Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, oulzac said:

And it shouldn't.

No. It clearly should. If the player didn't play much the previous season or at least toward the end of it, he has every right to ask what your intentions are... with the transfer window being open, in case he wants/needs to go.

Is there any way to stop pl ayers getting a year and blank entry on their career history after spending even a day without a club? I've been reporting it since beta, so its persistence makes me think its deliberate. If so it's an awful awful choice.

ddUnt2itled.thumb.png.565309cfabe1c56dc0c6b2586a58406f.png

19 hours ago, Per Annum said:

Is there any way to stop pl ayers getting a year and blank entry on their career history after spending even a day without a club? I've been reporting it since beta, so its persistence makes me think its deliberate. If so it's an awful awful choice.

ddUnt2itled.thumb.png.565309cfabe1c56dc0c6b2586a58406f.png

And also if they are signed and are put in the reserves squad (without playing) before being moved to their main squad, it creates an entry for the reserves team.

It's strange to see a player transfered for € 80 million has an entry "PSG Reserves" right after they joined PSG, with 0 apps . (AI behavior)

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

On 16/04/2018 at 23:10, oulzac said:

Why does the coaching staff of a top flight club always tell you to consider opening contract talks with a player who has 3-4 years left on their current deal? Seriously? Why is this a thing? It nonsense.

If a player has 3 years left on their deal and they are making 180K a week, why on earth would I want to offer them a new contract. They will want more money and it will just mean I end up paying them more for those three years.

Pretty much everything the coaching tell you is complete horlicks. From the Assistant Manager's inane suggestions during the game, through the meaningless "no longer a world class player now only a leading blah blah" when he's been [laying better than ever.  

On 12/05/2018 at 16:19, dkouv said:

For me this has been the weakest FM for years. I would say the weakest since CM01/02 when I started playing, but then I think my perception of the earlier editions is coloured a bit by me being far less cynical back then :D There are two things which are major annoyances, and one smaller one:

1/ ME: think this is a mess - the most unbalanced version for years. Crossing and direct play + 3 strikers are overpowered, long shots and defending underpowered, and it feels like mental attributes play too small a role i.e. players make a lot of stupid on- and off the ball decisions. It's a shame that the ME that was so poor throughout 18.2 was not tweaked or rolled back to something like 18.0 or FM17 in 18.3

2/ Bugginess: I think this year a lot of changes went on under the hood, and maybe that's why we had a lot more bugs than usual, but still, it feels like a lot. The most annoying ones that are still in the game are regens changing skin colour, and training/youth facility upgrades getting delayed. Also processing was slow until 18.3, but that's been fixed now which is great. I try to post bugs whenever I can, but when there are so many things and they are slow to get fixed, one kind of gets tired of it.

3/ Scouting: it may be more realistic, but some things I don't want to be more realistic, I just want a nice simplification that makes for a smooth game. This scouting system feels like if you had to manually order your manager to brush teeth and get dressed in the morning, just more complication for little end immersion or fun.

On the positives, for me dynamics have been a very nice addition. Medical centre is useful too. And I hope the new under-the-hood changes will allow for some yet-unrealised improvements, e.g. to graphics, in future editions.

For FM19, it would be nice to have as few new features as possible, but to have the bugs ironed out and ME go back to the standard of FM17/FM18.0. More generally, I think there is a temptation for SI to add new features every year, but now so many new features and new roles etc have been added, the game has all this unnecessary faff and complexity, and the core bits that are important for good gameplay are stagnating.

Rambling on a bit here, my main wishlist for the future is to have a new ME with a much simplified tactical interface with fewer options, roles etc and more realistic gameplay. I am a bit lost with the current tactics-ME feedback and complexity, and I don't think it is that necessary. Replacing sliders with the tactical creator was a step in the right direction, and I'd like this taken even further, with much fewer roles and options, but with each option being consistent with each other. E.g. select that you want a team to play counter, and play hard counter-press and then sit off (2 clicks), and leave everything else on default, and the team actually plays that kind of football. Or if you don't have the right players, tries and fails miserably :p Now it's just too difficult how to create these kind of options.

Oh, and I tried playing Touch but didn't like it - I like the immersion of the full version, and things like attribute masking, having to work for tactic familiarity, and having more than 3 players in a youth intake. I just want that immersion to be simpler, more streamlined and more consistent, if that makes sense.

Allright, hope this is helpful!

Makes a lot of sense to me, and in particular the horrible mess the scouting system has become. Reading the scout report is a chore - you used to be able to access what other scouts has said (even though they all pretty much said the same thing regardless of "judging ability/PA", but now you just get list after list. If you ask to scout further you get "even though he's within your scouting range this is going to cost money," but there's no way to keep track of it. used to be uninteresting part of the game, and now it's little more than a chore.

FM should go to basics... remember FM05, FM06, FM07, FM08?? Those were great and playable games for hours... Why? Because they were simple in their nature... No complexity... I know we have FM Classic / Touch now for simple gaming and that's okay, but it lacks data editor... I don't know why SI refuse to enbable custom database in FM Touch?!  Anyway, I've decided to skip future FMs 'cause of that... Who knows, maybe future brings something new...

5 hours ago, Luke Cro said:

FM should go to basics... remember FM05, FM06, FM07, FM08?? Those were great and playable games for hours... Why? Because they were simple in their nature... No complexity... I know we have FM Classic / Touch now for simple gaming and that's okay, but it lacks data editor... I don't know why SI refuse to enbable custom database in FM Touch?!  Anyway, I've decided to skip future FMs 'cause of that... Who knows, maybe future brings something new...

Would be nice but commercially that’s never gonna happen. SI are caught in their own trap where every years edition has to have additional on top features. 

Im definitely not gonna buy Long Shot Manager 2019....

18 hours ago, molsen said:

Would be nice but commercially that’s never gonna happen. SI are caught in their own trap where every years edition has to have additional on top features. 

Im definitely not gonna buy Long Shot Manager 2019....

What's the price of FM Touch??  I'd rather pay more for FM Touch mode + Data Editor than with '' full '' game with tons of stuff I don't understand... Damn I'd still play FM 2007, if Data Editor of FM2007 had ability to make leagues LOL

22 hours ago, Luke Cro said:

What's the price of FM Touch??  I'd rather pay more for FM Touch mode + Data Editor than with '' full '' game with tons of stuff I don't understand... Damn I'd still play FM 2007, if Data Editor of FM2007 had ability to make leagues LOL

I'm with you on this on.

1 hour ago, grade said:

I'm with you on this on.

thanks mate :) fact which SI don't realize is that many other FM fans feel this way (like you and me)...  FM shouldn't be about complexity, it should be more about simplicity

they should release annually season updates and focus on game running smooth... and now we have changing game from top to bottom every year

Edited by Luke Cro

13 minutes ago, Luke Cro said:

thanks mate :) fact which SI don't realize is that many other FM fans feel this way (like you and me)...  FM shouldn't be about complexity, it should be more about simplicity

they should release annually season updates and focus on game running smooth... and now we have changing game from top to bottom every year

The game doesn't change from top to bottom every year. Furthermore, you are both referring to versions of the game that still had the sliders. You can complain about a lot of things, but those created a lot more complexity than the current tactical system ever did. 

51 minutes ago, Luke Cro said:

thanks mate :)fact which SI don't realize is that many other FM fans feel this way (like you and me)...  FM shouldn't be about complexity, it should be more about simplicity

Or they realise it very well, and they disagree.  Luckily they concern themselves more with what the player-base wants as a whole, rather than just who shouts the loudest.

2 hours ago, Luke Cro said:

That is a business change, that probably SI wouldn't follow as the current is successful.

I think they are listening. Thus the reason the release at the time FM Classic, which now called Touch.

However I understand the reasoning behind not releasing yet an editor for FM Touch (which for those that don't know, is the SI want the Touch release be equal for every platform (Desktop and Ipad).

So it depends on how that process is going with editor and the technological capabilities of the ipad platform, since the desktop is more then capable as we all know.

Edited by grade

Absolutely love the game. It's insane how detailed this game is and I know I will play this series untill the day I die.

Of course there are still some bugs or things which can improve but overall this game is amazing.

I'm at the end of my rag with this game. If I win then I scrape a victory, if I get beat I get hammered. 3-0 up at half time? Yep, 4-3 loss coming up! I'm sure their are people out there that enjoy the game but I haven't. I've lost count of the 80+ minute goals I've conceded and setting up, what I consider to be a sound tactic only to watch the opposition play like Brazil. Nothing seems to work for me, I've read guides etc in the tactics forum but I just can't manage to do anything.

Okay, someone explain the logic in this to me.

Player has squad status of Rotation. Player has started 10 games in the league. And made 11 sub appearances as the first sub of the game, usually at or right after half time. We've played 22 league games. He's featured in all but one game in the league. He just came to me asking to leave the club, because he doesn't feel he will ever get enough game time. What are you talking about? You've started almost half the games. And played in the other half as a sub, from Rotation status. That is the definition of rotation. How in the world does he have grounds to complain about his playing time? There is only one other player on the roster who plays in his position. So these two guys, barring an injury, are the only two options in that position all season. I don't get this at all.

EDIT: Never mind. After talking to the player the real motivation was him missing home and not feeling like he fit in. If that was the case, why did the news/inbox article, my assistant tell me he wanted to talk about leaving due to his playing time. That makes even less sense if that isn't why the player is actually upset.

Edited by oulzac

I'm currently playing Boston United in the Championship. Sitting in first place in my second season with some very healthy finances 3.5M in the bank and not leaking money because of a ridiculously low wage budget. 29 games played, 12 points ahead of the next team. Got an offer for a player totalling 1.9M, could rise to 2.7M. Chairman accepts because it is 'too good to turn down', no option for me to protest. The player in question was probably my best performer (AP on the right wing) and has now been shipped to Norwich, where he earns 6k p/w more than he did in Boston. Norwich is sitting in 11th place and is not even looking at going up to the PL.

Two questions: 

1) I understand the reasoning behind offers too good to turn down by clubs with shabby finances or not that much money in the bank. However, I would assume that in real life, my club's chairman would prefer being promoted to the PL and grabbing the bucketload of money while doing so rather than selling a player for effectively peanuts and hampering our chances at promotion. 

2) I tried offering the player a new contract but he didn't even want to talk, despite being 6 months away from playing in one of the best leagues in the world. Apparently, he'd rather stay in the Championship. That's some odd reasoning though, isn't it?

Sick of this. Why is this called Football manager? It should be Press Conference Manager. All players disgruntled and want to move to other teams. I bought Dele Alli for 165 millions and i keep receiveing offers of 70 from Man Utd. He is unhappy i didn't let him go. 

Romagnoli bought for 56. I receive offers of 40 mill. Same story. 

Edited by Muerte706

10 hours ago, Muerte706 said:

Sick of this. Why is this called Football manager? It should be Press Conference Manager. All players disgruntled and want to move to other teams. I bought Dele Alli for 165 millions and i keep receiveing offers of 70 from Man Utd. He is unhappy i didn't let him go. 

Romagnoli bought for 56. I receive offers of 40 mill. Same story. 

What team are you? why are players interested in leaving? why are you buying players and still recieving offers for them?

The delay for scouting report can be absurd at times. I started the save with an in-game date of June 5, 2017. I have a pretty good sized scouting time and a bit shortlist, so I asked for a fair number of players to be scouted. In-save date is now August 16, 2017 and I'm still waiting on a report on one particular player I was going to target in this window. Two and a half months. 

20 hours ago, Welshace said:

What team are you? why are players interested in leaving? why are you buying players and still recieving offers for them?

I play with FC Barcelona.

I bought Deligt at the begining of the game. Now he wants to leave for AS Monaco. Since when AS Monaco is a better club than FC Barcelona? FFS all this **** with players wanting to move to other clubs is not funny at all.

I had a really funny story with FM17 when Aubameyang was crying i don't let him move, and after i bought Dybala i wanted to ship him out. Then nobody suddenly was interested about him anymore. 

Edited by Muerte706

22 minutes ago, Muerte706 said:

I bought Deligt at the begining of the game. Now he wants to leave for AS Monaco. Since when AS Monaco is a better club than FC Barcelona? FFS all this **** with players wanting to move to other clubs is not funny at all.

I had a really funny story with FM17 when Aubameyang was crying i don't let him move, and after i bought Dybala i wanted to ship him out. Then nobody suddenly was interested about him anymore. 

But what was the actual reason for him wanting to leave? Did he actually say Monaco is better?

8 minutes ago, Muerte706 said:

No, it's about money. AS Monaco can offer more money. LOL. As we see IRL Monaco buys players for 105 or 145 millions.

So there you go. Your post asked "Since when AS Monaco is a better club than FC Barcelona?" and this is obviously the wrong question as the player told you why he wanted to go.

4 hours ago, Muerte706 said:

What's that? a Barcelona star wanting to leave for a top French side? ... wait a minute...that sounds familiar..

First of all, AS Monaco is not PSG. Second, how many players do we see moving to the French League for more money?  If that was the case, all the good players would be playing in Qatar, or China. 

Let me give you an example from the real life. Umtiti was being linked with Man Utd, with a new contract wanted by him. See the difference, it was Man Utd, not Monaco. He got a new contract, and now he is happy. But i can't stand when a player moans about more money on every occasion a club comes for him.

And let's be serious, a good player would think like: Ok, i will get more money from Monaco but i will play in a less attractive league, for a smaller club. I think that even PSG is a small club compared to Barcelona, Real Madrid or Man Utd, not talking about Monaco who was promoted in top division about a couple of years ago.

Ok, with Deligt maybe i get it. I didn't offered him a contract, and maybe he was unhappy. I am more of a Mourinho style of coach. I fine them alot,  send them to U19 etc. But what about the case of Dele Alli? Bought for 165, receiving offers of 70-80 millions. He is unhappy i didn't accept the offer. When i responded to the offer  with " the club wants to recoup the money..." then that should be a "f..k  off" for the club wanting to buy him. But no, they come over and over again with ridiculous offers. This is a coding problem from the game. The AI tries to unsettle your players with stupid offers, knowing all the tricks. How do i defend on this?

One more thing and i will end this post here. I went looking through a couple of big clubs (Man Utd, Real, Arsenal :) etc.) None of them had any players unhappy other than a couple of rejects that were TL.

3 hours ago, Muerte706 said:

First of all, AS Monaco is not PSG. Second, how many players do we see moving to the French League for more money?  If that was the case, all the good players would be playing in Qatar, or China. 

Let me give you an example from the real life. Umtiti was being linked with Man Utd, with a new contract wanted by him. See the difference, it was Man Utd, not Monaco. He got a new contract, and now he is happy. But i can't stand when a player moans about more money on every occasion a club comes for him.

And let's be serious, a good player would think like: Ok, i will get more money from Monaco but i will play in a less attractive league, for a smaller club. I think that even PSG is a small club compared to Barcelona, Real Madrid or Man Utd, not talking about Monaco who was promoted in top division about a couple of years ago.

Ok, with Deligt maybe i get it. I didn't offered him a contract, and maybe he was unhappy. I am more of a Mourinho style of coach. I fine them alot,  send them to U19 etc. But what about the case of Dele Alli? Bought for 165, receiving offers of 70-80 millions. He is unhappy i didn't accept the offer. When i responded to the offer  with " the club wants to recoup the money..." then that should be a "f..k  off" for the club wanting to buy him. But no, they come over and over again with ridiculous offers. This is a coding problem from the game. The AI tries to unsettle your players with stupid offers, knowing all the tricks. How do i defend on this?

One more thing and i will end this post here. I went looking through a couple of big clubs (Man Utd, Real, Arsenal :) etc.) None of them had any players unhappy other than a couple of rejects that were TL.

I think Neymar disproves your "PSG is a small club compared to Barca / Madrid / Manchester" thesis, but anyway is De Ligt a key player for the club? If he isn't, chances are he would jump at the chance of a pay rise that implicitly promises higher squad status (They're not going to give him a huge pay rise then never play him, you'd assume, he's not Diego Lopez at Milan). Squad players eventually have to move in spite of the success i.e. Morata moving on from Madrid to the new attempting-to-be-self-sustaining Chelsea. Barca / Madrid are on one level and I'd argue Chelsea / Monaco are the on the same level too, so De Ligt leaving you to go there would arguably be very realistic.

For the 2nd part...I agree that some players seem to undervalue themselves, some don't, but how can you complain about the AI generally knowing the same transfer market tricks as you? 

Still playing FM, saw a bit of it at a friend's. Seems to be way too many clicks compared to FM17. Some of the added features are nice, the match engine looks better from what I saw, but whoever designed the menu and placement has really miscalculated imo

• 2 weeks later...

Leicester start of the second season. On August 4, 2018, Andy King asks to speak to me and wants to leave for a new challenge. I agree to this, Transfer List him, and begin offering him out. No one is interested. I offer him out 3 or 4 times. The window has already closed. On August 18, 2018, I get the message that he is upset that I failed to keep my promise. What else does the game expect me to do there? 14 days to get a player sold. Is that reasonable? Is it realistic? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing as a 5th tier French club that I've managed to get up into the 3rd tier with youth only.

We've been running at a deficit of about £400k per season and this year, my chairman has decided to accept bids for my two best players totalling £169k.

I know that chairmen can be interfering and the money issue makes it hard to turn down offers, but can there not be a way of getting the chairman to add a 50% sell on to these? We're losing out and not getting a slice of the pie later either! Surely, the chairmen aren't THAT short-sighted???

• 1 month later...

Again, the tests for a full match. MU-Arsenal and Monaco-Montpellier. Both teams score well in one half and strong-willed victories happen. But the trouble for more than 60 matches the guests did not lose. Even there is no chance. There were draws from time to time, but the victories of Arsenal and Montpellier never came. Manchester with an excellent morale, Arsenal also with excellent morale. Monaco with good morals, Montpellier with excellent morale.

Edited by nikkk

On 05/06/2018 at 06:50, Muerte706 said:

Go the Bilbao route. Put ridiculously high release clauses in every player's contract. When they moan about leaving say "they are aware you have a release clause, you'll be sold when it's met."

1 hour ago, RocheBag said:

Go the Bilbao route. Put ridiculously high release clauses in every player's contract. When they moan about leaving say "they are aware you have a release clause, you'll be sold when it's met."

They all effectively say "fu" to the manager when you do that though. Unless their value is within like £5m of the release clause.

I had this thing with Suso at Milan. He starts with a release clause of 50m. After a while i decided to offer him a new contract, and the agent wanted 48m clause. I accepted it because i didnt want an unhappy player in my squad. Third time i offered him a new contract and i gave more money to the agent and upped the clause to 80m. Bribe always works.

16 hours ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

My FM18 feedback (some cons):

• Stop hitting the woodwork so much. Drives me up the wall, rarely a match goes by where we don't hit the post/bar a couple of times. 
  • Tone it down on the threats by players. With discipline of 20 I'd imagine a youth player would be loathe to even approach me, never mind threaten me.
  • The scouting system is rubbish, I really don't know what you were thinking by changing it. 
  • Let me tell my players that the guy I just sold Wanted. To. Leave. :mad:
  • I do not for one second believe I can "go all the way" after winning an early Champions Cup qualifier. Stop asking.
  • No manager ever in history was asked about the way he dresses in a press conference when joining a new club. Stop asking.
  • A backup GK is exactly that; a backup for IF something happens the 1st choice GK. His job is to sit on the bench. It happens in the real world.
  • Players shouldn't demand a new contract just because another club bid for them, it is absurd how often this happens in FM.
  • Unless you manage Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, and maybe Bayern and ultra-rich Man City... the board should always be absolutely delighted when you win a trophy, especially the league. GIVE ME CREDIT.
  • "keep celebrations to a minimum and focus on future challenges" is the most lazy programming imaginable. Ugh.
  • Can't we have an actual trophy room? Even some pictures of the trophies we win in our careers?

Pros:

• In the words of Jack Twist: "I wish I knew how to quit you".

Nailed it. And one more thing, the UI in FM2018 is terrible!

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Per Annum said:

If my club's record 'sale' wasn't a direct sale but the 50% received as a sell-on fee would the game store this information anywhere? (Should it?)

An interesting question- it probably should, but I suspect that it doesn't

I asked a similar thing about transfer add-ons - so Coutinho has just played his 25th game for Barcelona and Liverpool are due a €5m fee - I was told that the game would include it. So I read into that that add-ones (and probably sell-ons) as long as they are in the DB, the game will take it into account

• 1 month later...

So here's a thing that happened. I'm playing FA Cup semi final. You have three subs to use and get fourth one in extra time. I did three tactical changes during the 90 minutes, only to get my midfielder get an injury that forced him to leave the pitch during the added time. No biggie, I think. I'll just use the fourth sub to bring on a new player in his spot. 

Turns out I couldn't do that, and had to play 10v11 for the whole 30 minutes. Like, what the hell? Good thing the opponent wasn't amazing and I got away with a win on penalties, but that's some harsh punishment for getting an injury.