europe-political-map-large.jpg

FM18 All-European (Less England) Small Club to Big Club Challenge

Introduction

Welcome to a new chapter in the history of the ‘Euro Nation’ Challenge, born out of the recent history of the highly successful Gundo’s Challenge and the Big Euro Nation Challenge that spawned out of it.  Originally set up as an alternative to the hugely successful Dafuges Challenge for FM06, Gundos Challenge offered an alternative for people who wanted to play in another European country.  The Big Euro Nation Challenge followed for FM08 and, like Gundo’s Challenge, has had some fantastic stories over the years.  These threads have always been hugely popular and successful thanks to those who played, and who still take part, in the challenges.  Some of the stories are legendary, and hopefully more of these will be born in this, and future, versions of the game.

The premise of the challenge is the same, and simple, to start with a previously unplayable club and taking them all the way to a National Title and then on to winning the European Champions League. With a variety of leagues, styles of play, different rules, and many different locations for your clubs there can be a lot of variety throughout the thread, providing a great atmosphere and stories for our users to become immersed in. 

General Challenge Info

Possible Countries

• Austria
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France  -  June 20th
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Holland  *
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland  *
  • Israel
  • Italy  -  July 30th
  • N. Ireland  -  25th June
  • Norway  -  January 13th
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Russia
  • Scotland
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain  -  July 10th
  • Sweden  -  December 15th
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • Wales

*  Holiday for two seasons not one.

League Reset Dates

• Austria  -  13th June
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Holland  *
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland  *
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • N. Ireland
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Russia
  • Scotland
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • Wales

The Rules

A) Game Set-up

1) Load One Nation Only (All Available Divisions within your nation)

2) Your choice of Database Size (Large Recommended)

3) NO Edited Databases of any kind

4) Customising Database 

• You can add players to the database up to a limit of 100,000 in total in order to add more depth to your save and also add more difficulty down the line.

Suggested Adds

• Players from Top Clubs/Top Divisions (Europe or All Continents) - This increases the challenge at Continental Level
  • Players Based in your Nation - This can add up to 50% more players to your game
  • Players Based in your Region (Central Europe/East Europe/UK & Ireland) - This can add extra players likely to join your club
  • There will be a file correcting the club/competition names, I will advise use of this.
  • NO other additional customising is allowed.

5) Attribute Masking should be Enabled

6) Disable Ingame Editor (Please do this)

7) Optional Ticks

• Add Key Staff (This will give you a Scout, Physio & Ass Man by generating them if your club is without)
  • Add Players in Playable Nations (This will ensure all clubs have a minimum number of players, generating them if needed)

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

B) Steps in the Game

1) Add an unemployed manager; you will not use this man to manage your club. I like "Unemployed Man or Holiday Man"

2) Go on holiday until the reset date of your chosen nation (Should take about an hour)

TIP -

Changing

Detail Level to None

will make it go faster. (Remember to change it back afterwards)

TIP - Saving on the day before this date may give you a better choice of teams by reloading the game then going on holiday for one day, I would strongly recommend trying this.

3) Add a new manager - Use yourself, or a created character to help build a story line

a) Personal Details

- Your Choice

b) Tracksuit vs. Trainer

- Your Choice

c) Past Experience lowest Possible (Generally Sunday League)

d) Coaching Licenses lowest Possible (None)

e) Other options are up to you

TIP - If you add the language of your country of choice it will make it easier at the beginning

TIP - Training now includes you at some level depending on your abilities.

4) Choose to take over any club which has been promoted to the bottom playable league of your nation.

TIP - Easiest way in FM17 to see this is on the "Season Review" screen, showing the "Promoted Clubs"

TIP - You can confirm your club by checking the Domestic History's page for not being at this level since start of game

5) Retire your unemployed manager.

6) Manage your club to National Title & European Champions League Victory

7) Completing the Challenge.

C) Signing of Players

1) You must be able to scout them

TIP - You don't actually have to scout them, just be able to

TIP - You can check your scouting range on the Scouting page

2) Alternatively (If you can't scout them), you must bring them on a trial first

3) You are able to sign anyone sent to you via Agent Offer

TIP - Make sure you screenshot the Agent offer

4) In later versions you can get your DoF to find players, he will bring in players not in Scouting Range, these are also allowed.

TIP - Grab a screenshot of your DoF signing them

D) Posting

1) Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

2) Discussion of tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Expected Updates

We have minimum expectations when it comes to a first up post and also in the end of season updates. The Bold pages are necessary for everyone; the others are some suggestions that will get others interested in your posts and following your club. All other screenshots are welcome and encouraged, but we please ask that the majority are posted as links, because lots of pictures can make the page very slow to load.

First Post:

Domestic Leagues History (Club)

Profile (Manager)

Overview (Club)

Squad (Club)

End of Season Updates:

Transfers (Club) - This is so we can see the ins & outs

League Table (Competition)

Squad (Club)

Information (Manager)

Profile (Manager)

Information (Club)

Profile (Players)

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread; we want to hear the story of your club all the way through. Please keep us updated, even if you are doing badly. If you title your end of season report in bold this makes it easier to identify. Everyone will be supportive, and really get into your game if you give more detail.

E) Other

1.        If you are Sacked

1.       You can Restart from the beginning or;

2.       Continue your game and pick a new club (Under Same Rules) at the end of the next season or;

3.       Add another Euro League/Remove Current League, holiday a whole season and continue

1.       You can still only have one nation running at a time

2.       Once the league becomes active you MUST holiday a full season

3.       The club must be one of those unplayable from the beginning

2.       No Restrictions on Parent or Feeder Clubs

3.        International Management allowed from FM14 forwards (But you cannot start as an International Manager)

The use of any external utilities and editors (Such as Genie Scout or FMM) are prohibited. As of FM14 there are also unlockables, these are also prohibited, please don't use them. It would be appreciated if you also ticked the box at the start which prevents the use of the ingame editor.

How to Post a Screenshot

1) While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

2) Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

3) Save the file as a JPEG or PNG

4) Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

5) Post the direct URL to the image here.

Alternatively using ALT + F9 in game saves a screenshot to your user data folder. (You can also edit this in the shortcuts options)

The Euro Nation Motivational

I would like to thank all of you who choose to participate in this thread this year, and to wish everyone taking on this challenge the best of luck on a long and hard journey to managerial success!  I have personally had a number of hugely enjoyable saves over the years, first in Gundos challenge and then latterly in the Big Euro Nation Challenge.  The atmosphere and support these threads have historically offered is key in making the thread, and your saves more enjoyable as I can testify to.  I and some of the other regulars of these threads are here to help for the new challengers and hope everybody that participates contributes considerably to the thread. There is nothing better than getting immersed not only in your own game but providing the encouragement to other people's attempts too. Remember we are all fighting the same battle - to defeat the AI (and uncover fabulous newgens!) - Therefore it goes without saying that any form of cheating will be severely chastised. Don't do it! I know that it is painful to lose a European Final or to lose the title on the final day (I have been there myself on more than one occasion) but eventual success down the line is all the sweeter for those defeats.

Good luck to all the participants – Here’s to a successful (and enjoyable) version!!

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Is this meant to be a fusion of the "Big Euro challenge" and "Gundo's challenge"? If so I'm all for it, as those two had been losing steam for the last couple of years.

Yes this is a fusion of the 'Big Euro Challenge' and 'Gundo's Challenge'.  As you mention both have been losing steam recently so hopefully this years' game will give it a boost.  As for the rest of you thanks for your positive initial comments and it will be good to see you here at some point.

After failing miserably with Whitby on Dafuge's challenge I'm going with Spain here, looking to take down Barca and Real. Should be easy ... right?

After holidaying I've taken the team with the best kit, Sestao. Also nice to take a team that isn't destined to finish bottom of the league for once, we're predicted to finish 8th. Hopefully that won't add a load of extra pressure to the first year as I try to find my feet as an Englishman in Spain.

Club - look at that kit!

Domestic league history - we were in the Tecera for one year

Squad

7 hours ago, GoalieManPat121 said:

Downloading game now. Worth starting the save now or is everyone waiting for release?

My personal feeling is that it might be worth waiting till Friday to see how much they're able to refine a few parts of the game. I'm not starting a long term save / challenge until then, (though earl's tour de france is sort of).

I hope lots pf people are waiting for release because I get the feeling that there are far fewer people starting challenges this year, and I also get the sense that challenges are much tougher this year, because your players want you out from day 1 because of your low rep and experience. Obviously that won't change completely.

Anyway, what decision did you make? Did you start on the challenge?

8 hours ago, vikeologist said:

My personal feeling is that it might be worth waiting till Friday to see how much they're able to refine a few parts of the game. I'm not starting a long term save / challenge until then, (though earl's tour de france is sort of).

I hope lots pf people are waiting for release because I get the feeling that there are far fewer people starting challenges this year, and I also get the sense that challenges are much tougher this year, because your players want you out from day 1 because of your low rep and experience. Obviously that won't change completely.

Anyway, what decision did you make? Did you start on the challenge?

The most influential player at Sestao hates me for some reason, and he's taking 8-9 other players along with him. So despite the fact that we're just outside the playoffs nearing the halfway point of the season, the dressing room atmosphere is rock bottom. :( 

My question for the day has to be...WHY does Sega continue with regional pricing when the delivery method is identical? $50 in US, but $90 for me in NZ...that's an extra $20 for me just because I am in NZ (Exchange rate makes $50 about $70)

EDIT: Yes we have GST here, but still even with that added it's $80

On 05/11/2017 at 19:10, Lower Leagues Rule said:

My question for the day has to be...WHY does Sega continue with regional pricing when the delivery method is identical? $50 in US, but $90 for me in NZ...that's an extra $20 for me just because I am in NZ (Exchange rate makes $50 about $70)

that's not great....  i can understand your pain.

On 2017-11-05 at 20:10, Lower Leagues Rule said:

Can't you buy a ROW-key from here: http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-football-manager-2018-cd-key-compare-prices/ ?

Approx 35 €uro for those. (40 USD, 60 NZD).

Sestao FC 2018/19

02dXgp1.png

League | Transfers | Squad | U19sClub | AwardsBest Eleven | Manager

A good first season in the Basque Country, finishing a very respectable 9th. Probably could have finished a little higher, but the last two games were dead rubbers so I played 5-6 of my youth intake as they're very highly rated, which meant I lost the last two games. I started the game wanting to play 4312 so I had to restructure the playing squad with a variety of incoming transfers to fill out the MC spots, while also ensuring I didn't end up with a load of players left outside of the squad registration limits (only 2GKs and 20 outfield players with a max of 16 over 23s). Gorka Azkorra was a major pain in my backside all season because he was the most influential player and hated me for some reason and at one point he had 9 other players following him. He seemed to calm down as the season went along but as he's 36 there is no way I'm renewing his contract.

Looking to build on it next year and get a few new pieces in to help push me along. I've told the players to aim for another top half finish but I think the playoffs are within reach with a bit of luck.

Season		League					Position
2018/19		Segunda Division B Group 2		9th

Nice work Britwork, that is a very good first season out. 

I presume that his age, and experience would've played a part, it is one thing that makes me not want to start a FM game.

One thing I want to ask, do the Fans/Board still get annoyed about a player leaving when they refused contract offer after contract offer?

I think it's the fact I'd got no experience or coaching badges that put him off. It wasn't too bad to manage and I quite liked the challenge to be honest it as it was realistic. A random bloke off the street managing a league team would lead to a lot of questions from the players. I'm sure it'll only be an issue for a short period until I get some experience behind me.

Right, playing in Italy. Have selected the following Database:

LARGE

Europe - Players from Top Clubs
Central, Eastern, UK & Ireland, Scandanavia - Players from Top Division

Italy, France, Germany, Holland, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia - Players based in Nation

Total Player Count of 99,920

Start screen.PNG

4 hours ago, Britrock said:

@Lower Leagues Rule are Valee d'Aoste still one of the teams that get promoted? Had a game with them a few years back and got to Serie B before I hit a road block and couldn't get any further. Would like to go back potentially, once I'm finished with Sestao of course

I haven't seen them yet, but I am going to keep going until I get Viareggio I think. Especially as I had decided on them when I thought I had them with just 3 saves created. I'll definitely post a list of the teams I have in my save games.

I have 33 teams now: Como, Mantova, Pavia, Pro Patria, Varese, Lupa Roma, Rimini, Savona, Tuttocuoio, Latina, Lumezzane, Matelica, Rieti, Messina, Taranto, Lecco, Campobasso, Cavese, Vibonese, San Marino, Igea Virtus, Pro Sesto, Potenza, Forli, L'Aquila, Pergolettese, Massese, Nocerina, Campodarsego, Nuorese, Gela, Unione Sanremo & Vis Pesaro

Trying to decide where to start... I have completed the Gundo section of the challenge twice (FM08 and FM09 if memory serves correctly) but have always fallen short with the big nations... Played in France on my most recent save so I've narrowed it down to Spain, Italy, Portugal or Germany. Any suggestions?

Its really great to see this challenge alive, and the combination seems good also.

Just a question that really never figured out why:

You can't add other leagues, but you can add players from other nations (up to 100.000) is there a reason why this?

I would think that adding more leagues does more or less the same, but would make the Champions League part harder as other teams in Europe had more realistic progress....

Just a thought from my side...

@Lower Leagues Rule - That's a good mix of teams there to choose from in Italy there - good to see that there are plenty of different teams available.

@DodgeeD - All of those leagues have different challenges - Spain is obviously cracking the big two, Germany is toppling Bayern, Italy is Juventus obviously (though might now be a bit easier with Serie A being a little weaker.  I have never tried Portugal so i can't advise on there.  Looking forward to seeing where you choose.

@TheEarl - with regards to adding players from other nations, it is there so that once you eventually get to Europe, the AI teams are stronger opposition.  Adding the players seems to have similar effect based on previous versions.

11 hours ago, DodgeeD said:

Combined Euro Challenge? Sounds good to me! Just bought FM18 this morning and haven't decided on a career yet. I'll either do this or set up a 'rest of the world' thread ;)

I had toyed with setting up a 'rest of the world' thread but decided against it as i didn't want to stretch myself.  Feel free from my point of view...

With Portugal the biggest issue with the new league layout is getting out of the bottom level, by the time you get through the playoffs and into the 2nd level you should be well and truly strong enough to make it straight to the top division. Once there getting Top 4 is easy, then it's a matter of slowly knocking off the Big 3: Sporting, Benfica and the scum that is Porto :)

2 minutes ago, rlipscombe said:

@TheEarl - with regards to adding players from other nations, it is there so that once you eventually get to Europe, the AI teams are stronger opposition.  Adding the players seems to have similar effect based on previous versions.

Yes, so far I follow, just can't see how adding a different league would make any difference.

Just now, rlipscombe said:

Not 100% sure but i have been told before that it seems to help....

I think with tests we found that rather than making it harder it makes it easier as it generates more regens of a quality of the lower levels, but at the higher teams that can be easily grabbed cheaply or free as they get released immediately. (I am not sure, but it was back around FM10 that we did some testing around it)

Well, I decided to ignore my big nation leanings and went for Sweden. Unfortunately, I tried this about an hour before the hotfix was released and the game crashed right after I chose my club. :(

At least I learned the Swedish rest date is December 15th. :)

Will have a look at Spain and Portugal later this evening - Portugal has the advantage of fewer domestic games of course...

Archived