Need help getting a refund

I know it's probably the wrong forum, but I couldn't find any correcct or official place to get a refund. 

I purchased the game in the official steam store and I made the purchase less than 14 days ago. I'm based in Europe so legally I have the right to return the product and get a refund. 

Do I need to contact SI directly or would it be better to contact Steam? What's the best way to make sure I get refunded quickly and smoothly?

4 minutes ago, wilde_bart said:

I know it's probably the wrong forum, but I couldn't find any correcct or official place to get a refund. 

I purchased the game in the official steam store and I made the purchase less than 14 days ago. I'm based in Europe so legally I have the right to return the product and get a refund. 

Do I need to contact SI directly or would it be better to contact Steam? What's the best way to make sure I get refunded quickly and smoothly?

You need to contact your retailer 

I think you need to contact Steam, since you bought it from them and they are your retailer. I think they have a refund option if you have played 2 hours or less, but I'm not sure.

13 minutes ago, wilde_bart said:

Of course you have your rights and can request a refund. But you are basing on a Beta game??

SI guys are still working on the game, and on Friday they will release a much better game. Why don´t you wait for this release?

9 minutes ago, gpassosbh said:

Of course you have your rights and can request a refund. But you are basing on a Beta game??

SI guys are still working on the game, and on Friday they will release a much better game. Why don´t you wait for this release?

I don't want a refund based on the beta game and possible bugs related to the current game still being in beta, but for other reasons.

20 minutes ago, XaW said:

I think you need to contact Steam, since you bought it from them and they are your retailer. I think they have a refund option if you have played 2 hours or less, but I'm not sure.

Thanks, I just googled for the steam process, I have 6 hours in game time, but I've only played 3 friendly games and looked around a bit. Although I've checked for and I can't seem to find anywhere where the law states that it's relevant whether I've played the game for 2 hours or 200 hours. I wonder if they'll refund me without any problems or if they'll try to give me a difficult time.

Edit: Does anyone here have experience with the steam refund policy and whether they follow eu law, despite their official page having other more restrictive rules?

3 minutes ago, wilde_bart said:

Thanks, I just googled for the steam process, I have 6 hours in game time, but I've only played 3 friendly games and looked around a bit. Although I've checked for and I can't seem to find anywhere where the law states that it's relevant whether I've played the game for 2 hours or 200 hours. I wonder if they'll refund me without any problems or if they'll try to give me a difficult time.

From their website: http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/?l=english

You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it.

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.

Steam use a discretionary policy that is hard to predict. I've had a refund accept on a game I'd played for a while, and refused on a game that was essentially a scam that I hadn't played.

Just start the process and see what happens

Just seen Xaw has quoted their official 'have a look' policy.

Edit: in response to XaW

Yes, I've just requested a refund and went through that process. Thanks for sharing the information and the link. 

The only question remaining is that under EU law there's no 2 hour playtime requirement, while Steam does mention this in their refund policy. Their confirmation mail mentions that "generally" they won't give me my money back because I have 6 hours logged on steam, even though they're legally obliged to refund me by EU law. Guess I'll just wait for their reponse, because it's no use speculating about what they might or might not do.

1 minute ago, Per Annum said:

I'm not sure how right you are about the EU law bit, I think it is different because you don't own the game but rather a license to play it, and you accept all their T&Cs when you buy.

That only counts if you sign a waiver and distance yourself from those rights. I never signed that waiver, I suppose because my steam country is set to a country outside of Europe and I haven't changed it as I'm only back here for holidays. 

By all means I don't get the refund either, but FM is not for everyone. A couple of my mates call it an excel sheet with pictures, so each to their own, I guess. I've already clocked in 110 hours, and I really enjoy it so far.

Regarding the laws, I have no idea what laws Steam follow. But hopefully you can get a refund if the game was not the correct fit for you.

According to UK law If you download a product within 14 days of purchasing and agree to the EULA then you agree to waive your 14 day cooling off period. (This is the same as EU law as it comes from the consumer rights directive in Brussels so all EU member states have it. 

You can refuse give your consent to waive the cool off period, but you'll have to wait 14 days before you download the product.

Steam have their 14 day returns policy globally, just to make it a little easier to buy off them. They don't have to legally give you a refund if you've downloaded it and clicked accept on the EULA.

I have played the beta for like 10 or 20 hours and still get refund in previous version. I think the rule is not as strict for beta as you have not really played the official game. Fans please don't get mad for my refund. I refunded just because there was a discount during the beta period so I refunded and brought it again. 

8 minutes ago, 98765431 said:

I think the rule is not as strict for beta as you have not really played the official game. 

I don't doubt that it isn't as strict, but people should take care to note this isn't a blanket rule - particularly with regard to marked Early Access games that are notoriously hard to refund. I know beta isn't Early Access but.

I'm still absolutely fuming about 3 years after the event that Valve refused to refund my Stomping Land purchase, despite the fact its developer broke and then abandonded it about 2 days after I received a marketing email from valve promoting it. Still strikes me as shameful to this day.

There is a consumer rights act which allows a refund, but i think that would only come into play if the product is not as described or completely and utterly broken. Which FM18 obviously isn't.

I'd give it a shot if you really want a refund,  but if you accepted the EULA and it clearly states the game must be played less than 2 hours, you may be naffed. Plus, I have no idea whether they'd tell you perhaps that due to it being a beta, you should have accepted the fact it'd have teething issues.

If you'd bought it boxed, you'd probably have far more leverage

1 hour ago, Per Annum said:

I don't doubt that it isn't as strict, but people should take care to note this isn't a blanket rule - particularly with regard to marked Early Access games that are notoriously hard to refund. I know beta isn't Early Access but.

I'm still absolutely fuming about 3 years after the event that Valve refused to refund my Stomping Land purchase, despite the fact its developer broke and then abandonded it about 2 days after I received a marketing email from valve promoting it. Still strikes me as shameful to this day.

Valve only introduced the refund system 2 years ago.

• FrazT locked this topic

Archived