Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

59 minutes ago, Clausdk said:

Is the old matchscreen completely gone? I always liked to view the match, using this:

image.thumb.png.f159a659c88a61f89f51adcde3d3913b.png

In previous versions, you had the option to choose the above matchscreen.

Yes, this is a real disappointment for me, it was one of my favourite screens; so simple with all the information I needed, plus I used to like the stadium showing through so I could see where I'd just played. I used to screen grab these pages and keep them to look back on for nostalgia too.

FM17:

13zo3va.png

FM18:

2lu5a0w.png

FM18 is an absolute eyesore in comparison. Is there any way this "overview" screen can be brought back? Or some clever mod out there able to skin it?

EDIT: I've opened up a thread on this subject: 

Edited by stevemc

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Yes, this is a real disappointment for me, it was one of my favourite screens; so simple with all the information I needed, plus I used to like the stadium showing through so I could see where I'd just played. I used to screen grab these pages and keep them to look back on for nostalgia too.

FM17:

13zo3va.png

FM18:

2lu5a0w.png

FM18 is an absolute eyesore in comparison. Is there any way this "overview" screen can be brought back? Or some clever mod out there able to skin it?

EDIT: I've opened up a thread on this subject: 

Realistically you're going to have to wait for some skins.

My thoughts so far...

ME seems fairly stable, I played one friendly and it all went well, nice football played and felt good.

We still have that bloody continual crowd noise at half time/full time team talks, please do something about it, so annoying.

My friendly was against Preston Athletic  the Scottish lower leagues, they had around 8,000 crowd at the game all dressed in blue like the team, I've reported it in the bugs thread. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1197094743

Game is a wee bit laggy but not enough to really make much difference, so far so good though.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Rober82 said:

Regarding this, it seems FM automatictly transfered my tac files into fmf files when moving to full game. But these cant be loaded either. Whats the purpose of this trasfer if not to use them in the fullgame? Seems abundant.

Yeah seems odd it's done that. Can you raise it on the bugs forum please? Thanks. 

Since the last beta patch my games have been lagging after highlights, mostly after goals, and this has continued with the full release. I've lowered graphical quality and it makes no difference, after the highlight finishes playing the screen just processes with the match stats for about a minute before the team information displays and the game gets underway again. It's taking me quite a long time to get through matches.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, BossPenguin said:

Since the last beta patch my games have been lagging after highlights, mostly after goals, and this has continued with the full release. I've lowered graphical quality and it makes no difference, after the highlight finishes playing the screen just processes with the match stats for about a minute before the team information displays and the game gets underway again. It's taking me quite a long time to get through matches.

Are you running in 2D, 3D or Only Commentary? 

1 hour ago, oulzac said:

I waiting for the inevitable FM18 skin that makes FM18 look like FM17 as best it can. Sounds like a bunch of you are also.

Really shouldn't be this way. You'd hope with a new game people wouldn't want elements of an older game back.

I think some parts of the new UI look decent, mainly the new features like dynamics and the medical centre. However some of it just didn't need changing. I hope SI don't feel like they have to change the UI completely every year to justify the release of a new game. A more solid, consistent UI with great new features added each year would satisfy most people I'd have thought.

There has definitely been a step backwards in some of the UI, the match day experience feels a bit all over the show, and not as considered as previous versions, widgets everywhere, just seems clunky, the removal of the match overview screen tops it off for me.

1 minute ago, stevemc said:

There has definitely been a step backwards in some of the UI, the match day experience feels a bit all over the show, and not as considered as previous versions, widgets everywhere, just seems clunky, the removal of the match overview screen tops it off for me.

I feel the same way. There are some great new features, and all in all i'm quite excited about FM18, but the missing match overview screen is a step backwards for me to.

The rest of the game is fine for me, I like the rest of the non-match day screens, it looks great. I have no real issues with it, and like the default ski.

But the match day experience looks like its been created in Microsoft Paint, with a few extra clicks thrown in for a laugh. I'd be interested in someone making just a match day mod/skin.

Edited by stevemc

I don't get how the MLS works in this game.

Under MLS rules in real life:

For each Designated Player, $400,000[7][8] of his salary is charged to the salary cap and paid by the league, with any remaining salary being paid by the team's owner. This value was increased for the 2009 season to $415,000.

If that is the case then why is their no way for me to offer more than 20k per week for a DP when my highest earner at the club is on 12k per week.

Kaka is on 110k at Orlando

Giovinco is on 105k at Toronto.

I have used the editor to increase wage and transfer budget but still my wage budget in game does not change. Am I missing something?

Effectively I should be able to get $33,333.33 covered by the salary cap per month and then pay him whatever I want on top of that. But it just seems to be capped at spending $57,000.

Edited by Anaconda Vice

Just now, Kazza said:

Always find it interesting that in Real Life, Newcastle United get about 50K season tickets, yet in this game 35K? just saying.

Are you sure? The stadium holds 52,000 so I doubt they give away almost 98% of their tickets to season ticket holders.

8 minutes ago, TheInvisibleMan said:

Are you sure? The stadium holds 52,000 so I doubt they give away almost 98% of their tickets to season ticket holders.

Good point will delve into it a bit more - thought I was correct but you raise an interesting point. You were correct: 38,000 ticket holders, Newcastle United. Thank you for the challenge. :) Stadium holds approx.  52K but not ticket holders.

Edited by Kazza

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, stevemc said:

3 finger swipe on MacBook still isn't working. Cannot swipe out of FM18 into my desktop, which I could in FM17.

This is because full screen is just maximised borderless, rather than native full screen for Mac. Its something we are looking into.

12 minutes ago, stevemc said:

3 finger swipe on MacBook still isn't working. Cannot swipe out of FM18 into my desktop, which I could in FM17.

Temporary solution for me has been to swipe up to reveal all your open windows, add another desktop and then drag FM onto that one. It then functions very much the same way FM17 did with the 3 finger swipe.

Good way to get around it until it's fixed.

Impressions as a long term player since CM93.

Overall? Very positive - I love the new dynamics feature in particular. One of the issues in the past has been that it sometimes felt players were machines, rather than people, and being involved with a Non League club I know only too well the importance of individual feelings within a squad. The match briefings is another - I wasn't sure about this when it was announced, but I am finding it excellent. I particularly liked the option to remind my players that I had an injury to one of our important players, and that the rest needed to step up a gear.  

I am currently managing Holyhead Hotspur in the Cmryu Alliance, and once again have found it very easy to add new leagues - the ability to do this is still my favourite new addition of the last few years. My team are playing the way I want them to - using a couple of the new roles has really helped with this, and they genuinely offer something different. I've not really had the opportunity to have a proper play with the new scouting system as yet (my club haven't got the money!), but it looks impressive, and I do like that players are more willing to approach clubs directly now, which again is something which (shouldn't but does!) happen locally in the Non League game. 

Only real negative so far has been occasional slowdown/lag in the matches, but not enough to adversely affect my enjoyment. I do like the new Data Analyst cam, which has really grown on me - having previously used Elevated exclusively, I wasn't sure in the beta and found myself missing the old view, but it does enable a view which has been missing since the 2D days, particularly important when setting up a tactic preseason and being able to see where adjustments are needed. 

Suggestion for an improvement - the Medical Centre is a big step in the right direction, but I have found myself missing a feature which I'm pretty sure used to exist, in that it would be great if niggly/recurrent injuries could be treated by sending a player for an operation to cure on a more permanent basis. If this could be brought back, and I suspect it may be in the pipeline for a future version, it would give us fuller control over such unavoidable matters as injury. I'm not seeing overly high levels of injury, which is encouraging (3 injuries in a 35 man including trialists squad over the course of preseason - we had 6 missing for our first game of the season this year IRL, three of them with injuries picked up in the last friendly!)

Most of all though, the immersion that has made me play this game for nearly 25 years is still there, much to my wife's dismay. Slight graphical niggles aside which I have no doubt will be rectified before too long, it's excellent.

25 minutes ago, MoxeysTheName said:

Does anybody know if it's a random brexit in FM18, in terms of hard or soft?

I haven't got  that far yet but seeing as we still don't know what will happen in reality, I would think that there's still the random element to it.

I'm not sure is SI have made anything about it more specific a year on from Fm17 though.   

1 hour ago, MoxeysTheName said:

Does anybody know if it's a random brexit in FM18, in terms of hard or soft?

I am sure that it was said in another thread that the brexit decision is random and set at the start of a new game, but that you cannot predict what brexit you will get.

First off, kudos to the team for releasing the official game on Thursday (here in the US).  I decided to give it a go to see how the performance was because I was unhappy with the beta.  The performance is still not as good as FM 2017 but if I am patient it is tolerable.  However, there are definitely some quirky areas.  For example using the in-game editor on staff is very slow and looks like the font doesn't fit with the editable spaces.  I also notice various database omissions for North America.  For example, I was examining Cuahtemoc Blanco for a possible coaching or scouting position.  The database did not reflect the fact that he played in MLS for several years and did not reflect that he would at least have had knowledge of US players.  Looking at Victor Ulloa I see the database ignores the fact that he was homegrown by FC Dallas in their academy.  I was hoping to find the kids from the US U17 national team that went to the recent U17 World Cup quarter finals but only found some of them.  I used the in-game editor to modify an existing player into Josh Sargent, a key member of the U17 team and now called up for a senior team match against Portugal.  However, the in-game editor now does not seem to have any way to change a player's appearance. so Josh, who should have bright red hair, had to settle for brown. I'm sure that over time many of the other small quirks will be documented, and hopefully addressed, but for now I am satisfied, assuming that improvements will be coming.

1 minute ago, JimV said:

Can you either disable that lame x-factoresque plastic music that plays when you load or can you replace it with something that adults might like? If so, does anyone know how?

Cheers.

You can turn the music off in preferences.

9 minutes ago, JimV said:

I've just looked everywhere in preferences and I can't see where this option is.

It's on the first screen when you click on preferences, down the bottom left, just under the clickable option to enable/disable sound in matches.