Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

when are we going to get the next patch as the games are becoming very boring.

super keepers are ridiculous, just a min ago de gea on his right side ny the post and woodburn tucks it into the left corner but he got right across the goal with the craziest dive ever and saved ? 

earlier 12 shots on goal 6 inside the 6 yard box all hit to the corners that the keepers impossibly saved, i mean a penalty is hard enough  but to save from virt point blank range 6 times ???

then there is the ridiculous shooting ? woodburn edge of the box opens up in front and he has a crack and it goes out for a throw in ???? no deflection. he hit it dead centre so it was probably impossible for it to just go right ??

injuries are a mare especially before a big game where you suddenly pick up 3 or 4 hes out for 3 days inuries ???

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

another thing, one i dont get. apparently its rumored that si are working on a new engine for the game due to the restrictions withg this one.

so we hace had the same engine for a while then ? so why on earth does it take 3 months ish every release to get it playable every single year ??

and what is it the coders do every year if we haccvae the same engine every year as we only have a few extra bits each year now, surely they should be building the engine fresh each year ? surely thats the minimum gamers should expect otherwise what do you spend a year doing ? the game is not that much of a leap forward each time but i thought every year there was a new engine out so i pray every year it will play like football to be dissapointed each year when its like pin ball and now  its obvious why as its the same thing you guys just re box every year ??

1 minute ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

It might be the shoots with power ppm Kane has. He just blasts it down the middle

Yeah, Lukaku does that a lot. Happily, keepers seem to be compelled to leap to one side or the other!

1 hour ago, jamessmith010101 said:

another thing, one i dont get. apparently its rumored that si are working on a new engine for the game due to the restrictions withg this one.

so we hace had the same engine for a while then ? so why on earth does it take 3 months ish every release to get it playable every single year ??

and what is it the coders do every year if we haccvae the same engine every year as we only have a few extra bits each year now, surely they should be building the engine fresh each year ? surely thats the minimum gamers should expect otherwise what do you spend a year doing ? the game is not that much of a leap forward each time but i thought every year there was a new engine out so i pray every year it will play like football to be dissapointed each year when its like pin ball and now  its obvious why as its the same thing you guys just re box every year ??

Because 1 change throws everything else out of whack, it's a constant balancing act  I'd imagine SI are looking forward to a new ME as much as we are. 

I doubt the UI guys or the people working on new features are working on the ME anyway.  Plus SI is a small studio annually realising 4 versions of the game. 

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

22 minutes ago, jamessmith010101 said:

super keepers are ridiculous, just a min ago de gea on his right side ny the post and woodburn tucks it into the left corner but he got right across the goal with the craziest dive ever and saved ?

This never has been a super keeper. This is SI not spoon feeding you how much they model the keeper to have an edge over the forward in specific scenarios, which outside of penalties and tap-ins he almost always has, as he's competitive at the level he plays in. If the majority of those 6 shots inside the 6 yard box are headers from indirect free kicks, corners and attacking throw ins in crowded boxes, that should be a reasonably clue. If it's all rushed hits under pressure, typically against opponents sitting deep, it can be a bit more difficult/subjective. If there was a one on one in there, it may depend on the angle, ditto. A pretty decent chance either way is a cut back from wide into the box for a tap-in, as it typically has half the keeper already taken out the picture.

Unfortunately, the keeper ratings oft aren't much of a clue here either. Pretty much relevant if you try to shut up shop yourself -- after all, if you do such, your opponents may still have shots, even inside of your box. But how quality are those? All of this is made worse if you don't follow some real life football studies on shot conversions, which from my end seems to be taken into account as can anyway. But yeah, an FM "Classic". Unfortunately, it's mostly not what it appears to be for too many reasons to (again) discuss them all. ;)

Edited by Svenc

2 hours ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Reduces incidences of cross/shots highlights

Does this mean they will happen less or they just won't pop up as highlight ( but we'll cam see them in full match / analysis) ?

Good Question. I'd like to know how the answer is ... 

The main "problem" of Football Manager IMHO is the gameplay. I've played thousands of hours the game since the 90s. I think that the gaming experience of Football Manager is similar to a turn based strategy game, like for instance Civilization. A turn based strategy game is boring when you just need to follow a specific "pattern" in order to achieve the victory. 

I read people complaining because dynamics are becoming more complicated or because they struggle with the tactics: I think that the majority of players want to pick up a team in League Two, get promoted to Premier League in 4 years and then start to win trophyes... This is quite easy to achieve if you sign loans and young players.

In real life there are different dynamics, like the one introduced by SI this year, there is the experience of players which play a big role etc.

However, the main factor is the AI.

The most difficult thing for the creators of game in 2017 is to improve the AI, it's really difficult to make a good AI...however is the biggest improvement possible for Football Manager.

Edited by Delvi

In all honesty really enjoying this game, keep reading a lot of negative comments, I agree with the above comment a lot of people just want to plug and play, download a tactic someone else is having success with and storm the leagues in a few seasons and then  win the champions league.

I don't have a top end laptop and have not had any issues with lag, I have 21 nations loaded and all the leagues from the nations running as well.

Also the first time in a long time I have got into a save straight away this being in the Hungarian second division with Mosonmagyaróvári TE.

Keep up the good work.

transfer market seems even more broken than before. semedo valued at 35 mill played all of barcas games at lb and goes to psg for 15 mill ?? not transfer listed.

kovacic valued at 75 mill and psg come in with 40 mill bid 

Are those players in the final years of their contracts?

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

^ It's not a bug, it's your tactics. Funnily enough, we have a whole forum to inform you.

It's also missing and gibberish feedback, which carries over into tactical decision making (or lack thereof). Also in the form of a final match report that would tell anybody they'd be "unlucky", even if there was barely but a load of "poop" in there, and the opposition easily had the only tap-in in the match (invariably not flagged as a "clear cut chance" or anything, as that shouldn't be named "how did he miss that?", but rather "How does anybody still put any significant value into that obviously subjective stat being all over the place?" instead).

If combined with the logics that dominating shots and possession on the final match report was a sign of "playing superb" after years of watching Match of the Day, with television putting some kind of super importance on such simplistic stats in general, and it's toxic. The above match may have still been settled by bugs that would need adressing, mind. The stats wouldn't reveal it, uploading it and filing a bug report with match moments that you think may need adressing may do though. Nothing you can do but repeat this over and over again, also for SI to "fix". :D  Whilst in isolation there is nothing wrong with the above match, they may know that their entire fanscene affiliated as well as the Workshops they support are riddled with stuff as well as "advice" that encourages such on a semi-regular basis. Structurally, the stuff you tend to find is similar to last year's.

Edited by Svenc

1 hour ago, byvirus said:

The game really drive me crazy ! 

32 shots %63 possession and 0 goal. Opponent 2 shots 1 goal and win !! Its not for the first time. Its not bad luck. Is it a bug or what ??

pGaQlq.jpg

I think the official phrase is you got FM'd.

2 minutes ago, Sticx said:

I think the official phrase is you got FM'd.

It's either that (would be the case if the opposition goal was scored off a bug or keeper fumble) -- or not having a clue about football, the flawed virtual one of FM or otherwise. I can't see the likes of Guardiola etc. logging onto Whoscored, taking a look at shot counts, and conclude from that they'd be playing particularly well.  Television seems to have ruined it all, though it appears to be getting some wiser on the account (BBC this season).:brock:

2 hours ago, Svenc said:

It's either that (would be the case if the opposition goal was scored off a bug or keeper fumble) -- or not having a clue about football, the flawed virtual one of FM or otherwise. I can't see the likes of Guardiola etc. logging onto Whoscored, taking a look at shot counts, and conclude from that they'd be playing particularly well.  Television seems to have ruined it all, though it appears to be getting some wiser on the account (BBC this season).:brock:

to be fair to this guyt i do feel his pain. i had quite a few similar matches  and its either super keepers or glaring misses. the misses you dont mind to be fair as thats kinda realistic but the keepers at times are not. i had 6 in the 6 yard box in one game all good positions all central and all put to the keepers right or left at point blank range. all saved with crazy saves from the keeper i mean a penalty from  18 yards is hard to save but from 6 yards is crazy. then you have the crazy shots from really good players i mean they are just as crazy. good players getting to the edge of the area and then hitting the corner flag or on one occasion actually going out for a throw in from the edge of the area? i would have thought that si may have kinda put these things as a priority as they just look silly. i dont want to score 5 or 6 a game i just want the misses to be realistic if they are going to miss. 

1 minute ago, byvirus said:

i changed the tactic but again 25 shots %67 possession 837 passes and only 1 goal. i dont understand that how goalkeepers always in the right place..... 

XEj5vR.jpg

you have to ignore the shots on goal its the ones on target that are important.  take a look at the shots on target and see whats happening. they could all be from the edge of the area or headers from corners. 

to be fair to this guyt i do feel his pain. i had quite a few similar matches  and its either super keepers or glaring misses. the misses you dont mind to be fair as thats kinda realistic but the keepers at times are not. i had 6 in the 6 yard box in one game all good positions all central and all put to the keepers right or left at point blank range. all saved with crazy saves from the keeper i mean a penalty from  18 yards is hard to save but from 6 yards is crazy. then you have the crazy shots from really good players i mean they are just as crazy. good players getting to the edge of the area and then hitting the corner flag or on one occasion actually going out for a throw in from the edge of the area? i would have thought that si may have kinda put these things as a priority as they just look silly. i dont want to score 5 or 6 a game i just want the misses to be realistic if they are going to miss. 

I had enquired how many of those 6 yards finishes where from set piece play, in particular headers. Those aren't converted that regularly, even on target, and shouldn't. At the moment it's subjective, but traditionally, the super keeper is a competitive keeper made to look good. With one or two good saves in between. Shots go flying in football too, this was Serie A on the weekend (I find those curious though that go out to the sidelines in-game). The above is, in most cases a perception/bad feedback issue. It will remain unless SI fed better feedback as how "decent" they try to model a particular chance to be. Best to report the match in the ME forum. Even if you would disagree with them, at least you'd have some feedback how they roughly see things, when atm, you are at the "mercy" of what's there. Which includes FM struggling to display forwards struggling for balance.

Realism should be the aim. Man City currently comfortably miss the most Opta data Big Chances in the EPL, with Aguero, Jesus and Sturridge alone almost averaging one such miss per match each. (Opta Data Big chances are typically one on ones and close range finishes, reasonably expected to be scored -- key word reasonably, as the keeper mostly has the edge, defending is easier than attacking). This is perfectly natural, due to the alarming rate they create those. Most will be missed, no matter who's up there, you will find that for any forward in football. Ronaldo currently is on the curious run of having but one league goal to show in 60 attempts which is unlikely to last though. Statistically, there is nothing at all wrong with the above matches any,on FM's simple level of stats. In particular considering that AI as well as players can make sides play like no team does in football much. And indeed, you see weird AI decisions contributing to too many poor/average shots, making them less competitive than they could be.

Edited by Svenc

3 hours ago, someone21 said:

It's already 1 month since the beta, and they haven't fixed the slowness/lag within the game. That alone itself possibly makes this 2018 version worst ever.  So please fix this random freezes and lags.

Whilst 'worst ever' is a bit strong, I do agree that to be a month in and still get lags and freezes is pretty bad. I understand things have improved but hardly to the extent to make it so badly, even with good machines. People can much higher graphical games than this. It's the only thing holding the game back for me personally and I believe this should have been rectified by now especially as we're on our third hotfix

• Administrators

Any 'lag' or 'freeze' on the processing/calendar screen is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the speed of the game. If you're having issues anywhere else in game, please raise them on the bugs forum and we'll take a look.

So two hotfixes later and we still have the annoying as hell crowd noise during both halftime and fulltime team talks, plus the crowd noise itself is still too noisy and there is no variation in sound, just one loud crowd no matter who you're playing.

6 minutes ago, jc1 said:

So two hotfixes later and we still have the annoying as hell crowd noise during both halftime and fulltime team talks, plus the crowd noise itself is still too noisy and there is no variation in sound, just one loud crowd no matter who you're playing.

So you can derive it's either harder to fix than it initially seemed, or it's far less important than the ones they did fix.  My money would be on the latter.

Was it raised in the bugs forum?  Acknowledged?

26 minutes ago, forameuss said:

So you can derive it's either harder to fix than it initially seemed, or it's far less important than the ones they did fix.  My money would be on the latter.

Was it raised in the bugs forum?  Acknowledged?

4 hours ago, Chris21 said:

Whilst 'worst ever' is a bit strong, I do agree that to be a month in and still get lags and freezes is pretty bad. I understand things have improved but hardly to the extent to make it so badly, even with good machines. People can much higher graphical games than this. It's the only thing holding the game back for me personally and I believe this should have been rectified by now especially as we're on our third hotfix

Processing is fine for me, real quick to be fair.   General navigating is quite horrible though lag still there.  I raised it in the bug forum.

6 minutes ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

Processing is fine for me, real quick to be fair.   General navigating is quite horrible though lag still there.

Yeah, it's obviously not a simple bug. FM18 is running absolutely flawlessly on my two-year-old laptop - highest-quality 3D match display, no problems with the UI, no lag during the calendar display. Based on the volume of my cooling fans, it's actually stressing my machine less than FM17 did.