FM tactical gods

So many guys here preaching tactics that is just confusing new players or those who need help. I just spent 2 days searching for solution for my Montpellier beta game. I read tactical department wasted my time and then I decided to do experiments on my own until I found the correct answers. And that is the real problem I have here on forums.

Tactical gurus never tell it like it is -----> each game is a different story and when u think anything regarding tactics you have to consider the broader picture like which country first and competition...what kind of football is played there...then quality of your players compared to other teams in the league...then quality of players/characteristics and suitability for execution of your plan plus you have now  squad dynamics to be aware of etc.

All suggestions u get are out of context really and then u read posts 'can't win' and stuff. Somebody posts a specific question and there are 30 opposite ideas yet nobody knows the depth of a problem and what kind of players the guy has in the first place not to mention which league he is in etc. 

I hope someone makes a simple template with basic instructions as a guide for at least major football leagues for top/middle/weaker teams with good and bad ideas so new players or ppl in trouble can read and compare and learn to solve the problems they have instead of downloading ridiculous miracle god mode tactics and getting nothing or tweaking things for months without solution.

FM 2018 is the real deal already. Many nice new features but when they unlock all the potential in one or two updates it will be best ever.

You'll find that these people who you are having a go at do keep it simple and tell the user to experiment so they can find solutions and understand them better. And what's wrong with 30 different ideas? You realise football can be played many different ways right and there isn't a one fix for all approach? There are also many different ways to fix things if something is wrong.

If you experimented though and found the correct answers why would you even need a guide? The fact you think the game plays different football based on the leagues you are in is widely off the mark btw. Footballing culture doesn't really happen in FM, not like you are suggesting anyway.

Footballing principles are relevant to all leagues, all nations etc, they don't change just because you are in the lower leagues or playing abroad. Styles of play are the same always just like the basic principles of football are always the same. They're not league specific. 

I agree that there is a huge amount of information out there and not all of it can be exactly right. I haven't read a perfect guide, I don't think one exists. The trick is really to read as much as you can, try stuff out, keep what works and ditch the rest. At its heart its just a question of getting a group of players that can keep goals out and score a few at the other end. Where the avalanche of opinions comes in is on what is the best way to do that. Some people swear by micro-management, some by Mentality, Shape, Roles and Duties and that's it. Some people have the philosophy of attack being the best form of defence, whilst others firmly believe that all success is built on a solid defence and clean sheets. Some people prioritise physicals above everything else, others take mentals like Determination all day long. They're all trying to do that same thing. Beat the AI. But they're all coming at it from different directions. Some people have a good grasp of real football theory, others don't.

Ultimately I feel beginners have three choices. The first is you satisfy yourself with downloading tactics, you can have short and mid term success that way. The second is that you set up the simplest system imaginable and tweak it over time. This can be as simple as playing a bog standard 4-4-2 and just experimenting with the Mentality function or the Defensive Line and seeing how it effects your play in attack and defence. Thirdly, you can read as much as you can and try to tease out the common threads and universals from all of the subjective stuff that comes with it. When someone tells you a certain shape is always the best, ignore them. When someone tells you that you have to do things a certain way, ignore them. You don't. But if they explain WHY they have done something you can test it yourself and see if you get the same results. For example, if someone tells you that they use a certain shape because it makes the players play closer together then you can try and see if its true. Play 25 minutes on a compact shape and then another 25 minutes on a stretched out shape. Notice the way it impacts your passing, the way it impacts how your players reorganise when you lose the ball. I've done all three and no suggestion is better than another one. I've been playing FM since CM01/02 and I'm still coming to terms with a lot of this stuff. Don't lose patience. Don't compare yourself or your success to anyone else. Lock down whatever knowledge that you can and build from there.

The only advice I can give you is not to try your favorite approach to things. You should always listen to assistants recommendation on suggested formation, and make that formation work. Both structured and fluid and more and less agressive football is played in low and in top league, but the quality of players isn't the same. A tactic that is setup correctly can be used equally in top and in low league. But it will not fit every team everywhere. As I already said, make the assistants recommended formation work.

Lol that's the point, experiment on your own and find answers because that's the easiest way you can learn things. People here can help you, but they won't spread Nutella on the slice of bread for you. You should do that on your own. People here give you what's needed, Nutella, bread and a knife so you can do your thing. 

10 minutes ago, Armistice said:

People here give you what's needed, Nutella, bread and a knife so you can do your thing

Actually we "show" you how to do your bread, you still need to bring your own nutella, bread and knife first. :-) speaking of which now i am hungry!

Archived