unbeaten run.

A really full month saw the table look like this 

153c9382bdf517e585bf11f01ab05cb2.png

We were 4 points clear of relegation but only 5 points off playoffs. Although I'm still looking down rather than up. At this point we also had the second best offensive record in the league, coupled with the worst but a country mile.

A month of two halves

We were showing mid table form, which to be honest I'll happily take all season if it means we don't have the knife or relegation dangling over our heads.

525c7ddfeb3770c8da8f5f7ff881135b.png

Solihull Moors 2-0 Ebbsfleet - No that isn't a typo. Its taken until the 3rd month of the season but we have finally kept a clean sheet. 2 first half goals were more than enough and we were in control the whole game. Great way to start October.

Solihull Moors 3-2 Dartford - We drew Dartford in the cup who were midtable in the league below us, we fancied our chances of progression. We were 2-0 down at half time. I gave the lads a right royal rollicking. Thankful the boys responded. It could have been different had Babos missed the penalty but thankfully he didn't and he set us on our way to a magnificent come back. We drew FC United of Manchester in the first round which doesn't sound a tasty tie but it's enough to get us on TV. A nice bit of money to see us through the coming months. That game is the first game in November.

Solihull Moors 4-3 Hartlepool - Hartlepool are flying, they are a professional team still and realistically they should have spanked us. We went 1-0 down early on and I feared the worse. We kept it tight and nicked an equaliser, only for them to go straight up the other end. We equalised again just before the half and amazingly went 3-2 up just after the half. We defended brilliantly but one lapse in concentration allowed them in and they made it 3-3. It looked like it was doing to be a well earned point until that man Babos scored an unlikely 94th minute winner. Cue wild celebrations. Suddenly we were looking towards the playoffs.

Guiseley 3-1 Solihull Moors - Crashed back to Earth with a bang. We were in it at 1-1 but a few mistakes coupled with a complete lack of firepower upfront meant we succumbed to our first loss of the month against a side just above us. It proved that although we were doing well in the league we probably didn't have the consistency to really challenge for a top 7 place.

Eastleigh 7-1 Solihull Moors - I'm going to say nothing about that. I'm going to let this screenshot do the talking

48f04b5c17969fc8eafd2d0938874889.png

It didn't feel good. It was the last game I played before having to come off for a bit and honestly I was in a bad mood all day. The Mrs...she just didn't understand. 

Solihull Moors 4-2 AFC Fylde - Perfect response to a hammering, although we made it look tricky. We were 2-0 up and cruising, I left to get a drink, I came back and we were 2-2. Unbelievable. Thankfully we were clinical in the second half and really deserved the three points. I swear the players just want to see me suffer.

Overall minus the 7-1 thumping it wasn't a bad month at all and it left the league looking like this.

53d535cf6dfa717f64f720ada1bedde5.png

With a 9 point cushion and only 5 points off playoffs for the first time this season we could actually afford ourselves to look up rather than down. We just need that little bit of consistency. If we can find that we could challenge for a play off spot.

Now they say a picture speaks a thousand words. I have a little story to tell.

08e46846bedc9bf0161cc5399c625a84.png

Paul Green is a back up midfielder who has appeared in about 3/4 games this season. Unfortunetly thanks to his own tackle he found himself Damanging his cruciate ligaments. Ouch!

Luckily for Paul I put all fears aside and wished him a speedy recovery.

0e2f448f3c9cc13dc0b4eb1706abcc93.png 

Erm...

9769ac99a1ff48b776cc75f0669613f1.png

Injured to unemployed in just under 5 hours. Welcome to the real world Paul!

A quick brief update. I have signed a new contract with Solihull Moors and managed to increase my wage to £450p/w.

Lets do some maths.

450 x 52 = 23400

1 billion / 23400 = 42734 

That means in half a season I have managed to shave 10000 years off this save! 

My goal to retiring a billionaire is in touching distance now!

4 hours ago, KF1990 said:

What tactics and formation you using?

f286bcd62e870d13089d9a88030bd958.pngfd6ad5ca4cd71d23a44a5c182f44fe59.png

So as you can see a lot of time and effort has gone into it...Im using a downloaded tactic called GOODBYEFM18 as a template then I've made a few minor tweaks. 

4 hours ago, Gareth Winter said:

By the looks of the scores I think he's going with a 10 man strikeforce :D

Even my LWB is an AML :lol:

TV Money!

With our goals record both for and against it was a no brainer for the powers that be to stick us on TV. The FA Cup first round match with FC United of Manchester gave us 80k TV money plus any away fan revenue. It was much needed as our financies saw us in the red at the start of November.

We started the month gaining a new striker on loan.

a44c400132f619e4b10306090e4ab3b7.png

We weren't allowed to loan him long term so guess who is on a month to month loan. On paper he isn't fantastic but his speed is what we need with my hoof ball mentality.

77c4d3d31996ae602c347b92e67bf13e.png

FC United 1-3 Solihull Moors - The camera's didn't phase us and I would say this was our best game of the season. We were 3-0 up and cruising and even after the home goal went in we were looking the more dangerous. If anything I'm slightly annoyed we couldn't keep a clean sheet but we were into the next round. We drew Portsmouth at home. Don't fancy our chances but should have a full house.

Solihull Moors 2-0 Sutton - A clean sheet! Only 1 goal conceded in the month of November. Pinch me! A goal in each half was enough, we looked good once again and for the first time this season I actually believed we could make a push for the playoffs. 

Maidstone 3-1 Solihull Moors - Then this happened. We were completely outclassed from start to finish. It was like watching a completely different team than the one who had such a good unbeaten run. We kept our scoring record alive by the skin of our teeth but we were lucky to even do that. Back down to Earth...once again.

Wrexham 3-1 Solihull Moors - Same score, same game. We were outclassed by a better team and really our away form is leaving little to the imagination. My tactic only works if we take our chances and this game we created plenty but couldn't take them. Really poor and really disappointing.

Solihull Moors 3-3 Gateshead - Just another casual 6 goal thriller. We went 1-0 up 2-1 up and then equalised late on to finish 3-3. Neither side deserved to lose but the way both sides defended neither deserved to win! 

2 wins, 2 losses and a draw this month. Typical midtable form. If you had offered it me at the start of the season. I probably would have bit your hand off.

The table now looks like this.

d27ebcd320a0350bc9aa4f047e5a56fe.jpg

63 goals conceded in 22 games. I don't know if I'm proud or not! Playoffs aren't even mentioned in passing anymore. Midtable and happy.

Next up Pompey in the cup.

55 minutes ago, MarcxD said:

Scoring (and conceding) more than anyone else on the screenshot, love it!

I swear every game is taking at least an hour off my life. At least!

Up for the Cup!

We went into the FA Cup Second Round match against Pompey with nothing to lose. They are a big club and 2 divisions above us. I just wanted to avoid a humiliation.

155d64b2cee9b832994b5d553f27c26b.png

Gutted!

We were literally 30 seconds away from taking them to a replay and what would have been a lovely money spinner. A silly challenge and a well taken penalty robbed us of that. 

We were on the back foot for the entire game, well for 83 minutes anyway. We started strong and was in dreamland after 7 minutes. From then on it had an air of when not if. Still a 95th minute penalty is heart wrenching. 

Proud of my boys!

On 13/11/2017 at 08:55, andychar said:

They play their football at Damson Park which can hold as much as 3050 although its very rare that maybe seats are needed. 

solihullmoors.jpg

Truth be told I have managed in worse places. Those two concrete structures at the half way line are indeed "stands".

Those concrete structures might not look like the most comfortable place ever to watch football... but at least they're watching goals! Your highlights must be quite entertaining to watch!

Solid job so far.

2 hours ago, noikeee said:

Those concrete structures might not look like the most comfortable place ever to watch football... but at least they're watching goals! Your highlights must be quite entertaining to watch!

Solid job so far.

Cheers Noikeee. I'm certainly providing value for money!

Winter is Coming!

The Pompey game started the month, I could only hope the defeat didn't have a negative effect on the league.

22714df620c8162d0986a5623fb8c76c.png

Oh dear god no!

Solihull Moors 1-2 Leyton Orient - I suppose in the grand scheme of things I can't really complain with results like this. They were the better side. We were 2-0 down before Zanzala gave us hope, unfortunately we weren't able to find the equaliser. Too early for panic stations?

Chester 2-2 Solihull Moors - Another game without a win but this was a very good point. We were 2-0 down at half time and truth be told I went ballistic. It looked like it was going to another case of so near yet so far until that man Zanzala popped up with a brilliant goal and earn us a much deserved point.

Solihull Moors 3-4 Guiseley - This game was 3-3 after 19 minutes. I thought it was going to be a cricket score but it seemed players decided to take a breather for the rest of the game. It was a very even game and neither side really deserved to go out...we didn't deserve to go out! They scored in the 116th minute when it looked destined for penalties. It was a sucker punch but truth be told the FA Trophy could be an unnecessary distraction. 

Solihull Moors 1-3 Boreham Wood - Its officially panic stations now. Another poor performance. We scored a consolation in the 93rd minute and were pretty much dominated from start to finish. I once dared to dream of the playoffs but now I was looking over my shoulder. 

Maidenhead 1-2 Solihull Moors - A much needed 3 points against a struggling side. We started off well and looked like make it 2. Then the most FM thing happened, a shot out of nowhere hit the crossbar bounced back, hit the diving frame of my keeper and went in off his arse. I had to laugh otherwise I would have cried. Zanzala is my new God. On loan from Derby I will be doing everything in my power to make sure we get him on loan against because damned if we can afford to buy him!

Barrow 4-3 Solihull Moors - Once upon a time we were on the winning end of these crazy games now we aren't and that's the major difference. Barrow are flying so I can't be angry at all with the result. It stops dead in its tracks any hope for finding some form before the new year. 

Our worst month yet left the table looking like this.

8c3d1f295cd073ad93749b9635975952.png

8 points clear of the drop. 11 points off playoffs. 77 goals conceded 63 goals scored. That's an average of 5 goals scored in each game I've been involved in.

New Year New Team!

A change of tactic to start the new year. No longer using wing backs and trying to dominate the midfield I went to a narrow 4-3-3. Fingers crossed this would put an end to crazy results like 5-3.

78b3bdeebd97fe192ab90858a24e0b65.png

Solihull Moors 5-2 Maidenhead - Fantastic way to start the new year. 2 wins from 3 games is great until you realise both wins were against Maidenhead who were 2nd bottom. That being said 3 points are 3 points and I'm more than happy. New tactic has done nothing to stop crazy results. Although it could have just been a one off.

Macclesfield 5-3 Solihull Moors - Or not. We were 3-1 down at half time and feeling sorry for ourselves. We fought well and managed to bring it back to 3-3 and there was only one team who looked like winning. Then out of the blue we conceded. I was annoyed as I felt we had edged it, we conceded again late while chasing the game. No consistency could end up costing us a playoff challenge but we are picking up enough points that relegation has never been an issue this season.

Solihull Moors 2-1 Woking - Brilliant result against a team who were top of the table. We are putting up some brilliant performances and for the first time in a long time we have only conceded 1 goal (this is my new clean sheet). Zanzala once again and Coughlan continue their fine seasons. It means we have won a game lost a game won a game lost a game won a game. I'm not looking forward to the next game!

Dag and Red 3-4 Solihull Moors - Another crazy game (goals are getting so boring!) only this time we came out with the win! We were 3-1 down at half time once against this month only this time when we brought it back to 3-3 I was confident of at least getting a point. It looked like that's where it was heading until the almighty Zanzala popped up with a huge winner. 3 points. 9 points from 12 and maybe just maybe playoff hopes.

The table!

c4711dc7c13835efd2fd4046760f07b9.png

11 points clear of relegation. At this point in the season I'm not even going to worry about it anymore. We are 8 points off playoffs and currently enjoying a rich vein of form. Long may it last!

All hail Zanzala!

210931281be4cce2b6a286a57f707cd3.png

Let this be a lesson to you. Nobody breaks their leg on my watch!

Injured to unemployed in 7 minutes...a new record!

Really enjoying this series mate, I managed Solihull as my first journeyman job myself & did a lot worse then you if it makes you feel any better. Lost 8 games on the trot, 1 goal for and 20 against, sitting in 22nd when I got the sack in December. :ackter: the goals conceded aren't your tactics mate it's the defense, they're absolutely rubbish and both the young GK's just aren't up to par!

Now at Wealdstone for season 2 after taking the rest of season 1 off and top of the league after 12 games so always a silver lining I guess!

11 minutes ago, Matto97 said:

Really enjoying this series mate, I managed Solihull as my first journeyman job myself & did a lot worse then you if it makes you feel any better. Lost 8 games on the trot, 1 goal for and 20 against, sitting in 22nd when I got the sack in December. :ackter: the goals conceded aren't your tactics mate it's the defense, they're absolutely rubbish and both the young GK's just aren't up to par!

Now at Wealdstone for season 2 after taking the rest of season 1 off and top of the league after 12 games so always a silver lining I guess!

That sounds rough mate. I had a bad start and immediately thought the worse. I think I'm going to have a complete cull at the end of the season. Start a fresh and see where that takes me! Of course I still hold very stupid hopes of snatching a playoff place...

Its the Hope that Kills You

I wanted to build on what was a good January...

4f002baffa7c11e1b8f3269688f24b59.png

I've had worse months!

Solihull Moors 4-0 Bromley - If I had any realistic hopes of getting a playoff spot games like this were must wins. Afolayan bagged two penalties (more on that later) and we cruised really. Bromley did threaten in the second half but we were always in control.

Ebbsfleet 1-2 Solihull Moors - What a result what a performance and what a comeback. The first half went by in a flash...it was terrible. 1 shot between us both and it wasn't for us. We went behind early in the second half and things were looking bleak. 2 goals in 5 minutes completely turned the game around and gave us a platform and continues out amazing run of form.

Solihull Moors 3-1 Dover - If the last game was unexpected this one was. Dover have struggled all season and anything other than a win here would have been disappointing. We put in a very professional performance and made it 5 wins in a row. There was one stage where I didn't think we were going to get 5 wins all season!

Solihull Moors 1-1 Wrexham - Weird one this. At the start of the season this would have been a brilliant point but at the final whistle I felt deflated. It looked like we had snatched another winner when Zanzala (who else) fired in from close range. Unfortunetly Wrexham came back and grabbed a well deserved equaliser. No complaints with the final score but still felt like we had missed an opportunity.

Gateshead 2-0 Solihull Moors - 2 missed penalties. 2 missed penalties! Afolayan started the month by scoring 2 then finished with by missing 2! Fuming. No longer the penalty taker. Dissapointing way to finish off what was a really good month. Every time it looks like we are going to hit our stride and really push for playoffs we blow it.

Leaves the table looking like this.

a3de25969c0fdf1932dfad461e1b1bf1.png

Look at that confidence not even showing the bottom 4 anymore. 4 points off the playoffs. I believe! 

Also look at that GD :lol: 

13 minutes ago, MikeyJ said:

One of the most entertaining threads I have ever read, anywhere!

This is quality - althought every game seems to be an eight-goal thriller, where I try to scrape 1-0 wins :D

Cheers mate really appreciate it.

Every single game this season has had at least 2 goals in it not a single 1-0 or 0-0 in sight!

It lead to the most obviously news story of the season...

8eb46612303e72a876c2ff72b2704b69.png

1 minute ago, andychar said:

Cheers mate really appreciate it.

Every single game this season has had at least 2 goals in it not a single 1-0 or 0-0 in sight!

It lead to the most obviously news story of the season...

8eb46612303e72a876c2ff72b2704b69.png

Seems like the most entertaining save ever :D

I am halfway through the season and have currently scored 92 goals in my main save at the moment.

Taking BATE to the highest reputation in Europe is actually very fun.

10 minutes ago, MikeyJ said:

Seems like the most entertaining save ever :D

I am halfway through the season and have currently scored 92 goals in my main save at the moment.

Taking BATE to the highest reputation in Europe is actually very fun.

Should get it on here mate! Sounds like a great save so far! 

People always like seeing a different team trying to break Europe.

Just now, andychar said:

Should get it on here mate! Sounds like a great save so far! 

People always like seeing a different team trying to break Europe.

It is my holiday save, obviously I have Swindon as my other save! 

In all honesty, you have to holiday really, otherwise by the time you have won the Champions League with BATE, FM2022 would have been released. I can show you some screenshots if you would like :)

12 minutes ago, MikeyJ said:

It is my holiday save, obviously I have Swindon as my other save! 

In all honesty, you have to holiday really, otherwise by the time you have won the Champions League with BATE, FM2022 would have been released. I can show you some screenshots if you would like :)

Always good to see somebody else's efforts :) 

Okay, so here we go!

best europe season 2.jpg

Some of my favourite resutts were an absolute 10-0 domination for Bratislava, a much better team supposedly, I jumped out my chair when I saw that! Also a 6-0 dismantling of PSV was very nice, especially considering we were underdogs.

5a0c631ca47f4_6-0psv.thumb.jpg.49fc935d849f98448ba79c9c8421b013.jpg5a0c631b35597_10-0vbratislava.thumb.jpg.c05e2bb3fa017fa9369550883269ba00.jpg

I have just broke a new record in the league, with 36 consecutive wins - and I have now had 900 games in charge of BATE. 

5a0c63a5999ed_900gamesforbate.thumb.jpg.389ac380950f7bc17c3d5551f8954f70.jpg36 consec wins.jpg

Lastly, I will show you the records of the league, and the best season I have had in Europe so far, anything else you want to see? I will show you!

records.thumb.jpg.f205c4cdc51ce46a3b2b6647b418bc1b.jpgrecors2.thumb.jpg.190c773ffc085292160305919d8809ae.jpg

Madness!

Now that's a lot of holidaying! Great stuff though @MikeyJ.

March Madness!

I'm personally a little disappointed I've used that title in my first March. I could have held onto it for a few years at least.

a0b7354e36bdf9800e5822bb4b73506e.png

Solihull Moors 4-1 Maidstone - A brilliant game and once again a brilliant performance from the one, the only, Zanzala...all hail Zanzala. I've been that impressed with the man God that I've successfully extended his contract to the end of next season! At 2-1 I was getting nervous, we were 2-0 up and I've seen leads disappear far too many times this save. Luckily we were able to pull away and pick up a huge victory.

Sutton 4-2 Solihull Moors - All that forward momentum and feel good vibes from the 4-1. Gone. Crushed. As I said before its the hope that kills you. We were God awful here, 3-0 down before we threatened a comeback only for it to be squashed very quickly. Had we come back it would have been the biggest injustice since the Monstars were beaten by the Toon Squad. Everybody knows they didn't deserve that win!

Solihull Moors 4-2 Torquay - Back on the right track. For those of you keeping score this result means we did the double over Torquay with the aggregate score of 10-7. Solihull Moors...come for the goals stay for the meat and potato pie. We dominated from started to finish. No clean sheet but its that hardly a surprise.

FC Halifax 0-1 Solihull Moors - The first time only one goal has been scored in any of our games this season and I'm so glad we got it. An early goal and I thought we were on for another 5-4 thriller but then something amazing happened. We actually defended brilliantly! They knocked on the door but we wouldn't let them through. It was more nerve racking that the 4-3 games!

Solihull Moors 2-1 Aldershot - What a huge win! Aldershot were just inside the playoffs and we needed the win to put some serious pressure on. Two goals in two minutes left them reeling. They mounted a challenge in the second half and some could argue we were holding on towards the end. We held on and that is the biggest win of the season.

It meant I got one of these for the first time ever.

aa7bec1a57ababda160bea0aedb0e433.png

Go me!

It also meant the table looked like this.

33dec5ecbfe32c7d019cdfeb88f5e95c.png

Holy crap! We actually can do this! 

The next goal we concede will be the 100th and a little balloon will fall from each "stand".

My fixtures?

Tranmere (a) Hartlepool (a) Guiseley (h) Eastleigh (h)

If I was going to do this I was going to do it the hard way.

All or Nothing!

I was going to do a week by week blow. Give you a screenshot of the fixtures, results and the table after each week...really ramp up the excitement.

0970a03d5cde4561922d07a7bc72c0bb.png

Then I decided not to bother.

Talk about an anti climax!

Tranmere 3-1 Solihull Moors - Truth be told I should never have expected to get anything from this game. Tranmere are a big club and a professional side. We took the lead however and were 1-0 up at half time! The second half was probably the worst 45 minutes of the season (and we got beat 7-1 at one point). Tranmere showed the difference in quality and ran away deserved winners. 

Hartlepool 4-3 Solihull Moors - The aggregate score for this one over the season was 7-7. The difference here, we conceded 2 penalties. One right at the start of the game to give us the worst start and one in stoppage time to hand us a loss. We were 3-2 in this game and for 10 brief moments we were actually in the playoffs! It was an even game and the last second penalty was harsh. Officially at this point we weren't out of the race, we just needed to win one game 20-0 to stand a chance.

Solihull Moors 2-3 Guiseley -  It was officially over. We had a chance to level it at 3-3 but we missed what was our second penalty of the day. We were the better side here but for whatever reason we couldn't defend (I know shocking right!). 3 losses on the bounce and it seemed our season was just getting away from us.

AFC Fylde 2-0 Solihull Moors - This game reeked of a game that had absolutely nothing riding on it. Fylde had been relegated the previous week so true to form they smashed up and thoroughly deserved the win. It seems my players had not been told the season finishes in April and were under the assumption March was it and they could go on their holidays.

Solihull Moors 1-1 Eastleigh - I wanted to finish the season on a high and with a 1-1 draw I think I did. On paper it may have not been a great result but this is the team that smashed us 7-1! It looked like it was going to be an unlikely 0-0 with neither team really looking bothered. We had nothing to play for and Eastleigh had bagged a playoff place weeks ago. If we had scored 3 goals in this game we would have broken the National League Record for number of goals scored but even that wasn't meant to be. A last minute equaliser cost us the perfect end but to be honest it had been a brilliant season and one of the most enjoyable mid table finishes I think I've ever had!

Final table looked like this.

310f828e82c519b631c8467cc4862a20.png

Eastleigh would go onto beat Tranmere in the playoff final and gain promotion. Woking were predicted to finish 23rd so really peed on my strawberries.

Maindenhead, AFC Fylde, Bromley and Dover were relegated (losers).

12th was a brilliant finish. 102 goals scored 112 goals conceded at an average of 4.5 goals a game. Good season and something to build on.

c5799cd4ea5aebf4835976aa48f8d621.png

2faa04adbe92418f55a71d894b91b638.png

Carline was a somewhat surprising player of the season but he always did a good job in the centre of midfield and finished with an average rating of 7.37 and 39 appearances. So no complaints really. 

Off Season

I got a big surprise in the off season.

0fc1067d7f2fa0e21775e057e04c335c.png

Turns out that filling up 38% of your stadium week in week out justifies 1000 new seats. 

337ffdc5ca953aad4b131a92aa594fb7.png

That's good. It means only half the squad has to sell a kidney to pay for the 1000 extra seats.

0a974474e2359cbf66808feee0839115.png

For the first time this save I have a transfer budget! Now quick...to the loan list!

9 minutes ago, MikeyJ said:

I am almost offended that the "match of the season" was a fkn 2-1 win against Halifax!

Great stuff though, really enjoyable!

Bring on the next season.

:lol: You know what I never even noticed that! The 6-5 against Torquay was very boring to watch though. I could barely keep my eyes open!

Just now, andychar said:

:lol: You know what I never even noticed that! The 6-5 against Torquay was very boring to watch though. I could barely keep my eyes open!

Mate if Solihull were banging out these results in real life I think they'd actually fill their "stadium!" :D

Good thread so far!

Managed Solihull myself after starting unemployed. Bad start with 1 draw and 8 losses. Changed to a 4-4-2 and won 3 drawn 1 and was creeping out the relegation zone. All of a sudden fm 18 crashed and my good form wasn't saved :( haven't had the heart to reload it as i know it would not get better than it was.

Do like the team though got a couple of players that used to be decent like Sean St Ledger and Darren Carter. Plus my mate runs their community coaching and disability football teams and he gives me a bit of insight into the team. 

43 minutes ago, KF1990 said:

Good thread so far!

Managed Solihull myself after starting unemployed. Bad start with 1 draw and 8 losses. Changed to a 4-4-2 and won 3 drawn 1 and was creeping out the relegation zone. All of a sudden fm 18 crashed and my good form wasn't saved :( haven't had the heart to reload it as i know it would not get better than it was.

Do like the team though got a couple of players that used to be decent like Sean St Ledger and Darren Carter. Plus my mate runs their community coaching and disability football teams and he gives me a bit of insight into the team. 

Cheers KF1990, appreciate any and all feedback. 

Sean St Ledger was a surprise. He went in January, was not interested in the slightest in renewing his contract, ended up at Tranmere on over 1k a week! No way I could compete with that. 

Darren Carter was such a let down, every time I gave him a shot he made some costly mistake. I've just let him go before the start of the 2nd season!

Its so frustrating when the game crashes in the middle of a good time. You could always keep reloading until you get the results you earned the first time.

49 minutes ago, andychar said:

Cheers KF1990, appreciate any and all feedback. 

Sean St Ledger was a surprise. He went in January, was not interested in the slightest in renewing his contract, ended up at Tranmere on over 1k a week! No way I could compete with that. 

Darren Carter was such a let down, every time I gave him a shot he made some costly mistake. I've just let him go before the start of the 2nd season!

Its so frustrating when the game crashes in the middle of a good time. You could always keep reloading until you get the results you earned the first time.

Wage demands this year are outrageous in non-League, some players were demanding up to 3kpw to join me. Bizarre.

20 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Wage demands this year are outrageous in non-League, some players were demanding up to 3kpw to join me. Bizarre.

Wage demands are crazy. I'm 1k over budget...I need help!

SolihullMoorsFCBadge

Pre Season Transfers 2018-19

So after a decent first season it was important we kicked on and didn't go backwards.

We renewed three players on loan for another season. Zanzala (obviously), Plavotic and despite conceding 112 goals our keeper Trueman (more on that later).

Between loans and free transfers we made quite a splash in the transfer market.

da367814536f17798b47cdbfe6110c79.png

Ok there is no shame in admitting I got this player for his name. A CB with potential to do a semi decent job. TJ Culpepper...great name.

d05bef0cca6fa8b6304a6b1b0f4d2d1a.png

On loan from Huddersfield, he will be our back up between the sticks...or he was going to be...he got injured in preseason...probably will never make an appearance for us. Let that be a lesson kids...always put a "loan can be terminated" clause in.

132d9a5212fed043ccd3e2b95c0b9b28.png

It will not come as a shock to anybody who has read this thread that my focus is improving the defence. Was glad to snap this youngster up on a free transfer at only 180p/w as well.

0896309aa02d1f3a790e8d5921e89bfc.png

Let this guy be a lesson to anybody who doesn't read the fine print on a contract. Had to spend 6k of my 9k budget for compensation. He will be a squad player and nothing more. Bloody compensation!

12a80116da4397c22bade81bd282cb99.png

On loan from Birmingham and will probably play a big part in the season. Good passing which is vital for the style of football we play...you know the hit and hope style.

453cb5998962a2be722f98dd7f242dc4.png

On loan from Bolton and another who will probably slot straight into the first team. Midfield doesn't play a massive part in our style but its important to have reliable players in that position.

f804200e73a95f04d2804becd1eb01a4.png

I may resort to going back to wingbacks. That's why this guy was brought in. Not a great player but could do a good job.

758a1789dd58624736ec30127dfafcaf.png

Another good defender I hope can do the job for us. Lets face is conceding double digits would be classed as a great season, even 99 is an improvement.

2957f14d2b634fc1f54a045aa1c9183b.png

Alex Babos didn't want to renew his loan (God knows I tried) and I want to stick with 3 up front so this guy was brought in as a reliable figure to come off the bench and make an impact. For free he is a great addition.

964e48032c73bdf745bdf07d49b5e324.png

Scouted from the Tralist day he will be our first choice LB. Decent pace and good crossing, could be a potential assist machine.

I was happy with our transfer activity and was ready to go for the start of the season!

Expectations were pretty much the same as last season.

d08cc994c4939a8874436bff6a35b361.png

Means less pressure. I'm confident we can repeat the season we had last year and hopefully challenge for a play off place again.

We were predicted to finish 18th which is 2 places better than last year, using that logic I'm aiming for a top 10 finish.

World Cup 2018

Apparently there is a World outside of the Vanarama National League. Who knew!

b57072c68963b72e701b1ae6438f7d57.png605175c91f12bc99b4293ea22fa9a8f8.png014fae5ca305b09810e138ed26185fea.png

1a4869fb7619ab0a5d4bb7c192dbe6aa.png

Some interesting results there, Poland and Algeria doing brilliantly to reach quarters while Mexico finished 4th.

Luckily France have already won the World Cup so haven't become eligible in the save...hang on...wait...sorry that's a different thread.

Fast Start, Better Defending

Unfortunately the title is what I wanted, not what I got.

65941da5128dc8d37a4a70fd60f1699d.png

Ebbsfleet 3-3 Solihull Moors - 15 minutes, 3-0 up after 15 minutes. This is the only save I've ever had were I'm 3-0 up after 15 minutes and my first thought is "I'm going to lose this game". I didn't lose it but 3 second half goals from the home team was enough for a share of the spoils. Its the exact same result as the opening game last season. Start as you mean to go on eh.

Solihull Moors 0-1 Aldershot - Ok this may seem like a bad result but I'm in November at the moment and I'm going to spoil things a little and tell you that Aldershot are destroying everybody! So maybe 1-0 loss against them isn't a bad result. At the time I wasn't happy, I've mellowed since.

Barrow 2-0 Solihull Moors - Its worth pointing out that last season I got 1 point from my opening 3 games and I was fine, problem is I'm worried by the sheer lack of goals. Last season when we lost it was with fight and passion, we have started the season with a whimper. Apart from that first 15 minutes at Ebbsfleet. Maybe we are in for a season which has been predicted for us.

Solihull Moors 3-4 Gloucester - This one hurt. We were 3-1 down but came back brilliantly to level the game and I honestly thought we were going to go on to win. Then we got a man sent off and 3 minutes later gave away a penalty. We were the object of our own downfall and the lads felt my wrath at half time. Bad bad start.

Left the early season table looking like this.

878cea806d16c745219b5561eb24b085.png

It was decision time. Do I stick with the tactic that got us 12th last season or do I freshen things up? End of the day you have to keep the opposition guessing.

Quick update regarding my contract.

I've just signed a new deal for £550p/w. Maths time

550 x 52 = 28600

1 billion / 28600 = 34965

That means on my current contract I will be able to retire a billionaire in 34965 seasons! Woooooo!

SolihullMoorsFCBadge

Potential Relegation Scrap

There was no hiding it or denying it, if we continued this form it would be a very long season. We needed points and fast!

3009f04dde3fac42d43a85479f7ac324.png

Solihull Moors 1-0 Guiseley - Ronan Coughlan you beauty. This was a poor game and I honestly thought I was looking at my first ever 0-0. Then a daft penalty gave us all 3 points. It was nice that a stupid decision went my way for once. 

Leyton Orient 4-1 Solihull Moors - It would be harsh to expect anything from this game, but didn't expect the thumping. That being said we were second best from start to finish and deserved a hammering. Coughlan continued his mini good form but it was far too little far too late. This could be a painful season.

Solihull Moors 3-1 Tranmere - Finally a game I can actually be proud of! A great start and a goal just after the half put us in a good position and although Tranmere threatened to make a game of it we squashed any doubt quickly It reminded me of last season although much better defending. Shoots of life potentially.

Wrexham 4-3 Solihull Moors - It wouldn't be a Solihull Moors month without at least 1 4-3 and once against we were on the receiving end of it. Last year we were winning game like this, this year not so much. No consistency and we are bobbing in and out of the relegation zone. Must improve.

Maidstone 2-1 Solihull Moors - Must improve! We let this one slip through our fingers. We dominated the first half and were looking good. God knows what the manager gave them at half time because it was like a different team. 2 goals in 5 minutes completely turned the game on its head and I was starting to seriously worry.

Solihull Moors 7-1 Sutton - I went into this home game with Sutton honestly thinking a loss could see me consider my position. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. It seems that all the pent up frustration from the season came out all over Sutton! It was already 7-0 before they responded and this was with 20 minutes still left, I was expecting double figures but suppose I should be happy with 7.

Solihull Moors 6-1 Morecambe - What a way to get the season back on track and to finish the month. Morecambe much like Sutton were shell shocked at the intensity we came out to play with. 13 goals in 2 games and suddenly we were looking the same dangerous team that scored 102 goals last season. Even better we had positive goal difference for the first time ever!

It left the table looking like this (well technically this is including the first game of next month because I forgot to take a screenshot)

e41e231f205eb0571a0f13b7ceb7984d.png

3 points clear of the drop and the GF & GA column looking more like what we have come to expect. 3 wins from 4. We need to build on this.

We drew the police in the 4th qualifying round in the cup.

85bbb1884ac7a78cfad85d723cb96a21.png

Fingers crossed it means a bribe isn't out of the question.

I've been told to shoot on sight because the keeper can't catch anything.

(sorry to anybody reading this who happens to be a cop)

Archived