FM18 Sheffield Wednesday Thread

rlipscombe

N7dFB9a5.jpg

Official Sheffield Wednesday Thread

Carlos had a Dream (though it’d be nice to realise it soon…)

6f7f53fe6341705057a67b264607eaa1.jpg

Name: Sheffield Wednesday

Nickname: The Owls

Year Founded: 1867

Chariman: Dejphon Chansiri

Current Manager: Carlos Carvalhal

Club Captain: Glen Loovens

League: Championship

Media Prediction: TBC

A bit of history

Sheffield Wednesday Football Club is a football club in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England who play in the Championship, the second tier of the English leagues. Sheffield Wednesday are one of the oldest professional clubs in the world and the third oldest club in the English football league.

"The Wednesday", as they were known until 1929, were founding members of The Football Alliance in 1889 and its first champions. They joined The Football League three years later and were also one of the founding members of the Premier League in 1992. Since joining the Football League in 1892, the club has spent most of its history in the top flight of English football but have not played at this level since being relegated in 2000. The Owls have historically been one of England's more successful clubs, and have won four League titles, three FA Cups and one League Cup. Wednesday have also competed at European level, most notably in the UEFA Cup in 1992-93 where the Owls met German club Kaiserslautern amongst others.

The 2014–15 season saw Wednesday welcome a new owner, Thai businessman Dejphon Chansiri, who purchased the club from Milan Mandarić for £37.5m. Chansiri stated his aim to get Wednesday back in the Premier League by 2017, the year of the club's 150th anniversary. Along with replacing existing manager Stuart Gray with Portuguese coach Carlos Carvalhal, he invested heavily in the club's facilities and playing squad, with players such as Fernando Forestieri and Marco Matias arriving for seven-figure sums.  The 2015-16 season saw Wednesday reach the Championship play-off finals with a 6th place finish where they played Hull City at Wembley Stadium.  Unfortunately Hull were too strong for the Owls on the day and Hull were promoted at the Owls' expense.

The 2016-17 season saw the Owls amongst the contenders for promotion and they achieved a creditable 4th placed finish.  This meant the play-offs once more, this time against Yorkshire rivals’ Huddersfield Town.  Two tight semis saw the chance of promotion go down to the lottery of penalties and once more the Owls missed the opportunity to play in the Premier League.

Hillsborough

Since 1899, Sheffield Wednesday have played home matches at Hillsborough Stadium in the north-western suburb of Owlerton, hence their nickname The Owls. Hillsborough is currently an all-seater ground with a capacity of 39,812.

Large

The Squad

Goalkeepers

Kieran Westwood, Joe Wildsmith, Jake Dean, Cameron Dawson

Right Backs

Jack Hunt, Liam Palmer

Left Backs

Daniel Pudil, Morgan Fox

Centre Backs

Tom Lees, Glen Loovens, Vincent Sasso, Sam Hutchinson, Joost Van Aken, Federico Venancio

Right Midfielders and Right Wingers

Marco Matias, George Boyd

Left Midfielders and Left Wingers

Ross Wallace, Adam Reach

Central Midfielders

Kieran Lee, Barry Bannan, Almen Abdi, David Jones, Jacob Butterfield,

Strikers

Fernando Forestieri, Lucas Joao, Atdhe Nuhiu, Gary Hooper, Steven Fletcher, Sam Winnall, Jordan Rhodes

Why Sheffield Wednesday?

As with a lot of teams in the championship, Wednesday are a sleeping giant who have aspirations to be back in the Premier league. With a good sized stadium and a good base of loyal fans, this is a club that should be back in the Premier League (something a lot of clubs believe). The challenge is to get them there and re-establish the Owls as a Premier League team.

Enjoy managing the Owls!

• 4 weeks later...

Probably won't be getting the game until Christmas. First save will be with Wednesday though as always. 

Really struggled last year and never once got promoted. Are the finances as hard to work with as they were last year? 

Great thread btw. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be many people wanting to play as us 

• 1 month later...

Just started a new save but with a twist that I'm not going to sign anybody(might make Venancio & Butterfield permanent) purely promoting from youth team and try to turn us in to a European powerhouse. 

Should be fun and just played my 1st game of season winning away at Preston 5-1 with Dawson, O'Grady, Hirst(2 goals) starting with Penney coming off the bench.

Going to be a long term save this one until FM19 no doubt provided I don't get the sack of course.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New update, new save game, same old choice of team...

I, personally, do not think the current squad is up to much. So pretty much as soon as I get my 'prep' done, I start the rebuilding process, which involves selling (or in some players cases giving them away) players and trying to buy young players with decent ability levels.

I end up spending ~six million~ but can easily recoup that with player sales, and often the players I'm signing lower the wage bill significantly.

Have signed some absolutely cracking young players (mainly Spanish) for quite little (often a buy out clauses which is sub one million).

Tactically, I enjoy a 4-2-3-1.

Four defenders, who primarily defend (often have a ball playing centre back, or both).

Central midfielder next to a deep lying play maker <3.

Attacking midfielder / advanced play maker, to his left an inside forward, to his right an old fashioned winger.

Complete forward up top.

Quite a few team tactics too.

• 4 months later...

Started a new game on my MacBook Pro this weekend (I mean, what else is there to do while I'm not at work for the summer).

Managed to raise funds by selling players, and invested in young players and lowering the wages at the same time. However, there are a number of older players, who have no place in my team/squad, that I cannot offload and the board are unwilling to allow the termination of their contracts (I'm looking at you Dave Jones).

However, largely pleased with the business I've done.

Flicking between 4-3-3 of sorts and 4-2-3-1.

Forget how bad injuries are for Wednesday.

• 11 months later...

Could not see a Football Manager 2019 thread! So I'll post my update here!

Started a new game on my MacBook (as opposed to my PC game), I was torn between Wednesday (I'm an Owl) or Genoa (who I adore for no reason).

Started a new game; totally want to rebuild this club and team. New staff, new players, and hopefully some good progress.

Goalkeepers; Westwood, Wildsmith, and Dawson. The only area of the team I am pretty happy with. I think Wildsmith will become my number one, but Westwood still has a bit more in him which means Dawson is free to go (might bring someone in if they are super cheap as third choice), as I need money to reinvest in a poor squad.

Defence, first choice would be; Iorfa, Lees, Hutchinson/Aken, Thorniley… I love Pudil, but besides him the rest are free to go. Hector is on loan, and Penney has some potential, Fox, Baker, Palmer, (and even Aken if I get a good enough offer) are all free to go. I want to bring in a young centre back, and two new full backs as it's a real weakness in the side. That would leave me with; New LB, New RB, New CB, Lees, Hutchinson, Iorfa, Thorniley, Hector, Lazaar. Two right backs, three left backs, four centre backs.

Midfield... what midfield? I play a DM (DLP) and two central (BBM) and (Advanced playmaker). So... that is Pelupessy, Lee (injured), and Bannan…

Jones and Abdi are free to go (though who will take them?) I desperately need the wages. Reach unfortunately does not fit in to my system and should fetch good money (I'm looking at you Burnley), and Onomah is on loan. Onomah will essentially be covering for Lee but this is the biggest part of the squad that needs major investment.

I ideally need a back up to Bannan (play maker), Lee (Box to Box), and a first choice DLP at DM, and then I have Onomah and another for cover? I might be leaving myself too short here.

I play a single advanced forward, with two inside forwards in the AML/AMR positions. So first choice, Forestieri, Hooper (injured), and Aarons (loan). Boyd, Joao, and Matias as back up. Fletcher, Nuhiu, and Winnall are all free to go. The first two do not fit my style of football at all and the last not good enough. However, Hooper is long term injured (Christmas), and Joao is out for ~3 months~. So that leaves me with no fit strikers or none that can play the role I want. Selling Fletcher should generate enough money for a young forward (or two hopefully). Boyd is free to go, along with Nuhiu (sad face), Winnall, and Matias. I need one maybe two AMR/L players or players who can play there at least.

So all in all...

I'm looking to offload; 14

(GK) Dawson

(DR) Palmer (DR) Baker (DL) Fox (DL) Penney (DC) Aken

(MC) Jones (MC) Abdi (injured) (MC/ML) Reach

(AMR) Matias (AML) Boyd

(ST) Fletcher (ST) Nuhiu (ST) Winnall (injured)

Looking to bring in; 10 maybe 11 or 12 depending on who's available, also to cover long term for the loans who will return.

(RB) (LB) (CB)

(DM) (MC - Advanced Playmaker) (MC - Box to Box) (MC - cover)

(AMR) (AML) (ST - Advanced Forward)

Sigurd Gronli for one of your MC positions would be a quality signing and for a young RB with lots of potential you could do worse than Frederick Norrestrand (Brøndby u19) can be picked up on a free from July 1st but won’t sign until Jan

Good luck with Sheffield Wednesday I have too much of an emotional attachment so can never seem to manage us 😩 WAWAW

Update;

So... I have managed to sell; 13.5m

Reach (5m), Fletcher (3m), Aken (1.5m), Dawson (1m), Palmer (1m), Fox (1m :lol:), Boyd (500k), Penny (250k), Matias (250k)… had to give Jones away (free), and loaned out Baker and Nuhiu…

In the process of selling Nielson and Preston from the U23 squad as clubs want them and I won't use them (shaves a bit of the wage budget), but I'm not looking for fee's for them.

Looking at bringing in;

Glover (AMR), Baeza (AML (retrain)), Merola (ST), Rogers (ST)

Gaspar (APL), Antonio (BBM), Blesa (DM (retrain))… I have offered to take McTominay on loan, but I really want Garner from Manchester United but he's too expensive... what is with the crazy money for young British players!?

Ermacora (LB, bloody love this guy), Armini (DC), Norrestrand (RB ;), he is along with the LB two of my 'go to' young, cheap full backs) … I also picked up Ramos as a third (but probably long term first choice) GK.

In addition, I've put a cheeky bid in (and negotiated it down) of 5m for Clarke from Leeds. I'm really wanting a quality wide man and I'd give him first team football straight away.

I think I've spent around ~7-7.5m~ (not including Clarke), and I've paid Abdi to leave (1.4m)

I think this is what the squad is going to be looking like;

GK: Westwood, Wildsmith, Ramos

DF: Lees, Hutchinson, Hector, Pudil, Armini, Thorniley, Ermacora, Lazaar, Iorfa, Norrestrand

M: Lee, Bannan, Pelupessy, Onomah, Gaspar, Antonio, Blesa… and potentially McTominay though I am praying I can persuade / afford Garner.

FW: Forrestieri, Aarons, Hooper, Joao, Glover, Baeza, Merola, Rogers... and hopefully Clarke.

I wanted young players (I can hopefully hold on to some, but I'm aware that some will want to move on/make financial sense to move them on so picking up players with high resale ability was important), but I wanted to keep experience. Westwood, Lees, Pudil, Hector, Hutchinson are all experienced. Bannan, Lee, Pelupessy have experience in midfield, and Hooper and Fessi up top.

I think, think, this is what my squad will look like... I really need to try and avoid injuries (Hooper, Lee, Joao, are all injured for 6/3/3 months) at the start.

I would love another cheap inside forward to cover left and right, but I have no idea. I'm also considering seeing how much the young RB from Derby would cost as I'm light there with Iorfa and a sixteen year old.

52 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

I would love another cheap inside forward to cover left and right, but I have no idea. I'm also considering seeing how much the young RB from Derby would cost as I'm light there with Iorfa and a sixteen year old.

Maybe Antonio Marin for AML/R? Depending on the dB your using and I signed Jayden Bogle from Derby for Norwich for £2.2m structured deal with £850k up front

I doubt Bogle will come, he's not interested in a move.

I'll have a look at Marin, thank you.

Fingers crossed Clarke signs, there is a young RB at Norwich but they want more than 5m and that is above my limit. Most I've spent on a player so far is around 1.5m

Neither Bogle or Aarons wanted to join, despite managing to agree (what I consider) decent deals (3m / 8.5m) respectively. I'll get by without.

Jack Clarke and McTominay signed (5m spread out as all my deals have been, and a season long loan).

Archived