[FM18] 12 Years A Slav

wynter

Ataturk Olimpyat.

It haunts his dreams.

They were so close, yet so far. The goalposts denying them twice at the death. That sensation of euphoria only to be immediately drowned out by despair as the ball beat the keeper yet stopped, the goal shaking as it cannoned off the frame and out of play. They rushed back but there was no time.

A whistle was blown.

Defeat.

He wandered through Europe since that day. Bulgaria so consumed in mourning didn’t realise the date the League was meant to start again had come… And so it passed unplayed. A competition still not set, a transfer window still open and a cup yet to be drawn.

A month behind schedule.

Two…

Three….

Bulgaria refuses to recover and so he wanders…

Not only across Europe, but also through time and space until he finds himself in a world so similar to his own and yet so very different.

And still they call to him.

This time he’s a year older. A year wiser.

His players have lost a year under his wing, some of them have endured, emerging stronger, better. Others though have been unable to escape the ravages of time as their potential gives way to the void.

He shall persevere though.

For himself. For Bulgaria.

But most importantly…

For Slavia.

thumb2-slavia-sofia-4k-logo-parva-liga-s

Coming Soon...

2017 Edition

So yes, ran this last year had a ball. We got to the CL Final and lost only for the entire game to bug out and not load the league for the next season right as we were in prime CL Winning territory.

This year, we're going one better :hammer:

PRICE TAKES CHARGE OF SLAVIA - THE INTRODUCTION

af3f6c52411ebf170bae8caf8c2819fa.png

Slavia Sofia are the oldest sporting club in the Capital of Bulgaria, first formed in 1913. Slavia operate out of The Slavia, a 24000 capacity stadium, which is under renovations during the first season. From this season we'll be playing out of the Vasil Levski, the national team stadium and home to Septemvri Sofia. 

They are a club with a large emphasis on Youth Development, the two philosophies I must adhere to from day one are to Develop Players through the club, and also to sign a large number of youngsters to play a role in the squad. Two philosophies which are slightly contradictory but speak to the greater philosophy of developing the future of Bulgarian Football.

61dc5721a0426a0f8fb685e37cf32e25.png

A squad with a lot of quality youth on hand already. The best prospects in no significant order are:

Stergiakis

Velkov

Hristov

Krastev

With two high quality CBs backed by a great keeper and a striker with bagloads of potential, the spine of the team is relatively stable and strengthening rapidly. Locking them down on long-term contracts has been an instant priority.

WHY SLAVIA?

When I first took this on last year the save was a Club and Country project. Bulgaria had a lot of history in World Football, the Golden generation led by Stoichkov finishing 4th in the 1994 World Cup for example. The 90's are generally considered the peak of Bulgaria's National Team and I wanted to bring that peak back and aim at Winning A World Cup with them, or establishing them as a dominant force in International Football.

Slavia was a strong mid-table team I knew relatively little about and I picked them on a whim, only to find they were perfect for my ambitions. Strong Youth already present and a growing focus on developing Juniors meant I had a ready-made platform.

Cue a decade of ingame fun, strong development and the fact I wasn't able to win the Champions League with them last year immediately made them my starting point for 18.

AIMS

- Win the Champions League

- Develop Bulgarian Football

- Become one of the Top 5 Leagues in European Football

- Win the World Cup

TACTICS

The three tactics I'll be using for this season are still being developed, but the most successful one we've had so far is an Asymmetric 4-1-2-3

e4fef2361962b2a87ac5fa7c0d84b416.png

We look to assert control over the game, dominating possession and the midfield bodies do a great job of both turning over the ball and keeping us pressing in the enemies half. 

At home we'll be deploying The Symplegades

dab4c8f549349f75f1283ef0612ec8c8.png

A creation from last year which focuses heavily on attacking play. As it stands though we lack the squad capable of carrying it out to it's fullest potential. I have however, shifted the DMR from a Roaming Playmaker to a Segundo Volante because the description of the role sounds exactly like what I was pushing for last year. Interesting to see if the way I envisioned my DM back then is actually viable for this tactic.

Lastly I was using this in my Dafuge challenge and we were mauling teams in the right circumstances, it felt natural to bring it over here and see how it does as the opposition and the players using the tactic improve as well.

Introducing the 5-3-1-1

9da7c262116bc731b7bbd716eb44c782.png

All very attacking systems, all with fluid football at the heart of them and encouraging a lot of creative freedom. The 5-3-1-1 and the 4-1-2-3 are very defensively stable though and tough to score on once they're fully understood and implemented by the players. It'll be a race between the season starting and how quickly the side can adapt as to how successful we'll be from Day One.

10 hours ago, DodgeeD said:

Best of luck - hope you can have a bug-free run this time!

Thanks! Hope so as well haha, but I wouldn't mind a 3rd bent at it if tragedy strikes :lol:

10 hours ago, rimisark said:

Greetings from Bulgaria, mate. In terms of your youth progress will be better to play with activated Third league.

Cheers for the info, unfortunately I'm in too deep to want to start again so I'll just play it by ear. 

If you have the time though any interesting info you'd be willing to share about Slavia? My google searches generally turn up nothing, or are entirely in Bulgarian haha. 

1 hour ago, wynter said:

9da7c262116bc731b7bbd716eb44c782.png

Jesus, who let @Benjoe into the tactics room? :lol:

Fun fact: The word "slave" comes from "Slav", since in medieval times Slavic peoples were frequently enslaved by Byzantines and others. So your title sort of has the same effect as the movie... but it also means you have to wait exactly 12 years to complete it :D.

In all seriousness, good luck man! I'm definitely following along.

4ca2168a27cf3cd45b5f1fdf1c50c492.png

We've started strong, kicking things off immediately vs Levski was interesting and after going down 2-0 before half time we were able to fight back in the last 10 after a switch in tactics and some inspired play after a half-time spray.

a73ea9ecb75b87a335e3ac1c68ead4d9.png

f729fa233f325e8c7f5195776c3e72de.png

We dropped points to Beroe in the last five after a calamity at the back and we should really be on 11 points. As it is, we're unbeaten and the squad is slowly coming together. Fully behind me in dynamics, but the team is still learning to play together, so focusing on Team Cohesion is a priority.

51fe2a2d8dc3df28bb73448b8f2b1fe1.png

On the player front Krastev is improving rapidly. He hasn't been a standout on the field, but if he continues his current rate of development I've got a brilliant player on our hands. 

a23ccad36f032473d0bab349dae96728.png

c3b88b97c824710212af08f087957a6b.png

A big month, taking on each of the top 3. Massive win over CSKA but we conceded late vs Etar again and the match vs Ludogorets is really one we should have won. Dropping points we should have picked up is frustrating and to still be unbeaten yet only 4th is not something to really boast about.

ba9751571f396662ad50160de9c37622.png

In the European Places, but losing ground to 1st and 2nd despite a victory and a draw against them.

Player of the Month

Andrea Hristov

9d801620fbbb795fcb07e8eae05c5c19.png

Also has me as his favoured personnel, took a decade in 17 before he liked me, this time just a few months <3

October

Scheduling was a ***** this month. 

705be0ea2beeeea1bab351390641eac4.png

Squad reduced to 19 as a result of injuries and Levski away on the last day of a horrific stretch of games. 3 in 6 days, mass rotation but somehow we maintained our unbeaten streak heading towards the winter break and some much needed rest..

715369594dc4076a00680ae780484852.png

Ludogorets are also unbeaten and life is tragically unfair. Second place would still be a positive result though after pre-season predictions of 8th and Relegation Playoffs.

ad5dccb360a7c718ad0bf4d14b02addc.png

Semi-Final is shaping up to be an interesting affair if we can get past our Feeder Club. A genuine tilt at the Bulgarian Cup and our first piece of silverware is on offer.

WINTER BREAK

9f391d12ab6f9d4c1bc86c7bd452f47e.png

We're keeping it alive as we head into the Winter Break. The streak has hit 21 League Games unbeaten and we're actually closing in on a record as the highest number in Bulgarian History is 23/26 matches.

c3796a255c101a1acea02edf0648669c.png

And our 23rd match will be against Ludogorets, away from home. IF we manage to pick up a win though, that could have major implications for the run in to the title.

8d32f9b0ed5e17b3eda26bd0c790c8af.png

As the table shows, we're 9 Points Back with 5 left in the regular season. For those unaware of Bulgaria though the league splits into 6 teams in the Championship Playoff and 10 more games are played between the best teams in the division before a winner is finally announced. The rest go into the Relegation Playoffs to decide who stays and who goes out of the league this year. So in reality we're 9 back with 15 left to play and we have 3 games left against Ludogorets. Things could change in an instant if we find that extra gear and turn those draws into victories.

Player of the Update

Ivan Minchev

The heart of our midfield and brilliant all-round player. He's slotting in everywhere and performing at a brilliant level of consistency.

4ae67f37a8f24d9dcbe7d10b3a26d574.png

On 11/13/2017 at 13:55, DavidBeckham said:

Great work so far mate! Fantastic that you're still unbeaten in the league after 16 games! :applause:

Cheers, would prefer to be winning a few more though!

END OF REGULAR SEASON

79759c9f647eb7dbdefb78e01889af19.png

We did it.

6a25de45a221a77a27be56d5d1f56002.png

26 Games Unbeaten. Fantastic Effort. 

As a bonus though, I was wrong and the playoffs are actually counted so we can definitely push on for 36 games unbeaten. Difficulty of competition is about to raise through the roof as Cherno, Ludo, CSKA and Levski are strong teams but we've gotten through them before so I hope we can do it again.

The Ludogorets game was a tense one, we conceded early but pushed back and managed to equalise in the 2nd half coming close to taking the lead a few times in the dying ten. Full time came and we were unable to find a way past their keeper but at least they didn't gain any ground.

In the process we'd shredded the gap to 2 points behind Ludogorets and the first game of the Championship Playoff came around...

57be267089d271a4b4f5101ab01d2d07.png

What a time to take the top of the table.

ad1e6f5d416f809abd9ad7519741fa03.png

Player of the Update

Andrea Hristov

b145d6d533e1f5b86f836459e95db273.png

Sublime Development. Quickly coming into his own and his partnership with Velkov at the back is nearly impenetrable at times. Only cause for concern is his contract demanded a 450k release clause and I need to deal with that soon before the big clubs circle.

1 hour ago, oriole01 said:

Pretty sure Plovdiv's logo is incorrect, that's the alternate Beroe logo they're showing in the game for them.

PFC Lokomotiv Plovdiv crest.png
That's the real one.

Huh, didn't know that. 

Might want to raise it in the Metallic Logo Thread @oriole01? That's the one I'm using :) 

11 hours ago, wynter said:

END OF REGULAR SEASON

79759c9f647eb7dbdefb78e01889af19.png

We did it.

6a25de45a221a77a27be56d5d1f56002.png

26 Games Unbeaten. Fantastic Effort. 

As a bonus though, I was wrong and the playoffs are actually counted so we can definitely push on for 36 games unbeaten. Difficulty of competition is about to raise through the roof as Cherno, Ludo, CSKA and Levski are strong teams but we've gotten through them before so I hope we can do it again.

The Ludogorets game was a tense one, we conceded early but pushed back and managed to equalise in the 2nd half coming close to taking the lead a few times in the dying ten. Full time came and we were unable to find a way past their keeper but at least they didn't gain any ground.

In the process we'd shredded the gap to 2 points behind Ludogorets and the first game of the Championship Playoff came around...

57be267089d271a4b4f5101ab01d2d07.png

What a time to take the top of the table.

ad1e6f5d416f809abd9ad7519741fa03.png

Player of the Update

Andrea Hristov

b145d6d533e1f5b86f836459e95db273.png

Sublime Development. Quickly coming into his own and his partnership with Velkov at the back is nearly impenetrable at times. Only cause for concern is his contract demanded a 450k release clause and I need to deal with that soon before the big clubs circle.

You're killing it so far. Great win over Ludogorets.

14th of April

Round 29

CSKA Sofia vs Slavia Sofia

49th Minute

Price is marauding his touchline, barking instructions at his players as he urges them on against the Armeytsyte. A tense match between two bitter rivals has them headed into the early stages of the 2nd half locked at 0-0. 

But What's This?

Triple Substitution in the 49th minute of play, Price using all his cards at once as he drags some of his players from the field and forces them onto the bench. A complete switch of his midfield and striking options after a dull 50 minutes consisting of but a single chance. It's an early gamble, but it looks to play off as Yomov plays it through to Dimitrov who turns and takes a first time shot outside the box that whistles past the post! First decent chance of the game!

55th Minute

Karabelyov is down! The Slavia Midfielder forced off with Injury and Slavia are down to 10!

Seeking a draw Price drops his creative mid to the centre of the pitch, stranding Dimitrov up front.

Can they hold out?

b84a9355c3844e2a7bf38ef1a79a2828.png

It seems we do bleed after all...

017cbf8c3f4e1f3dc42565df33e616cf.png

32 Games Unbeaten, our first loss as Manager.

Now to focus on securing the title.

(Inspired by @Jimbokav1971)

5724c4027c09f88557dc4e88d1654d5d.png

Loss to CSKA Aside they can't stop us. The match vs Beroe was a masterclass response and immediately arrested fears of a poor run of results. The Cherno More game was a gritty one which we toughed out and got the result we needed. We're doing everything champions need to do.

Which means that with 5 Games left we've taken a 6 point lead.

998b12224b1fea2483ce690a0265d5db.png

Saving the Bulgarian Cup for another update down the line.

1a530c54f55d411c5ed3c99aae18753e.png

Stergiakis gets coverage on this update with some sparkling development. He's turning into a wall at the back, only conceding 21 in 24 games and the future with him, Velkov and Hristov looks bright, or very secure at least.

On 11/16/2017 at 13:32, DavidBeckham said:

Would be great if you can hang onto Andrea Hristov! He's developing along nicely and I can see him growing into a good Champions League level center-back! 

Agree completely, he was brilliant last year and I was pleased to say it stayed the same :) Massive part of the immediate future 

On 11/16/2017 at 02:18, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

You're killing it so far. Great win over Ludogorets.

Thanks! I was happy to finally get one over them. 

On 11/16/2017 at 14:50, kidthekid said:

Great start. I love your tactics, 4-1-2-3 or 4-2-3-1 is so mainstream.

Haha, I used 4-2-3-1 almost exclusively for the last 3 FMs until I decided to experiment late 17. Makes it a lot more fun for me personally since I need to be a little more creative with instructions etc; to make it click  

End of Season - League

e2294332a2f418af873026837d17ccc9.png

A second loss... To the same culprits. Otherwise we managed to survive the rest of the playoffs relatively well. Barring one major incident,

2beeb62b4ea072e207684935368ddeb5.png

4-6 Months out and given the length of the injury you could almost say it's perfectly timed given we have 2 months of inaction due to the Summer Break. Of course a broken leg is never ideal at all and is a massive hamper on development. So it's still frustrating from that perspective.

But how did we finish the season?

915f65a6792e9d22c1dd5ae4708a4059.png

Champions and CL Qualification achieved, destroying pre-season expectations of 8th. A season fueled by a great, cohesive squad and some brilliant development.

e6f7a1a2f8c2cec5d09aea5404115fd3.png

Budgets

ad4974c8247a24dd85d3b1ca9fdba8eb.png

Minor 2k Increase but is enough to renegotiate contracts and tie some core players to the squad. Sadly we won't be able to buy any high quality players, but the squad as is can compete in the Qualifiers. It's just the depth that I'm particularly concerned with and will be looking to exploit the loan market. Particularly seeking a new Attacking Midfielder and a Right Back to add depth in core positions.

Player of The Season

Ivan Minchev

Good enough to be the Bulgarian League's Player of the Season and good enough for me. The beating heart of my midfield, able to play across all three centre mid positions and up front with absolutely no issues at all. Versatile and Effective.

c2868f8a7033fbda8981e82d381035d9.png

1 hour ago, wynter said:

But how did we finish the season?

915f65a6792e9d22c1dd5ae4708a4059.png

Champions and CL Qualification achieved, destroying pre-season expectations of 8th. A season fueled by a great, cohesive squad and some brilliant development.

e6f7a1a2f8c2cec5d09aea5404115fd3.png

Budgets

ad4974c8247a24dd85d3b1ca9fdba8eb.png

Minor 2k Increase but is enough to renegotiate contracts and tie some core players to the squad. Sadly we won't be able to buy any high quality players, but the squad as is can compete in the Qualifiers. It's just the depth that I'm particularly concerned with and will be looking to exploit the loan market. Particularly seeking a new Attacking Midfielder and a Right Back to add depth in core positions.

Player of The Season

Ivan Minchev

Good enough to be the Bulgarian League's Player of the Season and good enough for me. The beating heart of my midfield, able to play across all three centre mid positions and up front with absolutely no issues at all. Versatile and Effective.

c2868f8a7033fbda8981e82d381035d9.png

Nicely done. Good luck in the CL next season.

Outstanding first season! Ludogorets looked like they were going to run away with it but faded away and an excellent finish for you. CSKA are your bogey team it seems.

You've got some fantastic young players already; how was the youth intake? I love the formations and roles you're trying out.

I did the youth challenge with Litex so I'm rather fond of the Bulgarian League. KUTGW and I will be following!

Bulgarian Cup

d3d077186b6bde764400f5a4e2218999.png

Easy run to the final, with our most difficult opponent our Feeder Club Montana. Penalties left me a nervous wreck but we won the match and strolled past Cherno to set up  final against a familiar foe.

bul__ludogorets_400x250.jpg

The match was a tight one. Down early after a corner, Dimitrov levelled the scores on the verge of half-time and the game was left at 1-1 going into the 2nd half. The whole match was markedly even, as had been the staple of almost every match against them this season before we finally broke through in the 85th through an Andrea Hristov header, snatching the game off a set piece.

2-1 Bulgarian Cup Winners

1ba16c0e09c8bcda5d59ac963b2e00ca.png

8015c68c5868d432e4991380e1a832f0.png

Great first season, but we're just getting started. Our real focus is Europe and when we've been matched up against BATE Borisov in the First Playoff.

ecbe13ab910ead4f0d3c6530b3f18dee.png

20 hours ago, smp20 said:

Outstanding first season! Ludogorets looked like they were going to run away with it but faded away and an excellent finish for you. CSKA are your bogey team it seems.

You've got some fantastic young players already; how was the youth intake? I love the formations and roles you're trying out.

I did the youth challenge with Litex so I'm rather fond of the Bulgarian League. KUTGW and I will be following!

Thanks! I forgot to screen the Intake but we did get 4 5* players. I'm only going to be bringing to into the first team though as they're in positions I regularly use ala AMC and MC.

My Personal Favourite is this guy

Kostadin Vasilev

f6dc8e8d1a4cace38e2af6d30ad93b08.png

Bit of a horror personality but he's immense from a techncial perspective, especially factoring in his age. He's already had a few games from the playoffs and he did moderately well, barring a disastrous 4.8 AR when we lost to CSKA 3-0.

Meanwhile

Mihail Shokolarov

3dee8c2669c34e3383f98b6ec737c84f.png

All the makings of a great AMC in the future, need to work out how to slot him into the team but he'll be getting game time in the first team next season onwards. Less than Vasilev though.

On 11/20/2017 at 01:02, Keano16 said:

Absolute smashing first season!

21 hours ago, mjaferrie said:

Incredible first season!

On 11/20/2017 at 02:44, yatesiboi37 said:

Amazing start to this! I have always found managing in Bulgaria difficult but you are absolutely smashing it!

On 11/20/2017 at 08:06, Sheriff7 said:

Congrats for wining the league mate against strong side Ludogorets!!Great start!!

Thanks everyone!

20 hours ago, smp20 said:

Yeah, CSKA are giving me a little trouble but it does keep the domestic league a lot more entertaining which is good. Looking at changing up the formations a little too, and I'll probably cover that in a future update :) Mezzala is a role I am loving at the moment!

10 minutes ago, wynter said:

Kostadin Vasilev

f6dc8e8d1a4cace38e2af6d30ad93b08.png

Bit of a horror personality but he's immense from a techncial perspective, especially factoring in his age. He's already had a few games from the playoffs and he did moderately well, barring a disastrous 4.8 AR when we lost to CSKA 3-0.

He has the makings of a great Mezzala. 15 passing and 12 vision at his age is brilliant.

Transfers, Europe and A Tactical Revolution

Transfers

405c297b624759734388a9f436544f58.png

A productive transfer window, our main focus being to add depth in key positions and also to improve the quality of the team. I also had an eye on some talented youngsters and looked through the amateur teams given our lack of actual funds to work with.

Milen Borisov was the best of the bunch we brought in and has a lot of potential. Not sure how good he'll turn out in the future, but it's something to work with at at least.

cb19e24ac94b9797721f5869630c94d2.png

In addition to youth we decided to strengthen a few spots. Bringing in Naydenov, Terziev and Adzic. Mostly adding a strong centre back to work with Hristov and Velkov in our 3 man system. Adzic adds another option out right for our alternative tactics.

Most importantly though I was able to finally get my hands on Valentin Yoskov, my favourite player in FM17 and if I'm lucky I'll be able to coax out his max potential.

b554509e3736025cf3c9153d7712885e.png

EUROPE

b86fcda7393e42c9d2c09152179dc342.png

We've had an incredible draw. Working our way through to the Playoffs where we'll be taking on PSV for a chance at the Champions League Group Stage. Zrinjski gave us a minor scare but BATE and Qarabag were easy targets and we've cruised through a relatively hectic pre-season. The sheer volume of games though isn't ideal and our squad doesn't have the money for the depth I need. Predicting a struggle regardless of whether we land in the CL or Europa League Group Stage.

TACTICS

With Adzic and adding an extra option out right in Naydenov we have some talented wide options and I'm going to be using them to full effect.

Introducing the system I want to win the Champions League with, combining my favourite player roles into a potent threat.

4-1-4-1 Assymetric

6605caa851a60371fa9122ef1b0efa8c.png

Attacking Wingbacks surge forward, hugging the line. This allows the Raumdeuter to cut inside and Mezzala to shift forward and provide a third option alongside the Advanced Forward while the Enganche serves as the anchor of the offense and plays in the attackers. Meanwhile the BWM and the Regista recycle possession and allow us to keep pressing the play. It keeps our prior philosophies of high pressing, attacking play and elevates it to yet another level of potential insanity/offensive viability.

BUT

It's a system that we'll only fully transition to over the next few seasons as we slowly increase the quality of the first team and get players capable of playing in these positions. Raumdeuter is an example of this issue as our best option has no idea how to play it. If I can get a Regen player to mould or a really good prospect once the European Money comes in I'll be delighted.

Onto the Next Season!

2nd Season - The Beginning

3a92457635ac15b93f31b7b584b032cb.png

No dream start for us this year. Too many games to focus on with our run through Europe and as a result we've  lost as many games as we did across the whole previous season in the first five. 

424fae1ae99dd3721e1fa09296d4b010.png

Everyone's pretty average though so no one's taken a massive early lead. How that shifts over the next 5-10 games will definitely be something to look out for though. 

Slavia vs PSV

dde2564b8255e05dcc800ced3874afe3.png

A great result, one marred by conceding two goals in the 2nd half before Dimitrov put us ahead immediately after to seal a 3-2 win. A lot less room to work with and I would rather have taken the 2-0 result at Half-Time. It showed we could compete though and perhaps there was a faint glimmer of a chance in the 2nd leg.

e7a9dabd2928de73c4f5fd64000846cd.png

Nope....

Player of the Update

Ivan Minchev

942c6ca7c3e9b7d8572aaf537150a4f9.png

Carrying us through the league in the early stages. A lot of those wins off the back of his play. Hopefully he can drag the club back to our previous level the season before.

One Year Down and this time it's a lot harder :kriss:

2 hours ago, wynter said:

Player of the Update

Ivan Minchev

942c6ca7c3e9b7d8572aaf537150a4f9.png

Carrying us through the league in the early stages. A lot of thosse draws off the back of his play. Hopefully he can drag the club back to our previous level the season before.

One Year Down and this time it's a lot harder :kriss:

His average ratings in the league and CL are incredible. :eek:

Unlucky against PSV but there's always next year.

Europa League Group Draw

d3a6d176de065c8020cbc189e0a03f8c.png

... Workable is the only thing I'll say. I think I can beat both Young Boys and RBS, Milan is another matter entirely.

And sorry for the lack of updates, work has kept me awfully busy. Hopefully I can churn some updates out over the weekend :)

Archived