Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

9 hours ago, Per Annum said:

Trying to keep calm but I'm so majorly gutted about logged UI problems that haven't been addressed. I'm not talking about design choices but genuine instantces of nonsense. 

What's the point?

Well, there you go and you wonder why people dont document bugs and get all fired about it... Now you know

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, eye-switcher said:

Well, there you go and you wonder why people dont document bugs and get all fired about it... Now you know

Not all bugs can be fixed immediately. There was a lot that was fixed too, so don't get caught up in what one person said.

1 minute ago, Hibs1875 said:

Played every single fm and loved them all but this game is terrible! Wont let me change player roles on tactic screen had no choice but to get a full refund which got accepted now.

That's really weird, it's working perfectly for me, you sure you were clicking on the right bit? 

3 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

That's really weird, it's working perfectly for me, you sure you were clicking on the right bit? 

Yeah im clicking on the right bit i have tried to change player roles every way possible but it always takes two or three attempts to change to the one that i click on. Seen a few other people post same bug but nobody at si has a clue what to do.

31 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Match engine

Counter attacking / AI in general doesn't appear much cop at this point. It's something picked up from watching general play, and then "stress tested" by going with the already top heavy 4-2-3-1 Denmark, putting EVERY player on an attack duty. Rather than getting grilled away at Hamburg (admitted, they're not Bayern), I saw the side being up 4-2 at HT. 

I've noticed from watching several YouTube streamers that they are using very attacking tactics with half the team on attack duties. You'd be torn to shreds on FM17 for that, but this version is not adept at doing so. Quite depressing.

1 minute ago, Hibs1875 said:

Yeah im clicking on the right bit i have tried to change player roles every way possible but it always takes two or three attempts to change to the one that i click on. Seen a few other people post same bug but nobody at si has a clue what to do.

I note that you have raised a thread in the relevant Bugs forum so why not wait till the SI staff can get to the bottom of this as it is clesrly not happening to every user and will probably be an adjustment needed to your settings.

16 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

I've noticed from watching several YouTube streamers that they are using very attacking tactics with half the team on attack duties. You'd be torn to shreds on FM17 for that, but this version is not adept at doing so. Quite depressing.

Yeah, similar initially FM 2015 (where it was patched subsequently which is of note). From watching players, I'd though it was mainly something with stuffing the box with three forwards, which in my anal way of playing I then would have refused to using. Win buttons are cheap, no idea how anybody can have fun downloading any "super tactics" each year and pushing continue, as with such tactics the game isn't even about squad development anymore as player quality is drawn moot, so where's much game in that, but each to their own totally.  I reckon FM will only really get to the actual dynamics fully of this (where sides are punished for much less, ask Guardiola), once a few structurally overhauls in the ME are in place. Thinking of proper collision models between players in particular, and the more "physical sides" to defending being a few better represented. After all, there's two aspects of it: Not merely the counter attacking AI. But the overloading of the final third of the pitch either being too effective or not. From prior experience, this won't last long either way though. :)

Stuff like that likely isn't hugely focused / picked up on testing as the bulk of the soak tests are run with AI sides. I wouldn't dismiss anybody's feedback eventually probably coming in when he may report a match with 60 shots / 15 on target, no goals either though (which naturally is only possible with similar tactics, as it's also hugely compressing the attacking space, so depending on which most of the shots can be poor, rushed, or entirelly set piece based affairs -- no matter for how long SI tweak this, some header after a corner/IDFK will never have the same scoring probability as a tap-in after some nice attacking move from open play, or else they'd create a complete fantasy).

Edited by Svenc

6 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Never touched my settings.

16 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Most of the prominent YT beta series have been at top clubs though (Arsenal, Monaco, Ajax, Liverpool etc), so you'd expect a bit more leeway. The ones who've started at diddy teams (Loki at Cardiff Uni, Cpt Goodspeed at Blyth) have struggled massively. 

In fact, Dr Benjy has now been sacked three times in his Twitch streams at lower league sides, and he's normally very successful (eventually)

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Most of the prominent YT beta series have been at top clubs though (Arsenal, Monaco, Ajax, Liverpool etc), so you'd expect a bit more leeway. The ones who've started at diddy teams (Loki at Cardiff Uni, Cpt Goodspeed at Blyth) have struggled massively. 

In fact, Dr Benjy has now been sacked three times in his Twitch streams at lower league sides, and he's normally very successful (eventually)

Wasn't aware of these examples so good to know. It seems there is a closer link between the attributes of top players and their on pitch performances - i.e first pace, first touch, finishing. This is a great step, but it can mean that quality players mask poor tactics.

Just now, rdbayly said:

Wasn't aware of these examples so good to know. It seems there is a closer link between the attributes of top players and their on pitch performances - i.e first pace, first touch, finishing. This is a great step, but it can mean that quality players mask poor tactics.

Which they do in RL. Just ask Zidane.

30 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

They could before. :DAnd honestly, to get a side consistently underperforming you always needed to do some weird stuff (or make completely panic decisions). Some of the stuff AI managers did in FM 17 on occasion too, they'd be likely eyed with a few suspicious in the tactical forums for them (the notion that you'd needed to read a bible to play this is completely odd -- I stopped engaging in the tactical communities much as I prefer the game to remain a bit of a challenge). If guys like Kroos ran out of options, they took a shot and hit the home run. If a decent dribbler runs out of them, he dribbles around. A better defender may win the additional last ditch tackle to secure the points. The game will always try to struck that a balance. Still I see no evidence of all guys simply using top sides. (I didn't use one either). But it's something that will be eventually patched a few either way, as it would affect the game world in general, no matter the tactics. Don't panic. Something like that just highlights it a few, is all. :)

Edited by Svenc

9 hours ago, Jack Deal said:

When you're moving the widget around, there should be four icons that appear - at the top, left, right, and bottom of the pitch area - and if you drag onto one of those it will "dock" the widget. They're only visible when you're moving the widget.

Problem is...with the release version I can only seem to have one dock.  In Beta I had a left dock (both teams player ratings) right dock (Focus of attacks, Action zones, and opp formation), and bottom dock (my team body language, player performance, and assistant feedback).  I could open and close any of the three at will and have the information I wanted to look at while playing out my matches.  That left me screen space to have match stats and live league table up full time and still have a good view of the match.

Since release, I can only fill one of the docks.  I can't manage to get all three docks working.

Really liking the game so far, but my main and only disappointments are... 

- the option to change the in game graphics filter is no longer there. As a sight impaired user I always used to like the fact that I could change the filter, I always used one of the high contrast settings.

- the option to toggle whether you can see weather effects / sky / stadium etc no longer seems to be there.

- the new options to change the zoom and height of the camera in game were something I thought would be a great addition to the game. The height setting is pleasant to use, however I think the zoom option should be renamed the 'zoom out' option, because I'm finding that the default setting for each (or most) of the camera settings is at the maximum zoom option, which to me doesn't seem to be any closer at all than in any previous game.

If I am mistaken on any of these things please let me know.

9 hours ago, Jack Deal said:

Hi, if you post this in the bugs forum we'll be able to take a closer look into why it's happening. There have been changes made between beta and now for the tactics view to improve overall usability but there may well be a problem here.

There is definitely no resolution limits on being able to create a split view/dock widgets, though, so if you're unable to please post a thread and we'll try and explain why.

As for the dock widget issue, I've managed to do that so no bug there... unfortunately now I'm not able to revert to 'standard' widget view. Clearly I'm not very good at customizing screens though I feel UI isn't particularly friendly here. Please anyone can explain me how to go back to having a 'normal' widget (my problem is I can only remove that particular widget but cannot view it and move it like other 'normal' widgets).

5 minutes ago, RossJM12 said:

- the option to toggle whether you can see weather effects / sky / stadium etc no longer seems to be there.

I actually can't believe they've not addressed that since the beta. The rain effects are horrible, and it slows down the 3D engine on my laptop, I always used to turn this setting off as it adds nothing to the game - it even stays blue skies and sunny when it's raining! I almost exclusively use 2D now because of this, which is fine as i prefer that anyway, but the 3D graphics are much improved this year. No idea why there's not settings like there was before. 

Edited by Dagenham_Dave

• SI Staff
21 minutes ago, G_D_K said:

Problem is...with the release version I can only seem to have one dock.  In Beta I had a left dock (both teams player ratings) right dock (Focus of attacks, Action zones, and opp formation), and bottom dock (my team body language, player performance, and assistant feedback).  I could open and close any of the three at will and have the information I wanted to look at while playing out my matches.  That left me screen space to have match stats and live league table up full time and still have a good view of the match.

Since release, I can only fill one of the docks.  I can't manage to get all three docks working.

Yeah, this is by design - there was a bug in the beta version which allowed you under some circumstances to create more than one dock. While it did seem to work ok for some people there was the potential for serious problems with more than one open so it was removed.

• SI Staff
8 minutes ago, kandersson said:

As for the dock widget issue, I've managed to do that so no bug there... unfortunately now I'm not able to revert to 'standard' widget view. Clearly I'm not very good at customizing screens though I feel UI isn't particularly friendly here. Please anyone can explain me how to go back to having a 'normal' widget (my problem is I can only remove that particular widget but cannot view it and move it like other 'normal' widgets).

You should be able to drag the widget out of the dock the same way you would usually drag widgets if they weren't docked, which will return it to the usual state of a moving widget rather than being stuck in there.

1 minute ago, Jack Deal said:

Yeah, this is by design - there was a bug in the beta version which allowed you under some circumstances to create more than one dock. While it did seem to work ok for some people there was the potential for serious problems with more than one open so it was removed.

That's a shame...it freed up so much screen real estate!  Not sure what the potential problems were....but you're the programmers!!!  Maybe a skinner will be able to recreate it.  Thanks

FWIW, even though there are still some frustrating UI design issues, my overall impression is that the game is in very good shape. 

I'm sure I'll find further detractions from that as time goes on, but by and large, outside of ui, most of the things I know would make the game better would frustrate most of the user base, so all in all I think this is a pretty good release. 

Good work lads, hope you get some sleep this weekend. 

2 hours ago, Svenc said:

Yeah, similar initially FM 2015 (where it was patched subsequently which is of note). From watching players, I'd though it was mainly something with stuffing the box with three forwards, which in my anal way of playing I then would have refused to using. Win buttons are cheap, no idea how anybody can have fun downloading any "super tactics" each year and pushing continue, as with such tactics the game isn't even about squad development anymore as player quality is drawn moot, so where's much game in that, but each to their own totally.  I reckon FM will only really get to the actual dynamics fully of this (where sides are punished for much less, ask Guardiola), once a few structurally overhauls in the ME are in place. Thinking of proper collision models between players in particular, and the more "physical sides" to defending being a few better represented. After all, there's two aspects of it: Not merely the counter attacking AI. But the overloading of the final third of the pitch either being too effective or not. From prior experience, this won't last long either way though. :)

Stuff like that likely isn't hugely focused / picked up on testing as the bulk of the soak tests are run with AI sides. I wouldn't dismiss anybody's feedback eventually probably coming in when he may report a match with 60 shots / 15 on target, no goals either though (which naturally is only possible with similar tactics, as it's also hugely compressing the attacking space, so depending on which most of the shots can be poor, rushed, or entirelly set piece based affairs -- no matter for how long SI tweak this, some header after a corner/IDFK will never have the same scoring probability as a tap-in after some nice attacking move from open play, or else they'd create a complete fantasy).

Off topic I guess but I'm curious - how are collisions and the physical side represented at the moment? Does anyone know?

I remember a version of FM where strikers just seemed to ghost past/through defenders so all that was needed was pace and finishing to bag goals but thats not quite the case anymore. What is being calculated when two players are in the same space though? When two are running for the ball together or a ball carrier and a defender meet? I'm just wondering what it is based on now.

4 minutes ago, Peljam said:

Off topic I guess but I'm curious - how are collisions and the physical side represented at the moment? Does anyone know?

I remember a version of FM where strikers just seemed to ghost past/through defenders so all that was needed was pace and finishing to bag goals but thats not quite the case anymore. What is being calculated when two players are in the same space though? When two are running for the ball together or a ball carrier and a defender meet? I'm just wondering what it is based on now.

Can't answer the main part of the question, but the version you're thinking of was FM12.  Incredibly easy to just put fast players in your team and smash to glory.  Also thought of by many as the best example of an ME in spite of this.

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

Can't answer the main part of the question, but the version you're thinking of was FM12.  Incredibly easy to just put fast players in your team and smash to glory.  Also thought of by many as the best example of an ME in spite of this.

I think it's because of that flaw and how easy it made it tbh.

So just prepared everything there needed to be done to start the Fm18, updated beta and now I can't even get into the game. I get crash dumps immediately after starting the game, it doesn't even reach the main game menu. Great!

Will log it in Bugs forum obviously.

40 minutes ago, Peljam said:

There's basically a part of the code that makes players "check" if there's a player in front of them prior to making a forward run. It's a collision avoidance thus, rather than an actually collision. Prior, he would just run through, which allowed those pacey players to perform that well -- they would run through and never get picked up again due to their pace advantage, and on the ball rarely required to use ony skill to go past a player. However, as there can be glitches in that, and that players as such don't "physically" block each other, there can be still be anomalities, and limitations. Common sense would dictate that would all rub off on defending a few in general, as proper shoulder charging etc. are pretty common occurances when battling for a ball/space.

The more popular tactics on FM 2011/2012 thus was it to actually keep 7 players always behind the ball, and hoof through balls to isolated attackers. It's always been argued by a select vocal few that the game wouldn't long-term reward basic common sense sports. Actually, you see such bad myth going around bigger affiliate fansites to this day, in parts then further promoted by influencial "gurus" who argue similar. But it#s that same vocal few that were burnt when FM 2013 hit them, initially, anyways. AFAIK that wasn't even SI's intent, actually, from what I remember, they hadn't even realized the extent how popular such tactics were, and were surprised by a few initial feedback themselves (broken game, etc.). Such stuff would be mopped up on any football pitch on any level easily. That can still work, but you are isolating attackers now. If that's Messi, he may dribble quite oftenly around a few defenders. If that's Crouch, go pray. I reckon in the long run, a few of that may happen to overload scenarios.

Edited by Svenc

5 minutes ago, Svenc said:

There's basically a part of the code that makes players "check" if there's a player in front of them prior to making a forward run. It's a collision avoicdance does, rather than an actually collision. Prior, he would just run through, which allowed those pacey players to perform that well -- they would run through and never get picked up again due to their pace advantage, and on the ball rarely required to use ony skill to go past a player. However, as there can be glitches in that, and that players as such don't "physically" block each other, there can be still be anomalities, and limitations. Common sense would dictate that would all rub off on defending a few in general, as proper shoulder charging etc. are pretty common occurances when battling for a ball/space.

The more popular tactics on FM 2011/2012 thus was it to actually keep 7 players always behind the ball, and hoof through balls to isolated attackers. It's always been argued by a select vocal few that the game wouldn't long-term reward basic common sense sports. Actually, you see such bad myth going around bigger affiliate fansites to this day, in parts then further promoted by influencial "gurus" who argue similar. But it#s that same vocal few that were burnt when FM 2013 hit them, initially, anyways. AFAIK that wasn't even SI's intent, actually, from what I remember, they hadn't even realized the extent how popular such tactics were, and were surprised by a few initial feedback themselves (broken game, etc.). Such stuff would be mopped up on any football pitch on any level easily. That can still work, but you are isolating attackers now. If that's Messi, he may dribble quite oftenly around a few defenders. If that's Crouch, go pray. I reckon in the long run, a few of that may happen to overload scenarios.

Don't want to spoil the discussion, but please take it to another thread as this one is specifically for direct feedback on the FM 18 game- thanks

Match Engine looking a lot better than in the beta. Counter attacks looking good both going forward and defensively and lone strikers seem to be moving better as a goal-scoring threat rather than having to play them in a deeper role. Still, two massive things not fixed that need to be. Crosses going to front post so often and goalkeepers constantly fumbling them for corners. It's so difficult to watch so often.

There needs to be some adjustments made with highlights with when they start (or at least have an option to change this). I'm seeing too much nothing highlights (especially offsides!!!!) and not enough build up play which allows me to get a good look at how  the game is going to judge whether any tactical changes are needed

Team talks are still frustrating. Fed up of seeing "Theres an awkward silence when you enter the room", "players are clearly disinterested". Considering i'm still new to the job and have won 7/9 games i expect more enthusiasm (manager of LFC and reputation ect set to highest before game started)

Eurgh - forgot about this one. Is there any way to uninstall the IGE? I downloaded it to mess about but decided against it and now would be keen to rid myself of the temptation to use it as it's still usable in my save despite uninstalling it.

Many thanks

1 minute ago, craiigman said:

How come CM’s not get links with wide players and same with ST?

Example CM plays lots of passes to RW and RW makes lots of assists to a ST.

Just seems links at the moment can only be in certain positions?

I would also like to see the ST and wide players make connections with other players not just the DL/DR with W/R/L or the STrikers with strikers or AM with strikers

45 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Can't answer the main part of the question, but the version you're thinking of was FM12...

24 minutes ago, Svenc said:

There's basically a part of the code that makes players "check" if there's a player in front of them prior to making a forward run...

18 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Don't want to spoil the discussion, but please take it to another thread as this one is specifically for direct feedback on the FM 18 game- thanks

Thanks that's my curiousity satisfied for the moment!

On general feedback in a vauge attempt to go back on topic I'm enjoying it so far. Not had a chance to do too much but it feels much more polished than the beta (which I was enjoying anyway) and I've not come across any issues. I managed to convert FM17 editor files over to FM18 and let the game holiday to 2034 last night. No crashes etc. so it seems nice and stable to me (I only had 2 crashes during the beta anyway). The long term squad bulding seems good - it's a hugely fictional league system I've tested out so it might not represent the standard gameplay but even in 2034 the squads look well rounded for the most part, attendance changes and stadium sizes seem realistic (within the confines of the fictional league). I've not noticed any long term finance issues in that league either. I'm pretty happy with it.