Sports Interactive Community

N7dFB9a5.jpg

Official Sheffield Wednesday Thread

Carlos had a Dream (though it’d be nice to realise it soon…)

6f7f53fe6341705057a67b264607eaa1.jpg

Name: Sheffield Wednesday

Nickname: The Owls

Year Founded: 1867

Chariman: Dejphon Chansiri

Current Manager: Carlos Carvalhal

Club Captain: Glen Loovens

League: Championship

Media Prediction: TBC

A bit of history

Sheffield Wednesday Football Club is a football club in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England who play in the Championship, the second tier of the English leagues. Sheffield Wednesday are one of the oldest professional clubs in the world and the third oldest club in the English football league.

"The Wednesday", as they were known until 1929, were founding members of The Football Alliance in 1889 and its first champions. They joined The Football League three years later and were also one of the founding members of the Premier League in 1992. Since joining the Football League in 1892, the club has spent most of its history in the top flight of English football but have not played at this level since being relegated in 2000. The Owls have historically been one of England's more successful clubs, and have won four League titles, three FA Cups and one League Cup. Wednesday have also competed at European level, most notably in the UEFA Cup in 1992-93 where the Owls met German club Kaiserslautern amongst others.

The 2014–15 season saw Wednesday welcome a new owner, Thai businessman Dejphon Chansiri, who purchased the club from Milan Mandarić for £37.5m. Chansiri stated his aim to get Wednesday back in the Premier League by 2017, the year of the club's 150th anniversary. Along with replacing existing manager Stuart Gray with Portuguese coach Carlos Carvalhal, he invested heavily in the club's facilities and playing squad, with players such as Fernando Forestieri and Marco Matias arriving for seven-figure sums.  The 2015-16 season saw Wednesday reach the Championship play-off finals with a 6th place finish where they played Hull City at Wembley Stadium.  Unfortunately Hull were too strong for the Owls on the day and Hull were promoted at the Owls' expense.

The 2016-17 season saw the Owls amongst the contenders for promotion and they achieved a creditable 4th placed finish.  This meant the play-offs once more, this time against Yorkshire rivals’ Huddersfield Town.  Two tight semis saw the chance of promotion go down to the lottery of penalties and once more the Owls missed the opportunity to play in the Premier League.

Hillsborough

Since 1899, Sheffield Wednesday have played home matches at Hillsborough Stadium in the north-western suburb of Owlerton, hence their nickname The Owls. Hillsborough is currently an all-seater ground with a capacity of 39,812.

Large

The Squad

Goalkeepers

Kieran Westwood, Joe Wildsmith, Jake Dean, Cameron Dawson

Right Backs

Jack Hunt, Liam Palmer

Left Backs

Daniel Pudil, Morgan Fox

Centre Backs

Tom Lees, Glen Loovens, Vincent Sasso, Sam Hutchinson, Joost Van Aken, Federico Venancio

Right Midfielders and Right Wingers

Marco Matias, George Boyd

Left Midfielders and Left Wingers

Ross Wallace, Adam Reach

Central Midfielders

Kieran Lee, Barry Bannan, Almen Abdi, David Jones, Jacob Butterfield,

Strikers

Fernando Forestieri, Lucas Joao, Atdhe Nuhiu, Gary Hooper, Steven Fletcher, Sam Winnall, Jordan Rhodes

Why Sheffield Wednesday?

As with a lot of teams in the championship, Wednesday are a sleeping giant who have aspirations to be back in the Premier league. With a good sized stadium and a good base of loyal fans, this is a club that should be back in the Premier League (something a lot of clubs believe). The challenge is to get them there and re-establish the Owls as a Premier League team.

Enjoy managing the Owls!

Probably won't be getting the game until Christmas. First save will be with Wednesday though as always. 

Really struggled last year and never once got promoted. Are the finances as hard to work with as they were last year? 

Great thread btw. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be many people wanting to play as us 

finally managed to get round to starting a save with the Owls....  Will post something once the transfer window has shut.

(given that "Carlos had a dream" but got sacked, maybe it's time to rethink the header!!)

Just started a new save but with a twist that I'm not going to sign anybody(might make Venancio & Butterfield permanent) purely promoting from youth team and try to turn us in to a European powerhouse. 

Should be fun and just played my 1st game of season winning away at Preston 5-1 with Dawson, O'Grady, Hirst(2 goals) starting with Penney coming off the bench.

Going to be a long term save this one until FM19 no doubt provided I don't get the sack of course.

Just started a save with Wednesday too.  Be interested to know what tactics you guys are using, i'm kinda struggling myself.

Play with wing backs and mix up with either 2 or 3 up front but seems 3 up top are the better formations at the moment.

With the new update I have decided to restart my Owls save with the current squad.  My aim is to start better than Jos Lukukay has so far which isn't exactly going to be difficult.... :(

New update, new save game, same old choice of team...

I, personally, do not think the current squad is up to much. So pretty much as soon as I get my 'prep' done, I start the rebuilding process, which involves selling (or in some players cases giving them away) players and trying to buy young players with decent ability levels.

I end up spending ~six million~ but can easily recoup that with player sales, and often the players I'm signing lower the wage bill significantly.

Have signed some absolutely cracking young players (mainly Spanish) for quite little (often a buy out clauses which is sub one million).

Tactically, I enjoy a 4-2-3-1.

Four defenders, who primarily defend (often have a ball playing centre back, or both).

Central midfielder next to a deep lying play maker <3.

Attacking midfielder / advanced play maker, to his left an inside forward, to his right an old fashioned winger.

Complete forward up top.

Quite a few team tactics too.

Started a new game on my MacBook Pro this weekend (I mean, what else is there to do while I'm not at work for the summer).

Managed to raise funds by selling players, and invested in young players and lowering the wages at the same time. However, there are a number of older players, who have no place in my team/squad, that I cannot offload and the board are unwilling to allow the termination of their contracts (I'm looking at you Dave Jones).

However, largely pleased with the business I've done.

Flicking between 4-3-3 of sorts and 4-2-3-1.

Forget how bad injuries are for Wednesday.