Southampton, Top of the League !

Wrightysp1975

Always start my FM games as Southampton (my supported club) and have enjoyed a good start, albeit early days.

Brought in Timo Horn for 30m as i find Forster unreliable. I was happy with the defence so left them alone, but send Pied out on loan so may look for a RWB in January. I've got 16m left and -72k pw wage budget left but could find anyone in the summer. Any ideas anyone?

Midfield was already pretty strong but added Elneny on loan from Arsenal, who has been superb.

Most of my transfer activity was upfront as we were already short and i wanted to play three strikers, so brought in Dembele from Celtic for 19.75m, Batshuayi from Chelsea on loan (with an optional fee of 8m) and Kevin Volland for 20m.

Outwards, I sold Tadic to Monaco for 29m and Boufal to West Ham for 23.5m

As you can see from my results, i'm doing pretty well, scoring a lot of goals but also concede quite a lot too. 

Hopefully our run will continue and we will bounce back from our last game, losing 4-2 to Huddersfield

Happy to receive any advice or provide any i can if you are struggling as i've seen a few posts saying FM18 is the hardest FM yet, but personally i've found it the easiest in regards to results anyway.

PS, my players do all hate me and don't listen to me when i walk into the room (dressing). Just makes FM more realistic in my view and the same happens at home when i walk in from work with my wife and kids.

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 20.02.59.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 20.03.23.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 20.03.54.png

Interesting, I want to start a game with Southampton as they are my club, but what has put me off so far is I am not a great fan of winger formations or AML/AMR positions really, yet half the Southampton team is set up for that. 

So it's interesting to see you've basically culled these players, Tadic, Redmond, Boufal etc.

Indeed. They are influential players so the other players moaned a bit but I took that risk 

They are also valuable so gave me the money I needed to invest in a new keeper and strikers 

Couldn’t sell Redmond though which was a shame sonjust sent him out on loan and will try again in the summer

Good luck 

Can we have you in real life please? :lol: Will be interesting to see how you do though.

On a sadder Saints note, tomorrow is my last Saints game for a loooooong time due to my impending move to the US, so a few goals and 3 points would be nice :onmehead:

16 hours ago, Toothless Gibbon said:

Doesn’t  Horn have a release clause of about 15m?

Yea, brought him in myself when Forster got injured for 5 months. Two injuries to Forster and Lemina for long term really screwed up my transfer dealings!

On 11/3/2017 at 16:48, mark1985 said:

Can we have you in real life please? :lol: Will be interesting to see how you do though.

On a sadder Saints note, tomorrow is my last Saints game for a loooooong time due to my impending move to the US, so a few goals and 3 points would be nice :onmehead:

If that was your last game in a long time, man I feel sorry for you. My wife and father in law life long season ticket holders and say this worse they have seen, just nothing happening

I'm going to start my Saints save on Friday when the full game comes out, going to try and clear out all the people who are underperforming in real life, like Tadic, Redmond, Forster etc.  Just basically start again around the solid defence and the DMs. 

Though I might cash in on Bertrand if I can, as in my Liverpool game I signed Shaw for £8 million end of the first seasons plus Tierney is a very solid purchase. 

Going to try and play wing backs as I want to experiment turning James Ward-Prowse into one.  A sort of Beckham style winger/wingback who just whips quality crosses in. 

8 hours ago, AFCB08 said:

If that was your last game in a long time, man I feel sorry for you. My wife and father in law life long season ticket holders and say this worse they have seen, just nothing happening

Well at least I'm not going to miss it too much! I was a season ticket holder back in the League One/Championship days and really enjoyed it (winning more helped!) but this season especially has been very frustrating...

1 hour ago, mark1985 said:

Well at least I'm not going to miss it too much! I was a season ticket holder back in the League One/Championship days and really enjoyed it (winning more helped!) but this season especially has been very frustrating...

I went long with wife or farther in law during those times too. Im a life long Bournemouth Fan but loved the Saints under Nigel Atkins, he was a top bloke

15 minutes ago, AFCB08 said:

I went long with wife or farther in law during those times too. Im a life long Bournemouth Fan but loved the Saints under Nigel Atkins, he was a top bloke

I met Nigel Adkins once and he came across as a decent bloke. Really enjoyed watching us under him. Good luck to the Cherries this season. Nice to see them doing well (fingers crossed the form picks up a bit for both of us though)

Im having a fun time with my Southampton save. Currently battling at 7th place, Stoke right behind me by 2 points with only 4 games left to go in the season. Im finding it difficult to hold onto my good players as they all tend to want to move away for clubs that are bigger / better. I am upgrading all my facilities and expanding the stadium to 38k capacity so hopefully that'll help keep players to stick around. 

I am now 90 hours into my Southampton save and having a ball.

May I suggest with the new 'dynamics' feature in FM18 that potential Saints Managers keep all of the current squad and not make wholesale changes in the transfer market, it is really not nessasary. I have made three signings with my buy players 17-24 with a view to making a few quid on them in the future. I have made two 6M purchases a ball winning midfielder and an attacking left winger (who can also play down the right). The third player was a 120K under 23 squad player who has made a couple of apperances off the bench as he plays in a couple of postitions.

I am approaching match 29 and currently sit in 2nd place with a five point gap down to 6th place (no european football). I have won the Carabo cup and got a Euro Cup spot for next season, albeit I was more than a little fortunate winning my first two ties on penalty shoot outs after 'holding on' for draws in both matches.

For the record a few Managers have already been sacked in the top league in my save including both Klopp and Pepe!

Keep up the good work FM this version is top drawer and very testing on your PR and observation skills.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished first season as Southampton manager finishing 4th in league and qualifying for Europe. Sold Redmond for 31 m to spurs, bought in Coric, De Ligt and a few others. Here is my team at the end of first season.

image.thumb.png.f1d8e3a29bd519fee4f8f9c7e4296547.png

Bringing in Rugani and Delefanou who only cost me 7.75 m as he was listed to start 2nd season.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Downloaded a real life results patch and with a few games to go, Southampton, Stoke and West Brom got relegated. Took on the Saints job with a massive overhaul, as show below:

sotontfrs.thumb.PNG.7e5c48016cfd3676759281b7d18d1bae.PNG

Won the Championship with 97 points, 15 ahead of 2nd place Derby. Also got to the playoff semi finals, losing 2-0 to Man City at Wembley.

My current finances are a transfer budget of £140m and free wage budget of £600k, meaning staying up next season should be easy - though you can tell I'm only signing English players to make it a challenge. Got Jordon Ibe and Danny Ings joining me in the summer too!

3 hours ago, Lawly Boi said:

Downloaded a real life results patch and with a few games to go, Southampton, Stoke and West Brom got relegated. Took on the Saints job with a massive overhaul, as show below:

sotontfrs.thumb.PNG.7e5c48016cfd3676759281b7d18d1bae.PNG

Won the Championship with 97 points, 15 ahead of 2nd place Derby. Also got to the playoff semi finals, losing 2-0 to Man City at Wembley.

My current finances are a transfer budget of £140m and free wage budget of £600k, meaning staying up next season should be easy - though you can tell I'm only signing English players to make it a challenge. Got Jordon Ibe and Danny Ings joining me in the summer too!

Where did you get the patch m8?

I m Doubting to make a save between Brighton or Southampton apart from my real oviedo one, what tactics you reccomend? Southampton is my second favourite team of england (First is Man U LOL, apart from being mexican)

• 3 weeks later...

Hadn't played FM in ages, so decided on starting a save with Southampton and it's probably been the best save I've had this year. 

I started off not allowing any more signings considering it's the last patch and everything was up to date anyway and apart from reluctantly selling Yoshida and gladly selling Redmond in the winter transfer window I wasn't given much money to spend accept for what we accumulated from their sales so I decided just to bank it instead. 

We finished 2nd in the league on 77 points and but for a more consistent start to the season we could have got closer to United who finished 1st on 84. Some real surprising results including beating Chelsea 4-0 at home, United 3-1 at home and City 4-2 away kept us challenging from most of the season.

We also managed a domestic double winning the FA cup and the league cup although the final opponents being Leicester and Everton made it slightly easier. Hoping for another successful second season, hopefully challenging for the European places once again, I have a very impressive £82 mil transfer budget and so far I've only signed Harry Maguire from Leicester for £25 mil. I know I need to improve the depth of the squad but I'm not 100% on who I want and for what positions, also looking to improve how quick the team is especially going forward, for all their positives Gabbiadini, Austin and especially Carrillo aren't rapid and although Long is the quickest his age and poor finishing count against him so I'm looking to sell him.

I'd definitely recommend starting a save with Southampton, I think they have a squad that can play a few differing formations as well as having enough quality to cause the odd upset too! 

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone recommend some tactics that will work for Southampton? Please, no downloadable tactics from the exploit strata, but rather something tried and tested with Soton.

I guess playing with wingers is a good idea, but in my mind wingers are related to 1 striker formations, and Soton have too many strikers on their books to not play two up front.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of got something working.

Finished 7th in the first season and reached the FA Cup final, which ended in a 2-1 defeat to Man City.

Playing a 532/352 based on Cleon's brilliant thread about this setup at Sheff Utd.

Bought Andreu Fontas and Moussa Dembele for the first team. Sold a lot of dead weight and wingers. Dembele was the most inconsistent striker I have ever seen. Huge dips and peaks in form.

I have just started the second season. I have bought Jamaal Lascelles, Lewis Dunk, Thomas Delaney, Max Arnold and Andrea Petagna for the first team.

Lineup for season 2:

Forster - Cedric, Lascelles, Dunk, Fontas, Bertrand - Delaney, Højbjerg, Arnold - Petagna/Dembele, Austin.

So far I have played 4 friendlies, where especially my defense stepped up big time compared to last season and 3 EL games. Beat Ventspils from Latvia 2-0 and 5-0. Then went on to face swedish BK Häcken and won the first match 1-0.

Archived