I can't FM anymore

7 hours ago, Svenc said:

Perhaps this may share some insights. It's an interview I recently found with SI's Nik Madden, part of the QA/ME team. It's not only interesting due to the talk about the game and what the aim is. It may be also be revealing to see some how SI staff approach the game on that tactical front -- which may be simpler than many think.

Really good video, enjoyed seeing his thoughts on the tactical side of things.

It ain’t the kinda game u can pick up and play for a Saturday and Sunday mornin before the afternoon football anymore. Ya gotta literally play aaaall the time to get anywhere on it now. It’s a big commitment and ain’t no one got time for that. 

On 03/11/2017 at 22:00, eric1000 said:

I played half a season with the beta, was lying 3rd in the league and playing well but just didn't have any fun with it.  This is by far the worst and most unintuitive FM yet.  18 matches in and I got to the point of just being bored to death by it so I uninstalled, refunded and am now having fun with my FM2016 save in my 38th season and will spend the money on an actual game that is fun to play.  I didn't buy FM 2017 and I'm not buying this one.  It's sad really, like watching an old friend die a slow and lingering death.  Unless something radical changes in next years offering then FM is no longer an annual consideration for me.

I am waiting to play the demo to make a final judgement, but from what I have seen and read so far, I have a feeling that in a couple of weeks time my comments could be very similer to this.

Threads like this are tough, because people are arguing from a position of passion rather than logic 99% of the time. 

Here's the simple thing that I don't think anyone disagrees with, if its not for you its not for you. If it is then good for you. 

You can offer up all manner of reason and someone who prefers something else will stick to their perceived reason that they prefer something else. People talking about the game being too time consuming, yet seemingly ignoring FMT. People talking about how they enjoyed that old version with dozens of years racked up, yet ignoring the fact that investing a lot of time means you will have a bias towards it. 

Ultimately though, its up to you how you choose to spend your free time. Being bitter about a new game, or changes in a new game if you really don't want to play it don't help. They don't help you nor do they help SI. No one cares nor minds if you want to plough your time into an old FM/CM title. 

On 4.11.2017 at 13:16, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Really good video, enjoyed seeing his thoughts on the tactical side of things.

I enjoyed seeing @Rashidi's initial reaction even more. :D But as Nic explained, the thing isn't necessarily meant to be as "in-depth" as you (may) get the impression from following the "tactical hardcore" at all. From my experience, the game has always supported the simpler "Harry type", too [most don't just approach it that way, including putting up a thousand team instructions in place, and being under the bad spell that a supposedly "wrong" pick in roles may be the difference between 2nd place and 18th place, when outside of doing the stupid, there are no "wrong" or "right" choices at such]. Yes, you may get a few extra opints by digging deeper, and if you're as determined as some of the tactical mods, you will be to the match play what Neo is To The Matrix, which means you may be allowed to bend it in any shape you see fit (100% guaranteed that not even SI staff is able to do so). But you can also excell in other areas. I really think it mostly comes down to that "expectation" thing. It's all good that CM01/02 allowed you to game a few Wibble/Wobbles until the defending wouldn't cope, and rack up a few titles straight of the bat, and that game will never go away. Next time before you pick a side, simulate what an AI manager would do with the same team on full details, you may get a far better feel for this.

@looping

The best place may be a feature suggestion, considering you desire to have more options towards set pieces! Talking about that mod, it's still terrible advice. Whoever that was may have insights into how the game clicks on a purely mechanically level. But such is, and has always been, irrelevant when it comes to translating football into the game. It may be relevant if you try to game parts of the engine, which is something no AI does anyway. But that's something else completely. If you can't formulate/answer simple football questions, you will never get to grips with the tactical side of the game, and certainly never get much "fun" of it, as it's the entire point of the thing. To make you think (a bit) like a manager would. You may have noted it, but the (basic) decisions your AI opponents make are coded like this also, starting with that they try to grind out draws against superior oppositions by shutting up shop, sometimes chopping things up at HT when things are not working. If that were different, the game and its UI would be failure.That's one of the reasons why the sliders/arrows of old were ditched -- they made people falsely think twiggling a few notches was the difference between a side either playing like Barcelona or like Stoke -- rather than getting coherent movement patterns in place supporting each styles by sensibly roles and "football" instructions]. Some of the most reoccuring "rants" can be traced back to huge misconceptions of football also translating in-game. That a side enjoying more of possession and having the majority of shots must be playing well, is the most frequent of them, always occuring because the player has never asked himself Football questions: How do teams create space against certain kinds of opposition? Or: How quality are the shots we concede?

I will give FM18 the chance cause i got it with a good rebate - usually it would make no sense to buy more then every 3 years or so.

For me the best FM is still FM13 - i hope FM18 will be an improvement over FM17/16 which i played quite some time but more for toying around than "seriously" to "Managing a Club to Glory".

Yeah i would like it if i could do more in the Tactic Menu like setting an Offensive and a Defensive Shape for the same Basic Formation and having arrows making Players do specific ways.

I remember "Player Manager" based in "Kick Off" were i laid out pathings for my whole Team in regard to the position of the Ball and the oposing Players pathing and positioning - i liked that very much and played that game für a decade very much.

Have read you need more Clicks now to navigate and i hope it will be an exxagaration or fixed ASAP bcs less Clicks make more Kicks!

On 11/5/2017 at 12:21, santy001 said:

Being bitter about a new game, or changes in a new game if you really don't want to play it don't help. They don't help you nor do they help SI.

Of course it helps, It's called feedback, which allows the receiver of the feedback to make adjustments if they deem them necessary. Very few things at all have ever gotten better without feedback.

I find FM a great game improving with the time, in enjoy much more now than twenty years ago. The dynamics are much closer to real football and this is just great.

I disagree with the first post, for me is the opposite: I would like the game to be as complete, deep and challenging as possible.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:50, Delvi said:

I find FM a great game improving with the time, in enjoy much more now than twenty years ago. The dynamics are much closer to real football and this is just great.

I disagree with the first post, for me is the opposite: I would like the game to be as complete, deep and challenging as possible.

Yeah, more immersive and dynamic than previous years. It's only really had depth this last two years and less exploits to rend the challenge pointless.

Starting to get a bit miffed with shooting accuracy and long shots, but heck, it's a prerelease, it's being looked at, kinda the purpose of playing it early, so largely finding it enjoyable. Few less clicks would be nice. Can't understand why drop-down boxes exist in places where there's space for a list of boxes to click once, but I think that's largely been covered by the handful of people who report potential issues rather than having an bout of keyboard tourettes because they aren't winning.

Archived