FM18: Athletic Club (Bilbao) - Los Leones

bowieinspace

In the Summer window, we managed to hold onto our key players and just sold the squad filler who were never going to become first team regulars e.g. Herrerin, Villalibre, Unai Lopez, Cordoba, Gil. We have enough youngsters who could do a job when needed.

To strengthen the CM options we signed Ruben Pardo from Valencia (they'd signed him from Sociedad but he never got much game time). CM is the one position that concerns me long term as Benat, Garcia, Torres and Iturraspe aren't young and probably only have 2-3 years maximum left in them. We were able to sign Herrera from Man Utd which meant we tried to move Benat on (his contract expires in the Summer) but he couldn't agree terms before the window shut with any suitors. Sporting will sign him in January though for 1.7m which is a nice little bonus.

Our other signings were pure potential; 16yo who'll go straight into the B squad or will be loaned out to a Division 2 club if they can promise first team football. Two real standouts; a guy from Athletico Madrid who can play all across the AM positions. He cost 6m but will be in the first team squad next season for sure. We signed a CB/LB from Levante for 3.2m (it took several bids before he'd discuss terms) and again he might break through next season seeing as Balenziaga is out of contract in the Summer and since he's backup I don't think we'll re-sign him.

Three games into the 19-20 season and we defeated Barcelona 3-1 at home on the opening day of the season, stumbled to a 0-0 away draw at Las Palmas but defeated Levante 2-0 away. We also beat Ajax 4-2 at home in our first CL group stage game. Herrera scored a hat trick with two worldies but the highlight was our 17yo right sided midfielder who signed last year from Sevilla playing brilliantly. He's been moved into the first team this season as backup to Susaeta.

If we can make 4th again this season and develop these youngsters across the season, and perhaps keep going as far as possible in the CL we'll take this as a success. Let's hope the new board agree.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@dothestrand : u'll be able to buy Merino at the end of next season if u have the money.

Selling Villalibre was something i didn't do , even when i was playing strikerless . Now i'm playing with a complete forward (Inaki) but he is scoring a lot when inaki needs rest(or is injured) .

1 hour ago, Olivierlandman said:

@dothestrand : u'll be able to buy Merino at the end of next season if u have the money.

Selling Villalibre was something i didn't do , even when i was playing strikerless . Now i'm playing with a complete forward (Inaki) but he is scoring a lot when inaki needs rest(or is injured) .

I have Bautista and Sabin Merino can also play up top, as can Raul Garcia for now. I have a couple of youth strikers not far off the first team.

1 hour ago, dothestrand said:

I have Bautista and Sabin Merino can also play up top, as can Raul Garcia for now. I have a couple of youth strikers not far off the first team.

Surprised you let Villalibre go, but maybe he’s not developed on your save. He’s one of my best players!

2 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

Surprised you let Villalibre go, but maybe he’s not developed on your save. He’s one of my best players!

I may have stuck a buy back clause. I usually have with the fringe players especially if I've sold them at below value. He didn't seem to make much progress. Even when out on loan in D2 he didn't perform that well. 

2021/2022 Season Preview!

Mixing it up a little bit this time, instead of doing a season review (although we'll talk a bit about last season obviously as well). There's been some big changes at the club this year so I am looking forward not back (NO ONE LOVES YOU AYMERIC :seagull:).... honestly, I'm not bitter.

So 2020/21, a great season! We smashed the domestic treble, winning the supercopa 7-0 on aggregate against Deportivo. Our form was consistent throughout the season, qualifying easily in 1st from our Champions League group, and dropping only a few points here and there in the league. We ended up winning the league with a few games to spare, Barca finished all the way down in 5th and Real came in 2nd. Real signed Dybala before the season started, and aside from their complete capitulation at the end of the previous season, they looked unstoppable. Adding Dybala to the mix left me thinking it was going to be a long tough season in the league, but in the end, we smashed it! We also beat Real 2-0 in the Copa Del Rey final. Wooo!

In the Champions League, we dispatched Liverpool and Monaco comfortably in the 1st KO round and quarter final, leaving us a semi final against Sporting Lisbon, which I was delighted to see get drawn. First leg at their place, Yuri gets sent off after 9 minutes for a two footed lunge. At that point I had concern, I knew we were in trouble and just needed to keep ourselves in with a shot for the second leg. We quickly went 1-0 down, and just before half time they added a second while we were down to 9 men due to injury. We re-organised a little at half time (although by that point we'd already made 3 subs due to two injuries and the sending off) and while still second best, found a foothold in the game. 70 minutes were on the clock, I yelled some encouragement from the touchline and before I knew it Villalibre popped up with a back post header...2-1! I thought if we could hold that, we had a great chance in the second leg. 87 minutes, Muniain scores a worldie! 2-2, an unbelievable turnaround! 

Second leg, back at San Mames...given our form and the turnaround from the first leg, I'm expecting to smash them and progress easily. We take a 1-0 lead after 3 minutes...cruising. After 5 minutes it's 1-1 though, they scored from a set piece....still, it's all in our hands, we're in good shape. We dominated the first half but squandered a few chances, and that pattern continued in the second half. By 70 minutes, we'd had 20 shots, 12 on target and they'd had 2 shots, 1 on target...just in time for them to score a winner then. It finished 2-1 to them as we couldn't find an equaliser. Lessons to be learnt though, I changed things around going for a second goal at about 65 minutes and the change was perhaps our undoing. I should have played it safe. They went on to lose the final against Man Utd.

So while we didn't finish the season on a high, that brings me to the upcoming season. I expected the squad to look much the same, with a few youngsters coming through, but I was mistaken:

Ek1qQxl.jpg

Laporte gone...Man United came in for him, he became unsettled. I knew they wouldn't pay his release clause, but then Monaco come in with 87up front, a further 40 in instalments....blimey that's close to his clause, either way I reject it. 2 days later Monaco are back in with the full 135million up front, he's unsettled so I can't negotiate a contract with him. He didn't even want to go to Monaco originally! He signs for them on the same wages he was on with me...what a douche. 

We also moved Vesga on for a tidy 14 million. He was a good rotation option, but with some good youngsters coming through he had to make room and came to me saying he wanted a new challenge. San Jose and Susaeta also left on free transfers, Ager Aketxe finally left too. San Jose I actually kinda wanted to keep around, at 32 he was getting on, but he hadn't declined much. I planned to release him, but when Laporte left he would have been the natural option to sit next to Yeray this season while I developed the young lad Ander Ruiz further. Sadly, San Jose was still unsettled from Man City interest about 18 months earlier (bug maybe?), so he wouldn't negotiate a new contract. Either way, he's only slightly better than the other options I have, and it allows me to give more minutes to the new youngster coming through.

Odriozola in! Massive wages, but who cares I'm swimming in money. With Odriozola on the right and Pena (pictured below) on the left, our full back slots are sorted for years. N.b. Eneko Pena is completely two footed so playing at left back isn't an issue for him at all. I also still have Yuri who is rotating the LB spot with Pena for now. We're unlikely to bring in any other players this window - I took a stab at Inigo Martinez but he chose to stay at La Real, and there's not really anyone else out there I want. Gotta have faith in the youth!

LdkrSDw.jpg

Player Updates

Aside from Pena above, who as you can see is progressing nicely, we have some talented youngsters who are taking up first XI spots, or will now need to come in for Laporte. 

Goalkeepers:

Kepa is still our number one, however Inaki Gonzalez is coming up quickly to challenge him.

NSZw1R1.jpg

Defenders:

In central defence, we will be pushing ahead with Yeray, being partnered by either Unai Nunez or Asier Arana (the latter has come on pretty well). However the long term goal is to bring Ander Ruiz, a superb youth prospect, through into the first XI:

Or9fTTY.jpg

As you can see he's not quite the finished article yet, but he's getting there. I anticipate he'll be sitting alongside Yeray as first choice later in the season if his development goes well. To be honest, Unai Nunez and Arana aren't good enough so he needs to improve, and quickly.

Midfield:

In the central areas, we have a set first choice pair of Mikel Merino and Jon Martinez (pictured below)

OMRQXxU.jpg

Jon Martinez is quite good....

Behind them, we have two regens, Isusko Alonso and Ignacio Rodriguez (the latter is younger, but my goodness he could be a god):

92m4dKW.jpg

NxdF4uD.jpg

In the wide areas we're well stacked up, with Muniain and Cordoba on the left (the latter had an average rating of 7.8 last season!) and Williams on the right. Oyarzabal deputises a little on the right, alongside De Marcos if necessary. We have a good young regen coming through on the right wing, but he's at the B team this season and needs more time.

Central attacking midfield we have Oyarzabal as our first choice, with two decent regens providing back up for him. one of them can also play CM and striker, so he's a bit of a flexible option, the other is a dedicated AMC, but it's his first year with the first team. Normally if Oyarzabal gets injured I move Muniain into the central role unless it's an easier game, or I go 4-4-2.

Up Front:

Villalibre leads the line, with Azcona as back up (n.b. for full disclosure, I edited Azcona in the DB as he's a potential superstar in real life, not rated highly in game - he is slowly becoming a good La Liga player, I gave him a variable PA, I'd imagine his PA in my save is around 145 at a rough guess, so good enough to contribute well, but easily replaceable with a good regen). We then have Oyarzabal, Muniain, Williams and the regen I just mentioned above to come in and help in certain situations. 

Tactics

We've been playing a 4-4-2 mostly in recent seasons, but with a slight lack of depth up front (or at least lack of natural strikers), I want to get everyone in to more suitable positions. My 4-4-2 worked well with Williams and Villalibre up front, meaning Susaeta played right midfield (WMa), however at 33 Susaeta was on the decline and needed to be moved on. Rather than nudging Oyarzabal out to WMa and have Williams up front, it felt more appropriate to have them playing more natural roles (which also helps Muniain into a more natural role on the left)...so 4-2-3-1 it is! We will still use the 4-4-2 fairly regularly though.

Cizc3EU.jpg

wOg4usf.jpg

As you can see, we're more suited to the 4-2-3-1, but the 4-4-2 works so well I won't get rid of it. We play both formations with the same over philosophy/approach. You can also see Villalibre is a god, I must've got super lucky with his variable PA this year and hit the very top end. I just got a new assman though so star ratings are a little off.

So what do I expect this season? Honestly probably not that different to previous years... losing Laporte is a big blow, but we've improved in other areas so it should balance out. Looking ahead though, not at Laporte. We'll keep scouting him. He might come back. Hopefully. :(

2016/2017

Very successful for me as I won the Copa del Rey and got CL qualification. It was a tough start after flirting with relegation and almost getting fired (again) but now, at least, I can focus on improving the squad and right now I'm already making moves for next season (Esipicueta, Igor from La Real, Otegui, Dani Garcia, etc. are all coming in July).

Km8W8g4.png

Big squad overhaul in the first season. Any player who wasn't good enough was rid of. Saved plenty of money on the wage bill.

CBQfkQJ.png

And we killed it against Atleti. Those guys never had a chance

qHhkQjh.png

n3BcvyD.png

Alright some players

OcrTdA1.png

Rock Solid at the back.

2Dz4jjy.png

Top goalscorer and assist man

WLnxNmQ.png

Best goalie we got and its not even close

p4Db6g1.png

Young CB but during an injury bug at the back he stepped up when needed. He has a great partnership with Laporte as well.

KAzBxYW.png

Great holding player. Only wish to get rid of that negative PPM :(

WT5iHEM.png

Had an early injury bug but he stepped up and scored plenty of important goals

8ZDnMzC.png

Solid player but his lack of pace worries me. I might just put him in midfield or just shift him on

jAZzHKz.png

Our record signing and has been a rock along with Mikel in midfield. The old boss is the new boss!!

What's the longest you guys have managed to keep Aduriz playing for? 

Just starting 2021/22 and it'll be his last season. He's 40, and will be 41 come end of the season :lol:

Won't be playing much, if at all this year. Only started a couple of games last season in Copa del Ray because I wanted to see about another season from him. Still a quality tutor, and has been a youth coach for quite a while now as well. 

1 hour ago, BrianMunich said:

Just starting 2021/22 and it'll be his last season. He's 40, and will be 41 come end of the season :lol:

Won't be playing much, if at all this year. Only started a couple of games last season in Copa del Ray because I wanted to see about another season from him. Still a quality tutor, and has been a youth coach for quite a while now as well. 

He retired at the end of the second season for me. Had still scored 20+ La Liga goals in that campaign.

3 hours ago, BrianMunich said:

He retiring at the end of the first season for me. I'm trying right now to persuade him to keep going, tho :D

Yeah, first season I've moved to play 4-2-3-1 and defensively we've been a rock! Just really seems to fit this seasons group of players wonderfully. 

Kepa has 26 clean sheets in La Liga... 33 year old Javi Martinez has been a rock in center mid, alongside Herrera as a bit of a throwback double-pivot. 

Had Yuri and Monreal at left back up the start of this season; Monreal retired, and decided to move on Yuri and place Laporte at left back. He's been highest rated player in La Liga, and with Inigo Martinez inside him and Javi in front the whole left side is a lock down. 

Really good to see everyone’s saves going so well ,I can only play touch so I’m into my 7 th season now and still failed to win the league , but have 2 cops del Rey and 1 champions league ,

academy as produced 2 gems of strikers both world class potential unfortunately really struggling to fill the left back and right back no decent prospects what so ever I’m even trying to retrain players in that position to no luck 

have signed a few under 16 players to boost the b team who are doing very well in second division but after next season I think I will stop and only use the academy players ....

I'm finding the attribute distribution for regens to be quite ridiculous. In first few seasons I went a bit crazy and brought in far too many 16 year olds without sufficient scouting. A lot of them now are well into their development, and getting good game time around La Liga and Segunda - but so many of them I just can't find space in my first team because their massively lacking one or two key attributes. 

For instance I've a 21 yo LB who's been loaned out to Valencia, and has had Barca bidding for him amongst others. He's got fantastic physicals for an attacking LB, and decent mentals - but has positioning, otb, marking, crossing and dribbling all well below standard.  

Have got a 21 year old midfielder who I think has probably fully developed. Is a CM with amazing acceleration, dribbling and pace, but no OTB or positioning what so ever. Not even enough crossing to retrain as a winger. 

Basically now any player from the age of 15/16 who has a balanced set of attributes for what I'm looking for is total gold dust, and is fast tracked straight to training in the first team.   

It does annoy me when there is one stat you can't improve. Zubeldia has had technique 11 for a season. It just won't go up regardless of how much coaching I give him. Maybe I should accept he will be an uncultured hatchet man! 

With young players I tend to go teamwork, workrate, determination, stamina, strength and natural fitness as my priorities. Obviously specific technical skills come into it but I find it more easy to improve these rather than bulk the kids up. Plus I like a hard working team with no lazy bastards. 

11 hours ago, BrianMunich said:

Yeah, first season I've moved to play 4-2-3-1 and defensively we've been a rock! Just really seems to fit this seasons group of players wonderfully. 

Kepa has 26 clean sheets in La Liga... 33 year old Javi Martinez has been a rock in center mid, alongside Herrera as a bit of a throwback double-pivot. 

Had Yuri and Monreal at left back up the start of this season; Monreal retired, and decided to move on Yuri and place Laporte at left back. He's been highest rated player in La Liga, and with Inigo Martinez inside him and Javi in front the whole left side is a lock down. 

nice ! can u show us your tactic ?

PS  : nice update bowie. some good newgens ! Your 4-4-2 is inspiring me to create one myself.. i think it's the only formation i didn't try to create on this version :o Still having tactic crisis (after winning a trophy or important game.. i want to create something new / challenge). 2 strikers is idd not easy with only Williams - Villalibre  - Newgen Alonso AND Garcia as a backup striker) to play.

Aduriz retired at the end of the second season.

10 hours ago, Olivierlandman said:

PS  : nice update bowie. some good newgens ! Your 4-4-2 is inspiring me to create one myself.. i think it's the only formation i didn't try to create on this version :o Still having tactic crisis (after winning a trophy or important game.. i want to create something new / challenge). 2 strikers is idd not easy with only Williams - Villalibre  - Newgen Alonso AND Garcia as a backup striker) to play.

Have you tried signing Jon Bautista? Sociedad usually sell him so it may be easier to sign him from the other club. Diarra has developed good off the ball and finishing stats and he is very quick so I may retrain him. He usually underperforms as an AM for me.

16 hours ago, Olivierlandman said:

Very Fluid - Standard/Counter 

Play out of Defence, More Disciplined, Close Down More 

SKs - Kepa

Fbs - Ordiozola
BPDc - Regen, Yeray
BPDd - I.Martinez
FBs - Laporte

BMWd - J.Martinez, Merino
DLPd - Herrera, Illarramendi

IFs - Willaims 
AMs - Regen 
IFs - Regen

DLFa - Villalibre

11 hours ago, dothestrand said:

Have you tried signing Jon Bautista? Sociedad usually sell him so it may be easier to sign him from the other club. Diarra has developed good off the ball and finishing stats and he is very quick so I may retrain him. He usually underperforms as an AM for me.

Yes i scouted him but he was not good enough when i played strikerless (with three AMC's) or with only one striker (williams or villalibre) .

Diarra is quite good , but i'm in october/november so can't recall anyone. 

On 2/14/2018 at 10:31, Olivierlandman said:

I love a good 4-4-2, to be honest even though I planned to go to a 4-2-3-1 this season as it fits my players better, I’m still using the 4-4-2 more often than not. 

1 hour ago, bowieinspace said:

I love a good 4-4-2, to be honest even though I planned to go to a 4-2-3-1 this season as it fits my players better, I’m still using the 4-4-2 more often than not. 

Oh. . . .I've found a 4 4 2 with asier-kenan works wonders

12 goals each in the league and I'm rotating then with a 4 2 3 1 containing iñaki

1 hour ago, bowieinspace said:

created one , first time in years ( i don't like to play with wingers or with real strikers.. time for this challenge) in +- october of my 4th season. the only problem i'm facing is .. not enough strikers.

Screen_Hunter_251_Feb_13_23_24.jpg

Control / fluid - close down more - dribble less - higher tempo and play out defence

Screen_Hunter_252_Feb_14_22_46.jpg

On 14-2-2018 at 15:33, BrianMunich said:

Very Fluid - Standard/Counter 

Play out of Defence, More Disciplined, Close Down More 

SKs - Kepa

Fbs - Ordiozola
BPDc - Regen, Yeray
BPDd - I.Martinez
FBs - Laporte

BMWd - J.Martinez, Merino
DLPd - Herrera, Illarramendi

IFs - Willaims 
AMs - Regen 
IFs - Regen

DLFa - Villalibre

great idea to put laporte on the DL position. in the 5th season i'll do the same and replace Balenziage with Laporte. I still have Martinez -  San Jose - Yeray and Nunez for the dc spots.

The 19-20 draws to a close. It had been a three way tussle between Barcelona, Athletic Madrid and Atletico Bilbao! Real Madrid were well off the pace and didn't even finish in the CL spots. Expect some unglamorous Europa League visits for Messrs Ronaldo and Bale next season. Fortunately we never slumped at any point across the season. Each defeat was followed with a strong response, and we drew very few games, which helped. The key personnel all performed; Kepa, Laporte, Herrera, Williams, Muniain and most intriguingly - Jon Bautista - who finished with the Pichichi. Diarra was young player of the year too. The three of us switched places throughout the season, but it came to the final two games with us a point ahead of Athletic Madrid. Our next game? Home to Real Madrid. Surely Real were about to make their first contribution to the title? No, they were easily brushed aside 2-0. So as long as we won our last game, at home to Gijon, we'd be champions. No doubt about the final result, we hammered them 4-0!

In the close season, two big names left when their contracts expired - Balenziaga and Garcia. The former was very much second choice LB and whilst Garcia made some good contributions, he had become injury prone and was on 100k per week. Roberto Torres, another midfielder was shipped out due to two seasons of underperformance. Why let these CMs go? Because Newcastle were willing to do business for Mikel Merino. £24m, all my transfer budget, was the fee but I was happy to part with it (we're well down on the wage budget anyway). The thought of a Herrea/Merino CM partnership with Iturraspe behind them sounds fantastic. Otherwise, it's bringing through some younger players in the first team. We have a young LB who can play backup to Yuri and may need another wide option as Sabin Merino is about to be sold. He's made little progress and constantly complains about training.

CL places are the minimum for the season. We're well aware this could be a 'Leicester' season but who knows?

I bought Bautista in the winterbreak for only 1.2milj ! he'll be my backup striker for Villalibre - Williams in my third season.

scored a hattrick in his first (cup) game.

Currently flying with my 4-4-2 , 30 on 30 in la liga, 9 / 9 in CL.. 

Played real away in the cup and created 7 ccc's. Now won against them in la liga (3-1 ) and created  8 ccc's. really going strong.

By October 2019 Sociedad had loaned Oyarzabal out to Tigres for a couple of seasons and were willing to accept 9m on his return. I didn't quite have it but thought if wages came in under we could readjust the budgets. I was told he wasn't that interested but I offered 100k which he readily agreed to. So I had to cancel the transfer as the board wouldn't give extra funds. So I am just hoping that nobody else comes in for him under January. I'll have to find someone to get rid of of course.

Also is it easy to do screenshots of players? I will upload some of my Regens. Is it something the game can do it is it a print screen type thing?

Ah I figured out how to do it. Here's some of the regens I've got so far in my under-19s/B/main squads

Ander Iribarren came through our youth ranks. I reckon he'll be challenging Ander Capa for the RB slot within a couple of seasons.

Ander Iribarren.png

Jose Alberto Hernando was signed from Athletic Madrid for 6m. He was probably the best 16yo from that year's youth intake. He needs to kick on more because Diarra has the AM position locked down. We'll see if he has potential out wide or back in CM.

Jose Alberto Hernando.png

Season 4 update :

Won the supercopa against Villareal.

Quarter final CL : lost against Chelsea (2-1 at the bridge , 1-2 at bilbao)

Won la liga for the second time (3 games before the end - 10 point lead (real madrid is second)

Won copa del rey for the third time in a row , 1-0 against Barcelona.

First season i'm playing with striker(s) . Williams is doing great but Villalibra is la liga topscorer , he scored 30 goals in 37 games(copa and cl included).

My 4-4-2 is really going great and fun to play with.   Next update about a few regens that i'll promote.

Archived