Sports Interactive Community
Saevel

Regen hair

I can't find any folders for replacing regen hairstyles.

Was the possibility to mod this removed?

45 minutes ago, Saevel said:

I can't find any folders for replacing regen hairstyles.

Was the possibility to mod this removed?

Yes, they are now 3D files and not .png overlays, as far as i know.

Edited by DimitriFromParis

Yup, but what software should be used to edit/create? I currently found .egm and .tri files, the first one probably are graphic files.

41 minutes ago, Tofu2g4 said:

Yup, but what software should be used to edit/create? I currently found .egm and .tri files, the first one probably are graphic files.

You can't, unless you have skills in 3D modelling/game development.

1 hour ago, Tofu2g4 said:

Looks like they could just be generic 3D modelling files - a quick look around suggests they are the same format used by Fallout/Skyrim and those files are fairly moddable so it might be worth having a look to see what programs the modders for those games use.

7 minutes ago, ThinkCreateSee said:

That's actually quite annoying - something I'd only understand if they were too introduce a much larger selection of style

3D modelling should allow more variety as well as a better fit as you can mold the hair to the head instead of having to limit the heads so they fit the static hair of the past.

16 hours ago, DimitriFromParis said:

Maybe, but we all know SI will never give us more options in hairstyles than we, the community, could do. It worked fine before, so again, why "break" it. Now people are stuck with like 6-7 hairstyles for thousands of players by the year of 2025. 

Half-baked solution. Rushing to implement new things, which are like 5% done. I could understand if we had like hundreds of styles, but this....just no.

Not very familiar with the whole editing process, are you saying that this year it will be impossible for anyone to create a hair pack for regens? Faces i think are at least better than 17 ( aka the alien clones experiment) but hair styles are very poor and very limited not to mention I've yet to see any trace of beards or goatees. Would be terrible news for any long term save.

Edited by kandersson

1 minute ago, kandersson said:

Not very familiar with the whole editing process, are you saying that this year it will be impossible for anyone to create a hair pack for regens? Faces i think are at least better than 17 ( aka the alien clones experiment) but hair styles are very poor and very limited not to mention I've yet to see any trace of beards or goatees. Would be terrible news for any long term save.

That's exactly what i'm saying. No hairpacks this year (or probably in the future). An era is over.

10 minutes ago, DimitriFromParis said:

That's exactly what i'm saying. No hairpacks this year (or probably in the future). An era is over.

See these are the small things that really annoy me. I don't know much about this stuff, I imagine it would be something relatively simple (for such a popular and successful series) to get right especially as there has been some pretty clear feedback in past years. I mean, at the very least I always think: they could just pay those guys, Debski or OLT, I mean they've done this for free for almost 10 years and their packs were always popular and well received from virtually every user. I guess they'd demand relatively low sums of  money...

The idea of being stuck with these lego hair is haunting.

Edited by kandersson

The graphical concept for newgens has changed. They are now generated with the same engine that generates the manager picture. This means that you can't use 2-D mods like the hair pack anymore. 

2 hours ago, kandersson said:

See these are the small things that really annoy me. I don't know much about this stuff, I imagine it would be something relatively simple (for such a popular and successful series) to get right especially as there has been some pretty clear feedback in past years. I mean, at the very least I always think: they could just pay those guys, Debski or OLT, I mean they've done this for free for almost 10 years and their packs were always popular and well received from virtually every user. I guess they'd demand relatively low sums of  money...

The idea of being stuck with these lego hair is haunting.

Maybe they are too proud for that. I know Debski have been offering his help via email, apparently with not so much as getting an answer. And OLT was lost/gave up years ago already. 

I don't mind the feature but stage its at is poor.  Its like an experimental bands first album, you can see where they wanna be, and by album 4 it'll be epic, but right now, its executed badly, for me anyway.   Other generated face levels across other games and platforms is just miles ahead. 

On 11/10/2017 at 18:40, michaeltmurrayuk said:

same format used by Fallout/Skyrim

What files are you looking at ? 

On 11/13/2017 at 15:26, Blue Lou said:

What files are you looking at ? 

A quick search for egm files brought up these threads from Nexus Mods regarding modding Fallout/Skyrim so I assume they are just standard files instead of custom SI ones:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/92378-what-is-egm-file/
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/185691-creating-tri-and-egm-files/
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2131149-custom-tri-not-working/

So if I wanted to have a crack at modelling 3d hairstyles/faces for this, where would you start? I presume a 3d mod could be applied and run, just as the old 2d ones can.

19 hours ago, Tofu2g4 said:

Send FaceGen an email letting them know what you're up to.  Ask for a demo/non production use case of their software.  They appear small enough to be willing to negotiate a little.  Surely it's in their best interest to have more developers out there that understand and can use their software.  

*** Adding this.  I went to the FaceGen website and they do have a form for questions.  It might be worth mentioning there.  

Website --> https://facegen.com/index.htm

Forum --> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/facegen

Edited by Enos

Those faces look great.  Mine don't look that good in FM18 though.

Have you been able to create unique hair outside of the original pic above?  Any apparent structure that could lead to the creation of a "hair pack" for use in FM?

Edited by Enos

The reason why the newgens in the game do not look that good could be a resolution and filesize problem. If you have x-thousands of generated faces in the game the file size could become a real issue for general game speed.

On 1.12.2017 at 00:02, pdstanbridge said:

phil1.thumb.jpg.4dae2ea9a5f159d41941a3bfc239f632.jpg

With some dabbling I managed to convert myself into a 3d model :D

Yeah, i Played with Facegen some time ago in creating real-like modells of players. But the issue wa I just made them 2d PNG so i could erase the watermark by hand. In demo you can't (at least you couldn't) export 3d model without the watermark. Has something changed?

Nope, I edited the watermark out for my personal use. I've tried a couple of things to see if I can get hair to appear in the game but it hasn't worked. So i'm not sure where we can go from here.

Am I right in saying that the free demo still only comes with a very limited variety of hair styles?

10 hours ago, gavo01 said:

Am I right in saying that the free demo still only comes with a very limited variety of hair styles?

Yep, but you can download hair packs which are user submitted.

7 hours ago, pdstanbridge said:

so currently youre able to make faces but cant you can't import the faces or the hairstyles into fm?

Correct. To be fair, making the faces isn't difficult as they are randomly generated. I simply tidy them up and add a few 'features' to make them look more realistic. The problem is, apart from the hair, is generating them within the game. Obviously FM uses a version of facegen (which they call Sifacegen). This can be instructed to generate the faces and the features I mentioned earlier. They can be made to look fantastic, given time and effort. But I can't see how it works within the game. It might be that this is locked in and only accessible via staff. But as Kubi said, it might also be that thousands of regens might have consequences elsewhere. I don't understand why Si can't improve them, or at least tell us why.

It's quite complicated. I've downloaded Blender (free via Steam) and I have managed to grab an import/export script that works with the Tri files. I can now import the hair styles that have been produced by Si. In theory, these can now be edited and improved, and re-exported. In theory... Potentially.. There are quite a few issues of course and this really is the limit of my understanding as far as 3d textures and models go. If the hairstyles can be improved that would go someway to help.

I applaud your efforts to find a way to improve the facegen offerings.   I really hope that this can be solved.  Would this have a knock on effect within the 3D match viewer?  I'm so tired of seeing my best players sporting ridiculous mohawks.  Within the FM world, all of the best players in my save seem to be massive fans of Mr. T.

I think the 3d faces should appear in the match engine. It might be that it isn't working properly yet. I was under the impression this was the new match engine 'feature' that Si were lauding over before the game was released. The ideal for me would be to revamp a current face, with hair, in 3d and have him appear in the match engine. As the hair can be imported now, surely it is just a matter of time before we work out how to improve the faces too.

7 hours ago, pdstanbridge said:

I think the 3d faces should appear in the match engine. It might be that it isn't working properly yet. I was under the impression this was the new match engine 'feature' that Si were lauding over before the game was released. The ideal for me would be to revamp a current face, with hair, in 3d and have him appear in the match engine. As the hair can be imported now, surely it is just a matter of time before we work out how to improve the faces too.

Oh I thought you weren't currently able to import the hair or are you now able to get the hair in?

I've also established that the Si hair can be re-imported into Facegen. The only thing is, the folder containing the hair is missing the TGA files. The EGM and TRI files all exist, but because they have been exported without a TGA there is no image for Facegen. Not sure how to get round that?

Did anyone make any progress with this? Regen faces are one of the worst things about FM2018 for me, and as I normally play far into the future, it affects the game a ton.

6 minutes ago, Saevel said:

Did anyone make any progress with this? Regen faces are one of the worst things about FM2018 for me, and as I normally play far into the future, it affects the game a ton.

There is regen replacement pack that uses real photos knocking about on sortitoutsi forum? 

7 minutes ago, wkdsoul said:

There is regen replacement pack that uses real photos knocking about on sortitoutsi forum? 

Yep, I know. Not what I'm looking for, though. I just want generated regens of at least the same quality that we had a couple of years ago.

Hopefully FM will improve the faces a bit the next patch, but I think we will have to make more hair 3D models ourselves.

10 minutes ago, Saevel said:

Yep, I know. Not what I'm looking for, though. I just want generated regens of at least the same quality that we had a couple of years ago.

Hopefully FM will improve the faces a bit the next patch, but I think we will have to make more hair 3D models ourselves.

Ah ok no worries. prob be next year now before they overhaul the model graphics i would think

On 1.01.2018 at 16:53, wkdsoul said:

Ah ok no worries. prob be next year now before they overhaul the model graphics i would think

Someone might thought, that before implementing a feature to the game, it could be fully working. I don't know, hire Elon Musk maybe.