Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/01/2018 at 13:43, Edinton said:

Ok, after playing for a couple of months here's my two cents:

- Narrow 433... same issues experienced here. Feels like if the AI is struggling it just flips to narrow 433 and then the bombardment starts and the only way I've found to combat it is a 541 which isn't ideal if the opposition starts with the 433. 

Just to follow up on my earlier post - I'm playing in the National League South and there's a team massively over-achieving because of their narrow 4-3-3. I'm running a couple of tests where I've played the match a few times now to see if it's possible to get a result and i've been smashed each time regardless of what system I try. It doesn't seem possible to exploit the gap behind their wing-backs, yet their three strikers always find space between my back four, no matter what system I use.

If that system is so powerful then why isn't every team using it!?

I know this has been a complaint for many years of FM, but I don't understand GK ratings.  My keeper makes 9 saves, half of which are difficult-looking diving fingertip saves, and his rating is 6.9.  Considering we won 2-1 and could easily have lost 4-2 with a poorer keeper, this hardly seems like an appropriate rating.

1 hour ago, jujigatame said:

I know this has been a complaint for many years of FM, but I don't understand GK ratings.  My keeper makes 9 saves, half of which are difficult-looking diving fingertip saves, and his rating is 6.9.  Considering we won 2-1 and could easily have lost 4-2 with a poorer keeper, this hardly seems like an appropriate rating.

The GK rating doesn't really tell a whole lot right now. I have my keeper instructed to roll it out to the CB's . So he has an almost perfect pass completion rate. For that reason he is on Team of the week every single week even though he has terrible "goalkeeping-games". I think he missed team of the week 3 times in 3 years.

Guest El Payaso
13 hours ago, Edinton said:

Just to follow up on my earlier post - I'm playing in the National League South and there's a team massively over-achieving because of their narrow 4-3-3. I'm running a couple of tests where I've played the match a few times now to see if it's possible to get a result and i've been smashed each time regardless of what system I try. It doesn't seem possible to exploit the gap behind their wing-backs, yet their three strikers always find space between my back four, no matter what system I use.

If that system is so powerful then why isn't every team using it!?

You could post examples or even a save game with details here. Hopefully it would wake up the SI team to investigate (if they haven't already done it) this issue if someone else also posts examples. 

Ps. who is the Football Manager Twitter-account administrator(?) who keeps sharing exploits to the game? Is this really the way that SI want to market this 'realistic football simulation'? 

Kuvahaun tulos haulle time to lighten up gif

Playing in the Welsh league, I'm not seeing any goalkeeping errors. My keeper has one goalkeeping attribute over 10 and that is eccentricity yet he will never drop the ball during a cross, mis-kick a back pass or fumble during a long shot. This may have been deliberate from SI to stop all of the incoming "OMGZ! MY GK JUST DROPPED THE BALL INTO HIS OWN NET! I HATE THIS GAME" nonsense that would inevitably flood the boards.

I don't know about anyone else but I see goalkeeping errors like what I've mentioned every week across the leagues including from top goalkeepers. This needs to be mirrored better in the game.

hace 5 horas, penza dijo:

i guess we will have to wait march for any ME changes :(  will install fm17 + transfers i guess. 

Yes you better wait. And when the ME changes comes doesn't expect a miracle/too much. I talk by experience.

Some of the passing on this game really is horrendous. I'm talking about Premier League players messing up easy passes. The amount of times I've witnessed my West Ham players play a 5 yard pass in the air only for the defender to come in and take it from them.

Why do so many passes come off the floor?! It's so unrealistic.

I've also seen so many times my defenders trying to make a pass out to the winger, who has a defender near him but not marking him tightly, and they basically pass it straight to the opposition defender. I completely understand that players will mess up passes but SI have got it all wrong, players are misplacing balls that elite Premier League players very rarely do in real life. 

It's ruining the game because if, like me, you enjoy watching your team play and enjoy watching the match highlights it's completely ruining the experience and frustrating the hell out of me because my team are making silly, basic errors that real players do not make.

Edited by TheInvisibleMan

I have a weird thing going on with Dele Alli. He refused to sign a new contract and wanted a transfer. I couldn't do anything so I promised to sell him even though I don't want to sell him. After a week he said that he wants a new contract. I offered and he signed and I thought taht was it. But after I saw he still has "unh" icon..I checked and it says I promised him he will be sold. So now I'm in January and if I don't sell him the whole team will be unhappy and morale will plummet to "okay" as best. I know because I already have the same situation in my other save. Is there any way to do something so my teams morale don't fall off. I don't want to sell him for less than 150 million and no team can afford him right now. He has 5 years on his contract and I don't want to sell him cheap..On the other hand I can't afford to have my whole squad unhappy..

My friend is playing as ManCity and wants to buy him but has only 90mil budget right now..Does bonuses come out of budget immidiately..For example,he pays me 90mil in cash plus another 90 after Alli plays 20 games?

3 hours ago, luka_ said:

I have a weird thing going on with Dele Alli. He refused to sign a new contract and wanted a transfer. I couldn't do anything so I promised to sell him even though I don't want to sell him. After a week he said that he wants a new contract. I offered and he signed and I thought taht was it. But after I saw he still has "unh" icon..I checked and it says I promised him he will be sold. So now I'm in January and if I don't sell him the whole team will be unhappy and morale will plummet to "okay" as best. I know because I already have the same situation in my other save. Is there any way to do something so my teams morale don't fall off. I don't want to sell him for less than 150 million and no team can afford him right now. He has 5 years on his contract and I don't want to sell him cheap..On the other hand I can't afford to have my whole squad unhappy..

My friend is playing as ManCity and wants to buy him but has only 90mil budget right now..Does bonuses come out of budget immidiately..For example,he pays me 90mil in cash plus another 90 after Alli plays 20 games?

Loan him out for half a season and see if he comes back with a better attitude.

On 15/01/2018 at 22:52, El Payaso said:

You could post examples or even a save game with details here. Hopefully it would wake up the SI team to investigate (if they haven't already done it) this issue if someone else also posts examples. 

Ps. who is the Football Manager Twitter-account administrator(?) who keeps sharing exploits to the game? Is this really the way that SI want to market this 'realistic football simulation'? 

Kuvahaun tulos haulle time to lighten up gif

Ironically I set my team out in a specific type of 4-4-2 in the next game and ground out a comfortable 1-1 draw and felt like I'd figured out how to counter its threats, but it does feel like an option that wouldn't be used IRL because of the obvious lack of width etc

Put about 40hours into FM18 now and it's easily my least favorite edition.

The new features add nothing. The squad dynamics are barely noticeable and the scouting change just makes finding players more of a chore.

The UI has took a huge step back, most noticeably on the scouting/transfer pages where a list of 10 players can barely fit on a full screen. The match UI is also terrible, where are the options to change the view to see a mix of stats/match/results etc.? Navigating through menus just to find the analysis page is a puts me off even wanting to bother with it. Just lots of small wastes of time all add up to making the whole process an annoyance. Why do team talks now take 3/4 clicks to get through? Also the settings i applied in the overall preferences for the match view (Camera, Replays etc.) seem to be ignored every time i start a new game.

How many years do we have to put up with the same inane set of questions in press conferences and journalists asking the same 1 over and over when you try to ignore it.

The amount of missed chances are incredibly annoying. After 35 games into a season I'm averaging 3.49CCC 4.06HCC 3.06Goals P/G. Compared to me conceding 0.77CCC 1.29HCC 0.83Goals. Now the difference in goals per chance is clear between for/against but on top of that i have one of the better GK's in the division and my Strikers attributes, when compared to the league average, are top 5 in every key stats with regards to scoring/shooting.

There also seems to be rubber-banding with regards to the main league challengers. No matter how well your team can be doing, even record breakingly good, the teams chasing you will always stay right on your coattails up to the last 5-6 games of the season. The same applies to goals scored by teams and players.

For example my ST is the top scorer in L2 at the minute with 25Goals in after 35Games. There are 9 other players in the league with 20+goals. Now when looking at the L1 top scorer, he is on 15Goals at the same stage with no-one else managing over 12. The Championship is also similar with the top scorer on 19 and the next best on 14. Yet once I'm promoted the top scores in my new league will have plenty of high scorers and the league i came from will have a massive drop-off.

Then on the goals per team basis, the top scoring teams in L1 have around 65-70 goals for the season before yet once I'm in league 1, 8-10 teams will all score over this total. When i was in L2, 12 teams all scored more goals than the top scoring team in L1 in the same season!

It feels like i could go on and on but this is already long enough. Overall it's very disappointing and if anyone was on the fence about getting FM18 i'd just stick to an older version and find a data update.

4 hours ago, liamc92 said:

For example my ST is the top scorer in L2 at the minute with 25Goals in after 35Games. There are 9 other players in the league with 20+goals. Now when looking at the L1 top scorer, he is on 15Goals at the same stage with no-one else managing over 12. The Championship is also similar with the top scorer on 19 and the next best on 14. Yet once I'm promoted the top scores in my new league will have plenty of high scorers and the league i came from will have a massive drop-off.

Then on the goals per team basis, the top scoring teams in L1 have around 65-70 goals for the season before yet once I'm in league 1, 8-10 teams will all score over this total. When i was in L2, 12 teams all scored more goals than the top scoring team in L1 in the same season!

That is probably due to difference between quick sim which decides things in leagues that you are not playing in (unless you put them to full detail) and which produces much more conservative results, and a full sim that uses this match engine where strikers easily overperform quite significantly.

14 hours ago, liamc92 said:

There also seems to be rubber-banding with regards to the main league challengers.

More utter nonsense. It's not Forza you're playing here. There never has been any 'rubber banding' in any edition of FM, it wouldn't make an ounce of sense for this to even be a thing. 

13 hours ago, LatZee said:

That is probably due to difference between quick sim which decides things in leagues that you are not playing in (unless you put them to full detail) and which produces much more conservative results, and a full sim that uses this match engine where strikers easily overperform quite significantly.

A very fair explanation that i didn't think about.

4 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

More utter nonsense. It's not Forza you're playing here. There never has been any 'rubber banding' in any edition of FM, it wouldn't make an ounce of sense for this to even be a thing. 

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

For the record, there's no rubberbanding in the game.

Perhaps not rubber banding then but pretty much every season i do, no matter whether I'm going for the title/play-offs/europe/avoid relegation, the 1 or 2 direct challengers I'm against will seem to match me step-for-step months on end, then come the last 5-10 games they will collapse and fall miles away. The latest example being the team in 2nd going 11W 2D 0L but then on the way to ending the season with 2W 4D 6L and getting caught by teams they were 10-15pts clear of. Obviously dramatic collapses can happen IRL but every season this seems to occur in the league im in.

4 hours ago, jamessmith010101 said:

isnt rubberbanding more to do with lag and bad servers ? how would that make a difference to the game ?

I meant it in the sense that games will only let people do so well before trying to bring the pack closer together. Like the poster above mentioned, racing games are a good example.

5 minutes ago, liamc92 said:

I meant it in the sense that games will only let people do so well before trying to bring the pack closer together. Like the poster above mentioned, racing games are a good example.

And as said, this isn't in the game.

39 minutes ago, liamc92 said:

then come the last 5-10 games they will collapse and fall miles away

This may be because the AI is utterly hopeless at squad rotation and managing the fitness of key players. I constantly come up against teams filled with tired players on 80% condition before kick-off. There are always decent squad players on the bench at 100% that are never brought on. The AI also tends not to sub off high reputation players who suffer minor injuries during a match, even if it's a knee / groin / hamstring problem.

You tend to have the edge on the AI at the end of a long season, especially if your opponents are fighting on multiple fronts (latter stages of cups etc)

38 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

And as said, this isn't in the game.

Yes i acknowledged this in my previous post, I was explaining to the other post of what the term meant in this instance.

7 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

This may be because the AI is utterly hopeless at squad rotation and managing the fitness of key players. I constantly come up against teams filled with tired players on 80% condition before kick-off. There are always decent squad players on the bench at 100% that are never brought on. The AI also tends not to sub off high reputation players who suffer minor injuries during a match, even if it's a knee / groin / hamstring problem.

You tend to have the edge on the AI at the end of a long season, especially if your opponents are fighting on multiple fronts (latter stages of cups etc)

Good points, especially on starting players on minor injuries, that seems to happen pretty regularly.

On the subject of AI team selection, the Premier League U23 teams competing in the Checkatrade trophy always seem to take the competition far more seriously than they do in real life. They'll always use up there allocation of over 23 players starting rather than just use it to build up fitness.

Isn't that, at least partly, down to minor injuries being done differently in this edition?  There's a lot more very minor ones that could probably be played through, and that's a big change to make when you've been mentally conditioned to see an orange injury as something different.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

There can be sort of "Rubberbanding" like as if your inmatch timeline marker jumps forth and back and you see fractions of the scene again...high frequency stuttering also occurs quite often...

Edited by Etebaer

31 minutes ago, Russell10 said:

My tactic isn't working as well since the update

I had only been beat 4 times the whole season, sine the update I played 8 games and lost 4??

yet doesn't allude to ME changes

If you mean the 18.2.2 update, then it was as stated - stability and technical issue fixes. If it's not working as well, it's not the update.

5 hours ago, Richiness said:

Is there a way you can look at a players attributes on the tactics screen on pitch view in a match without having to pause and navigate out? 

On the tactics page there is a little button near the top right that says tactics, click that and you get the older tactical layout, from here, you can mouseover and see the attributes per player.

15 hours ago, Richiness said:

Is there a way you can look at a players attributes on the tactics screen on pitch view in a match without having to pause and navigate out? 

There is a small "i" icon next to the names of the players that you can hover your mouse over and you will see the attributes as well.

Why do players still take kick offs and free kicks with backheel flicks?

What does the 'end team talk' button do?

Why, when showing a scorer's name after a penalty does it show what # goal of the season it is for them, but for other goals it doesn't as it is overwritten by the assist person?

What is the point in this website?

The feature where the chairman accepts an offer for a player above your head is still broken.

The feature itself is good and whilst it is very annoying when it happens, it is realistic.

By broken, I mean when I have already turned down an offer, but the chairman accepts a higher one.

For example:  When I sell younger players (typically under 25, but definitely when 23 or under), I always ask for a 50% sell on clause.  When the youngster has the potential to be a top flight player, this is even more important.  I nearly always succeed in getting this.  I have had quite a few in the last week or so when I rejected a cash plus clause bid but my chairman accepted a slightly higher offer with a significantly reduced sell on clause.  £1.5m up front, plus add ons totalling £3.5m, plus a 20% sell on is nowhere near as good as £4.7m up front, no add ons except a 50% sell on.  Yet the chairman is happy to accept the former but allow me to reject the latter.

I repeat, the feature itself is good, but it needs tweaking.

1 hour ago, DazRTaylor said:

Another issue that is highly annoying, is receiving the same offer time after time from the same clubs.  I rejected that bid, so not sure why repeating the offer the next day and the next day is going to make a difference.  :idiot:

This has been in the game for a long time

Enjoying the game overall, but a few minor annoyances.

* Penalties seem to be missed far too frequently, both for and against me. 

* The game seems to artificially create runs of form for teams to catch up if you get too far ahead. More noticeable than in previous years. I get that it's to keep it competitive, but I don't really like it as it seems unrealistic for Arsenal of all teams to go on a 20 game unbeaten run. It ain't 2004.

* Players ask for new contracts far too often. Not sure if it's realistic, but it certainly is irritating.

* General UI seems clunkier and less responsive than the last FM I owned (FM15). General layout is the same but the sub screen mid match in particular is terrible. 

Those annoyances aside I'm having fun with this one, it feels like a mostly natural upgrade from 15.

21 minutes ago, d_e4life said:

The game seems to artificially create runs of form for teams to catch up if you get too far ahead. More noticeable than in previous years. I get that it's to keep it competitive, but I don't really like it as it seems unrealistic for Arsenal of all teams to go on a 20 game unbeaten run. It ain't 2004.

The game doesn't artificially do this, just FYI.

On 21/01/2018 at 19:13, d_e4life said:

* The game seems to artificially create runs of form for teams to catch up if you get too far ahead. More noticeable than in previous years. I get that it's to keep it competitive, but I don't really like it as it seems unrealistic for Arsenal of all teams to go on a 20 game unbeaten run. It ain't 2004.

Last season Arsenal lost 1 out of 22 games between 20th August and 13th December, which was an EFL Cup game. Just saying.

5 hours ago, s1111 said:

Last season Arsenal lost 1 out of 22 games between 20th August and 13th December, which was an EFL Cup game. Just saying.

United went unbeaten between October and April that year for 25 matches. Not that it helped hugely much in the tables, as unfortunately for them, the EPL has turned from a top four into more of a top 6 league. Not 2004 no more indeed. In competitive leagues, chances are, no matter how decent you are, there may be somebody grander. Sticking your head in the sand and screaming foul play is the worst thing to do, as that's not how the game works either way for sure. It never has. The universal key for all of FM, that is aside of resisting the anger that leads to the dark side,  is oft in turning a few of those draws into wins and losses into draws, it's always been. Won't happen all itself though.

The "easy solution" was just heading to the download sections. Will solve it all asap, and debunk that myth swiftly. Long-term, it's no fix though... Fish and fishing.

5 minutes ago, parsdaft1982 said:

For thos who think the ME is scripted and that certain scorelines in FM will never happen in real life, these are the stats for last nights game:

SwaVLiv stats

28% possession, Bet Klop feels like he was playing FM last night :lol:

Long shots are so broken. It seems Liverpool are using the current 18.2 Match engine.