Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

In all my years of playing the FM series this has to be the worst one and I have never complained about anything on previous versions. The new scouting system is frustrating and the match engine has gotten even worse since the last patch.

I've never done it before but I've decided to go back to FM17 until the next one comes out.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 05/03/2018 at 17:55, warlock said:

Brilliant idea. In fact, let's take it further... Dirk Gently's Football Manager at the End of the Universe. Where the game is played on the edge of a black hole and time dilation means your 17-year-old reaches full PA the day after you sign him, and because of quantum tunneling, the ball is in the back of the net before it leaves the striker's foot, and gravitational lensing means their defenders take an infinite amount of time to get back into position. Of course, some will still complain that the ME doesn't accurately recreate Proxima Centauri United's style of gegenpressing.

That was beautiful.

Il 7/3/2018 in 18:27 , Glenn Wakeford ha scritto:

How on Earth could we make the next game if all we did was patch the previous one?! :D

Before asking money for a new game it would be a good thing to patch properly the game.

FM17 had some problems but after 17.3 was a finished game, 18.3 isn't, it still have major issues.

4 hours ago, raaatpack said:

I've brought this up a few times already and gotten no response.

Since the update my custom views on the scouting screen keep getting deleted. It's incredibly frustrating that looking at the player search and scouted player screens, it now takes twice as long to parse the information because I have to import a custom view each time rather than setting it and it just staying. This is beyond the fact that scouting takes longer this year because scout reports don't show up in your inbox for some reason, and you have to go to a whole new screen for that. And now since the update that screen is broken. So compared to fm17 it now takes about 4 times as much time/clicks to scout a player and then decide if you want to sign them.

Guys seriously, this again. Any acknowledgement of this problem would be just wonderful. It's massively affecting my FM experience.

image.thumb.png.5b9b6f3ebe2c033e9d2c9c4aef53bd49.png

So,look at that wide shot, I've never seen a shot like that in my life, the guy that gave this shot received the ball, decided to go straight, got closed down by the defenders,but had support on both of his sides, but he didn't care and make the shot anyways. This is annoying me so much.

On 7.03.2018 at 18:27, Glenn Wakeford said:

How on Earth could we make the next game if all we did was patch the previous one?! :D

Sorry, I do not want to be rude, but it looks like you didn't made any significant improvements in the game with 18.3 patch (especially in comparison to previous versions). You left ME on a level which would be just fine for beta version - not for a final product. You (SI team) keep ignoring questions from people who paid money for the game. And now this? Really? Is this the only thing you're able to write after so many complaints? Is this how you feel your customers should be treated? You know how it actually sounds? "Yeah, you may be experiencing some problems, but we have no more time for fixing anything. We prefer to start working on the next version". How can I buy FM19 after you left FM18 unfinished? :/ 

6 hours ago, raaatpack said:

Guys seriously, this again. Any acknowledgement of this problem would be just wonderful. It's massively affecting my FM experience.

If you have an issue or bug, please report it. In your case, the UI section of the bugs forum is the place. :thup:

4 hours ago, szp said:

Sorry, I do not want to be rude, but it looks like you didn't made any significant improvements in the game with 18.3 patch (especially in comparison to previous versions). You left ME on a level which would be just fine for beta version - not for a final product. You (SI team) keep ignoring questions from people who paid money for the game. And now this? Really? Is this the only thing you're able to write after so many complaints? Is this how you feel your customers should be treated? You know how it actually sounds? "Yeah, you may be experiencing some problems, but we have no more time for fixing anything. We prefer to start working on the next version". How can I buy FM19 after you left FM18 unfinished? :/ 

The ME will never be "finished". I'm sure you have seen the SI responses that they're happy with it right now in terms of the stats that are generated. Obviously, as I said, it'll never be finished. There will always be something to add, do different, tweak etc.

8 hours ago, masno said:

image.thumb.png.5b9b6f3ebe2c033e9d2c9c4aef53bd49.png

So,look at that wide shot, I've never seen a shot like that in my life, the guy that gave this shot received the ball, decided to go straight, got closed down by the defenders,but had support on both of his sides, but he didn't care and make the shot anyways. This is annoying me so much.

You should have watched Milan v Arsenal last night. I'd argue that one shot there, by a Milan player, was worse than that :D

https://youtu.be/Luxm9NvpHmo?t=4m53s

Shot maps don't tell all in isolation. It's how the shot comes about. As of FM, for instance, players on occasion not turning goalside, but just firing it off sraight in the direction they face. It's tough arguing though how often something happens in football (I couldn't tell myself) when all you typically see is a bunch of highlights where all the stuff is cut. Unless you have a scarily amount of time available, twenty pairs of eyes and a multi-screen setup that lets you watch all matches of a match day in a league simultaneously. (For the record, quite a few of those shots marked by me if you would watch the highlights are difficult headers after difficult crosses, where the lads simply didn't manage to get the ball on target and hit the ball proper. But apparently, getting any of such on target is as easy doing as scoring according to the men on television too). :D "I don't like what I see" is fine in my book though. :)

Edited by Svenc

8 minutes ago, penza said:

happens sometimes but in fm18 happens way too often and now we are stuck with this still fm19

Allow me to point to a post I made in another thread:

If you look at the same with your shot and find that this does NOT, in fact, happen for you, then that would be an excellent bug to report! This way we make sure the next FM have one bug less. :thup:

3 hours ago, XaW said:

Allow me to point to a post I made in another thread:

If you look at the same with your shot and find that this does NOT, in fact, happen for you, then that would be an excellent bug to report! This way we make sure the next FM have one bug less. :thup:

It's been reported over and over again.

The answer was they are happy with the stats generated :) . Apparently you can measure how realistic and performing the match engine is by comparing the produced stat against the averages around the world....smh

31 minutes ago, Lexis said:

It's been reported over and over again.

The answer was they are happy with the stats generated :) . Apparently you can measure how realistic and performing the match engine is by comparing the produced stat against the averages around the world....smh

Not really. I've looked over the threads and not found any detailed report where a user have suggested that there should be a different outcome. Most reports I've seen is a single line of "Omgz, teh shots are hitting the corner flag, omg, smh, <insert random internet abbreviation to exclaim frustration>", and maybe if we are lucky a .PKM of the incident without any context.

I've looked after a lot of my shots and I can clearly see why it has happened in every case (as exampled by the post in the other thread). If I had found an instance where it was clear the player should have passed or made another decision (based on the decision attribute of the player being high enough of course), then I would have reported it myself. But since I haven't seen any situations where this happens I can say I haven't experience any issues with long shots in the game.

Since it's been reported "over and over again" it should be a simple matter of producing an example of what I'm talking about, no? Why haven't anyone done it if it happens so often?

The fact of the matter is that most bad long shots are due to the poor tactical instructions the user have given the team. The gameplay issue here is that FM is not giving the user enough information to understand this, and that is something I think should be implemented in future versions. However, I can see the difficulty of implementing this without giving the user too much information and make the game too easy.

12 minutes ago, XaW said:

Not really. I've looked over the threads and not found any detailed report where a user have suggested that there should be a different outcome. Most reports I've seen is a single line of "Omgz, teh shots are hitting the corner flag, omg, smh, <insert random internet abbreviation to exclaim frustration>", and maybe if we are lucky a .PKM of the incident without any context.

I've looked after a lot of my shots and I can clearly see why it has happened in every case (as exampled by the post in the other thread). If I had found an instance where it was clear the player should have passed or made another decision (based on the decision attribute of the player being high enough of course), then I would have reported it myself. But since I haven't seen any situations where this happens I can say I haven't experience any issues with long shots in the game.

Since it's been reported "over and over again" it should be a simple matter of producing an example of what I'm talking about, no? Why haven't anyone done it if it happens so often?

The fact of the matter is that most bad long shots are due to the poor tactical instructions the user have given the team. The gameplay issue here is that FM is not giving the user enough information to understand this, and that is something I think should be implemented in future versions. However, I can see the difficulty of implementing this without giving the user too much information and make the game too easy.

The fact of the matter is that most bad long shots are due to the poor tactical instructions the user have given the team???????????

since when a player shoots badly based on a tactical instruction?? if anything it should only be based on their skill... no? thus why when i created a player with 20' stat everywhere as a test... he still shot 'crazy shots' and scored 1-2 free kicks per year i mean something is clearly wrong here

Edited by penza

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, penza said:

since when a player shoots badly based on a tactical instruction?? if anything it should only be based on their skill... no?

It is both. Players are not robots.

2 minutes ago, penza said:

since when a player shoots badly based on a tactical instruction??

Since forever.  Perhaps you have too much tempo so your players don't get a chance to compose themselves before shooting.  Perhaps you have set a high risk mentality such as Attacking which in turn also affects their individual mentalities so they become very attack minded over and above their role/duty settings.  Perhaps you have altered Team Shape which will also affect your player's view on how to go about their business.

Is that the only cause of bad shots?  No, but it can a massive difference.

7 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Since forever.  Perhaps you have too much tempo so your players don't get a chance to compose themselves before shooting.  Perhaps you have set a high risk mentality such as Attacking which in turn also affects their individual mentalities so they become very attack minded over and above their role/duty settings.  Perhaps you have altered Team Shape which will also affect your player's view on how to go about their business.

Is that the only cause of bad shots?  No, but it can a massive difference.

but thats not realistic at all.... as in real life football whatever you ask a player, its all about the player (morale, skill, hidden attribute i.e. how he handles pressure etc) as i said this fm you cannot score from free kicks (regardless of instructions) i created a perfect cheat player and he couldnt score long range goals nor could he score free kicks...there is something fundamentally wrong in previous fm's you would never see these shots

10 minutes ago, penza said:

but thats not realistic at all.... as in real life football whatever you ask a player, its all about the player (morale, skill, hidden attribute i.e. how he handles pressure etc) 

How often have you seen good players stymied by bad systems?  It's nowhere near as simple as you make out.

as i said this fm you cannot score from free kicks (regardless of instructions)

Yes you can

i created a perfect cheat player and he couldnt score long range goals nor could he score free kicks

Put in unrealistic input, don't be surprised if you get unrealistic output.

Just now, forameuss said:

How often have you seen good players stymied by bad systems?  It's nowhere near as simple as you make out.

Yes you can

Put in unrealistic input, don't be surprised if you get unrealistic output.

yeah sorry i don't agree...but it is what it is, not having fun anymore its become way too frustrating and too much time consuming! thank you all for your input

31 minutes ago, penza said:

The fact of the matter is that most bad long shots are due to the poor tactical instructions the user have given the team???????????

since when a player shoots badly based on a tactical instruction?? if anything it should only be based on their skill... no? thus why when i created a player with 20' stat everywhere as a test... he still shot 'crazy shots' and scored 1-2 free kicks per year i mean something is clearly wrong here

Not a single player in the world will be able to score a long shot if he is surrounded by a lot of players with a bad angle. Your tactical instructions makes it possible to score long shots. I'm playing with crappy players and I only have a reasonable amount of long shots and quite a number of them are goals. This is because my tactical instructions are making it possible to set up players in good positions, either far out or close to goal. This in turn leads to goals and not horrible long shots.

If you have created the best player in the world and don't set him up in good positions he won't score. The issue here is not the ME, but YOU. Your faulty instructions are making the player play worse than his stats should make him. If he scored 1-2 freekick goals per year, how many freekicks from reasonable positions do you have? If the total number of reasonable freekick isn't particularly big, then that amount might be reasonable. You have exactly zero basis of stating "something is clearly wrong here" when you provide no real evidence or anything other than exclamation marks and question marks. I really doub you even read the post I referred to in my last post, so please read it and provide examples as I have stated and present them in a propper matter and I can guarantee you SI will take a look and give you an explanation no matter what they find.

19 minutes ago, XaW said:

Not a single player in the world will be able to score a long shot if he is surrounded by a lot of players with a bad angle. Your tactical instructions makes it possible to score long shots. I'm playing with crappy players and I only have a reasonable amount of long shots and quite a number of them are goals. This is because my tactical instructions are making it possible to set up players in good positions, either far out or close to goal. This in turn leads to goals and not horrible long shots.

If you have created the best player in the world and don't set him up in good positions he won't score. The issue here is not the ME, but YOU. Your faulty instructions are making the player play worse than his stats should make him. If he scored 1-2 freekick goals per year, how many freekicks from reasonable positions do you have? If the total number of reasonable freekick isn't particularly big, then that amount might be reasonable. You have exactly zero basis of stating "something is clearly wrong here" when you provide no real evidence or anything other than exclamation marks and question marks. I really doub you even read the post I referred to in my last post, so please read it and provide examples as I have stated and present them in a propper matter and I can guarantee you SI will take a look and give you an explanation no matter what they find.

ot a single player in the world will be able to score a long shot if he is surrounded by a lot of players with a bad angle - agreed but that;s the thing, I have seen even one-on-ones where the player shoots to the corner flag... no bad angle, not surrounded by a any players... by the way i did the same test in fm16-17 and the player scored 10-15 long shots and 10-15 free kicks... nothing to do with instructions as I played this game since fm05 ... there have been countless examples people posted videos of messi dribbling 3 players and shooting in the corner flag... how is that real? coutinho the same, FYI - there are plenty more examples

Edited by penza

56 minutes ago, penza said:

but thats not realistic at all.... as in real life football whatever you ask a player, its all about the player (morale, skill, hidden attribute i.e. how he handles pressure etc) as i said this fm you cannot score from free kicks (regardless of instructions) i created a perfect cheat player and he couldnt score long range goals nor could he score free kicks...there is something fundamentally wrong in previous fm's you would never see these shots

And FM is also about the player (as well as tactical instructions).

You stated above "since when a player shoots badly based on a tactical instruction" which I answered.  But your players will have an impact on how well they are able to carry out your instructions.  Pick a high risk strategy with lots of tempo and how well do your think your striker will cope if he has low Composure?  So there are two things at work here - you tell your players to do things; they then try to carry them out.  It's no good telling your players to play like Barcelona if they're not capable of playing like Barcelona.

Like I said above, is this the only answer to poor long shots?  No - some wild ones seem to happen a bit too frequently - but we're not talking about that.  We're talking about you stating that tactical instructions don't have an impact when they absolutely do, especially if your players can't cope with them.  Head over to the Tactics forum, post your set up and someone there will probably give you some specific pointers.

3 minutes ago, herne79 said:

And FM is also about the player (as well as tactical instructions).

You stated above "since when a player shoots badly based on a tactical instruction" which I answered.  But your players will have an impact on how well they are able to carry out your instructions.  Pick a high risk strategy with lots of tempo and how well do your think your striker will cope if he has low Composure?  So there are two things at work here - you tell your players to do things; they then try to carry them out.  It's no good telling your players to play like Barcelona if they're not capable of playing like Barcelona.

Like I said above, is this the only answer to poor long shots?  No - some wild ones seem to happen a bit too frequently - but we're not talking about that.  We're talking about you stating that tactical instructions don't have an impact when they absolutely do, especially if your players can't cope with them.  Head over to the Tactics forum, post your set up and someone there will probably give you some specific pointers.

And when you put your Barcelona team to play like Barcelona, and your best players still firing 90º shots.

It was so annoying and bizarre when I saw Messi hit the corner flag for the first time, and I know that if I start the save again,he will still shot like this.

9 minutes ago, masno said:

And when you put your Barcelona team to play like Barcelona, and your best players still firing 90º shots.

It was so annoying and bizarre when I saw Messi hit the corner flag for the first time, and I know that if I start the save again,he will still shot like this.

exactly as I said I have seen Messi, Coutinho just to mention 2 players where maybe it could happen once a season.. it happens very often and by the way i tested 10-15 tactics from multiple forums (french, italian, german, this one) i over-achieved .. its just I see the same reoccurring problem since BETA, thus why i went back to FM17 :) 

1 hour ago, XaW said:

how many freekicks from reasonable positions do you have? If the total number of reasonable freekick isn't particularly big, then that amount might be reasonable - the answer to this is at least 1 or 2 per game i.e. centrally with a player that has 20 in every single stat, hidden stat etc.) misses time and time again how is that my instructions? this is an extreme test to prove there is something wrong thats it....

Edited by penza

Another part of the problem is that players see this purely from the attacking end. Similar to football, similar to Fifa (where every second guy you face picks Barca, Real, snooze), players like the thrills of fluid attacking football. What about the other end of the pitch? I'm not very prone to raging about a game. But that release that had made it significantly harder to park the bus and force the opposition to poor shots (so that they were less likely to score) made me a little frustrated, as I've always enjoyed doing such.

Due to that natural attacking bias, this only seems to be argued one way -- and the game can be flawed on both of these ends, mind.

Edited by Svenc

This is easily the worst "final" patch I've ever seen in a Football Manager game.  Nothing got fixed.

The problem is it's easily the worst match engine I've ever experienced in an FM game, and it really needed fixing.  The game is making me genuinely depressed.  I mean it does make you feel like a total loser when you can't get the likes of Kane and Suarez to score goals.  My current (and probably last ever) game has Suarez with 0 goals in 7 appearances and I'm already sick to death of that save.  Just awful.  I really have no fun with this game any more.  Why do you make it so so difficult?!

13 minutes ago, MatchWinner said:

This is easily the worst "final" patch I've ever seen in a Football Manager game.  Nothing got fixed.

The problem is it's easily the worst match engine I've ever experienced in an FM game, and it really needed fixing.  The game is making me genuinely depressed.  I mean it does make you feel like a total loser when you can't get the likes of Kane and Suarez to score goals.  My current (and probably last ever) game has Suarez with 0 goals in 7 appearances and I'm already sick to death of that save.  Just awful.  I really have no fun with this game any more.  Why do you make it so so difficult?!

Read the patch notes. I'd say a bit more than "nothing" got fixed.

Is it the Match Engine's fault that Harry Kane and Luis Suárez can't score... or could it actually be your fault for setting your players up in a tactical system that doesn't suit them? It might be worth posting up your formation and instructions in the tactics sub-forum, so that you can get some advice from other users.

Also, don't forget that even the best forwards in the world can have barren spells. It happens.

35 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Also, don't forget that even the best forwards in the world can have barren spells. It happens.

That's the wrong one, CFuller. This term he had a spell of scoring 3 goals plus a penalty in between September and January -- from 100+ attempts. Somebody had uploaded a video, showing it all in chronological order, but curioiusly, the account is suspended. And that the game doesn't replicate in a billion reloads, likely not even if you sit him up top alone and let the other guys on defend duty sitting back hoof the ball to his every minute of the seaon. Not that the game should aim to do this:  the **** that with some consistency happens in football is impossible to bearably "recreate" with numbers and code -- Crystal Palace, Cologne, Benevento, Burnley, Dortmund and Arsenal fans may also have developed a special gut feeling for those football specials this term.

As a rough guideline on that purely statistical/numbers end. I found that unless you get a forward to have at least 3.x shots per match (displayed in his profile), he will not score regularly. In real football, most forwards have about 2-3 attempts per match (Ronaldo 7, Messi 5), but convert only every 4-6th attempt. Which is natural, as scoring is harder than defending/keeping the goal, and even the best chances where the guy on television yells "he's got to score" are mostly  50/50s at best. That explains a few of those scoring streaks -- and in some cases the good old cliche of "bad/good form". On that front, Kane for Tottenham this term has 6 shots average per match for a goal average per match. If you go on dry spells with such volumes --> there is definitely a solution to this. And it is luckily usually a quick one. :) Perhaps as it is a game based on numbers and code, rather than football..

Edited by Svenc

• Administrators

We've just released a quick hotfix to address some stability issues we've been made aware of since the release of January Transfer Update. Details below:

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

We've just released a quick hotfix to address some stability issues we've been made aware of since the release of January Transfer Update. Details below:

Thanks. 

Is it save game compatible with 18.3.0? or will I need a new game for the changes to take affect.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, xtradj said:

Is it save game compatible with 18.3.0? or will I need a new game for the changes to take affect.

Thanks

A little friendly suggestion; If you click and read the very thing you quoted you'll find out ;)

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Thanks. 

Hello Neil and SI,

Thanks for the update, but after 18.3, South American Leagues (at least Brazil and Libertadores) are facing some problems with Home/Away wrong stadiums assign.
We raise this on bugs already, but if you can look ASAP, as we think this make the game unplayable at least for these leagues.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Svenc said:

Another part of the problem is that players see this purely from the attacking end. Similar to football, similar to Fifa (where every second guy you face picks Barca, Real, snooze), players like the thrills of fluid attacking football. What about the other end of the pitch? I'm not very prone to raging about a game. But that release that had made it significantly harder to park the bus and force the opposition to poor shots (so that they were less likely to score) made me a little frustrated, as I've always enjoyed doing such.

Due to that natural attacking bias, this only seems to be argued one way -- and the game can be flawed on both of these ends, mind.

If defending we already have issues, it is hard to not look to the other side and don't see problems too.

There's obviously issues with defending too. That's why they should not interpet the performance of the match engine based on stats. Because a faulty defence system along with a faulty offense system could potentially lead to similar stats, while still being broken.

There's a thread in the bugs forum about long shots. Please look it up. You have clear examples over there, including Youtube and .pkms, where you can see the issue at hand. You will see world class players, with no pressure, shooting to the corner flag. Please just look up the topic and see the videos.

Again, there is no doubt that the defense system should get improvements and it isn't yet what it should be.

There is an endless dance of posts which question the quantity / quality of shots from distance. It always ends up in a 'It's the ME v It's your tactics' mud slinging contest. Shots from distance are simply dreadful on this year's release.

I'd like to focus on AI teams rather than my own. In my long running Wolves save I looked forward to the big away games in the first few seasons of the Premier League. It was a chance to test my direct counter tactics. After a about half a dozen of these big matches, my enjoyment of the ME and match day in general just faded away. When players like Hazard, Kane and De Bruyne are all slicing and scuffing the vast majority of their shots (with way too many closer to the corner flag than the goal), it kills the tension and anxiety I am supposed to feel when holding on to a 0-0 or 1-0 lead. I just don't feel any fear when an opposition player goes for goal from outside the area. I certainly did on FM17.

I play this game to experience the range of emotions football can stir up. FM18 just doesn't trigger such emotions like previous releases. For me, winning feels cheap somehow this year. 

Edited by rdbayly

I usually worry primarily about the ME, but with FM2018 AKA Crash-Alot 2018, I really just want a stable game. FM2018 crashes CONSTANTLY (on all my computers). I can't recall another FM version being this bad.  Even after 3(!) major patches the game is still crashing. I cant play a week ingame without crashing. That is just unacceptable.

1 hour ago, paganizer said:

I usually worry primarily about the ME, but with FM2018 AKA Crash-Alot 2018, I really just want a stable game. FM2018 crashes CONSTANTLY (on all my computers). I can't recall another FM version being this bad.  Even after 3(!) major patches the game is still crashing. I cant play a week ingame without crashing. That is just unacceptable.

I have played over 2,000 hours and the game has crashed once. Get a new PC

5 hours ago, Preveza said:

I have played over 2,000 hours and the game has crashed once. Get a new PC

I have had endless crashes on a both a brand new PC and gaming laptop. You will find countless threads in the bugs forum to evidence this. Certain hardware configurations are randomly causing crashes. If you've got lucky with your set up then well done, but a lot of users are having issues with this year's game.

8 hours ago, rdbayly said:

There is an endless dance of posts which question the quantity / quality of shots from distance. It always ends up in a 'It's the ME v It's your tactics' mud slinging contest. Shots from distance are simply dreadful on this year's release.

I'd like to focus on AI teams rather than my own. In my long running Wolves save I looked forward to the big away games in the first few seasons of the Premier League. It was a chance to test my direct counter tactics. After a about half a dozen of these big matches, my enjoyment of the ME and match day in general just faded away. When players like Hazard, Kane and De Bruyne are all slicing and scuffing the vast majority of their shots (with way too many closer to the corner flag than the goal), it kills the tension and anxiety I am supposed to feel when holding on to a 0-0 or 1-0 lead. I just don't feel any fear when an opposition player goes for goal from outside the area. I certainly did on FM17.

I play this game to experience the range of emotions football can stir up. FM18 just doesn't trigger such emotions like previous releases. For me, winning feels cheap somehow this year. 

SI actually answered and gave their views. So it's substantially more than mudslinging. 

I keep see people say there are WAY too many shots, but I've seen very few with actual number, nor with an actual comparison real life numbers. So far the only people to use stats to go with their qualitative playthroughs have been the devs. and yet it feels like their answers and reasoning has been dismissed. 

Not aimed at you, but I do wonder what's the point in people asking SI to comment if they aren't really interested in hearing what they have to say 

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

SI actually answered and gave their views. So it's substantially more than mudslinging. 

I keep see people say there are WAY too many shots, but I've seen very few with actual number, nor with an actual comparison real life numbers. So far the only people to use stats to go with their qualitative playthroughs have been the devs. and yet it feels like their answers and reasoning has been dismissed. 

Not aimed at you, but I do wonder what's the point in people asking SI to comment if they aren't really interested in hearing what they have to say 

I don't know why you've brought SI in to this when I'm talking about the mud slinging between users. I also don't think you actually read my post because I do not refer to the number of shots being too high; it is their quality and accuracy - particularly from world class players that detracts from the enjoyment of the ME.

18 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

I have had endless crashes on a both a brand new PC and gaming laptop. You will find countless threads in the bugs forum to evidence this. Certain hardware configurations are randomly causing crashes. If you've got lucky with your set up then well done, but a lot of users are having issues with this year's game.

Yeah, thats true. I probably am having a good run. Haven't really changed anything tbh.

10 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

I don't know why you've brought SI in to this when I'm talking about the mud slinging between users. I also don't think you actually read my post because I do not refer to the number of shots being too high; it is their quality and accuracy - particularly from world class players that detracts from the enjoyment of the ME.

You didn't mention mudslinging between players, just mudslinging. 

I did read your post, you mentioned quantity in your opening lines. People are literally referring to there being too many shots, and also quality and accuracy of them. But the point remains the same: the only people who have used any stats along with their playthroughs are SI . No one said it's perfect mind. 

17 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

7 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

You didn't mention mudslinging between players, just mudslinging. 

I did read your post, you mentioned quantity in your opening lines. People are literally referring to there being too many shots, and also quality and accuracy of them. But the point remains the same: the only people who have used any stats along with their playthroughs are SI . No one said it's perfect mind. 

"Quality and accuracy" of long shots?  Check out the tactical challenge for the Poacher in the Tactics forum at the moment :thup:.

Have a flick through that thread and in particular have a look at the posted result of Dortmund vs Bayern and the shots analysis.  My defence kept Bayern restricted to long shots, but my attacks however were a little different...  So, when you mention "quality and accuracy", it is perfectly possible to sort that out through tactical methods.   It's just not always obvious how to do so.  Or are you saying you don't want to reduce the number of long shots, just improve their quality?  If that's the case, I'd suggest that's a bit of a misnomer as long shots by their very definition are not quality chances.

To be clear, I'm not discussing the corner flag shot issue above.  imo there does seem to be too many of these around, although I can go for many games without seeing any at all (and very rarely for my own team).  So at least part of that issue will be tactical / player attribute related.  It just looks odd when it happens so perhaps a tweak to the ME to have the shot go wide by several yards rather than hit the corner flag might be better, although I still wouldn't want to see these "shots" completely eradicated as they do occasionally happen irl.

15 minutes ago, herne79 said:

"Quality and accuracy" of long shots?  Check out the tactical challenge for the Poacher in the Tactics forum at the moment :thup:.

Have a flick through that thread and in particular have a look at the posted result of Dortmund vs Bayern and the shots analysis.  My defence kept Bayern restricted to long shots, but my attacks however were a little different...  So, when you mention "quality and accuracy", it is perfectly possible to sort that out through tactical methods.   It's just not always obvious how to do so.  Or are you saying you don't want to reduce the number of long shots, just improve their quality?  If that's the case, I'd suggest that's a bit of a misnomer as long shots by their very definition are not quality chances.

To be clear, I'm not discussing the corner flag shot issue above.  imo there does seem to be too many of these around, although I can go for many games without seeing any at all (and very rarely for my own team).  So at least part of that issue will be tactical / player attribute related.  It just looks odd when it happens so perhaps a tweak to the ME to have the shot go wide by several yards rather than hit the corner flag might be better, although I still wouldn't want to see these "shots" completely eradicated as they do occasionally happen irl.

Perhaps that's the crux here, physics needing a tweak? Because long shots should definitely still be missing.

You've just reminded me I owe the tactical forum a lopsided 4-2-3-1, got to get cracking on that :ackter:

5 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Perhaps that's the crux here, physics needing a tweak? Because long shots should definitely still be missing.

You've just reminded me I owe the tactical forum a lopsided 4-2-3-1, got to get cracking on that :ackter:

Agree - I've been enjoying an old FM17 save this past week. Many shots from distance, whilst not resulting in goals, whistle past the post or just over the bar. I can accept this and at least near misses are exciting.