Sports Interactive Community
michaeltmurrayuk

[GUIDE] How to Locate or Move Your User Data Location

2018_guide.thumb.png.dc8f38c819fef7a7b16c58953f65a70a.png

Football Manager 2016-2018 - How to Locate or Move your User Data Location

I've made a slight change to the guide this year to make it easier to update in the future, the content in it now applies to each version since Football Manger 2016 you just need to change the year for the version you are using in the instructions and follow any specific instructions for that version.

Since Football Manager 2016 your User Data Location is no longer listed or editable from within the game.

And since Football Manager 2017 the Touch Mode is a separate entry in your Steam Game Library so the instructions are slightly different depending on which mode of Football Manager you are using since FM2017.

Thankfully Football Manager 2018 hasn't made any changes to this, so these instructions are the same as last years with just the game year changing.

This guide is split into two parts;

1. How to Locate Your User Data Location - If you only want to add custom content to your game or want access to your save game this is the guide you want.

Football Manager 2016-18 - How to Locate your Default User Data Location

Football Manager Touch 2017-18 - How to Locate Your Default User Data Location

2. How to Change Your User Data Location - If you want to move your user data location to a different part of your computer then you need to read this part of the guide as well.

Football Manager 2016-18 - How to Change your User Data Location

Football Manager Touch 2017-18 - How to Change your User Data Location

Football Manager 2016-2018: How To Locate Your Default User Data Location

With the removal of the User Data Location feature from the preferences menu it is no longer possible to locate your User Data Location from within the game.

However depending on the OS you are using your default User Data Location will be located in one of these folders:

Windows

C:\Users\[Your Windows Username]\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 20XX\

Mac

/Users/[Your Mac Username]/Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 20XX/

Linux

/home/documents/Sports Interactive/FM20XX/

Replace XX with the version of FM you are using, so for FM18 you'd be looking for the Football Manager 2018 folder.

Your User Data Location is where the game stores any user generated files, this can be files generated by the game such as Save Games (though you can still customize your save game location from the save game menus in game), saved shortlists, tactics or custom views, or it will be where you put any custom graphics you have downloaded such as skins, kits or logos.

Whilst the process to change and locate your User Data Location has changed since FM16 the subfolders (such as graphics and skins) that you put user generated content into hasn't changed and as such you should follow the same procedures as in previous versions.

Also note if the game doesn't create the graphics folder within your User Data Location, you will need to create this folder before adding custom graphics.

Football Manager Touch 2017-18: How To Locate Your Default User Data Location

Since Football Manager 2017 the Touch Mode is now a separate game in your Steam Library so it uses slightly different folder locations to the main version of the game.

With the removal of the User Data Location feature from the preferences menu it is no longer possible to locate your Saving Location from within the game.

However depending on the OS you are using your default User Data Location will be located in one of these folders:

Windows

C:\Users\[Your Windows Username]\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager Touch 20XX\

Mac

/Users/[Your Mac Username]/Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager Touch 20XX/

Linux

/home/documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager Touch 20XX/

Replace XX with the version of FMT you are using, so for FMT18 you'd be looking for the Football Manager Touch 2018 folder.

Your User Data Location is where the game stores any user generated files, this can be files generated by the game such as Save Games (though you can still customize your save game location from the save game menus in game), saved shortlists, tactics or custom views, or it will be where you put any custom graphics you have downloaded such as skins, kits or logos.

Whilst the process to change and locate your User Data Location has changed since FMT17 the subfolders (such as graphics and skins) that you put user generated content into hasn't changed and as such you should follow the same procedures as in previous versions.

Also note if the game doesn't create the graphics folder within your User Data Location, you will need to create this folder before adding custom graphics.

Football Manager 2016-18: How to change your User Data Location

NOTE: Screenshots are from FM17 but the same applies for FM16 and FM18 just change the year for the version you are using.

Since FM2016 you are no longer able to adjust your User Data Location (Saving Location) from within the Preferences Menu.

This feature was removed because it was apparently causing confusion among users, however it is still possible to adjust your User Data Location if you don't want it in the default location, however you now need to add a command line to the game launch options.

(NOTE: You only need to follow the below instructions if you want to move the location, these instructions aren't needed if you are just wanting to add content to the default location).

To do this follow the instructions below:

- Go into Steam -> Library -> Games view.

- Locate the version of Football Manager you are using and right-click on the game.

- Select 'Properties'

- Click 'Set Launch Options...'

- Copy the following into the dialogue box: --user_data_location="<path>"

- In the <path> section, enter the exact path you wish the folder to be generated (ie D:\Users\ etc)

So for example if you wanted your User Data Location to be G:\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017

You would add the following text to the dialogue box:

--user_data_location="G:\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017"

So your Launch Options box should look something like this for Football Manager 2017:

fm17_savinglocation_launchbox.jpg.ba2f3d

Note that this folder location needs to already exist on your hard drive before setting the launch option, then when you next launch Football Manager the game will automatically generate the needed subfolders (such as games and skins). There also shouldn't be any problem with setting both your Full and Touch Mode Saving Locations to the same location, which should save you having to duplicate any custom graphics you have downloaded. You should also be able to set the location to that used by a previous version of the game, just make sure to backup your save games so you don't overwrite them and to remove any non-compatible custom graphics first.

If done correctly the contents of your custom User Data Location should look something like this after having run the game with the launch option set:

fm17_savinglocation_folders.thumb.jpg.cd

Also note that if you have already created anything in game with the default location set (such as save games, shortlists, or tactics) you will need to manually copy the items over to your new location. And if the game doesn't create the graphics folder you'll need to create this folder yourself before adding any custom graphics.

To reset your User Data Location to the default position you just need to delete the command line and on your next restart of FM17 the game will go back to using the default location. (Again you'll need to manually copy over any existing files from your old custom location to the default location for them to be read by the game).

Football Manager Touch 2017-18: How to change your User Data Location

Since FM2016 you are no longer able to adjust your User Data Location (Saving Location) from within the Preferences Menu and since FM2017 the Touch Mode is now a separate game.

This feature was removed because it was apparently causing confusion among users, however it is still possible to adjust your User Data Location if you don't want it in the default location, however you now need to add a command line to the game launch options.

(NOTE: You only need to follow the below instructions if you want to move the location, these instructions aren't needed if you are just wanting to add content to the default location).

To do this follow the instructions below:

- Go into Steam -> Library -> Games view.

- Locate the Touch version of Football Manager you are using and right-click on the game.

- Select 'Properties'

- Click 'Set Launch Options...'

- Copy the following into the dialogue box: --user_data_location="<path>"

- In the <path> section, enter the exact path you wish the folder to be generated (ie D:\Users\ etc)

So for example if you wanted your Saving Location to be G:\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017

You would add the following text to the dialogue box:

--user_data_location="G:\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017"

So  your Launch Options box should look something like this for Football Manager Touch 2017:

fm17t_savinglocation_launchbox.jpg.8a6dd

Note that this folder location needs to already exist on your hard drive before setting the launch option, then when you next launch FMT2017 the game will automatically generate the needed subfolders (such as games and skins). There also shouldn't be any problem with setting both your Full and Touch Mode Saving Locations to the same location, which should save you having to duplicate any custom graphics you have downloaded.

If done correctly the contents of your custom User Data Location should look something like this after having run the game with the launch option set:

fm17_savinglocation_folders.thumb.jpg.cd

Also note that if you have any already created anything in game with the default location set (such as save games, shortlists, or tactics) you will need to manually copy the items over to your new location. Also the BETA versions aren't creating the graphics folder so before you add any graphics you'll need to create this folder yourself.

To reset your Saving Location to the default position you just need to delete the command line and on your next restart of FMT17 the game will go back to using the default location. (Again you'll need to maunaly copy over any existing files from your old custom location to the default location for them to be read by the game).

Troubleshooting

If the game isn't reading your graphics from your custom location.

- First check to make sure that the game has created the default folders inside your location (skins, games etc...)
- If the game hasn't created the folders make sure the folder name and path matches what you put in the Launch Options box and that you created the folder before running FM.
- Make sure you have turn off the skin cache and reloaded your skin and followed any install instructions to get custom graphics working.
- If it still doesn't work then try using a different location with a shorter name i.e. C:\FM18

MAC - If you are running your custom location from a usb drive then you location needs to start volumes\usb\<Folder_Path>

Trying to change my user location on Mac is driving me absolutely up the wall. Needed to get it out of my Documents folder, because it was causing iCloud issues.

This is what I have in launch options at the moment:

--user_data_location="/Users/j*********r/Games/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2018/"

and this is a copy/paste of the directory info:

/Users/j*********r/Games/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2018

I've tried putting it in any way I can think of. With/without the / at the front and/or back, with/without Macintosh HD before Users... etc etc.

Nothing seems to be working. Does anyone know the 100% right way to make Steam/FM find that folder?

13 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Have you made sure the folder location above exists and that FM can access it?

I don't use a Mac so not sure of how the folder path is laid out, @Lucas Weatherby is a Mac user so he might know what exactly you need to type in the path bit.

Yeah, the folder definitely exists.

Fingers crossed @Lucas Weatherby can help. I'm going through several stages of insanity with this - really doesn't seem like it should be this difficult. :D

On 20/06/2018 at 08:38, TopToffee said:

Yeah, the folder definitely exists.

Fingers crossed @Lucas Weatherby can help. I'm going through several stages of insanity with this - really doesn't seem like it should be this difficult. :D

Have you tried removing the / in front of "/Users/" ? 

1 minute ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

Have you tried removing the / in front of "/Users/" ? 

Yeah, have tried no / at the start and/or end (all combinations). Have also tried starting the path with Macintosh HD, before Users

Try using just this: 

-user_data_location=Users/j*********r/Games/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2018

Make sure the full path exists.

8 hours ago, Nurudin said:

Is this work for FM 19?

I'd like to know this as well. 

I've tried changing mine based on the steps listed above. But have had no joy in getting it to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Update: Finally got it to work with 19, after a few hours.

Edited by Christo

13 hours ago, Nurudin said:

Is this work for FM 19?

Yes instructions are the same for FM19 (just update your paths to point to FM19 stuff) if you are struggling have a look at this thread for FM19 details:

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Christo:

I'd like to know this as well. 

I've tried changing mine based on the steps listed above. But have had no joy in getting it to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Update: Finally got it to work with 19, after a few hours.

can you share how you got it to work? it's not working the above described way for me.

@Nurudin @Klausfritzdieter

What are you trying to do?

- If you want to locate the default folder you need to have run the game at least once for the default folders to be generated. Also if you are running windows and have the library feature turned on check your library folders and remove the public documents location as that may result in you having duplicate Sports Interactive folders listed. (though the game should still read from both).

- If you are moving the location then first make sure the game isn't running, then need to create the folder you want to use and to save any problems highlight the folder path in windows and copy the full thing, then paste that in the path bit to ensure you haven't made a typo. Also if you are having problems then try putting the location in the root of one of your drives with a short name i.e. C:\FM19.

If none of that works then post up a screenshot of your launch box and a screenshot of the folder location you are wanting to use. (as per the above screenshots).

It would be much better, if FM would save the user-data, save-data, all data, in the same directory where FM is stored. So FM\userdata  & FM\Saves etc. In the end the users knows best where he has the most space and the Files are all together - more easy to make a backup. And c:\ ist vulnurable for viruses and at pc-crash the parition will be lost.

4 hours ago, o0Pascal0o said:

It would be much better, if FM would save the user-data, save-data, all data, in the same directory where FM is stored. So FM\userdata  & FM\Saves etc. In the end the users knows best where he has the most space and the Files are all together - more easy to make a backup. And c:\ ist vulnurable for viruses and at pc-crash the parition will be lost.

Also means you'd have to run FM in administrator mode 24/7 or FM wouldnt be able to write to the registry. The current method is industry accepted, not only for gaming but also software, for a reason

Hi - this is a total nightmare! FM19 simply isn't creating the default user folders around my specified user path as per above.

Any hints? 

HI, guys and Happy New Year!

I have this question:

I have fm17 and fm18 on Win7. I want to use ONE graphics folder for both. Can I do that and how?

If I set the FM18 launch attribute to FM17 user files there are incompatible skins, editor data files in it.

What can I do??

On 01/01/2019 at 17:29, freako said:

What can I do??

Use separate data locations for both versions as it is set by default.

Hi, for people who don’t have steam what should I do?  I’ve created a batch file with - - user_data_location=“F:\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2019” (I have everything on an external hard drive, including the game) and posted it on where .exe is located, but it doesn’t seem to work. I wanted to change my Sports Interactive folder to my external hard drive... 

37 minutes ago, Pinoquio413 said:

Hi, for people who don’t have steam what should I do?  I’ve created a batch file with - - user_data_location=“F:\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2019” (I have everything on an external hard drive, including the game) and posted it on where .exe is located, but it doesn’t seem to work. I wanted to change my Sports Interactive folder to my external hard drive... 

buy the game

@michaeltmurrayuk Hi Michael, quick question. Will doing this overwrite existing folders and create new ones or will it pick up the existing folders+content? I recently installed a new SSD on my PC and am launching FM19 from the old HDD so am trying tog et the game to recognize my older folder and files.

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Sorry for posting here if it's the wrong place.

I signed up for the Xbox/PC Game Pass announced yesterday at the Xbox E3 keynote, and saw FM19 was included, so installed immediately, however the locations mentioned above do not seem to work for this version (they do not get created upon launching the game, and manually creating them does not work either).

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: 

I've found the answer:

In the usual folder (My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 20XX) there is a folder called GamePass (which was hidden for me, until I started hunting!) and all new content goes in there as usual

Edited by reno79

On 10/06/2019 at 12:00, reno79 said:

Hi all,

Sorry for posting here if it's the wrong place.

I signed up for the Xbox/PC Game Pass announced yesterday at the Xbox E3 keynote, and saw FM19 was included, so installed immediately, however the locations mentioned above do not seem to work for this version (they do not get created upon launching the game, and manually creating them does not work either).

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: 

I've found the answer:

In the usual folder (My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 20XX) there is a folder called GamePass (which was hidden for me, until I started hunting!) and all new content goes in there as usual

So everything is working fine with the gamepass version?

On 18/06/2019 at 13:07, MrGizMo said:

So everything is working fine with the gamepass version?

With the GamePass version there is no access to the editor, and I'm unable to find the langdb.dat file to be able to use FMScout's editor.

Apart from that it appears to be all good

Great work, thanks for your effort, @michaeltmurrayuk. Is there anyone who has experienced the performance difference of relocating the user data folder from an SSD to an HDD as I am considering to do since the additional graphics take too much space (almost 15 GB)? For example, when visiting a player's profile, I do not experience any delay. Will it be same if I relocate the user data folder to a HDD? Asking since I do not have any idea how the caching is implemented in FM.

Got a weird situation where I've changed the launch options for both Touch and the full version to the exact same path (to save having 2 copies of graphics etc)

It's working perfectly on the full version, but Touch isn't finding any of the graphics files etc, and keeps creating a user folder in the default location.