Sports Interactive Community
nico_france

"Coming out" feature

46 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Don't worry - there are dozens of gay regens who won't come out - just for you!

I am sure for you is fundamental to know if your favorite player is heterosexual, homosexual or bisex. Right? 
Btw your is an useless provocation.

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

41 minutes ago, BigRoboCrouch said:

The cynical me thinks it is just a marketing stunt to make people and medias talk about the game.

Anyway i don't see why it would affect anyone's enjoyment of the game.

think you are on to something. SI has done it with Brexit already and this is another publicity stunt. 

that being said, there is a problem with acceptance of gay people in our society and SI trying to make their part in eradicating that is welcome. so if it also provides media coverage, then well done SI. 

People do know there's a middle ground between something truly altruistic and a blatant publicity stunt, right?

SI will get good press for this, but it's incredibly disingenuous to suggest that they're doing it purely for that purpose.

I really, really like this feature. Will the occasional rainbow flag appear in the crowd for relevant teams?

Hopefully in future versions of the game there will be more "events" like this just to add a bit of flavour and personality to the newgens.

For instance every so often you could get a "Beckham" newgen and you get told that he has married a pop star. Insane merchandising boost etc. Or maybe a "Cantona" newgen who is "looking at the possibility of becoming a movie star once he retires," with occasional updates about the success of his movies (varying from being laughed out of hollywood to winning an oscar.) Or maybe a "Wiese" newgen who retires and becomes a pro-wrestler.  Why not a "Platini" newgen who ends up as a senior figure in Uefa? Or a "Lineker" newgen who ends up becoming a pundit? Or a "Barton" newgen who is just disliked by the whole country, perhaps being referenced as making inappropriate comments and always audibly booed by fans. Or a "Dion Dublin" newgen who presents home improvement shows for some reason.

I think the coming out feature is great, but I don't think it should be the ONLY thing.

3 minutes ago, YKW said:

I really, really like this feature. Will the occasional rainbow flag appear in the crowd for relevant teams?

Hopefully in future versions of the game there will be more "events" like this just to add a bit of flavour and personality to the newgens.

For instance every so often you could get a "Beckham" newgen and you get told that he has married a pop star. Insane merchandising boost etc. Or maybe a "Cantona" newgen who is "looking at the possibility of becoming a movie star once he retires," with occasional updates about the success of his movies (varying from being laughed out of hollywood to winning an oscar.) Or maybe a "Wiese" newgen who retires and becomes a pro-wrestler.  Why not a "Platini" newgen who ends up as a senior figure in Uefa? Or a "Lineker" newgen who ends up becoming a pundit? Or a "Barton" newgen who is just disliked by the whole country, perhaps being referenced as making inappropriate comments and always audibly booed by fans. Or a "Dion Dublin" newgen who presents home improvement shows for some reason.

I think the coming out feature is great, but I don't think it should be the ONLY thing.

For me, this is the exact opposite of what I want. I don't want a life sim, I want a football sim and the focus should be on the football. I really hope SI don't go in this direction!

1 hour ago, Sean Blinkhorn said:

what they really are :lol:

What are people that complain about that? :) 

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

15 minutes ago, YKW said:

Rainbow flags already appear  - we don't need any more events though this is a particular case.

I'll translate what I replied about the subject in a brazilian FM forum, adding some words too:

I found it interesting by calling attention to the cause and because that had an effective effect, look at what it caused in this thread as for good as for bad. But I agree about with who said something about this have some relevance in game. I think the situation of life private of the player could cause problems in his form (like the "night parties" that makes players arriving late in the training or when the player doesn't go to the club by any conflict with the manager) could be included. Imagine if beyond the marketing impact this caused a kind of enhancement of relationship with the teammates (it would fit with Dynamics) or also a bad thing: a team division, with some defending the permanence of the player and others (or even EVERYBODY) wanting him out of the team and you as manager having to control that in the best way as possible. Manage people is always complicated and the FM in this year can give us a bit about that show with the new relationship feature.

But I agree also with who would want to see more "off the field" affecting the game world, like hooligan fights and his punishments, racism, others kind of personal problems which can affect player/team, I found brave the SI attitude of including that kind of info in game and I don't see in a next future being added other things of that type, also because reasons that someones know, with possibility of juridical problems by "why THOSE supporters are violent in game", being is common IRL unfortunately and every supporter groups have their "rotten oranges".

If I am not mistaken in the old FMs should be something with fan fights. Beyond that, a game that knows how to treat personal problems which can affect the professional performance (and in some aspects portrayed that in a funny way) is New Star Soccer. When the game was in text, you could be approached by someone selling to you drugs in a party, drugs whose could help you in your performance and also it could get you in on/off the pitch, being exposed in antidoping and it going to the media destroying your image, losing credit with manager, teammates, fans, sponsors (cancelling contracts and difficulty to get new ones), girlfriend, family. This includes alcoholism and gambling. Not forgetting the dilemmas that appeared and made you win/lose relationships with each item said above. 

Motorsport Manager also joins the dilemmas from "off the track" life with the "on" one, with drivers having deep relationships (remember the game has a considered number of female drivers, but I don't remember if there is gay relationships in game), hating each other, driver/mechanics/engineer problems or problems among drivers from different teams, bribery from federation president for you vote in favour/against the addiction of any championship rule, spying, participation in charities or sporting events, hobbies... each one of those items affects drivers and relationships positively/negatively, including the driver attributes.

This like other things this year is not needed in the game and you can only have re-gens coming out and you would be sued left right and centre if you choose living players

18 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

do regens come out as "straight"

Nice point.

Honestly though what next? player`s deciding to have sex changes?

Cool I guess. 

As long as I don't have to do damage control when my right back has fallen out with my star striker because he forgot their anniversary .

Part of me feels like it's just a clever marketing scheme to get some free headlines though...:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, IRONTUSK said:

Nice point.

That's a bingo! Slippery slope No. 3

4 minutes ago, IRONTUSK said:

Nice point.

Just now, Per Annum said:

That's a bingo! Slippery slope No. 3

Quite literally, what IS next?

8 hours ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

But one thing is that others discover it because see you outside with your bf and another is you saying it in a tv interview. 

Well, if you're very famous, you can sell fake stories / photos to the press about your beard. The press are quite happy to print fake stories about celebrities. Stories don't have to be true to hook readers.

The press do know which celebrities are gay. They just don't report it. Outing somebody would be considered very poor form, I think, but I guess there's a quid pro quo where gay people are expected to provide tabloid fodder in return for not being outed. This makes it sound more cynical than it is, but a lot of celebrities have people whose job it is to do this kind of stuff.

I think there's only 1 gay footballer who is a 'celebrity', so I'm talking more about the actors and pop stars. Most footballers don't get into the papers for their love lives anyway, unless they're shagging somebody famous.

8 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

think you are on to something. SI has done it with Brexit already and this is another publicity stunt. 

that being said, there is a problem with acceptance of gay people in our society and SI trying to make their part in eradicating that is welcome. so if it also provides media coverage, then well done SI. 

I just don't think that this was a publicity stunt, because SI didn't draw anyone's attention to it. Well, afaik. They either did this for very genuine and sincere reasons, or managed to really make it look like that. My instant reaction was cynicism, but I think I was wrong.

51 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Maybe SI thinks gay players belong in football and doping and on-pitch punchups don't.

Have to say I agree.

So what?

It's Football Manage, not "the football we'd love to see" manager.

Punchups and red cards for all sorts of misbehaviours are pack and parcel with football. In a football simulation I expect to see them. Or at least to see them BEFORE coming outs.

Moreso in a game that is so focused on simulating the reality of a manager that players were (and still are) almost non-people outside the boundaries of the training pitch or the dressing room.

Had it been a feature on FIFA Manager, or on USM, or on any less "uncompromising" football management game, I wouldn't have minded the addition at all. But on FM? Let's just say it's weird

Edited by RBKalle

I'm seriously surprised at some of the reactions on here - I think that it demonstrates that perhaps it is a needed addition.

6 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

I'm seriously surprised at some of the reactions on here - I think that it demonstrates that perhaps it is a needed addition.

Why?

To me, it's not much about the "what" they put in, but about the "how".

Had they annouced a huge overhaul of the interaction system, with a lot of new character traits that broaden the scope of a player's personality OFF THE PITCH, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid about the inclusion of sexual orientation, religion, addiction proneness and any other touchy topic under the sun.
I still wouldn't have liked the emphasis on non-football things (as I'd HATE the "let's buy a car/mansion with my manager's wage" feature many seem to want), but that's a matter of personal preference about gameplay. (Heck, I'd get rid of half of the Babysitting Simulator, if I could)

But adding the coming out as the ONE. AND. ONLY. OPTION. for a player to announce is a bit of an iffy move. Especially with the rest of their off-the-field life being pretty much a non-factor, and with stuff like Controversy being a foggy concept that only means a player will cause you troubles in private chats and team talks.

And the thing is, besides the rumoured "marketing boost", the coming out doesn't have any other effect. So, what was the point again?

Do you genuinely think the racist muppets who populate most stadiums will suddenly become LGBTQI+ friendly as their third-choice GK in FM came out?

Edited by RBKalle

5 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

Why?

To me, it's not much about the "what" they put in, but about the "how".

Had they annouced a huge overhaul of the interaction system, with a lot of new character traits that broaden the scope of a player's personality OFF THE PITCH, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid about the inclusion of sexual orientation, religion, addiction proneness and any other touchy topic under the sun.
I still wouldn't have liked the emphasis on non-football things (as I'd HATE the "let's buy a car/mansion with my manager's wage" feature many seem to want), but that's a matter of personal preference about gameplay. (Heck, I'd get rid of half of the Babysitting Simulator, if I could)

But adding the coming out as the ONE. AND. ONLY. OPTION. for a player to announce is a bit of an iffy move. Especially with the rest of their off-the-field life being pretty much a non-factor, and with stuff like Controversy being a foggy concept that only means a player will cause you troubles in private chats and team talks.

And the thing is, besides the rumoured "marketing boost", the coming out doesn't have any other effect. So, what was the point again?

Do you genuinely think the racist muppets who populate most stadiums will suddenly become LGBTQI+ friendly as their third-choice GK in FM came out?

I may be wrong but I think that the "marketing boost" SI have mentioned is linked to something that's happening in real life in terms of payments being made to clubs where a player has come out as gay

Just now, MoxeysTheName said:

I may be wrong but I think that the "marketing boost" SI have mentioned is linked to something that's happening in real life in terms of payments being made to clubs where a player has come out as gay

Never heard of the real-life situation...

Are those merchandise revenues due to extra sales or some weird "gay bonus"?!

Either way, I maintain the addition is a non-factor in a game where no other personal traits that could create interesting scenarios exist.

14 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

Never heard of the real-life situation...

Are those merchandise revenues due to extra sales or some weird "gay bonus"?!

Either way, I maintain the addition is a non-factor in a game where no other personal traits that could create interesting scenarios exist.

not really heard of it myself but it does ring a bell somewhere. I think it's something to do with a gay rights charity trying to encourage more gay players to come out with the hope of breaking one of the few remaining taboos in football and professional sport as a whole

Edited by MoxeysTheName

10 hours ago, RBKalle said:

So what?

It's Football Manage, not "the football we'd love to see" manager.

Punchups and red cards for all sorts of misbehaviours are pack and parcel with football. In a football simulation I expect to see them. Or at least to see them BEFORE coming outs.

Moreso in a game that is so focused on simulating the reality of a manager that players were (and still are) almost non-people outside the boundaries of the training pitch or the dressing room.

Had it been a feature on FIFA Manager, or on USM, or on any less "uncompromising" football management game, I wouldn't have minded the addition at all. But on FM? Let's just say it's weird

Well SI has been pretty clear that they're not going to spend their resources creating new graphics for regens to punch each other because they don't want to see it in their game. 

Whereas inconsequential Easter eggs like having players as "sons" and Movember moustaches have been around for a while, as has a "kick racism out of football" badge in the credits despite a lack of pre-recorded monkey chants and a stadium ban feature (hell, regens didn't even have skin colour back in 2004).

Though unlike Easter eggs as gestures of support for gay people, nobody seems to have "minded" these additions, never mind expended multiple posts concern trolling about using men with health problems for publicity...

11 hours ago, RBKalle said:

So what?

4) It's Football Manage, not "the football we'd love to see" manager.

1) Punchups and red cards for all sorts of misbehaviours are pack and parcel with football. In a football simulation I expect to see them. Or at least to see them BEFORE coming outs.

2) Moreso in a game that is so focused on simulating the reality of a manager that players were (and still are) almost non-people outside the boundaries of the training pitch or the dressing room.

3) Had it been a feature on FIFA Manager, or on USM, or on any less "uncompromising" football management game, I wouldn't have minded the addition at all. But on FM? Let's just say it's weird

1)  covered under violent behaviour - not mentioned in the game anymore - and I mean anymore because it used to be in the game and it was removed for obvious reasons

2) nothing has changed, you get a news item, you move on, there's no record of it - I don't think - therefore, you can carry on regardless and it has no affect

3) Why on FIFA or USM and not FM? Would it be more accpetable if FIFA and USM also did it? Why not PES? Or Sensible Soccer? Or Any other sports game? 

4) You are still being the football manager, nothing else has changed except for a news item that brings to light that a player has come out as being homosexual.

In summary - you a get a news item that you'll breeze over, and continue on with your life. 

4 minutes ago, forameuss said:

It would be a lot easier if those arguing against the feature just admitted it's because they don't agree with homosexuality in principle.  Not buying the weak arguments put forward over something so inoffensive.  Because as enigmatic points out, I don't remember more than a passing glance whenever Movember was shoehorned in.  Must've been because it's all about us blokes, eh?  Not them:rolleyes:

Think you nailed it there. Though I have never understood why people who are against homosexuality seems to be so very interested by what they do in the bedroom....

8 minutes ago, forameuss said:

It would be a lot easier if those arguing against the feature just admitted it's because they don't agree with homosexuality in principle.  Not buying the weak arguments put forward over something so inoffensive.  Because as enigmatic points out, I don't remember more than a passing glance whenever Movember was shoehorned in.  Must've been because it's all about us blokes, eh?  Not them:rolleyes:

Bingo. 

18 hours ago, tiago_wakabayashi said:

but I don't remember if there is gay relationships in game

Motorsport Manager? Yup. My two female drivers have been through one fancying the other, getting married etc. Different mental effects both positive and negative. Naturally, there's a few homophobes in that community with terribly formed arguments that fail to even thinly veil their actual issue with the context. Equally, a few people feel that fancying your co-driver of the same sex should not lead to a loss of focus as the is somewhat derogatory of homosexuality (to be fair, the Het equivalent in-game has the same effect, so it's not exactly negative from a gay perspective)

The game does fail to recognise the marketability aspect, possibly because it doesn't see the drivers orientation, merely the possibility for relationships and other events.

Bless, some people thought it was a bug. Makes this place seem almost inclusive and diverse

13 minutes ago, forameuss said:

It would be a lot easier if those arguing against the feature just admitted it's because they don't agree with it in principle.  Not buying the weak arguments put forward over something so inoffensive.

Amen.

4 minutes ago, LCpl said:

Motorsport Manager? Yup. My two female drivers have been through one fancying the other, getting married etc. Different mental effects both positive and negative. Naturally, there's a few homophobes in that community with terribly formed arguments that fail to even thinly veil their actual issue with the context. Equally, a few people feel that fancying your co-driver of the same sex should not lead to a loss of focus as the is somewhat derogatory of homosexuality (to be fair, the Het equivalent in-game has the same effect, so it's not exactly negative from a gay perspective)

The game does fail to recognise the marketability aspect, possibly because it doesn't see the drivers orientation, merely the possibility for relationships and other events.

Bless, some people thought it was a bug. Makes this place seem almost inclusive and diverse

Does Motorsport Manager actually do that?  Interesting

22 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Does Motorsport Manager actually do that?  Interesting

Relationships are indeed in MM. In my first save game, my two main drivers (both male) dated each other for a few months. Incidentally, the team - and one of the drivers - came 2nd in their respective championships that year. Things weren’t quite the same after they broke up one race into the following season. :(

Serious question - maybe already answered

If it's illegal in some countries, or seriously frowned upon - FM has said it won't have players of that nation coming out - which is fair enough.

But what about people who buy the game in these countries - will the feature be turned off for those regions?

1 minute ago, Smurf said:

Serious question - maybe already answered

If it's illegal in some countries, or seriously frowned upon - FM has said it won't have players of that nation coming out - which is fair enough.

But what about people who buy the game in these countries - will the feature be turned off for those regions?

Have anyone actually have it happen? I'm halfway into my 4th season, and I've yet to see it happen. But why would it be turned off for them, for that matter? Killing people is also illegal, but it's in media all over anyway.

Just now, XaW said:

Comments such as this is the precise reason it should be in the game. I really hope SI will stand their ground and refuse to take it out in countries who will not allow it. This whole thread have done nothing more than convince me is is needed. Some people are so horribly misguided...

Political propaganda should never be pushed down our throats in a football simulation game. Games are usually a way for people to spend their free time in a relaxing way, where does political propaganda fit in the equation?

Just now, Koning Bart said:

Political propaganda should never be pushed down our throats in a football simulation game. Games are usually a way for people to spend their free time in a relaxing way, where does political propaganda fit in the equation?

Yes? And where do you see any political propaganda here? Does this game force you to take a stand? Or does it make you engage in it? Not as far as I've seen. It's merely a mirror of the footballing world. We have had at least two top level players (at least as I can remember) let the media know of their sexual orientation, albeit after their retirement from the game, so it's probable that it will happen soon in the real world.

It's a serious concern that certain regions of the world will be greatly offended as it's against their religion, and their laws, which we have no obligation or right to question - if we are to be respectful to homosexuality and peope's rights in this regard, then we have to be respectful to all nations, creeds, races, religions and laws. 

For this reason, the regions where homosexuality is forbidden by either religion, law or ideaology, then it shouldn't appear as a news item in those regions - it stands to reason. 

As I'd imagine, it doesn't get a mention in news media in those regions anyway - unless it's relating to a player from that region - as per my news article posted, two guys who touched either on the bum faced public lashings on the pitch - it's that serious.

I'm not trying to make waves - I've a genuine concern.

3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It's a serious concern that certain regions of the world will be greatly offended as it's against their religion, and their laws, which we have no obligation or right to question - if we are to be respectful to homosexuality and peope's rights in this regard, then we have to be respectful to all nations, creeds, races, religions and laws. 

For this reason, the regions where homosexuality is forbidden by either religion, law or ideaology, then it shouldn't appear as a news item in those regions - it stands to reason. 

As I'd imagine, it doesn't get a mention in news media in those regions anyway - unless it's relating to a player from that region - as per my news article posted, two guys who touched either on the bum faced public lashings on the pitch - it's that serious.

I'm not trying to make waves - I've a genuine concern.

Of course we have a right to object or question it. Some countries in this world have a sexual age of 11... is this also something we should accept? Because something is founded in religion or tradition does not mean it should be accepted or tolerated.

That said, I also don't think it should be forced upon others either, but this is a game made in a country where homosexuality is not a crime and thus not breaking any laws. Could it be stopped in certain countries because of it's content? Of course, but so would a lot of other media, so I really don't see the issue here.

6 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

Fantastic :) Those are exactly the kind of places that need this more than anyone. 

I've nothing against homosexuality - and the way people lead their lives is not any of my business.

Just as the way people live their lives in other countries and regions where homosexuality is prohibited is none of my buisness. 

I support both sets of people the same way - each have their own right to live how they see fit. And it's not up to any of us to decide for them.

For the sake of realism can we have players, probably regens for legal reasons (although maybe McCormick at Plymouth could have another go), occasionally get sent to prison for drink driving or fighting? Maybe they could miss a season or two as they do their time.

After all, there may be some gay players but we know that there are plenty of criminal footballers so it would be much more realistic.

A very small and definitely not comprehensive list of some footballers who have been banned from driving/killed someone/assaulted someone/etc:

Deeney

McCormick

Bannan

Pulis (I know he's not a player)

M.King

Evans

Rooney

Toure

Caulker

Firmino

Fellaini

Hughes

Johnson

Ferdinand

Bassong

Alonso

Fabregas

Bell

L. King

Anyway, hopefully you get the idea about how common it is and it would make the game more realistic if your star 18 yo regen got banned from driving for a year and his performances dropped for a while, while he dealt with it. Maybe legal fees could cost your club. Maybe a negative reaction from fans for signing a known convict etc. It's almost definitely more common than gay footballers. 

Edited by HemHat
Missed off Evans!!

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

Of course we have a right to object or question it. Some countries in this world have a sexual age of 11... is this also something we should accept? Because something is founded in religion or tradition does not mean it should be accepted or tolerated.

That said, I also don't think it should be forced upon others either, but this is a game made in a country where homosexuality is not a crime and thus not breaking any laws. Could it be stopped in certain countries because of it's content? Of course, but so would a lot of other media, so I really don't see the issue here.

I'm just raising awareness that some countries don't tolereate the same beliefs we do.

It doens't make us more advanced, or them backwards - or our ideaolgy right or wrong - or theirs right or wrong.

We live in a big world - and something like sexuality can cause great offence - it's illegal in a lot of countries.

I'm not really interested in who is right or wrong - because as Plato said "I'm a citizen of Earth". 

There's room in this world for different ways of thinking - just because we think one way and someone else thinks another - it doesn't make one right and one wrong.

10 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I've nothing against homosexuality - and the way people lead their lives is not any of my business.

Just as the way people live their lives in other countries and regions where homosexuality is prohibited is none of my buisness. 

I support both sets of people the same way - each have their own right to live how they see fit. And it's not up to any of us to decide for them.

No, nobody has the right to discriminate against LGBT people, and those who want to see their vile hatred influence a video game can **** right off.

1 minute ago, HemHat said:

For the sake of realism can we have players, probably regens for legal reasons (although maybe McCormick at Plymouth could have another go), occasionally get sent to prison for drink driving or fighting? Maybe they could miss a season or two as they do their time.

After all, there may be some gay players but we know that there are plenty of criminal footballers so it would be much more realistic.

A very small and definitely not comprehensive list of some footballers who have been banned from driving/killed someone/assaulted someone/etc:

Deeney

McCormick

Bannan

Pulis (I know he's not a player)

M.King

Rooney

Toure

Caulker

Firmino

Fellaini

Hughes

Johnson

Ferdinand

Bassong

Alonso

Fabregas

Bell

L. King

Anyway, hopefully you get the idea about how common it is and it would make the game more realistic if your star 18 yo regen got banned from driving for a year and his performances dropped for a while, while he dealt with it. Maybe legal fees could cost your club. Maybe a negative reaction from fans for signing a known convict etc. It's almost definitely more common than gay footballers. 

Raise it in the Feature Requests forum.  And wtf does this have to do with the topic at hand anyway?  Footballer criminality doesn't need awareness being raised, but a quick read of this thread (and some of the atrocious posts we've had to remove) shows you that this subject does need addressing.

1 minute ago, Smurf said:

I'm just raising awareness that some countries don't tolereate the same beliefs we do.

It doens't make us more advanced, or them backwards - or our ideaolgy right or wrong - or theirs right or wrong.

We live in a big world - and something like sexuality can cause great offence - it's illegal in a lot of countries.

I'm not really interested in who is right or wrong - because as Plato said "I'm a citizen of Earth". 

There's room in this world for different ways of thinking - just because we think one way and someone else thinks another - it doesn't make one right and one wrong.

I agree with most of what you are saying here, but I can't accept what I consider directly wrong behavior. We have reports of women getting sent to jail for becoming raped in certain countries. That is something I cannot accept. The same goes for punishing accused homosexuality with beatings or lashings. I couldn't care less who or what you believe in, or what your political orientation is. I don't care about your sexuality for that matter, but what I care about is unfair treatment of fellow human beings.