Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

The number of offsides in this ME is totally unacceptable. I'll paste my post from Bugs section:

Offsides in Bundesliga 16/17:

https://www.wahretabelle.de/statistik/abseits?saisonId=302

I don't know how to find this kind of table in FM (I had to count it by myself from player statistics in team screen), but my team (HSV) has got total 98 offsides after 17 games, RB Leipzig 79, Leverkusen 65, BVB 80, Bayern 66. This is far far more offsides per game than IRL... 

Let's see how it looks like with the Premier League. Season 16/17:

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_offside?se=54

In my save, after 18 games Crystal Palace has got over 150 offsides, Everton  over120, Liverpool over 120, Man Utd over 150 etc. AFTER 18 GAMES!!!

If there's any easier access to the amount of offsides in FM, I could give you more data. But what i wrote should be enough to say, that the number of offsides per game in this ME is far from okay.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't look that far off, the Premier League is only 11 games into the season in real life. On that basis, by the time they get to 18 games, the figures will be fairly similar to the game's figures for some of the teams, eg Man Utd on track to have 198 offsides by 22 matches played. 

Playing as Poole, have U23 squad but no fixtures. Set U23 manager to arrange friendlies every week but he never does, had this same issue in FM17 with Ebbsfleet and many have reported it. What's the deal with this? Considering you can arrange friendlies yourself, it makes no sense that they couldn't be done automatically.

33 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Doesn't look that far off, the Premier League is only 11 games into the season in real life. On that basis, by the time they get to 18 games, the figures will be fairly similar to the game's figures for some of the teams, eg Man Utd on track to have 198 offsides by 22 matches played. 

That's the whole season stats for the EPL.

United had 98 offsides all season in 16/17 they currently have 19 for 17/18

I've definitely noticed a lot of offsides, ill check stats when I get home.

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

198 sounds excessive when they only had 99 the entire PL 16/17 season.
And so far, this PL season, they only have 19 after 11 games.

Having a look at my own team in the game.
In 20 competitive games my players have racked up 102 offsides.
That is an absurd amount of offsides.
My 2 main strikers have managed to get 76 of them.
Player 1 with 44 offsides in 20 appearances
Player 2 with 32 offsides in 15(4) appearances.

12 hours ago, szp said:

I can't tell my wingers to swap positions when I'm making adjustments to my tactic during a match (for example after 45 mins). I can't find this option in Player Instructions and have no idea where else could I find it. Is this option really removed? :O

It is on the tactics screen now. Click on a player shirt, and at the bottom right corner, there is a Swap position drop down box.

5 minutes ago, wateronglass said:

Playing as Poole, have U23 squad but no fixtures. Set U23 manager to arrange friendlies every week but he never does, had this same issue in FM17 with Ebbsfleet and many have reported it. What's the deal with this? Considering you can arrange friendlies yourself, it makes no sense that they couldn't be done automatically.

The problem was in FM17 as well. But if I took control of the team, he would suddenly fill out some weeks with games, but not always. Very weird.

19 hours ago, jam jameson said:

Feedback after some hours playing LLM:

1) after the beta, the partnership-lines on the pitch between the pairs of players are gone. I've read that many noticed it and that maybe it's only that they take longer to appear on the pitch, can you confirm?

2) in the tatcitcs screen, now often the coloured icons that measure the suitability of a player for the position/role disappear randomly without a reason, only to appear (sometimes) later when checking the screeen again

3) please please please give us back the option to show ALL THE PLAYERS' NAMES on the pitch, when managing LLM it's very difficult to understand who's doing what

4) please have a look into defensive set pieces, I keep on spotting my players that as soon as the opponent kicks the corner (or free kick) just run away from the action and their defensive duties towards the opponent area, leaving the opponents free to score tons of goals

5) stadia are quite ridicolous, un-realistic and totally arcade...

6) an issue with scouting: when I send scouting a player, they come back in the meeting and assess the player with their 1-100 rating, but when I click to see the full report it is blank and there's again the box 'scout the player', so I have to click and scout it again, awful

Out of this, I'm pleased with the game so far

Hello SI, just to know, anybody there reading our feedbacks and maybe providing some kind of reply, or it's just a discussion among the users? thanks a lot

21 minutes ago, roykela said:

198 sounds excessive when they only had 99 the entire PL 16/17 season.
And so far, this PL season, they only have 19 after 11 games.

Having a look at my own team in the game.
In 20 competitive games my players have racked up 102 offsides.
That is an absurd amount of offsides.
My 2 main strikers have managed to get 76 of them.
Player 1 with 44 offsides in 20 appearances
Player 2 with 32 offsides in 15(4) appearances.

One of my strikers (Fiete Arp) got 35 in 15 appearances :( 

Generally speaking things get really really bad, when the strikers are on attack duty. But even on support they are getting caught way to often. 

19 hours ago, jam jameson said:

Feedback after some hours playing LLM:

1) after the beta, the partnership-lines on the pitch between the pairs of players are gone. I've read that many noticed it and that maybe it's only that they take longer to appear on the pitch, can you confirm?

2) in the tatcitcs screen, now often the coloured icons that measure the suitability of a player for the position/role disappear randomly without a reason, only to appear (sometimes) later when checking the screeen again

3) please please please give us back the option to show ALL THE PLAYERS' NAMES on the pitch, when managing LLM it's very difficult to understand who's doing what

4) please have a look into defensive set pieces, I keep on spotting my players that as soon as the opponent kicks the corner (or free kick) just run away from the action and their defensive duties towards the opponent area, leaving the opponents free to score tons of goals

5) stadia are quite ridicolous, un-realistic and totally arcade...

6) an issue with scouting: when I send scouting a player, they come back in the meeting and assess the player with their 1-100 rating, but when I click to see the full report it is blank and there's again the box 'scout the player', so I have to click and scout it again, awful

Out of this, I'm pleased with the game so far

1. They are there. Just need time for the players to get used to your system and to work together within that system.
3. Agree wholeheartedly.

1 hour ago, szp said:

One of my strikers (Fiete Arp) got 35 in 15 appearances :( 

Generally speaking things get really really bad, when the strikers are on attack duty. But even on support they are getting caught way to often. 

I have the same experience.
In most of my games i'm not trying to play attacking football either, as my team is quite rubbish.
I'm with a defensive/counter-attacking style of football. The number of offsides are absurdly high already but they shouldn't be anywhere near those figures
when i'm trying to have my players deep inside my own half.

Edited by roykela

21 hours ago, forameuss said:

I know, right?  Not as if there was a free demo there for you to try it out before you spent any mon...

Oh.

Any custom graphics?  Anything like that extends the start-up time considerably.

Its called being a loyal fan, mate. Haven't used the demo in over a decade. Its just second nature in buying each game without reading reviews etc. Its called loya....Oh

1 minute ago, Preveza said:

Its called being a loyal fan, mate. Haven't used the demo in over a decade. Its just second nature in buying each game without reading reviews etc. Its called loya....Oh

Blind loyalty, certainly.  You can be disappointed, but can't really have too many complaints when you had the opportunity to play the free demo.

29 minutes ago, Preveza said:

Quite true, I am sure there are people out there who would buy an empty box if SI realeased it

1 minute ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

I was aticipating that reply, however it only distracts from the point I was making

I know what your point was and i'm pretty sure you're right. And i agree with the underlying point you were making.
In context with another reply; being loyal isn't a bad thing. But being blindly loyal is not a good thing.

I think people who are playing this game for the last 3 or 5 years know already what they get as the core of the game.

Therefore "blind" loyality is not the same as if they would create a complete new game every year.

I agree somewhat to what your saying, KUBI.
The core game is already known. And in that instance there isn't any immediate "danger" to get something different. It'll most likely be what it is for a very long time. And players,
as you say who have been playing the game for the last 3-5 years know what they'll get there.

However, the next generation having entered the game, tend to focus a bit more on the visual side and that can lead to some unexpected drawbacks (not saying it will, and i'm just using it as an example.).
Blind loyality can, in such and similar cases, lead to more negative immediate reactions, when things have been altered significantly.
Some people might continue playing and some will refuse to play the game.
Let's take the Manager Profile Picture (just another example to make a point). That can be, for some, what they have most fun with, along with matches and transfers perhaps.
Whereas others prefer the old import your own picture.

For those that like that importing picture thing it might be an off-putter already at step one. Which then creates a "false impression" of the game, in their minds.
That can mean a lot to some people and will flat out refuse to get involved with the game. Simply because from their own subjective point of view they're already sitting with a bad taste in their mouths.
If players are "tainted" with a bad first impression, due to a miniscule change, then it might not matter what the usual core game is.
It might not be what the game is about but any impressions can affect other parts of the game, from a subjective point of view.

It's neither wrong or right, and SI can't cater to all players, but that's where people shoot themselves in their own foot with being blindly loyal.
Especially when, in this case, there's a free demo where they can check it out first, for free.

In the german 1.Bundesliga Teams have at average 150 offsides for + against.

RB Leizpig run over 100 times into offside positions

Eintracht Frankfurt had over 100 successfull offsidetraps

And it depends on Tactics etc.

In modern Football putting Players into offside positions is part of  the game and the other Players need to show offside awareness and build up the game to take advantage of it in both directions so i expect more voaltile offside play.

1. shots from the most inexplicable angles | players receiving the ball on the shoulder of the full back instead of taking them on will just shoot wildly. players receiving the ball in the box will shoot instantly without a second thought when there are open net passes available

2. players inability to finish 1v1 opportunities -- they will either not dribble towards the goal and shoot instantly again without a second thought, shoot/pass it right to the keeper or smash it off-target -- especially common when the keeper is out of goal leaving an empty net!

3. through balls do not come to the mind of players in many match situations they will often pass into space in the wide areas of the pitch instead of *through* and towards goal. some passes don't exist because players will not make runs beyond the defensive line from deep too.

4. players are too slow in making decisions to pass or dribble: dribbling as a skill is never used in the final third to attack the goal by dribbling across the goal mouth to create a better shooting chance because players will always opt to shoot as soon as they have the ball!

5.players will run into each other too frequently and lose the ball and also not clear the ball up the pitch when pinned by an opposition player like irl but they instead freeze and get tackled

6. when goal keepers can't follow distribution instructions they will boot it 100% to the opposition left back which leads to them attacking straight away leaving players up the pitch not reacting soon enough

**re-posting here since SI won't look into it unless you post replays of each point from the match** 

Edited by pls911

53 minutes ago, pls911 said:

**re-posting here since SI won't look into it unless you post replays of each point from the match** 

It's not a case of SI "won't" look into.  It's a case of SI "can't" look into it.  Big difference.

Help SI to help you (and everyone else) by uploading pkms of matches where you notice the issue.  SI can't look into your issues unless you give them the data.

That loyalty to a computer game could ever be considered a badge of honour is such a bizarre notion. You buy this (or any) game on it's own merit & because you think it's gonna be fun to play, and if it turns out badly then it's that person's own fault for not trying the free demo. Consumerist 'loyalty' is just a kinder way of saying gullibility.

Ok, so after a few days playing around with tactics etc, one or two things I've noticed. The ME and the game graphics are pretty decent and some of the inter play with some of the players is quite surprising. 

Goalkeepers spilling simple shots and turning them round the post for corners is just way too much, please please please sort this out in the next update as it really takes away from quite a decent game.

Please try and do something with the crowd noise, even in a little friendly with 2 thousand fans, there's enough noise to fill a 40,000 stadium, so over exaggerated and and there's no variation in the noise, just one monotonous crowd noise that grates on the ears after a while. Also, please can we turn off the bloody crowd noise during half time/full time team talks, it just makes me want to turn the volume all the way off, GET IT SORTED.

The game is still a wee bit laggy changing pages, this has been reported by a lot of people, so I take it it's a known issue.

Why would I buy the demo when I know what I will be getting. Yeah there are a few new features etc. But come on. Not as if I am trying a completely new genre, and I have no idea what to expect. Simple as that. Yeah, I'm disappointed, but these issues will most likely be rectified in upcoming patches. 

Gullibility is not the right word to use. Gullible for what?? I can easily afford the game, and my remark about wasting $65 was my mistake which I should have not made. Suppose it was me showing bitterness.

But the core game is quite similar to previous versions; Demos are for people who have never played FM before, or at least have not picked it up for 3-4 years. Different story there. I'm gullible for spending $65 on a game which has given me thousands of hours of good time well spent; naww yeah.

4 minutes ago, Preveza said:

Why would I buy the demo when I know what I will be getting. Yeah there are a few new features etc. But come on. Not as if I am trying a completely new genre, and I have no idea what to expect. Simple as that. Yeah, I'm disappointed, but these issues will most likely be rectified in upcoming patches. 

Gullibility is not the right word to use. Gullible for what?? I can easily afford the game, and my remark about wasting $65 was my mistake which I should have not made. Suppose it was me showing bitterness.

But the core game is quite similar to previous versions; Demos are for people who have never played FM before, or at least have not picked it up for 3-4 years. Different story there. I'm gullible for spending $65 on a game which has given me thousands of hours of good time well spent; naww yeah.

You don't buy the demo. The demo is free.

The demo is not just for people who haven't played FM before.
It's for anybody and everybody to check the new game out before they buy it.

Core game, as you say, is quite similar. As it usually is very year.
The remark about wasting $65, to me, is a big indication that you probably should have tried the demo first; to see what's new and the state of the game.
I don't take it as bitterness, but an avoidable feeling and impression.

You have played for a long, long time and you also know then that the game isn't in the best shape upon release.
As you indicate yourself, mentioning upcoming patches.
Whether you buy it or not is one's own choice though. And that's where a little test run with the demo first comes in handy.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to "i know what the core game is but i was disappointed with this feature and that feature etc.".
One day, probably, it'll bite me in the arse. The day when significant changes have been made. Something that has an effect on the way i play the game.
I will probably voice my opinion, but i can only blame myself. I could just wait for the demo to come out.

I agree with the frustrations about the issues you quoted. I have them myself, about the same issues.
But i suppose it was that remark that gave a tiny little spark and became i tiny flame that triggered the argument.

Got to love FM passion :):thup:

17 hours ago, corn_onthecurb said:

Just had a regen change skin colour......

BEFORE:

Whats_App_Image_2017_11_13_at_16_12_38.j

I am going slow in my career because I focus a lot on scouting specially and I still haven't seen regens. Are all that good or is him just an exception? I really hope they aren't OP again :( 

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

1 minute ago, TIR669 said:

Why are players released on contract end treated separately in transfer history window and not shown at all under ALL transfers? Shouldn't all transfers be listed in that screen, as it's name suggests?

It's extra-click manager this year, haven't you heard? 

Home now and checked offsides on my game.

In my last 5 matches offsides have been

5-4

8-7

5-2

6-2

4-3

So quite a bit higher than the real life EPL average ( United had an offsides per game average of 2.6 per game last season / .7pg this season so far). I dunno ho much use the stats further back are because this save dates back to the start of the Beta.

18 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Home now and checked offsides on my game.

In my last 5 matches offsides have been

5-4

8-7

5-2

6-2

4-3

So quite a bit higher than the real life EPL average ( United had an offsides per game average of 2.6 per game last season / .7pg this season so far). I dunno ho much use the stats further back are because this save dates back to the start of the Beta.

Still useful. Definitely worth uploading the save

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

It's extra-click manager this year, haven't you heard? 

Point me where should I click to avoid this FIFA-scripting please.

Mentality on attacking, I'm chasing a win here with solid 120-140 CA players, not random 7th league junk. 80th minute and instead of kicking it forward, my mid and FB(a) first ignore overlap (the only "slow down" TI active at the time), proceed to pass it to the keeper who disregards his pass to full backs and take short kicks PI and rather kicks it forward (to none).

Cheery on the cake is this missed animation and fantastic ball control at the end, where my DC disregards the ball and my other DC continues forward leaving his man unmarked.

I'm done.

Zo8JWoP.gif

14 minutes ago, TIR669 said:

Point me where should I click to avoid this FIFA-scripting please.

Mentality on attacking, I'm chasing a win here with solid 120-140 CA players, not random 7th league junk. 80th minute and instead of kicking it forward, my mid and FB(a) first ignore overlap (the only "slow down" TI active at the time), proceed to pass it to the keeper who disregards his pass to full backs and take short kicks PI and rather kicks it forward (to none).

Cheery on the cake is this missed animation and fantastic ball control at the end, where my DC disregards the ball and my other DC continues forward leaving his man unmarked.

Your keeper kicks it long because you're chasing the game and are on an attacking mentality overriding the PI's you have. The fullback passes it back to the keeper after receiving the ball because he's immediately closed down (poor pass from the mid) , and your CD at the end is caught in possession. Not an ideal scenario of course, but it's how it happens sometimes. You can have as many instructions as you want, but the one thing people always tend to forget is there's another team on the park with their own instructions too. 

The game is not 'scripted'. Not in the sense you're referring to anyway. 

2 minutes ago, andu1 said:

something went wrong with the ME this version. There are too few goals scored by top teams. For example Real Madrid has 40 goals in 25 games and this is with full detail on.

Bugs Forum? ME issue? Please report everything you think is an issue in the bugs forum, not in the feedback thread.

6 minutes ago, andu1 said:

something went wrong with the ME this version. There are too few goals scored by top teams. For example Real Madrid has 40 goals in 25 games and this is with full detail on.

Scored 82 goals in the first season on my save, also on full detail. 

1) Scouting is very poorly explained and has been generally quite irritating to use. What was once one of the most fun and rewarding parts of the game has become something I mostly avoid. I'm hoping you'll not just fix what is already there but that you'll make it more clear how things work. It's surprising how many long-time players (such as myself) are fairly baffled by the new system.

2) The increased information on injuries and injury risks is appreciated. Same with team dynamics. It seems like you've revealed some things that were under the hood and done it in an enjoyable and visually pleasing way. Good job.

3) I wish the 3D match engine looked better. I just don't see any significant steps forward in this area and it seems like it has been promised for so many years. I actually tried FIFA with career manager mode this year first, before purchasing FM 18. They're not there yet, but if they continue to beef up their manager mode it could mean that I'll spend my money on that instead of FM. I hope you'll take the threat of losing people to FIFA manager mode (or some other game) seriously. I realize it's not serious now, but one day it could be, and all you need to stay far ahead of them is to make the matches look better. Much better. FM wins in every other area except that.

22 minutes ago, django_z said:

It's surprising how many long-time players (such as myself) are fairly baffled by the new system.

You'll need to explain why, because a long-time player (such as myself) thinks the scouting system in FM18 is not only excellent, but obvious. The game even tells you when you're about to incur additional costs. We can argue whether the costs are realistic (I don't have the faintest idea) but I just don't understand the complaints on the forum.